PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces iPhone 5s With 'Touch ID' Fingerprint Sensor

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Sep 10, 2013, 12:44 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/apple-announces-iphone-5s/)

At its media event today, Apple introduced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/09/10Apple-Announces-iPhone-5s-The-Most-Forward-Thinking-Smartphone-in-the-World.html) the new iPhone 5s (http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/). In line with expectations, the iPhone 5s will be the same size and design and the current iPhone 5 but will feature improved specifications and will be available in three colors: Silver, Gold, and Space Gray.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/iphone_5s_forward.jpg
Internally, the iPhone 5s will feature a 64-bit A7 processor that will be up to twice as fast at CPU tasks. Another significant new feature is a "Touch ID" capacitive fingerprint sensor built into the home button that's capable of scanning sub-epidermal skin layers. Touch ID can be used to unlock an iPhone and authorize iTunes purchases.Built into the home button, Touch ID uses a laser cut sapphire crystal, together with the capacitive touch sensor, to take a high-resolution image of your fingerprint and intelligently analyze it to provide accurate readings from any angle. Setting up Touch ID to recognize your fingerprint is easy, and every time you use it, it gets better. The Touch ID sensor recognizes the touch of a finger so the sensor is only activated when needed, preserving battery life. All fingerprint information is encrypted and stored securely in the Secure Enclave inside the A7 chip on the iPhone 5s; it's never stored on Apple servers or backed up to iCloud. Touch ID can also be used as a secure way to approve purchases from the iTunes Store®, App Store or iBooks Store.iOS developers will not get access (http://allthingsd.com/20130910/iphone-developers-wont-get-fingerprint-reader-authentication-option-for-now-anyway/) to the users' fingerprint as a means of authentication, according to AllThingsD, which spoke to Apple SVP Phil Schiller. He declined to comment on whether that sort of access may come in the future.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/touch_id_finger.jpg
The rear camera in the iPhone 5s has a new 5-element lens with an f/2.2 aperture and a sensor that is 15% larger than the current iPhone 5, as well as a dual-LED "True Tone" flash that will adapt to the existing lighting to provide better colors and more accurate skin tones. Other new camera features include Burst Mode, capable of capturing 10 pictures per second and automatically selecting the best shot, and Slo-Mo 720p video capture at 120 frames per second.

The company also launched a new line of $39 leather cases (http://www.apple.com/iphone/accessories/#iphone-5s-cases) for the iPhone 5s.

The iPhone 5s (http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s) will cost $199, $299, and $399 for the 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB models respectively with a 2-year contract. Non-contract, unlocked devices will be available at launch for $649/$749/$849.

The iPhone 5s and the lower-cost iPhone 5c (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/apple-announces-colorful-new-iphone-5c-starting-at-99-on-two-year-contract/) that was also announced today will be available in stores in the US, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore, and the UK starting on September 20.

Notably, there will be no preorders (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/iphone-5s-will-not-be-available-for-pre-order/) for the iPhone 5s.

Article Link: Apple Announces iPhone 5s With 'Touch ID' Fingerprint Sensor (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/apple-announces-iphone-5s/)

rtdunham
Sep 10, 2013, 12:46 PM
That surely means the next iPads will be 64 bit. What incredible gaming machines they'll be.

And I hope somebody brings out an app to turn the camera's 20-image bursts into gifs.

The camera improvements are what will motivate me to buy. The speed improvements are awesome, considering these are really pocket computers. The touch ID is a convenience but without NFC it isn't important to me. Sounds like we'll need to wait another year before that comes.

motoracer1486
Sep 10, 2013, 12:51 PM
New color? Big deal...

viperGTS
Sep 10, 2013, 12:52 PM
Day one buy for me, just for the A7 and better battery life, and the Space Gray color. :)

arif1490
Sep 10, 2013, 12:53 PM
I am really missing the slate version :(:(:(

Tankmaze
Sep 10, 2013, 12:53 PM
that black color should've been in the first place with the iphone 5.
reminisce of the iphone 4 design, and I like it!!

LostSoul80
Sep 10, 2013, 12:54 PM
I like the 5's black a lot better.

metzy25
Sep 10, 2013, 12:55 PM
Not liking the black, looks like white/silver for me!

numlock
New color? Big deal...

you cant be serious. jony ive was working overtime on this

arif1490

so do I.

iapplelove
Sep 10, 2013, 12:56 PM
i'm really not feeling any of those colors.

Tmelon
Sep 10, 2013, 01:01 PM
I'll be interested to see how scratch-resistant the backs are. That's clearly the reason they dropped the Slate in favor of "space grey."

FoxyKaye
Sep 10, 2013, 01:03 PM
If it comes to T-Mobile's new LTE Advanced network, I'm in line the second it's available.

I rather like the gold and space gray. The black... not so much.

Huh... No 128GB model, though. I wonder if this means NFC is also out, though I'd likely not use it.

Caseynd
Sep 10, 2013, 01:06 PM
I think sticking to the 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB storage was a miss, especially when flash storage keeps coming down in price....

metzy25
Sep 10, 2013, 01:07 PM
Um no pre ordering the 5S?

BJMRamage
Sep 10, 2013, 01:09 PM
wish they made the jump to 128GB phone

i guess since other phones come out with such crappy numbers they didn't feel need to raise it up

:(

AppleMark
Sep 10, 2013, 01:12 PM
Interesting to hear the claim that Fingerprint data will not be uploaded to iCloud or accessed by other App's.

