PDA

View Full Version : Do you regret getting your PB?

generik
Nov 23, 2005, 08:00 PM
Just a feeler for fellow sentiments, especially in view that smoking faster iBooks are coming in weeks (supposedly), and of course the various teething issues (stuttering sound, flickering screen) and last but not least the lines.

Anyone else having post purchase regrets?

joecool85
Nov 23, 2005, 08:17 PM
I don't regret buying mine...but then again, I bought it 2.5 years ago.

dadio2002
Nov 23, 2005, 09:12 PM
At first when i bought my powerbook just in auguest, that did cross my mind a couple times. That was when i was still new to OS X coming from windows. Whole compatability was getting to me. Now i couldnt be happier. With macintels coming out i wont want to touch a windows machine.:D

mduser63
Nov 23, 2005, 09:46 PM
Mine's a few days over a year old, but I can honestly say it's one of the very best purchases I've ever made. I've never gotten as much consistent use out of something I've owned. I'm literally on the thing 6-12 hours per day and it goes almost everywhere with me. The next laptop I buy will most certainly be another PowerBook (likely a Rev. B Intel PB).

technocoy
Nov 23, 2005, 10:08 PM
was an amazing machine (of course it was a final rev) but my new one, as much as i love the powerbook, has really let me down, but unfortunately, i can't do without right now. I'm really dissapointed in apple currently.

This lines issue is one thing, yes it's annoying, but I thought "hey, i can live with it for now". THEN, I start having issues when i run over one gigabyte of RAM. seems apple can't fix it in any of the machines it's happening in, and from what i gather, thats alot of the new 15s.

Don't get me started on my 30" cinema.

Apple has a VERY loyal user base. we have been there through thick and thin, sour and sweet, but only now am i as a devout user beginning to think they are not being as loyal to us, the people who made them and kept them going as they should be.

don't get me wrong. I love apple, and i want them to expand and do well, but not at the loss of one of the major things that i have always boasted about. their quality.

The last 4 major products I have purchased from apple have had defects that apple refuses to acknowledge in a proper and timely way. (these all being computer related purchases, since strangely, all my iPod purchases have been fine). prior to that I have NEVER returned, nor had service performed on ANY prior piece of hardware from apple.

This is disconcerting to say the least. I'm battling to stay in there, but it is tough when you, as a user, feel left out in the cold when it comes to buying an apple product and truly being enthused and satisfied with that purchase.

Yes, I will continue to use my mac, but everytime it slows to a crawl because of a blatant problem, or i glance at the stuck pixels in the middle of my 30" workspace, or I see the lines in my powerbook display, it makes me flinch just a little, and i feel a bit more humbled than i used to as i arrogantly bragged to windows and dell users about the quality and support i had received from apple. Sure, perfect LCDs would drive the cost of the diplays SKY HIGH... Dell can afford to do it steve, are you saying apple isn't as good or devoted to it's customers as dell? Oh and samsung can do it, oh and doesn't samsungs factories MAKE many of the panels that are used in our Macs and Cinema displays?

If being a larger percentage of the market means suffering the same quality and customer service problems the rest of them are now, then I say I prefer to remain in the niche.

Sorry for the rant, just a little irritated right now.

technocoy

itgoesbuzz
Nov 23, 2005, 10:20 PM
i bought mine 15" 1.5GHz in July and i was unsure if i should wait until the intels seeing that i didnt absolutly need a computer this year. i got greedy though and went ahead and got it. i have to say that its the best thing i have ever bought. i take it with me to school, and being a biomedical science major i practically live in the science hall. I am able to bring my lab reports with me and do them while im at school...i really believe it has helped me gradewise. while i will want an intel powerbook when they come out i will wait until i get to grad school because that will be a good time to get one for me. but i have not regretted buying mine, the only thing i regret is maybe not getting the 1.67 model with 128mb video ram....thats not a big deal though...for what i do i prob. wouldnt notice a difference

ericssonboi
Nov 23, 2005, 10:22 PM
was an amazing machine (of course it was a final rev) but my new one, as much as i love the powerbook, has really let me down, but unfortunately, i can't do without right now. I'm really dissapointed in apple currently.

