Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caioferrari

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Hi,
I've been using Snow Leopard for many years with has been working very well for everything I want until... today.

I have a Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz iMac with 4Gb RAM and Radeon 2600 PRO video.

Mainly, are two things that made me start to think about and upgrade:

1 - I use AirPlay a lot, but in Snow it works only with iTunes. But I wanna use all Apple Audio Plugins (AU Units - 31 band equalizer, parametric eq, low and highpass filters etc) which I really don't know why is not available with iTunes just only with a few 3rd party programs. But, all that 3rd party programs doesn't work with Airplay. I knew that in 10.8 any audio can be transferred with AirPlay which is nice for me.

2- I'm planning to by SimCity which needs 10.7.5 ou + to work.

The thing is, Snow is a great system that ever worked very well to me. I've installed it since it's release date and it never ever crashed and it made my system work faster that 10.5.
I don't know which OS choose for an upgrade. Since I don't have a newer Mac, speed is a real thing here. Does worth the upgrade for 10.8? Should I wait for 10.9?

What do you guys recommend for me?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi,
I've been using Snow Leopard for many years with has been working very well for everything I want until... today.

I have a Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz iMac with 4Gb RAM and Radeon 2600 PRO video.

Mainly, are two things that made me start to think about and upgrade:

1 - I use AirPlay a lot, but in Snow it works only with iTunes. But I wanna use all Apple Audio Plugins (AU Units - 31 band equalizer, parametric eq, low and highpass filters etc) which I really don't know why is not available with iTunes just only with a few 3rd party programs. But, all that 3rd party programs doesn't work with Airplay. I knew that in 10.8 any audio can be transferred with AirPlay which is nice for me.

2- I'm planning to by SimCity which needs 10.7.5 ou + to work.

The thing is, Snow is a great system that ever worked very well to me. I've installed it since it's release date and it never ever crashed and it made my system work faster that 10.5.
I don't know which OS choose for an upgrade. Since I don't have a newer Mac, speed is a real thing here. Does worth the upgrade for 10.8? Should I wait for 10.9?

What do you guys recommend for me?

I would wait for 10.9 Mavericks, if your system is eligible for it.

It's a lot like Snow Leopard, in that it has some new features, but it is really about optimizing performance compared to the previous OS. It's very quick, and battery life and memory usage are much improved.

Should only be a few months away. If you can't wait, update to Mountain Lion now and then Mavericks when it's out. Otherwise, try to hold it, it's definitley worth it.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Wait for Mavericks. Your system will support is and will benefit from it. I recommend backing up and doing a clean install though.

caioferrari

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks a lot you guy for the advice. :D

I just wan't know how I can make a clean install since its a upgrade downloaded from internet.

With my old Macs I always did a format and a installation from the disk. And now what?

I have to download the OS from Apple Store and just make a clean install and then throw alway all the files from the old system ? Or has a "cleaner way" to install the new system.

By the way I can and I will wait for 10.9

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.