Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Ok.. I'm stumped here...

How do I set a folder items display to mimic how it is in windows?

When I open up Finder > F34R > Downloads >

I want it to display folders first, by name order A to Z. Then under that, the files in name order A to Z.

How the "F" do I get it like that? I did it by using the Kind option under item arrangement, but it doesn't alphabetize properly.

I've searched around and I edited the InfoPlist.strings file from <string>Finder</string> to <string> Finder</string>

That didn't help.

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
You edited the wrong line InfoPlist.strings.

It's the "Folder" entry in "/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings" (or whatever language you are using). It's binary encoded so you need to convert it first before editing:

Run the following commands in the Terminal (it's in Applications/Utilities) to edit the file:

Code:
sudo plutil -convert xml1 /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings

To edit the file, look for the <string> below the Folder <key>:
Code:
sudo nano /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings

When complete press Ctrl+X and press y to save the file.

To convert it back into binary:
Code:
sudo plutil -convert binary1 /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings

After that relaunch Finder (option + right click on the Finder icon and choose "Relaunch")

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I was too specific... sorry. That's the same file I went to.

/System/Library/CoreServices/

I right clicked on Finder.app and chose Show Package Contents. From there, I opened /Contents/Resources/English.lproj/

I opened InfoPlist.strings with text wrangler, and edited the string for Folder just by adding that space in front of Folder.

Is that not the same as going through what you posted?

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
I was too specific... sorry. That's the same file I went to.

/System/Library/CoreServices/

I right clicked on Finder.app and chose Show Package Contents. From there, I opened /Contents/Resources/English.lproj/

I opened InfoPlist.strings with text wrangler, and edited the string for Folder just by adding that space in front of Folder.

Is that not the same as going through what you posted?

The files are write-protected so without actually inputting your password when saving it won't actually be saved. I think that going through terminal is more reliable than going through a normal text editor.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
The files are write-protected so without actually inputting your password when saving it won't actually be saved. I think that going through terminal is more reliable than going through a normal text editor.

Yeah, I changed the permissions to read/write on it. Did have to authenticate and enter my password to save it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.