Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
It's looking pretty certain that the 5S is going to include a fingerprint sensor to at least unlock your phone and hopefully to allow lockdown of selected folders, apps & photos etc.

Personally I think this'll make things so much easier - so I like the idea.

I'm also hoping that some of this technology will cascade down through iOS 7 and that one, as yet unrevealed, feature will be the ability for the rest of us without a fingerprint sensor to lockdown various areas of our phone with a passcode.

Although I don't use one to unlock my phone due to inconvenience, I would definitely make use of the ability to custom lock selected aspects.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Yet, I didn't see it in any beta. Long shot...

True - but if it were in the Beta, people would've made the link between that and the Fingerprint Sensor, which despite all the convincing rumours will not be officially confirmed by Apple until later today.

It could also be used as another sales technique for people to upgrade to the 5S once they've experienced the benefit of selective lockdown.

"We've given you this extra capability which you are enjoying using, but imagine how much more convenient it would be on a shiny new phone with our TouchID sensor"

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
So we didn't get it this time around . . . shame.

Hopefully it'll appear in a 7.x release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.