This lines issue is one thing, yes it's annoying, but I thought "hey, i can live with it for now". THEN, I start having issues when i run over one gigabyte of RAM. seems apple can't fix it in any of the machines it's happening in, and from what i gather, thats alot of the new 15s.

Don't get me started on my 30" cinema.

Apple has a VERY loyal user base. we have been there through thick and thin, sour and sweet, but only now am i as a devout user beginning to think they are not being as loyal to us, the people who made them and kept them going as they should be.

don't get me wrong. I love apple, and i want them to expand and do well, but not at the loss of one of the major things that i have always boasted about. their quality.

The last 4 major products I have purchased from apple have had defects that apple refuses to acknowledge in a proper and timely way. (these all being computer related purchases, since strangely, all my iPod purchases have been fine). prior to that I have NEVER returned, nor had service performed on ANY prior piece of hardware from apple.

This is disconcerting to say the least. I'm battling to stay in there, but it is tough when you, as a user, feel left out in the cold when it comes to buying an apple product and truly being enthused and satisfied with that purchase.

Yes, I will continue to use my mac, but everytime it slows to a crawl because of a blatant problem, or i glance at the stuck pixels in the middle of my 30" workspace, or I see the lines in my powerbook display, it makes me flinch just a little, and i feel a bit more humbled than i used to as i arrogantly bragged to windows and dell users about the quality and support i had received from apple. Sure, perfect LCDs would drive the cost of the diplays SKY HIGH... Dell can afford to do it steve, are you saying apple isn't as good or devoted to it's customers as dell? Oh and samsung can do it, oh and doesn't samsungs factories MAKE many of the panels that are used in our Macs and Cinema displays?

If being a larger percentage of the market means suffering the same quality and customer service problems the rest of them are now, then I say I prefer to remain in the niche.

Sorry for the rant, just a little irritated right now.

technocoy

I havn't had any problems with my Powerbook (Rev D.)
Respect to technocoy for the post above... well said for sure..

Bern
Nov 23, 2005, 10:23 PM
I have never regretted getting my 12" Powerbook earlier this year, it has been one of the most productive computers I have owned.

As for a Mactel laptop next year, I would be very surprised if Apple were to release a Mactel iBook before a Powerbook. Unless of course the Mactel version of this iBook is very low specification otherwise the gap between the two would be too small. If they do release a Mactel iBook before the Powerbook then I would be cautious to buy it as it will most likely be upgraded again by the end of the year in any case.

puckhead193
Nov 23, 2005, 10:37 PM
When i bought my powerbook about 2 years ago their was rumor about intel. I love my powerbook. I love the size/weight the speed. THe only thing i wish it had was a larger HD, other then that i'm in love. I will have to see about getting a new intel powerbook in a few years. I might need to get a powermac for my future hopeful job.

Eevee
Nov 23, 2005, 11:06 PM
Love my 15" PB I got last year. Can't live without it. Very, very mobile!

[B] technocoy[B/], sorry to hear about your PB and 30" monitor. My 23" monitor has one stuck pixel on the upper left corner. Sometimes, it's annoying, but nice to have it connect to my PB.

So, I do not regret getting a PB!

Lacero
Nov 23, 2005, 11:15 PM
Best computer purchase I've ever made. I regret not buying one sooner.

iBlue
Nov 23, 2005, 11:17 PM
not a single regret.

jdiddy
Nov 23, 2005, 11:52 PM
No regrets here.

Spectrum
Nov 24, 2005, 12:37 AM
Yes it's got lines. No it probably wasn't worth the 8 month wait for this new rev, but: Hell! - even after participating extensively in the infamous "horizontal Lines" thread, I still love this machine to bits - it is a huge upgrade for me from my iMacG4, and from a G3 Powerbook that I was borrowing.

