PDA

View Full Version : iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie for iOS Go Free with Purchase of a New Device

MacRumors
Sep 10, 2013, 12:36 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/iwork-iphoto-and-imovie-for-ios-go-free-with-purchase-of-a-new-device/)

During today's iPhone media event, Apple announced that its iWork app suite, including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote will be provided for free to customers who purchase a new iOS device. iLife apps iPhoto and iMovie are also included for free, though it appears Garageband will not be bundled into the deal.

According to Apple, the software will be available for free with the purchase of a new iPad, iPhone, or fifth-generation iPod touch.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/iwork_free.jpg
"We think that iWork is a really key advantage for our customers' productivity, and iPhoto and iMovie are great for creativity," said Tim Cook. "Almost all of our customers want these apps."

Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are normally a $9.99 download from the App Store, while iMovie and iPhoto are priced at $4.99.

Article Link: iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie for iOS Go Free with Purchase of a New Device (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/iwork-iphoto-and-imovie-for-ios-go-free-with-purchase-of-a-new-device/)

ZMacintosh
Sep 10, 2013, 12:39 PM
awesome. but not redeemable for recently purchased devices?

oh,
"10:20 am All apps will now be free. iPhoto, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote."

Seems like its not specific to just new devices? theyre just free in general?

If so, thats awesome

Doctor Q
Sep 10, 2013, 12:44 PM
This will certainly increase the marketshare of these apps, some because of increased use and some because people will install them whether or not they use them.

bushido
Sep 10, 2013, 12:45 PM
so what if i restore my phone?

Eidorian
Sep 10, 2013, 12:45 PM
It's value added software with little effort. It sounds a little desperate but they should have done this in the first place.

Tmelon
Sep 10, 2013, 12:46 PM
So no GarageBand?

Tankmaze
Sep 10, 2013, 12:51 PM
oooo yeahhh... this will really sets apart iOS & Apple from other mobile OS.

Amazing Iceman
Sep 10, 2013, 12:54 PM
Bah! I already bought them all. Will I get a store credit???

Tmelon
Sep 10, 2013, 12:56 PM
Bah! I already bought them all. Will I get a store credit???

Nope.

VasileiosTech
Sep 10, 2013, 01:10 PM
So older iphone owners still need to buy it... this sucks...

MauerFan
Sep 10, 2013, 01:27 PM
That's how I interpreted it anyway. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks!

StonewallBrown
Sep 10, 2013, 01:31 PM
That's how I interpreted it anyway. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks!

That's the question I have. Following the live event feed, it was described as free for all iOS 7 users. However, every article seems to allude to it being only on new devices?

SkippyThorson
Sep 10, 2013, 01:34 PM
At 1:54pm: Bah! I already bought them all. Will I get a store credit???

No.

At 2:11pm: Bah! I already bought them all. Will I get a store credit???

Still no. [Mod note: Fixed :)]

-----

My idea:

Erase and restore, sign in, download all apps free when prompted.

Erase and restore again, restore from backup, re-download them from your Purchase history.

TsMkLg068426
Sep 10, 2013, 01:34 PM
Lame should be free for everyone.

BJMRamage
Sep 10, 2013, 01:35 PM
I am guessing it is not tied to an Apple ID but a Device ID.

I too have an iPad and iPhone (and wife too) and wonder if my Free Apps on the new phone will transfer to the others. Would be great if it did, but thinking that it wont since that is another "enticing" feature to buy a new phone.

Stinks as wife just bought the iPhone 5 last month and the iPad is still a good device and not worthy (yet) of an upgrade.

milo
Sep 10, 2013, 01:36 PM
Looks like just for new devices, but will people who have those new devices get it added to their account so they can be downloaded on other iOS devices on the same account?

Amazing Iceman
Sep 10, 2013, 01:39 PM
No.

Still no.

-----

My idea:

Erase and restore again, restore from backup, re-download them from your Purchase history.