I wonder if this decision was made pre or post 'Snowdon'? In any case it is good new's if it is true, as this would have been a deal breaker for me.

numlock
Sep 10, 2013, 01:13 PM
I think sticking to the 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB storage was a miss, especially when flash storage keeps coming down in price....

i think you should just be glad they arent still charging for a 4GB.

the innovators at apple havent got a clue

MacFather
Sep 10, 2013, 01:14 PM
Tiny update

http://d35lb3dl296zwu.cloudfront.net/uploads/photo/image/13979/LB_8482.jpg

arif1490
Sep 10, 2013, 01:14 PM
check out the apple store guys .............

alksion
Sep 10, 2013, 01:15 PM

Then what would they have to market with the iPhone 6? Maybe a redesign, but new storage flavors will definitely help the marketing side of things.

BornAgainApple
Sep 10, 2013, 01:16 PM
I understand Apple wants customers to use iCloud, but I prefer to keep my files on the phone. They really should have dropped the 16GB option and gone with 32/64/128. Thanks Phil, but I'll "soldier on" with my iPhone 5. :rolleyes:

macduke
Sep 10, 2013, 01:17 PM
Being an iPhone user since standing in line on June 29th 2007, and having owned every single iPhone since then, and being the biggest Apple fan out of everyone I know—I'm going to pass on this one. The fingerprint thing is cool, and 64-bit is nice and all, but I've never used my iPhone 5 and thought that it was slow. It will be interesting to see what developers do with the M7 processor. This is a solid upgrade for those who haven't upgraded in a while, but I don't see many iPhone 5 users upgrading this time around.

Here's to hoping for a liquid-metal iPhone 6 with a 4.5–4.7" (wider not taller) display, further improved camera, NFC wallet for mobile payments, and 802.11ac, and 32/64/128GB at current price points. I'm not saying that the 5S should have had all of these features, but I'm hopeful that the iPhone 6 will have many of these features.

Zimmy68
Sep 10, 2013, 01:17 PM
check out the apple store guys .............

I did, what about it?

kaielement
Sep 10, 2013, 01:18 PM
So they get rid if the iPhone 5 make a 5c and 5s and make the 4s free wow. Keeping the 4s and cut the 5 I don't get it. Correct me if I am wrong.

alksion
Sep 10, 2013, 01:19 PM
Being an iPhone user since standing in line on June 29th 2007, and having owned every single iPhone since then, and being the biggest Apple fan out of everyone I know—I'm going to pass on this one.

Nothing wrong with that. I love my iPhone 5 and I'm sure the 5S will be a great buy, but it doesn't have nearly enough features to want me to upgrade.

olowott
Sep 10, 2013, 01:20 PM
Damn, cant order online :mad::mad:

extricated
Sep 10, 2013, 01:22 PM
64-bit. A7. M7.
Flash color balance (I may enable my flash again).
Fingerprint sensor.

They have some amazing stuff going here.

mrxak
Sep 10, 2013, 01:26 PM
Somebody really needs to ask Tim Cook what is up with the 5S having no apparent preorder date. If they expect me to go into a store on the 20th, they cannot expect my business this quarter.

Battlefield Fan
Sep 10, 2013, 01:27 PM
The iPhone 5S has barely enough to get excited about but what hurt it was the 16, 32, 64 selection... That would have made buying a new phone more acceptable...

Dookieman
Sep 10, 2013, 01:28 PM
Somebody really needs to ask Tim Cook what is up with the 5S having no apparent preorder date. If they expect me to go into a store on the 20th, they cannot expect my business this quarter.

September 20th.

hakr100
Sep 10, 2013, 01:29 PM
Old I may be, but I can still remember the four digits I need to unlock my iPhone 5...

The new camera doesn't intrigue me. I've taken about 40 iPhone photos since getting my iPhone 5 about a year and a half ago...

I don't think the faster processor is going to do much for improving the quality of my phone calls or the downloading of my emails...

I was so hoping, really, for improvements to the screen so you can see it outdoors in strong light.

Well, maybe the iPhone 11 will have that. :(

Iconoclysm
Sep 10, 2013, 01:29 PM
So they get rid if the iPhone 5 make a 5c and 5s and make the 4s free wow. Keeping the 4s and cut the 5 I don't get it. Correct me if I am wrong.

It makes perfect sense, now they don't have to keep making iPhone 5's alongside the 5S

DoctorWho
Sep 10, 2013, 01:30 PM
Seems like the outright price in Australia has gone up $130! I didn't think the AUD was going that badly... Seems very excessive. 64GB is now $1129, up from $999.

bostonsox
Sep 10, 2013, 01:32 PM

They didn't cut iPhone 5. 5C is more or less a colored iPhone 5.

LorenzMeir
Sep 10, 2013, 01:33 PM
Obvious, noobish question, should I upgrade from my iPhone 5 to 5S? I am going to upgrade to this model; or wait for the iPhone 6, but I've been told the iPhone 5 will lose a lot of worth. I can sell my phone for 650 euros and bought it for 800.
What you guys think?

Thanks

portishead
Sep 10, 2013, 01:34 PM
They better have a Preorder available for the 5c. I'm not going to go into a store that day, it's madness.

HangmanSwingset
I for one am tempted to upgrade. Just going to wait and see what the wallet damage will look like after the T-Mobile discount I get...

milo
Old I may be, but I can still remember the four digits I need to unlock my iPhone 5...

That's not really the issue. Four digits is minimal security and hopefully fingerprint will be quicker and more convenient than having to do the passcode every time.

And if you have a camera as good as the one in the iPhone 5 and never use it, that's your problem, not Apple's.