I'm on it all day making figures, listening to tunes, surfing, archiving photos, MAMEing, and writing. Even with the display problems, which I do still think are unacceptable for where the machine is targeted (wasn't it released during a PHOTO Expo for example?), it is still, by far, my most enjoyable Mac experience to date. Even surpassing my first immersion into the MacOS on a lowly blueberry iMac...

tekmoe
Nov 24, 2005, 12:51 AM
love my 17"...

tribe3
Nov 24, 2005, 01:35 AM
I believe your main interest is to know the opinions of owners of the latest PB.
This is my 3rd PB. I started 4years ago with a Ti, than passed to a 1.5Ghz 15" aluminum 14 months ago, and now the DL with the famous screen :rolleyes:
I never had to call Applecare with any of them. They always worked flawlessly. My old Ti had some Kernel freezes but it was due to a mouse that went bad
I was happy with my former aluminum but I got some unexpected $$$ and decided to get the new one. I sold my older alum. in $1500 and bought this one for $2100 (with some extra RAM)
I paid roughly:
$100 for the new screen (I like it)
$100 for the 1 year Apple warranty
$100 for the 128MB vram
$100 for the faster and DL superdrive
$ 50 for the scrolling track pad
$ 50 for the longer battery life
$100 for the bling-bling factor:D ( alway nice to open a new box...)
And, I think it has a couple more minor improvements.
So I'm a happy camper. I'm fortunate that the lines don't make me suffer!

I also think that all the folks that are pi$$ed off about the screen, and are calling, and returning, and re-returning and so on; are doing a very big and good serviceal to the rest of us Mac users! Letting Apple know that it isn't easy to screw around with the hard core mac'ers. If apple comes with a fix for the screen issue I will of course take advantage of it, but I will also post in this and other forums my thank you for you guys that are all over Apple about this.
I don't do it because I don't see it as such a bad thing ... so you know... If I'm not convinced myself, it's really hard to convince others (apple) to recognize a problem that I don't really see...
As the quality of all the Mac screens... hummm... I was at a a sony style shop and those sony vaio screens are awesome. I think they are better than all the mac displays (if I'm wrong please someone let me know it.

Excuse the long post.

Have all a happy thxgiving!

bousozoku
Nov 24, 2005, 01:46 AM
I've had my 1.33 GHz 15.2 inch refurb since right before about the time the 1.5 GHz machines arrived and I can't say that I've had any regrets. Of course, I'd like to have the latest displays but oh well. There will always be something better. That's how companies get new and repeat customers.

Had I been asked this question about my Wallstreet, the answer would have been a definite yes. That was a POS.

iEdd
Nov 24, 2005, 01:52 AM
Not a regret in the world with the two in my sig :)

Seasought
Nov 24, 2005, 02:14 AM
I just bought mine last weekend despite all the concerns about newer macs on the horizon and this supposed 'line issue'. I've been doing some heavy photoshop work without problems, surfing the Internet, chatting, everything - it's great (and no eye strain headaches or other problems).

I've never been happier (both with a computer and in general because of it). The last time I was this happy/excited with a computer was when I received my first PC at Christmas when I was younger. Now I understand why people love their Macs so much. It's something you have to experience for yourself.

I don't care if a dozen new ones come out tomorrow, I love mine and am completely happy with my purchase.

No regrets on the investment (and it's been awhile since I can say that about any computer-related item).

fistful
Nov 24, 2005, 03:00 AM
Slightly.

In the year and a half I've had it I've been through 1 power brick, the second is acting up now too (they're pretty much junk imo), the Hard Drive failed last month (still haven't replaced it yet, running off an external) and the battery is pretty much shot (but I suppose that's a problem with all batteries that get a lot of use).

Otherwise I'd say I like it too much, more than I should, when I should be doing something else. I think I would have been better off with a PowerMac because I've never used a computer this much when I've only had a desktop.

johnnyjibbs
Nov 24, 2005, 03:25 AM
I bought my 12" PB 1GHz over 2 years ago now and it's one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I needed it when I did and the updates happened JUST in time (rev B) with a significant update. I had to get it 1 month before the iBook went to G4 (@800MHz) and so I'm glad I went with PB. Besides, I needed a Superdrive. If I'd have gone with the iBook G3 900MHz at the time, I would have been screwed these days but, as I have it, I spent £100 more (education discount see) and now have a Core Image-compatible graphics card and many more features. In this time I have had no problems whatsoever with it and have successfully made the transition from Jaguar to Tiger (got Panther for cheap via up-to-date), which has only made it faster.

No regrets whatsoever.