Oops! I'm not sure how that became a double-post... :eek:

SkippyThorson
Sep 10, 2013, 01:41 PM
Oops! I'm not sure how that became a double-post... :eek:

No prob. I see you everywhere, so as a MacRumors-faithful, I couldn't resist. :p

Battlefield Fan
Sep 10, 2013, 01:47 PM
Do I get a refund for having bought these at full price?

darkslide29
Sep 10, 2013, 01:52 PM
Do I get a refund for having bought these at full price?

No, as has been asked and answered on this page. It's only less than a page of posts!

charlituna
Sep 10, 2013, 01:56 PM
awesome. but not redeemable for recently purchased devices?

oh,
"10:20 am All apps will now be free. iPhoto, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote."

Seems like its not specific to just new devices? theyre just free in general?

If so, thats awesome

My guess is that they will be free but you'll have to have iOS 7.

Which will prompt someone to file a lawsuit over having paid for them blah blah

I just hope they aren't preloaded.

Reach9
Sep 10, 2013, 01:56 PM
so what if i restore my phone?

My idea:

That's what I was thinking. But would it work? Can anyone confirm?

joelfriedman
Sep 10, 2013, 02:06 PM
I'd like to know if they will allow iWork collaboration like Google does with Google Docs, that's what I'm waiting for. No man (or woman) is an island, you know?

Anyone heard anything about this?

Best,

Joel

Amazing Iceman
Sep 10, 2013, 02:11 PM
no prob. I see you everywhere, so as a macrumors-faithful, i couldn't resist. :p

Lol! :D

alent1234
Sep 10, 2013, 02:12 PM
does this include ipads bought today?

might buy one for my son today

dazed
Sep 10, 2013, 02:12 PM
They should have done this from the start. They should also give everyone 5GB of iCloud storage per device too.

AppleNewton
Sep 10, 2013, 02:14 PM
They should have done this from the start. They should also give everyone 5GB of iCloud storage per device too.

or atleast match the device capacity for icloud storage

dazed
Sep 10, 2013, 02:36 PM
Will this follow the App Store rules and be installable on upto 5 devices?

linuxcooldude
Sep 10, 2013, 02:39 PM
It's value added software with little effort. It sounds a little desperate but they should have done this in the first place.

It goes along the lines to what Apple has done before. Lowering the price on software or for free as an incentive to buy their hardware. From their operating systems to their applications.

UnfetteredMind
Sep 10, 2013, 02:53 PM
From Apple's website:
iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated after September 1, 2013. See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ for iOS 7 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

Reach9
Sep 10, 2013, 02:56 PM
From Apple's website:

What i was wondering is if you do a restore of your current iPhone and reactivate it, will you be able to download the iWork suite and all? Because it's been activated as a new phone after Sept 1st.

I'm trying to find a loop hole :o

Nermal
Sep 10, 2013, 02:57 PM
Will this follow the App Store rules and be installable on upto 5 devices?

Yes to the first part and no to the second. It'll be installable on all of your devices, just like other App Store apps (they'll surely go into your purchase history like they do when you buy a new Mac).

flottenheimer
Sep 10, 2013, 03:00 PM
Nice move, Apple.
And the right thing to do.

Battlefield Fan
Sep 10, 2013, 03:56 PM
No, as has been asked and answered on this page. It's only less than a page of posts!

thx bro

mjw11
Sep 10, 2013, 03:59 PM
From Apple's website:

Absolute dog ****! These apps should be free for all users! Personnaly I cannot justify paying for example pages to get use from it every now or then on my iPhone when pages on my mac isn't that far away but if it was free I'd use it all the time! Bad move Apple! Booooooooo

myrtlebee
Sep 10, 2013, 04:25 PM
Why were they not redesigned for iOS 7? Neither is iBooks (Not sure about others like Find my Friends, etc) -- the inconsistency is horrid.

iAdamator
Sep 10, 2013, 04:30 PM
I just got an iPad for my Birthday two days ago. I wonder if I can get these free? I checked my account but they still show as paid apps.