Amazing Iceman
Sep 10, 2013, 01:35 PM
Will TouchID also be implemented in the next iPad?

Diode
Sep 10, 2013, 01:35 PM
So those gray/white gray/black shell combos that were popping up before the 5's launch were probably just early, early 5S protoypes. Cool.

portishead
Sep 10, 2013, 01:39 PM

Fingerprint unlock would be quicker and better

The new camera doesn't intrigue me. I've taken about 40 iPhone photos since getting my iPhone 5 about a year and a half ago...

The iPhone 5 camera is decent. 5s sounds even better. I don't want to lug around a DSLR all the time.

I don't think the faster processor is going to do much for improving the quality of my phone calls or the downloading of my emails...

But it will improve everything else.

I was so hoping, really, for improvements to the screen so you can see it outdoors in strong light.

You sound confused. Maybe you are getting old. :p

croooow
Sep 10, 2013, 01:41 PM

You can remember the 4 digit code and so can someone looking over your shoulder (people can remember 5-7 only seeing it once. You should have a much longer alpha-numeric password if you want to actually secure your phone)

It sounds like you don't even use the iPhone 5 to its potential. Those upgrades are for those people who do take a lot of pictures and people who use their iPhones for more than just email and phone calls. You might as well just have gotten (or kept) an iPhone 3G...

MacFather
September 25, 2012

Q: I love my Black & Slate iPhone 5, but I've been seeing some scuffs, scratches and marks throughout the band around the phone along with many others. What should we all do? Any plans to fix this?

Schiller: Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color. That is normal.

September 10, 2013

Apple killed Black & Slate color option.

QCassidy352
Being an iPhone user since standing in line on June 29th 2007, and having owned every single iPhone since then, and being the biggest Apple fan out of everyone I know—I'm going to pass on this one. The fingerprint thing is cool, and 64-bit is nice and all, but I've never used my iPhone 5 and thought that it was slow. It will be interesting to see what developers do with the M7 processor. This is a solid upgrade for those who haven't upgraded in a while, but I don't see many iPhone 5 users upgrading this time around.

Me too. Except I also skipped the 3G. This is very underwhelming.

doelcm82
Sep 10, 2013, 01:42 PM
New color? Big deal...

I know. Compared with the new processor, the improved camera, and the fingerprint sensor, the new color doesn't seem like much.

dazlicous
Sep 10, 2013, 01:42 PM

out of interest can i ask how have you had your iPhone 5 for a year and a half

FoxyKaye
Sep 10, 2013, 01:43 PM
If it comes to T-Mobile's new LTE Advanced network, I'm in line the second it's available.
Which, by the way, I have no idea of understanding based on the Technical Specifications Apple lists for the phone.

T-Mobile has 4G, LTE, LTE-Advanced all running on different bands - can anyone who actually knows something about this post? I'd love to know with greater certainty than I can ascertain.

Because you know the sales folks at the store aren't going to be much help... "Yeah, it's got the LTE, it says so right here on the screen!"

croooow
Sep 10, 2013, 01:44 PM
September 25, 2012

Q: I love my Black & Slate iPhone 5, but I've been seeing some scuffs, scratches and marks throughout the band around the phone along with many others. What should we all do? Any plans to fix this?

Schiller: Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color. That is normal.

September 10, 2013

Apple killed Black & Slate color option.

yeah, they got tired of the complaints ("I dropped my phone and it got scuffed") so they got rid of the "painted" iPhone. (Yes, anodizing is not the same as painting, but it is still just a thin coating on the metal)

gmanist1000
Sep 10, 2013, 01:45 PM
The biggest letdown for me is no 802.11ac Wi-Fi..... their brand new iPhone can't support their new router to it's full potential?!

ValSalva
Sep 10, 2013, 01:45 PM

Apple wants to have lines at stores again.

freedevil
Sep 10, 2013, 01:46 PM

If the 5 is free no one will buy the 5c. I get what you mean though.

duneriderltr450
Sep 10, 2013, 01:46 PM
Haters gonna hate. :)

macchiato2009
Sep 10, 2013, 01:47 PM
is Touch IS PRISM-ready ?

:D :D :D

doelcm82
Obvious, noobish question, should I upgrade from my iPhone 5 to 5S? I am going to upgrade to this model; or wait for the iPhone 6, but I've been told the iPhone 5 will lose a lot of worth. I can sell my phone for 650 euros and bought it for 800.
What you guys think?

Thanks

I am keeping my iPhone 5 for another year, so that I don't have to pay to break my contract.

I will look with envy at the iPhone 5S owners, but I will wait. I skipped the 3GS and the 4S also.

I'll probably give my iPad 3 to my mother once the next iPad is announced.

Brian Y

Here's to hoping for a liquid-metal iPhone 6 with a 4.5–4.7" (wider not taller) display, further improved camera, NFC wallet for mobile payments, and 802.11ac, and 32/64/128GB at current price points. I'm not saying that the 5S should have had all of these features, but I'm hopeful that the iPhone 6 will have many of these features.

iPhone -> 3G -> 3GS -> 4 were all decent upgrades.

Since the 4, you only really need to upgrade every other year. If you had the 4, go 4 -> 5 -> 6. If you had the 4S go 4S -> 5S -> 6S (I presume).

/dev/toaster
Really pissed that there is no pre-orders for the iPhone 5s. Where did you confirm that there are no pre-orders ? Maybe they will announce them later today or tomorrow ?

