Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Ok, so I like having auto -arranje ON when Im in the Finder, I put some photo on a folder an automatically it arranges/sort everything by name. However, I like my desktop not to have this. I like having my files i the specific order I put them in, and sometimes even overlapping if I want to. I want complete freedom on my DESKTOP! How do I set this?

BTW, when I say desktop, I mean the actuall dsektop you see with the dock. I still want for the documents to auto-arranje when Im viewng the Desktop Folder in a Finder windows, but only in this particular ocasion. Please help.....

Nov 28, 2010
located
When you right click onto your Desktop in an empty area and select the SORT menu, what is checked there?

MR2ss_2013_09_10_pA1_FinderRightClickSortingBy.png

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
When you right click onto your Desktop in an empty area and select the SORT menu, what is checked there?

If I check to none, items go messy. If I check to Name, items get auto arranjed. But this isnt exactly what I want, let me be more specific:

Once items not auto/locked arranjed, how do I quicly arrrange my desktot by name, but preserves the not obligatory autoarrange for new items?

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011

Ok, got it. I have to set "Arrange" to "None", and then when I want to arrange what I already have but not influenciate future documents, I set "clean up"

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
If I check to none, items go messy.
I like my desktop messy, but you can make it a bit neater without auto arranging by checking the "Snap to Grid" option in that contextual menu. Be aware, it only affects an icon after you move it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.