Nik_Doof
Nov 24, 2005, 03:57 AM
I do slightly regret getting a powerbook, the small niggling problems i have are my own fault for not getting AppleCare.

I've got the following problems with my powerbook:

* Unbalanced backlighting
* Slight kinks in the edges of the casing
* Anodizing wearing off on wrist rests
* the classic Rev B extremely poor battery preformance (dropped 15% in the last month)

While theres nothing majorly wrong i feel stupid for not getting AppleCare to resolve the backlighting problem.

Will Cheyney
Nov 24, 2005, 04:33 AM
I bought a 500Mhz Titanium PowerBook G4 as soon as they were released back in 2001 and I have never had ANY problems with it. None. Apart from a hard disk upgrade (10GB soon ran out) and 512MB extra memory it hasn't changed in 4 years - and I STILL use it.
Apart from application loading time, Flash .swf compilation and (of course) video exporting, there is actually very little I can't do on it that I can on my dual 2.7Ghz G5 (if anything, actually).
It's still quick as hell (thanks to the brilliant OS), looks the part and beats any PC I've ever used with it's lid shut.

No quibbles or regrets AT ALL. I hope my G5 stands the test of time as well.

Maxiseller
Nov 24, 2005, 05:52 AM
I am aware that technically you are asking about "newer" powerbooks, but I had the last revision of the Titanium book, and kept it about a year and a half. It was a great machine, but it did have it's flaws; for example, I suffered from the dreaded hinge issue (It snapped and therefore was entirely useless and apple wanted lots of dollars for a repair) the hard drive died on me (I know, not Apple's fault perhaps) the paint wore off, the battery got jammed in and couldn't be removed/etc and just little things were popping up all over the place such as dead pixels, the lid not staying down etc...

So; I think I had a bad machine, but what I would seriously advise people out there to do is get AppleCare. I know, its money for nothing, but you know, if your Powerbook does need a repair it's going to cost you the earth. If I'd have paid my 250 for AppleCare, I could have had all those things fixed...as it was, my powerbook went on eBay under the heading "SPARES OR REPAIR"

wattage
Nov 24, 2005, 06:19 AM
My 667 TiBook Rocks the Hizzy!! Just upgraded the HD to 100gig, RAM is now 768. I used Applecare once for a stuck CD-ROM, not to mention phone calls as this was my first Mac.

Question, regarding the 20,23,30 inch Displays:

I have heard Apple's criteria for replacement is something like 5 dead/stuck pixels in one square inch....Has anyone asked or tried to take the display out in the store before purchasing to check it....That way you would not get home to find only 1-4 bad pixels??

GlynJones
Nov 24, 2005, 06:19 AM
Yes and no.

I have owned my powerbook for a year now but have not used it much for the last 6 months or so. The reason .... i bought a Powermac G5 Dual 2.0.

So yes as i don't use it that much now ... no because if i had not bought that i would not have been introduced to OSX and onto a Powermac.

MacRumorUser
Nov 24, 2005, 06:22 AM
No regrets here. Bought a 12" June of this year and loved it, as I needed someway of accessing broadbandfrom a hotspot in the nearest town, stuck in the country with no chance of broadband - the machine was perfect.

Decided however when the new machines were released in october to bite the bullet and buy a newer version. So sold my 12" for only 100 Euros less than I paid (love macs resell value) and bought the 15".

No regrets, I like the extra screen space and clarity of the screen - compared to dull screen on the 12". Not too much bigger either. :)

In regards to the poster with the stuck 'pixels' on his 30" ACD. Surely if its a batch in one place this would be covered for replacement by Apple. I had a 20" with one stuck and it pissed me off - more so than any line issue associated with the new PB's. Thankfully the backlight on the ACD died twice and so apple offered me a replacement or a refund. I took the refund and with the same money I paid for the older ACD I got two of the Aluminum 20"s and still had 100 Euro to put towards a new GFX Tablet.... First time I was delighted to have a defective product :D

petej
Nov 24, 2005, 06:25 AM
Very happy with my PB 17 1.33. Very happy that processor speeds have not increased much since I purchased. Tiger now runs so sweetly on it. It gets used a lot and it does what is does extremely well. I only ever desire a bit more speed when rendering video but I have no problems just leaving it for a while to get on with the job. This was the most future proofed machine I have ever purchased. I didn't expect it to be at the time but I am thrilled it has turned out that way. Won't be rushing to get an Intel laptop - nothing to do with intel its just that I don't need one. Hopefully I'll get another couple of years out of this one.