UnfetteredMind
Sep 10, 2013, 05:29 PM
I just got an iPad for my Birthday two days ago. I wonder if I can get these free? I checked my account but they still show as paid apps.

You should be able to, but probably will need to wait until iOS 7 is downloaded and installed?

----------

Maybe they'll reconsider and make them free to everyone running iOS 7 (vs activated since Sep 1)? Who knows. It would be nice and I would think it wouldn't require all the tracking/checking.

iAdamator
Sep 10, 2013, 06:01 PM
Yeah I was thinking I might need iOS 7 first. I wonder if I'll need to do it as a clean install?

xlost6
Sep 10, 2013, 06:06 PM
Yeah I was thinking I might need iOS 7 first. I wonder if I'll need to do it as a clean install?

You don't need to but it's best if you do since it's a fresh, brand new iOS.

iAdamator
Sep 10, 2013, 06:07 PM
If I clean install it and then restore either form my Computer or iCloud, does that sort of defeat the purpose of doing a clean install? I read a lot about clean installs and how people say they don't restore from a back up at all. I have way too many important things for me to not restore...one way or another!

xlost6
Sep 10, 2013, 06:16 PM
If I clean install it and then restore either form my Computer or iCloud, does that sort of defeat the purpose of doing a clean install? I read a lot about clean installs and how people say they don't restore from a back up at all. I have way too many important things for me to not restore...one way or another!

Not really. It's just removing all the unnecessary/corrupt files that have been building up over time since the last update.

A clean install is you removing the previous iOS completely and installing the new iOS. That's all.

iAdamator
Sep 10, 2013, 06:54 PM
Is there any real difference between a PC backup vs iCloud? I know due to space, iCloud doesn't store apps, just settings/data/etc and just redownloads apps, where as of course a computer just keeps a copy of the app.

Is any one a "purer" form of recovery?

If not, I will just use my Computer back up since it's much quicker.

MisterBigMack
Sep 10, 2013, 06:55 PM
Waiting to get the new 5th gen iPad which will undoubtedly drop sometime in October with ios7 on it and my current iPhone 5 will also have ios7 too....

I'm guessing ill get the iLife apps for free on my iPad when I boot it up, but then if its in my purchased history, I wonder will I be able to go onto my iPhone 5 and re download these to that for free?

Icaras
Sep 10, 2013, 08:37 PM
Waiting to get the new 5th gen iPad which will undoubtedly drop sometime in October with ios7 on it and my current iPhone 5 will also have ios7 too....

I'm guessing ill get the iLife apps for free on my iPad when I boot it up, but then if its in my purchased history, I wonder will I be able to go onto my iPhone 5 and re download these to that for free?

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'll be getting the 5th gen iPad too, and as all these apps are universal, yes, we will be able to redownload all these to all our other iOS devices.

Lazy
Sep 10, 2013, 08:48 PM

And a pony. Everyone should also get a pony.

----------

Well at least now we'll know whether or not Apple is making any (direct) profit on these apps. :)

caliguy
Sep 10, 2013, 08:58 PM
No.

Still no. [Mod note: Fixed :)]

-----

My idea:

Didn't work for me. I did Erase All Content and Settings, set up as new iPhone, and did not choose to use iCloud. Didn't get a prompt and the apps show up as paid. On iOS 7 GM.

dazed
Sep 10, 2013, 10:46 PM
And a pony. Everyone should also get a pony.[COLOR="#808080"]

I think you mean iPony. The thinnest pony yet.

gkarris
Sep 10, 2013, 10:55 PM
From Apple's website:

Quote:
iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated after September 1, 2013. See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ for iOS 7 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

What i was wondering is if you do a restore of your current iPhone and reactivate it, will you be able to download the iWork suite and all? Because it's been activated as a new phone after Sept 1st.