Satnam1989

the 5C supports long range of LTE bands, as you can see on apple's site, iPhone 5 was specific...now you can use 5C/5S from Verizon on AT&T, T-Mobile and many global carriers that offer LTE!

Ralf The Dog
The stock market is giving Apple the finger.

Shearwater
Sep 10, 2013, 01:48 PM
I am disappointed that all the leaks appeared to be true! I wanted to be surprised...and no news of a bigger screen.
The 'phone in the palm of your hand' message is still strong

The phone you never wanted...for me anyway..:p

macchiato2009
AAPL -3% :p

TMay

NFC is near death in the U.S.

Another year and devices like the one the PayPal Beacon just announced that are Blue Tooth LE are going to wipe up the nascent market for NFC.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/paypal-beacon-hands-free-payments/

I think that Apple would rather use BT or WiFi sans NFC for purchases.

logicpro7
Sep 10, 2013, 01:49 PM
Im going to get another iPhone 5... :eek:

Wayfarer
Sep 10, 2013, 01:50 PM
Remember when Apple was all about computers? Am I the only one thirsty for Mac news from MACrumors?

Oh wait, wrong thread. :p

Anyway, I think I'll wait for the iPhone 6. Nothing truly surprising here.

scbn
Sep 10, 2013, 01:51 PM
The 5S is a very impressive phone. The only thing that I don't like is the same 4" screen size. Why they won't go with a bigger phone is beyond me.

Xgm541
Sep 10, 2013, 01:51 PM
every year I've been excited to read the news on the new iphone. I've owned one since the iphone 4. I recently switched to another phone and it's been a blessing. The 16GB iphone provides so little space compared to my 16GB+64GB SSD card. Also my stock battery lasts about twice as long, with the ability to add an extended battery that lasts 5 times as long as the iphone 5 did.

Putting all of that into consideration, plus the fact that the new iphone brings literally NOTHING that was unexpected and has zero wow factor for me, I can say, I'm unimpressed.

macness
Sep 10, 2013, 01:52 PM
Day one buy for me, just for the A7 and better battery life, and the Space Gray color. :)

how much better is the battery life from the iphone 5?

g0odfr1end102
out of interest can i ask how have you had your iPhone 5 for a year and a half

He probably found it in a bar... 2 years ago.

Battlefield Fan
64-bit. A7. M7.
Flash color balance (I may enable my flash again).
Fingerprint sensor.

They have some amazing stuff going here.

I hope you're joking!

tommyminahan
Really pissed that there is no pre-orders for the iPhone 5s. Where did you confirm that there are no pre-orders ? Maybe they will announce them later today or tomorrow ?

store.apple.com
its confirmed on the 5S order page.

/dev/toaster
The stock market is giving Apple the finger.

This happens every single iPhone announcement. Only the original iPhone had the price go up.

PinkyMacGodess
No unlocked GSM yet? The unlocked T-Mobile claims to work with AT&T, but that can't be for GSM, can it?

How big of a deal is the '64-bit' feature? Is it a Droid killer?

macchiato2009
when i ask SIRI, she tells me that the stock will be down by 5% tonight :p

dvoros
Sep 10, 2013, 01:53 PM
Apple has really lost its edge. Nothing to show or demo on stage. Nothing to release TODAY. All vaporware. Worst presentation in the history of the company. They really do miss Steve and his leadership to kick butt. One has to wonder what the hell they have been up to for the last year. How embarrassing and sad.:o:(

Dekema2
Sep 10, 2013, 01:53 PM
I kinda miss the square home button already…this is too circular for me

JHankwitz
Sep 10, 2013, 01:54 PM
New color? Big deal...

Too bad you missed the rest of the presentation. The presented more tha a new color.

/dev/toaster

Fairly sure they aren't worried, someone will be happy to take your place.

tommyminahan
The biggest letdown for me is no 802.11ac Wi-Fi..... their brand new iPhone can't support their new router to it's full potential?!

I'm betting it has something to do with power and battery life.

it probably ate away at the battery a lot quicker with AC, so they scrapped it until they have that figured out.

JHankwitz

Chances are you'll put it into a case anyway.

white4s
Sep 10, 2013, 01:55 PM
Um no pre ordering the 5S?

Friday the 13th

ellsworth
I'm hoping the next iPad mini has the same security feature... It would DEFINITELY be worth the wait.

rwilliams
I think I'm sticking with my iPhone 5. The improvements are nice, but not anything that is exciting enough for me to part with my money.

I think we have to accept that smartphone advancements have plateaued for the time being. There are definitely improvements, but none of the "holy ----" variety. There seems to be only so much that these manufacturers can do right now, compared to the time period between the launch of the original iPhone and the iPhone 4.

darkslide29

I am too, I love my slate iPhone 5. I would have to guess that the color really does rub off/scratch a little easier than they'd hoped, so they just did away with it. That's too bad.

Macinva
Sep 10, 2013, 01:56 PM
As much as I wanted to get a 5S when it comes out, going from the 64gb 5 to the 64gb 5s just doesn't seem worth the $650 price point.

Unless I change my mind, this will be the first iPhone generation I'm skipping. Oh well, when the 6 comes out, I'll be able to get it at the fully subsidized price.

Nice phone, just not nice enough to spend that much to get the latest/greatest from Apple.

bretm
The iPhone 5S has barely enough to get excited about but what hurt it was the 16, 32, 64 selection... That would have made buying a new phone more acceptable...

What you need so much storage for? Music- cloud. Photos- photo streamed to Mac. 16 gig is fine for me.