scarlets knees
Nov 24, 2005, 06:43 AM
mmmm I do wonder now and again if I could have gone with an ibook as I'm not using some of the extra stuff I thought I would like the sd. Also the hd is filling up way quicker than I thought it would and the power brick broke and it was a nightmare just to find out how to get it replaced:confused: :mad: , if I had applecare it would have been easy but on the 1 year warranty they make you jump thruogh hoops (mmmm...I wonder why...!!)

BUT
I love my 9 month old 12"pb, :) though. As a switcher OSX is a dream, everything has been easy and I miss it when I'm on my work wintel. Things like the screen that I thought might bother me don't. I suppose the biggest 'regret' is that now I want a new pb everytime they update or i see a cheap 15". Think they've got me hooked and it's going to cost...

wildcard
Nov 24, 2005, 06:45 AM
This is the first Powerbook (new DL 15") that I cannot honestly say "no" to in terms of regretting it. I've had a G3/800 Ibook (one with logic board problems), 2 G4/Ibooks, 2 TiBooks, and a 12" Rev A Albook, and by far, the 15" DL's screen has been the biggest disappointment so far, in terms of quality. I've returned two of them to Apple to date. I realize that this line issue will probably take MONTHS to sort out at best. I will say, though, that I am still happy with the quality of customer service I've gotten from Apple. I've been fortunate enough to get techs and product specialists that actually listened to me instead of insisting on walking through scripts ("You have lines during the Apple Hardware Test? That's definitely hardware-we can skip the rest of the troubleshooting."). And while Customer Relations has 15-20 minute hold times, they've been good to work with as well, albeit slow. Hopefully the third new Albook is a charm-I was upgraded to a 17" DL Powerbook at no additional cost :D

ionisation
Nov 24, 2005, 06:52 AM
i don't regret getting mine in july this year. i had waited for well over a year until i had enough cash/speculating about upgrades. i think it's great. first mac i have owned, but used them for years for music etc.

Melkor
Nov 24, 2005, 07:57 AM
Not in the slighest. I love the thing. It does all I need it to do.

YS2003
Nov 24, 2005, 08:00 AM
I think PB lines are well-made & designed notebook computer. I was sucked into Apple with the Ti PB about 4 years ago (when the first OS X appeared in the market) and ended up buying a 15" and 12" PB. With ACDs, they can serve almost as a desktop replacement (with so much space to spare on the desk space).

I am interested in the new Intel Mac next year and the current Quad PM. But, the tasks I do with my Macs are done flawlessly and I am hard pressed to find a rational to buy another Mac. Even my Ti PB (now 4 years old) is doing well and with a new 100 GB HD, I put a new life into that machine a few months ago.

PB is so nicely made that I don't want to take it out on the road. I don't want it to get cosmetic damages (like, you don't want to drive a brand new top of the line Land Rover or Porsche SUV for off-roading, even though it is made to handle that).

Many people here say the current iBook is close to PB line in terms of the performance and feature lists. I also have a new 12" iBook for on the road use (I can tolerate the damages to iBook as it is cheap; if it breaks after one year warranty, I will buy new one). But, I find iBook sometimes sluggish compared to my PBs.

drsuse
Nov 24, 2005, 08:47 AM
no problems with my rev d 15" / 1.67 / 128 vram.

just wish i could afford another 512-1gb ram - but it's that or a flash for my d70 and i'm going to go for the flash.

motherduce
Nov 24, 2005, 10:24 AM
I regretted getting my DL 15.2" PB the day I opened it up to a crappy screen.

I returned it earlier this week for a full refund. For $2000, a lousy screen, battery that wouldn't charge, and a latch that wouldn't close, of course I regretted it.

Sad thing is, the other ones I looked at in the store had the same line issue, and while I know it's not an issue for some/most, it's a big deal to me, as I can see them clearly and they are annoying and distracting, not to mention it's just wrong to pay that much for a computer with a known faulty screen.