I'm trying to find a loop hole :o

You said it yourself....

mikeswaggner
Sep 10, 2013, 10:58 PM
They'll probably distribute download cards, with unique download codes on them....

alchemistmuffin
Sep 11, 2013, 03:09 AM
For those wondering:

It will work exactly the same as how iLife is included with new Macs via Mac App Store. Everything will be tied to your Apple ID after initial set up.

Since Apple ID is pretty much required to use the device, when you launch the device for very first time, (yes, very first time), and sign in, the apps will be automatically added and tied to your Apple ID.

So, technically, you can download it to all your devices you own that was previously purchased after setting up the new device.

(note: restoring trick will not work. The device acts like a promo code, once redeemed, it cannot be used again)

PS: This system is going live most likely on day when iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c is released. So basically, only devices with iOS 7 pre-installed will be eligible for free copies of iWork and partial iLife apps. Most likely, Apple will lower the price of devices without iOS 7 preinstalled so users can upgrade, then buy the copies off iTunes.

----------

does this include ipads bought today?

might buy one for my son today

No, only on devices with iOS 7 pre-installed.

I say wait.

Dagless
Sep 11, 2013, 04:55 AM
Looks like I'm sticking with Google Docs.

Taustin Powers
Sep 11, 2013, 06:03 AM
My iPhone 5 had dirt on its camera lense, so I brought it into the store and got it replaced last Friday.

Since this replacement is basically a new phone that was activated Friday night, I should be able to get those apps for free!?

macaddict06
Sep 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
Since Apple ID is pretty much required to use the device, when you launch the device for very first time, (yes, very first time), and sign in, the apps will be automatically added and tied to your Apple ID.

So, technically, you can download it to all your devices you own that was previously purchased after setting up the new device.

So, sounds like if you REALLY don't want to pay for these apps, go to the Apple Store, buy an iPod Touch, go home and set it up, wipe it, return it. You might be out the tax, but in most places that will be <$15 (it would be 11 here).

...right?

IJ Reilly
Sep 11, 2013, 02:13 PM
Next shoe to drop: iWork bundled with new Macs.

scottish
Sep 11, 2013, 08:03 PM
My iPhone 5 had dirt on its camera lense, so I brought it into the store and got it replaced last Friday.

Since this replacement is basically a new phone that was activated Friday night, I should be able to get those apps for free!?

Perhaps. I had to get an iPhone 4 replacement for a similar reason and ended up with two free 'antennagate' cases.

jdpmacav
Sep 12, 2013, 01:58 PM
From Apple's website: iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated after September 1, 2013. See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ for iOS 7 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

Apple's website now says this:

iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated as of September 1, 2013. See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ for iOS 7 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

Not sure what to make of the change...

UnfetteredMind
Sep 12, 2013, 04:13 PM
Apple's website now says this:

Not sure what to make of the change...

LOL, looks like they got a lot of negative feedback for not including people who activated on 1 Sep???

iAdamator
Sep 12, 2013, 05:00 PM
Wonder what that means for me and my iPad I activated on 9/8...

TheBearman
Sep 12, 2013, 09:59 PM
Must be going blind because I just reviewed that full page and don't seen anything about this. Can someone tell me where on that page it states the Sept 1st date?

Picked up an iPod touch last week and trying to avoid returning it if there isn't a need.

iAppParker
Sep 12, 2013, 10:47 PM
claim iPhone includes in the list?

krazykleo
Sep 13, 2013, 12:36 AM
So nothing of Macbook users...lol...I really don't need iLife....as a student iWork is more beneficial. They should give you an option lol

jdpmacav
Sep 13, 2013, 07:39 AM
Must be going blind because I just reviewed that full page and don't seen anything about this. Can someone tell me where on that page it states the Sept 1st date?

Picked up an iPod touch last week and trying to avoid returning it if there isn't a need.