Battlefield Fan
Tiny update

Image (http://d35lb3dl296zwu.cloudfront.net/uploads/photo/image/13979/LB_8482.jpg)

LOL this puts it into perspective!

/dev/toaster
store.apple.com
its confirmed on the 5S order page.

Damn ... welp, off to file a PTO request now ... guess I gotta sit in line.

flounder021
I did, what about it?

The gorgeous redesign of the iPhone page..

JHankwitz

It's not possible to gage black from a photograph. You need to see it in person to compare it to anything.

DShap5
:apple: I want one. :apple:

white4s
Sep 10, 2013, 01:58 PM

Friday the 13th. you 2 clearly missed that part lol

http://bgr.com/2013/09/10/iphone-5s-release-date-specs-announced/

Will the upcoming iPads get Touch ID too, do you think? Or you think they're gonna wait a year until the technology is adopted and tested en masse by iPhone users?

flounder021
Remember when Apple was all about computers? Am I the only one thirsty for Mac news from MACrumors?

Oh wait, wrong thread. :p

Anyway, I think I'll wait for the iPhone 6. Nothing truly surprising here.

Agreed. 100%.

amirite
Apple has really lost its edge. Nothing to show or demo on stage. Nothing to release TODAY. All vaporware. Worst presentation in the history of the company. They really do miss Steve and his leadership to kick butt. One has to wonder what the hell they have been up to for the last year. How embarrassing and sad.:o:(
How is it at all vaporware?

bretm
As much as I wanted to get a 5S when it comes out, going from the 64gb 5 to the 64gb 5s just doesn't seem worth the $650 price point.

Unless I change my mind, this will be the first iPhone generation I'm skipping. Oh well, when the 6 comes out, I'll be able to get it at the fully subsidized price.

Nice phone, just not nice enough to spend that much to get the latest/greatest from Apple.

You've never skipped a generation? Time to get some self control! Quite an expensive hobby there. I'll be trading in my iPhone 4 for $180. I paid $199 2.5 years ago. Still runs like the day I got it.

shanson27
Like it so far:D happy

Youtube official - iPhone 5S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13DvbXoSbk

Zerilos
Sep 10, 2013, 01:59 PM
is Touch IS PRISM-ready ?

:D :D :D

I assume you didn't watch or read anyting anything about Touch IS. The print is encrypted on the A7 chip and not transmitted. Regardless, they wouldn't be able to do anything with your fingerprint anyway.

windgineer
Not including the ac standard is missing the mark for Apple. They are better than that and they already support it with other products. Shoulda coulda woulda.

Mascots
I kinda miss the square home button already…this is too circular for me

It certainly was an iconic part of iPhone since it's been there from the start. I will miss it, but see the need to remove it for the scanner. I will miss it and its subtle similar shape to the home icons.

Among things I'll miss is the "black" or slate color. While I'm sure it's beautiful, I don't fancy the grey.

neuropsychguy

Apple stock usually falls after an announcement; we should only be surprised when it rises after a keynote.

BFG86
I wonder how many models there will be with the new lte bands and such. I guess they cant do a universal one.

darkslide29

'Tis the "buy on rumor, sell on news" in stock trading in general.
I remember the iPhone 4S dropping 5% mid-keynote, before reaching an all-time high later that year.

I am not saying it will repeat, I am just saying don't read too much into this. Without a "One more thing..." moment, all that was presented was what was rumored for months and months. So it naturally dropped some of the hype price that had built up. No big deal, just another wave in stock price to ride.

definitive
well that was a big flop. until they increase their phone's screen size by at least .7", and start selling their flagship model with 32gigs of storage for $200, this phone is gonna keep failing and failing.

bacaramac
Sep 10, 2013, 02:00 PM
No NFC to go along with Touch ID. I'll wait till next year since I'm not eligible right now anyways.

And no 128 GB because....?

baryon

Yes it's silly that there's no black iPhone at all now. The 5C doesn't come in black and the 5S doesn't either… Why?

I'm guessing that the black iPhone 5 was too prone to scuffing because of the dark color. But then okay Apple, don't make a black 5S, but then at least make a black 5C!

scottish
UK 5S pricing: 5S: 16GB £549 32GB £629 64GB £709

Price increase? I'm sure the 5 was between £529 and £699.

moxin
Touch ID is a solid solid feature

musika
Oh my gosh, it is actually called "Space Gray".

flounder021
You can remember the 4 digit code and so can someone looking over your shoulder (people can remember 5-7 only seeing it once. You should have a much longer alpha-numeric password if you want to actually secure your phone)

It sounds like you don't even use the iPhone 5 to its potential. Those upgrades are for those people who do take a lot of pictures and people who use their iPhones for more than just email and phone calls. You might as well just have gotten (or kept) an iPhone 3G...

Magical Number 7 rule.. someone paid attention in Psychology :)

moethebartender
Sep 10, 2013, 02:01 PM
There will be less of a chance someone will snatch your phone out of your hand on a whim, so overall this is probably a security improvement.

tommyminahan
Friday the 13th
Not for the 5S, only the 5C..

Damn, cant order online :mad::mad:

It does make sense though. Apple wants to bring back that "waiting in line" magic of the 3G/4 launches..

milo
Looks like a pretty great phone, just not cheap. My only real complaint is the 16/32/64 instead of bumping up to 128. And $100 increments just for 16 or 32 gigs of extra space is ridiculous, I can't believe they're still doing that.