So, now on to my next decision about what to get. I'm down to just an old Inspiron 8000 900 Mhz running Windows 2000. I have the refund money and some money from the sale of my desktop burning a hole in my pocket, but now it's back to the waiting/reading/reviewing game for me.

plinkoman
Nov 24, 2005, 11:30 AM
i could never regret buying this thing. best thing i've ever spent my money on http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emthup.gif

besides, i rather like knowing that i have the last ppc pb ever. in that sense, it will always be the best ;)

xyian
Nov 24, 2005, 12:17 PM
I only felt guilty at the time because I couldn't afford my PB. So, subsequently I sold it. Now, I only feel guilt and anguish that I don't have one. I suppose though, that I will get a Mactel iBook when they come out.:(

Nereus
Nov 24, 2005, 01:41 PM
I will never regret that I switched to Mac, but I'm sad about the line-issue with the new 15" PB. I have sent it in to service, and we'll see if Apple do anything with it to solve the problem, but I'm not very optimistic.

SummerBreeze
Nov 24, 2005, 02:17 PM
My 12" Rev D PowerBook is one of the best purchases I've ever made, and that's including the brand new car I bought in June.

The great thing about this computer is how portable it is. I take it with me to class (I'm an English/Psychology double major) and the library, and I am able to get some much work done on it. The wireless isn't perfect, but I can connect easily to the school's wi-fi networks and the one that I set up in my apartment.

But even though it's so portable, it's also much more powerful that any other laptop I've had due to OS X. I love to connect it to my monitor when I'm in my room, I play music through my external creature speakers and it's almost the same as having a desktop computer. I'm currently saving up for a 20" ACD to plug my baby into.

I'm sure this computer will serve me well for years to come, and I probably won't go Macintel until I start law school. No regrets here.

revisionA
Nov 24, 2005, 02:19 PM
I havent been this into computers since I was a kid.

Yes, there couldve been some more improvements, but its a sturdy machine and I feel as confident pushing it for harder tasks as I do a desktop, usually with similar results.

$

3lions
Nov 24, 2005, 03:24 PM
I bought my 12" in June, haven't regretted it once. I love this machine :D

blueflame
Nov 24, 2005, 03:48 PM
i have a 17inch 1.67ghz model. its wonderful, but i really do wish i had waited until this last revision, i just want the more res. i belive the only difference between the new ones and mne is a little more resolution, and the dldvd stuff. also, i might have gotten a 15inch model, i dont know, maybe just the grass is greener stuff. but always makes me consider like seling mine, or trading or something, stupid apple brainwashing me
ak

MacRumorUser
Nov 24, 2005, 04:02 PM
i have a 17inch 1.67ghz model. its wonderful, but i really do wish i had waited until this last revision, i just want the more res. i belive the only difference between the new ones and mne is a little more resolution, and the dldvd stuff. also, i might have gotten a 15inch model, i dont know, maybe just the grass is greener stuff. but always makes me consider like seling mine, or trading or something, stupid apple brainwashing me
ak

mmmm the apple syndrome. I suffer from that too :D

generik
Nov 24, 2005, 04:07 PM
ak

Well despite the recent update I am sure there will be something for the PB in MWSF too. Let's just hope and wait :rolleyes:

MacRumorUser
Nov 24, 2005, 04:15 PM
Forgot to say thanks to you generik for using a quote from me as your sig :) i'm honored :D :D

generik
Nov 24, 2005, 04:18 PM
Forgot to say thanks to you generik for using a quote from me as your sig :) i'm honored :D :D

Hey, the final runway closure was the winner! :D

Clix Pix
Nov 25, 2005, 12:48 AM
"Non, je ne regrette rien" -- "No, I regret nothing."

I do not regret my first plunge into the world of Mac -- the iMac -- and I do not regret then going on to purchase the 15" PB. Both machines have been outstanding and I have not experienced any problems (knock-on-wood). I have looked very closely at my PB to see if indeed it actually does have the infamous "lines" problem and from what I can tell it doesn't. I am very happy with this laptop and I think will continue to be so for a long time. At least I hope so!

OTB

i4k20c
Nov 25, 2005, 01:58 AM
I am a bit dissapointed actually...