At the bottom of this page. http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/built-in-apps/

jimthing
Sep 17, 2013, 10:54 PM
OK, now that the FULL RELEASE of iOS 7 is here sometime later today, some methodology ideas need checking-out and confirming with this full release version of iOS 7, to see if they do/don't work!

(should also stop the repeat methodology questions here, at least any repeats can be referred to those posts where someone has already tried it!):

METHOD 1: Devices activated FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME after Sep 1, 2013:

- Can someone who activated their device for the very first time AFTER Sep 1, 2013, who was on iOS 6 then upgraded to iOS 7 please confirm you got the option screen to download the FREE iWork apps?

- Can you also confirm they were downloadable on your other idevices sharing the same Apple ID? (should do, of course, but worth confirming.)

METHOD 2: Devices activated before Sep 1, 2013, but re-setup as new device:

- Can someone who activated their device BEFORE Sep 1, 2013, test the "reset device" idea...
Backing-up idevice to Mac, then doing "Erase All Content and Settings" on idevice, then setting-up as new device, downloading iOS 7 in the process did you get the FREE iWork apps?

- If so, can you then reinstall your saved backup OK, and get the iWork apps OK?

- If so, can you also confirm they were also downloadable on your other idevices sharing the same Apple ID?

Method 2 is the most interesting for sure! (I'd try it myself, if it wasn't for my main Mac being fixed at the moment, annoyingly!)

jimthing
Sep 18, 2013, 01:39 PM
OK, now that the FULL RELEASE of iOS 7 is here sometime later today, some methodology ideas need checking-out and confirming with this full release version of iOS 7, to see if they do/don't work!

(should also stop the repeat methodology questions here, at least any repeats can be referred to those posts where someone has already tried it!):

METHOD 1: Devices activated FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME after Sep 1, 2013:

- Can someone who activated their device for the very first time AFTER Sep 1, 2013, who was on iOS 6 then upgraded to iOS 7 please confirm you got the option screen to download the FREE iWork apps?

- Can you also confirm they were downloadable on your other idevices sharing the same Apple ID? (should do, of course, but worth confirming.)

- Can someone who activated their device BEFORE Sep 1, 2013, test the "reset device" idea...
Backing-up idevice to Mac, then doing "Erase All Content and Settings" on idevice, then setting-up as new device, downloading iOS 7 in the process did you get the FREE iWork apps?

- If so, can you then reinstall your saved backup OK, and get the iWork apps OK?

- If so, can you also confirm they were also downloadable on your other idevices sharing the same Apple ID?

Method 2 is the most interesting for sure! (I'd try it myself, if it wasn't for my main Mac being fixed at the moment, annoyingly!)

Anyone?

jimthing
Sep 18, 2013, 08:06 PM
Computer backup and running now, so decided to test myself method 2.

I have an iPhone 5 bought on its release a year ago (so activated well before Sep 1, 2013!).

Backed-up iPhone to my Mac (with phone still on iOS 6), completely reset the phone, set-up phone as new user:
...resulted in: phone re-setup with plain iOS 6.x.

Then went to the phone's Settings > Software Update, downloaded/installed iOS 7 on the phone itself, went to Settings > iTunes & App Store (checked it was my store Apple ID in there, as unfortunately I have to use a different iCloud Apple ID blame Apple vis-a-vis previous MobileMe users accounts!), searched for iWork apps:
...resulted in: the iWork apps NOT being available for FREE.

So there you go, you're straight out of luck: new devices only (whether newly released models or older ones), also activated post Sep 1, 2013, AND also running iOS 7. C'est la vie.
________

Presume method 1 works OK. Will find out on Friday, when I queue for an iPhone 5S and install!

Hope this helps those still wondering. :rolleyes:

ELSELS
Sep 18, 2013, 08:40 PM

Happy "Belated" Birthday iAdamator - :)

Glad you received the iPad :apple: for your birthday gift.