/dev/toaster

Only the iPhone 5c is pre-order on the 13th. The iPhone 5s will be available for order on the 20th in store and online. Sadly, apple.com confirms this :(

centauratlas
Was in a meeting, so everyone beat me to it, but have to say:
1. Why no 128GB? Come on.
2. No pre-order 5S? Really?
3. No iPad update yet?
4. The BIG QUESTION is what does Apple do with your fingerprint? Is it saved on the phone? Does it get sent elsewhere? (And then of course, what back doors will allow government agencies to get it????)

(And, no Mac Mini upgrade, no retina 17 inch MBP. lol)

KylePowers
well that was a big flop. until they increase their phone's screen size by at least .7", and start selling their flagship model with 32gigs of storage for $200, this phone is gonna keep failing and failing.
Keep failing and failing? Oh for sure, Apple is just inching closer to bankruptcy by the day :rolleyes:

fabianjj
Strange, I don't know if Apple has done this before but:

In Sweden, probably from not being one of the launch countries, Apple doesn't offer the 5S or 5C in their online store. Not even greyed out preview pages (the 'non-store' iPhone pages has information about the new phones though), meaning the only phone they actually sell now is the 4S unlocked.

Chastepe
Sep 10, 2013, 02:02 PM
Price of iPhone C is an epic fail! £469 ARE YOU SERIOUS? with 80 pounds more you buy iPhone S. Unbelievable! What s the point? Do you believe that this is supposed to be affordable?

MacVault

Yea! No 802.11ac? What is Apple thinking?!!! :mad:

tommyminahan

May I quote this when the 5S becomes the fastest selling iPhone to date?

JHankwitz

The price has little to do with how much the component parts cost. What it does is enable charging more to people that can afford to pay more. Kind of like our government providing the same services to rich and poor, but having the rich pay far more taxes for the same stuff.

rtdunham
Sep 10, 2013, 02:03 PM
...Nothing to release TODAY. All vaporware. Worst presentation in the history of the company. They really do miss Steve and his leadership to kick butt...

I saw Steve announce the first iPhone at MacWorld San Francisco on Jan 9 2007; the phone wasn't released in the US until June 29 2007. Can you reconcile these facts with your opinion?

Macinva
Sep 10, 2013, 02:03 PM
You've never skipped a generation? Time to get some self control! Quite an expensive hobby there. I'll be trading in my iPhone 4 for $180. I paid $199 2.5 years ago. Still runs like the day I got it.

I agree, it is pretty nuts but the way I look at it, my phone is the one thing I typically carry with me more than anything so it's worth it to me. My life isn't my phone, but I always have it for business/personal use and it's great entertainment when needed.

I've come to the conclusion that THIS particular update is worth skipping for me as my 5 is more than serviceable.

I'd be shocked if the iPhone 6 didn't have the features I'm looking for in an upgrade from the 5.

kcmac
Sep 10, 2013, 02:04 PM
The form factor of the 4S is different and gives them a variable. Some like me still prefer the size of the 4S over the 5. Although I will be ordering the 5S as soon as available. :D

bretm

Nope. No preorder date. Pretty clear on website. Available for ORDER on 20th or you can pickup in store on 20th. They clearly are behind the 5c on manufacturing. They'll have a VERY limited supply on the 20th and boast that they're completely sold out. And since they have no promised delivery date on orders made on 20th they can choose what they're gonna do with those orders on the 20th. Perhaps make stores a priority if they haven't produced enough. They clearly DON'T know if production is ramping up as planned.

christophermdia
I agree with everyone else...I got fed up with my iphone 5 because of lack of features such as NFC and wireless charging not to mention reduced compatibility with my cars Bluetooth features and I went android....I was hoping the 5S would be much more than it is...but as it turns out this announcement was a flop.

My wife wants one though, so I'll get to play around with it still...interesting...the unlocked/tmobile version actually supports Verizon LTE bands....

tommyminahan
I wonder how many models there will be with the new lte bands and such. I guess they cant do a universal one.

go check out the specs of the 5S on apple.com, it appears to be one universal phone, for all the major carriers.

nasovoto
Sep 10, 2013, 02:05 PM

You got it wrong mate...5C preorder is the 13/09/13 no preorder for 5S

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 10, 2013, 02:06 PM
This happens every single iPhone announcement. Only the original iPhone had the price go up.

Don't forget the market isn't about 'the rest of us'. Apple didn't double their prices. They didn't come out with a solid gold limited edition Ferrari embossed version. Apple didn't announce a 10 for 3 buyback for the stock. They didn't announce Steve's death was a hoax. Perhaps because they didn't announce the retirement of Tim Cook.

The market, back when I was a kid, reacted to massive layoffs with a tremendous stock price dive. Now, the stock price might actually double. It's a contrarian world on Wall Street, where up is down, bad is good, crappy management is applauded, and screwing people and dumping on your workers gets you accolades...

Hmm
Sep 10, 2013, 02:07 PM

The apple store indicates that the 9/13 pre-order date is for the 5C, not the 5S.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s

The 5S has an "order" date of 9/20. I'm not sure what the big deal is though. I guess people are upset that they won't have a 5S on release day unless they stand in line, but it's not like they can't order online if they're willing to wait a few extra days.

chasemac
delete

pk7
It's interesting they don't capitalize the "S" and the "C" anymore in the new iPhones.

Nevertheless, a great time to upgrade from a 4S. I will be getting one.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 10, 2013, 02:08 PM
go check out the specs of the 5S on apple.com, it appears to be one universal phone, for all the major carriers.

Wrong, sort of! There are going to be, apparently, 4 different models!