I got my powerbook in late sept, after the paris expo. I got the 12inch powerbook because it's known for its quality. I admit i love using the computer in class, everyone is in wow with its tiny size and its nice look.. but apple quality? I thought these things we're made a bit better.. the little grey lining isn't even stuck all the way down on the aluminum on 1/2 of the front, i can littlerly push the alumium strip in (and it bounces in and out) right above the battery, looking at it from a front view. My battery is nothing close to flush as it should be!

Also everyone told me OSX never crashes or slows down, after installing some programs, still having a good 30gigs left, i only keep 2-3 programs open (safari, mail, adium) and the computer has begun to get beach balls like no other.. doesn't crash? I have to close down safari all the time, and VLC player crashes a bit too much also...

I do hate the fact that i can't get some videos to play cuz the incompatabilities... i really do like this computer, and i am somewhat glad that i did get it cuz i really wanted to see how apple's were.. i won't be getting another computer for a good 3-4 yrs. and unless apple's quality starts to go back up.. i'm not sure if i will get it again..

I do like not worrying about virus's and spyware, but its not worth the extra $500 premium since till this day i have never got a virus or real spyware problems on my comp, i do admit it does take a good sunday every month to run adaware, and norton.. but w.e.

I sound really harsh towards apple in this post, and don't mean to be since most my problems are small, i guess maybe my expectations were a bit to high from how much people rave about apple! :(

macam
Nov 25, 2005, 02:29 AM
So I just bought a 15" PB and I have to say I love it. I don't have any lines. My aluminium is stuck down. It Closes properley. It runs OSX proper fast! It has awesome wireless capabilities (Better than has been touted on this forum!). I can stream iTunes from my Powermac. It runs Photoshop and InDesign quickly. (Saving and rendering could be quicker but I only have 512k of RAM for now!) I'm still getting used to using a trackpad but I am finding the whole two finger scrolling is very very intuitive.

One of my friends also got exactly the same PB as me and is completely new to Mac & OSX. He loves it to bits.

Regrets? - I have a few. But none to do with my new purchase.

I love it to bits!!!!

macam

tristan
Nov 25, 2005, 01:14 PM
A little offtopic, but you know what I always always always regret? Not putting enough RAM in my computer. Every time I upgrade my RAM, I'm always kicking myself saying "why didn't I do this last year"?

Anyway, no regrets at all on my TiBook. But I'm scared to death to buy the new PB.

eva01
Nov 25, 2005, 01:16 PM
I don't regret either of my powerbooks, i love them both, no problems what so ever.

Wonderful machines, absolutely wonderful ^_^

Clix Pix
Nov 25, 2005, 01:50 PM
A little offtopic, but you know what I always always always regret? Not putting enough RAM in my computer. Every time I upgrade my RAM, I'm always kicking myself saying "why didn't I do this last year"?

For years, ever since I bought my first computer, my rule of thumb has been: "double the RAM!" If the machine came with 1 MB RAM (no, I'm not kidding, we're talking a LONG time ago, when DOS ruled the Earth), I doubled it to 2 MB RAM even though at that point I wasn't quite sure what RAM was all about, I just knew it must be a Good Thing to have lots of it. LOL! If the machine came with 32 MB RAM, I doubled it to 64 MB (I remember the salesman saying with genuine confusion, "but lady, why would you need that much RAM? " I was more than happy that I had done that when software began to bloat and bloat, becoming more and more RAM-intensive.....) Next PC I bought came with 64 MB RAM, so, yup, before I left the store I was ready to install more chips to double it to 128 MB). That same machine actually was capable of being increased further so eventually I had to max it out at 256 MB RAM. The next machine I bought I maxed out from the get-go....

When I bought my iMac I immediately maxed it out to 2 GB and then when I ordered my PB BTO I did the same. If and when I buy a PM, I'll put in plenty of memory but in the beginning sure wouldn't be able to afford to max it out to 16 GB RAM! LOL!

I just find that it pays off in the long run to at least double the RAM from the day you bring a new computer home because programs and computers are becoming more RAM-hungry and why postpone the inevitable? You have the benefit of lots of RAM from the very beginning....

OTB