I'm also curious, if say for example, a person buys a BRAND NEW,
Apple iPad 128GB Retina display unit, from any online retailer.

So, I am "assuming" it would come, from the factory (remember this is
an OLDER production run, yet still sealed, Brand New) iPad device, with
probably iOS 6 installed, from the factory?

Okay, you plug it in, you turn it on, then What? Does it instantly want to
ACTIVATE, using the iOS 6 and then shows" "Here's an UPDATE/UPGRADE -
to iOS 7".

Does the new owner, get to install the NEW - iOS 7 AND be entitled to those FREE APPS.?

I would say yes, Does this sound correct?

Thanks to anyone that comments...

Have a nice day...

Ed

jimthing
Sep 18, 2013, 08:55 PM
Does the new owner, get to install the NEW - iOS 7 AND be entitled to those FREE APPS.?

I would say yes, Does this sound correct?

Ed

YES. Is the quick answer.

Provided (a) the VERY FIRST ACTIVATION on the device; (b) this activation was done after Sep 1, 2013; (c) then you'd get the iWork apps FREE after you install iOS 7 on the device.

ELSELS
Sep 18, 2013, 09:37 PM
YES. Is the quick answer.

Provided (a) the VERY FIRST ACTIVATION on the device; (b) this activation was done after Sep 1, 2013; (c) then you'd get the iWork apps FREE after you install iOS 7 on the device.

Hello:

Thank-You very much for your comments and answer(s).

I appreciate that very much.

So, I am thinking, the device (in storage) within the factory sealed box, has not, yet of course, been plugged-in therefore the battery NEEDS charging.

Should the (suggested) - steps to follow by as such: (?)

(1.) Remove iPad device from factory box, (of course). :)

(2.) Plug in the AC Adapter FIRST - (into the wall AC socket) - with the provided USB cable connected to the iPad, and perform (FIRST) a FULL BATTERY CHARGE, PRIOR to CONNECTING the USB cable from iPad INTO the (computer) - using here --> MAC USB port, and then LAUNCHING iTunes.?

(3.) Why I am asking, hopefully not an obvious odd question, is because, I do NOT want to "MESS UP" any chances of being able to utilize the iPad's FIRST TIME EVER (Brand New) ACTIVATION.

(4.) If I understand correctly, then, ONCE, I first time connect the iPad's USB cable to the computer's USB port, and LAUNCH - iTunes, I believe that iTunes would (should) "DETECT" this new device - iPad, and will it (or NOT), immediately ASK ME, to ACTIVATE - with the currently installed iOS 6?

(5.) The way I understand your comments are, it will NEED to be UPGRADED first from iOS 6 to iOS 7, AND at some point, (I am guessing) WHEN the iOS 7 upgrade procedure has completed, WILL it "REBOOT" the iPad, AND then WILL it offer these FREE APPS to me?

(6.) I am basically concerned as to "WHICH" stage, WILL (should) this FREE APPS OFFER screen, be displayed so I may redeem (accept) them?

Thank-You again, very much for your time....and consideration in helping me. :)

Have a nice day,

Ed

charlituna
Sep 18, 2013, 10:31 PM
Okay, you plug it in, you turn it on, then What? Does it instantly want to
ACTIVATE, using the iOS 6 and then shows" "Here's an UPDATE/UPGRADE -
to iOS 7".

yes. if you set it up that is exactly what happens. but from the sounds of things this is fine if it happened after Sep 1

if you are paranoid about it, before you swipe to start the set up do a restore and update to iOS 7.

iAdamator
Sep 19, 2013, 10:34 AM
Late last night I OTA updated my iPad 4 to iOS 7. After the upgrade and during the welcome to iPad process, it did indeed offer me the free iWork apps. Remember my iPad was FIRST activated on 9/8.

One thing of note: I do NOT have the option to download them for free on my other device, namely my iPhone 5. They don't show up in my purchased apps and show up in the app store with prices.