Model A1533*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
Model A1453*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26)
Model A1457*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)
Model A1530*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20); TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40)

Ahh, but the first two come the closest to being a 'one size fits all'...

kenetic
5C looks nice.

bart4u
I have no interest in what was updated. I love my Iphone but I need a bigger screen. I could careless about colors or fingerprint. I will not be getting the Iphone 5S, I wish the phone had 128 MB of storage so I could some how shoot my Canon camera into my Iphone. Another reason for a bigger screen so I could possibly use the Iphone as a second monitor while shooting video with the GoPro. Hopefully the Iphone 6 will have what I need.

Chupa Chupa
Was in a meeting, so everyone beat me to it, but have to say:
1. Why no 128GB? Come on.
2. No pre-order 5S? Really?
3. No iPad update yet?

(And, no Mac Mini upgrade, no retina 17 inch MBP. lol)

Jim Dalrymple, Apple's chief rumor passthrough, already confirmed that the iPads would not be announced this event.

Still baffled by no iPhone 5S pre-orders. It's been a while since Apple hasn't allowed pre-orders for the iPhone. But last year was such a flustercuck maybe they didn't want to repeat. Major inconvenience though. Glad I'm not in the "S" upgrade rotation.

/dev/toaster
Sep 10, 2013, 02:09 PM
Don't forget the market isn't about 'the rest of us'. Apple didn't double their prices. They didn't come out with a solid gold limited edition Ferrari embossed version. Apple didn't announce a 10 for 3 buyback for the stock. They didn't announce Steve's death was a hoax. Perhaps because they didn't announce the retirement of Tim Cook.

The market, back when I was a kid, reacted to massive layoffs with a tremendous stock price dive. Now, the stock price might actually double. It's a contrarian world on Wall Street, where up is down, bad is good, crappy management is applauded, and screwing people and dumping on your workers gets you accolades...

Yep, pretty much.

Mobster1983
I am looking forward to the fingerprint sensor, but disappointed no 128Gb. I am switching carriers from Verizon to T-Mobile, otherwise I might hold off on upgrading my iPhone 5.

rwilliams
No preorder for the 5s? Y'all have fun in those lines next Friday. I'm never doing that again.

praetorian909
I'm just wondering why they didn't name it the iPhone 5 Pro ;)

JHankwitz
Sep 10, 2013, 02:11 PM
... Thanks Phil, but I'll "soldier on" with my iPhone 5. :rolleyes:

Well, of course, since you're 5 is still on contract for another year.

rwilliams
And finally, the Apple docks are back!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MF030ZM/A/iphone-5s-dock?fnode=45
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MF031ZM/A/iphone-5c-dock?fnode=45

Number 41

Who has information that sensitive on their phone?

Every app that can "do damage" (banking, iTunes, credit card, etc.) requires it's own independent password anyway.

I can't fathom the need for this much security on a phone. What are people keeping on there? Blueprints for stealth drones?

sransari
Sep 10, 2013, 02:12 PM

totally agree...and probably the 2nd most important thing to the everyday consumer other than battery life.

My upgrade is due, so I am going to get the 5S, but sell it NIB and keep my 5. Was only planning on going 5S if there was a 128 GB option.

Other than being able to play Infinity 3 with smoother graphics, is there really any reason to upgrade here? The finger print sensor is nifty, but pretty useless if you don't lock your phone (which I don't...would just wipe it remotely if lost/stolen).

BornAgainMac
Sep 10, 2013, 02:12 PM
The Jony Ive videos are becoming a copy and paste now. I am starting to just scrub past his narrative to get more information later in the video. Sorry, Jony.

Minhthien
Sep 10, 2013, 02:13 PM
No black iphone? :(

sinfonye
That's not really the issue. Four digits is minimal security and hopefully fingerprint will be quicker and more convenient than having to do the passcode every time.

Yes, I don't bother with a passcode (too slow and requires me to look at the
phone). Fingerprint recognition is much better if it's near instantaneous.

wlossw
Im undecided wether i'll update. I definitely wont be buying on launch date. Let's see how real world performance stacks up to iPhone 5.

Manzzle
Thanks Apple, my choice is now clear. Your Android-ish look to iOS 7 and the same screen size made it easier for me to now pre-order the Galaxy Note 3.

There was no "wow" factor at all. A new chip "A7", minor tweak to the camera, and the useless to me fingerprint scanner. Ain't it bad enough your phone can be tracked? For some reason I'm being reminded of the movie Eagle Eye with Shia Labeouf.

Maybe next year Apple, this year I'm buying my first Android.

tommyminahan
Sep 10, 2013, 02:14 PM

But will they work with the phone in an apple case?!

JHankwitz

Of what benefit is "liquid-metal"? The name is cool, but that's not a good reason to use it.

Satnam1989
Wrong, sort of! There are going to be, apparently, 4 different models!

Model A1533*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
Model A1453*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26)
Model A1457*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)
Model A1530*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20); TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40)

Ahh, but the first two come the closest to being a 'one size fits all'...

iPhone 5S = 5 models [4 base models] however consumer buying the Verizon model will no longer have to stress about not having it work on AT&T or T-Mobile as it supports Full LTE and 4G on all GSM networks in north america:

AT&T/ T-Mobile / Norther America GSM UNLOCKED Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Verizon [ GSM A1533 with CDMA Enabled] A1533 (CDMA)*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Sprint Model A1453*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26)

International/International Unlocked Model A1457*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)

China Model A1530*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20); TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40)

M5RahuL
Apple announces..... BLAH! :rolleyes:

Gooberton
Friday the 13th

do you people even read the blogs, NO PREORDER FOR THE 5S

Szarky
Sep 10, 2013, 02:15 PM
No preorder for the 5s? Y'all have fun in those lines next Friday. I'm never doing that again.