Edit: Now the apps are appearing on my phone in purchased history.

cheesyappleuser
Sep 19, 2013, 11:07 AM
Activated an iPhone 4 on September 11 or something, nothing appeared yet.

ELSELS
Sep 20, 2013, 03:57 AM
Late last night I OTA updated my iPad 4 to iOS 7. After the upgrade and during the welcome to iPad process, it did indeed offer me the free iWork apps. Remember my iPad was FIRST activated on 9/8.

One thing of note: I do NOT have the option to download them for free on my other device, namely my iPhone 5. They don't show up in my purchased apps and show up in the app store with prices.

Edit: Now the apps are appearing on my phone in purchased history.

:)

princew
Sep 23, 2013, 12:53 PM
Anyone know how to download these "free" apps on a 5s? I have never received any kind of download aps screen. Also at the store I restored an icloud backup to get my device back to the way it was. So basically I have a brand new 5s and don't see any way to get these aps.

Thanks for any help

Ghostbusters
Sep 24, 2013, 09:59 AM

- If so, can you also confirm they were also downloadable on your other idevices sharing the same Apple ID? I too have done a fresh install on my 64 GB iPod touch 5. Result: No free iWork or iLife apps. No request to download. No nothing. It would've been nice, but whatever. Until next upgrade, I guess. :rolleyes:

jimthing
Sep 24, 2013, 10:14 AM
Presume method 1 works OK. Will find out on Friday, when I queue for an iPhone 5S and install!

Actually, I won't be testing method 1. As despite being only ~50th in line at my local Apple Store on Friday, I still missed out on getting one, highly annoyingly!
(and in the process also then missed out on the early online orders, so have to wait until sometime "October" now!!)

Thanks a lot Apple and their crap queuing fiasco, especially outside the US!
(if interested, read about it here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1643843 )

Anyway, looks like it works as expected for you guys who did get one, as at least that's something. :)

gc916
Sep 25, 2013, 07:22 AM
Anyone know how to download these "free" apps on a 5s? I have never received any kind of download aps screen. Also at the store I restored an icloud backup to get my device back to the way it was. So basically I have a brand new 5s and don't see any way to get these aps.

Thanks for any help
I purchased my 5s at an Apple store, and the rep had me install from my iCloud backup. When I got home, I realized that the free iWork apps were not available in the App Store. I reset the phone, but I still would have needed to purchase the apps.

I called Apple, and the tech instructed me to backup to iCloud, wipe the phone, and set it up as new. I did, and was able to install the free iWork apps, iPhoto, and iMovie.

As per the tech's instructions, I then did an "Erase All Content and Settings" and restored from my previous backup. It took a few minutes, but all apps were restored to the iPhone, including iWork, etc.

Hope this helps.

patrickowtf
Sep 25, 2013, 09:04 PM
what? i'm not doing that, that's so complicated... wtf apple

i just got a 5s and it's still saying 4.99 in the app store.

darkfiber
Sep 26, 2013, 03:16 PM
what? i'm not doing that, that's so complicated... wtf apple

i just got a 5s and it's still saying 4.99 in the app store.

I just got a 5s the other day and I restored from my backup. I wasn't prompted to download the free apps, but when I just went to them in the App Store, Pages, Keynote and Numbers are listed as being "Free". I already owned iMovie and iPhoto.

Mattvids
Sep 29, 2013, 11:22 AM
Does 5s and 5c have the same camera?

dbanderson1
Oct 21, 2013, 01:47 AM
I just stumbled upon this article. I had already purchased the free iWork apps but somehow missed the iLife ones. So I logged into my computer and went to the App Store to buy them, but they were still listed as $5. When I checked on my iPhone 5C, they were free. Happy downloading!

-D

----------

Does 5s and 5c have the same camera?

Same front facing camera but the 5S has a better rear facing camera. You can compare the specs on Apple's website.