Haha. Same. Once and never again.

Hitch08
Sep 10, 2013, 02:15 PM

Wonder if that will work with the 5?

scottish
Sep 10, 2013, 02:16 PM
I have no interest in what was updated. I love my Iphone but I need a bigger screen. I could careless about colors or fingerprint. I will not be getting the Iphone 5S, I wish the phone had 128 MB of storage so I could some how shoot my Canon camera into my Iphone. Another reason for a bigger screen so I could possibly use the Iphone as a second monitor while shooting video with the GoPro. Hopefully the Iphone 6 will have what I need.

Slight contradiction here.

Mums
Is there really no risk that people are going to start getting their fingers chopped off to gain access to these new phones? Does the sensor require a pulse?:confused:

JHankwitz
'Tis the "buy on rumor, sell on news" in stock trading in general.
I remember the iPhone 4S dropping 5% mid-keynote, before reaching an all-time high later that year.

I am not saying it will repeat, I am just saying don't read too much into this. Without a "One more thing..." moment, all that was presented was what was rumored for months and months. So it naturally dropped some of the hype price that had built up. No big deal, just another wave in stock price to ride.

The main problem with sites such as MacRumors is that so much hype and excitement is created before the announcements that there’s nothing left to be excited about when it’s all presented. Today’s event clearly showed that Apple continues to lead the way in making products that address our needs and wants. Good job Apple!

Zeov
Sep 10, 2013, 02:17 PM
i dont see why anyone would want to upgrade from iPhone 5 to iPhone 5S.

Manzzle

I think they did this cause there not looking for there to be a huge amount of people buying the iPhone 5S.

nooaah
Touch ID will be huge for Enterprise. My company (pharma, I'm in their R&D so all of my emails are obviously very sensitive) will not allow Outlook access on our phones. Period. They only started using that piece of garbage known as Good for Enterprise last year. They cite weak passlock security on phones as the reason for blocking Outlook server access. I think this will allow us direct mail app access in the future.

I honestly would skip the 5s if it weren't for my contract with VZW being up.

Trik
Sep 10, 2013, 02:18 PM

What are you doing on your phone that you need it to connect at that speed. I'm sure the bottleneck is your internet connection. Even if you're moving things around the network to your phone, which maybe you do, you're never going to get the theoretical 2.5 Gbps that you'd see on an AC device anyway.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have, I'm just saying the data use doesn't support them investing in an AC chip on the iPhone IMO.

AlphaDeuce
Not one surprise ... Except for cases. Kind of a yawner.

But I plan to buy the gold one.

ericinboston
My take:

-If you don't have an iPhone, sure, 5s is a nice smartphone

-If you have a 4s or 5 already, this is a really weak update. It's mostly software/iOS related. Colors are now considered an update at Apple?! Camera improvements are a REQUIREMENT every year so Apple's new camera specs here don't even count. Fingerprint button...so many reasons why nobody cares about it...it will be interesting to see the can of worms this new security measure opens. 64bit CPU really means nothing for this kind of device or its apps or its user-base. Super-dee-duper faster wireless specs mean nothing considering 99% of internet connections are less than 40Mbit/sec...how can a 500Mbit+ wireless card in an iPhone help at all?

What would have made me happier (outside of iOS software improvements)?...

-much better camera improvement
-larger storage options as well as replaceing the 16GB option with 32GB
-USB 3.0 connectivity so I don't spend forever (on USB 2.0) transferring tons of content
-jaw-dropping Siri functionality/improvements thanks to newer CPU/iOS
-direct device-to-device Airplay support so I don't have to go through my router/network.

I have the 4s 64GB and really wanted a reason to get the 5s. No way.

BornAgainMac
Yea! No 802.11ac? What is Apple thinking?!!! :mad:

Maybe 802.11ac uses too much power or the chip set is too big to exist in the small 4 inch iPhone. That is my theory anyways.

topdrawer
Sep 10, 2013, 02:19 PM
i can see the news now

"iphone snatchers are also cutting thumbs"

jacob-07
Sep 10, 2013, 02:20 PM
I'm ready to retire my iphone 4

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 10, 2013, 02:21 PM
But will they work with the phone in an apple case?!

That's an absurd question, but given their past, appropriate...

mrhick01

The 5 gets in the way of sales of the 5C. Although it's the 30-pin
connector instead of lightning, the 4S makes sense as a good-enough "free" subsidized phone.

alexandr
Non-contract, unlocked devices will be available at launch for $649/$749/$849.

does this mean an actual factory unlocked version will be available at launch? or is this going to be the same as last year - full price off contract at&t phones?..

chrmjenkins
Maybe 802.11ac uses too much power or the chip set is too big to exist in the small 4 inch iPhone. That is my theory anyways.

ac saves on power and the chip that offers is near identical to its predecessor. They likely didn't feel the need to update yet. Next year.

Giganova
I will pass. Compared to my existing 4S, the 5S seems a marginal improvement. Yes, the fingerprint sensor and better processor are cool, but how does that improve my daily use of the phone and my living quality?

Also, I'm not feeling the colors at all. I would like to have a phone in either solid white or black. I don't like that the back of the phone has a totally different color.

iOS 7 will be a much more dramatic improvement than the phone and I look forward to it!

GQB
Sep 10, 2013, 02:22 PM
New color? Big deal...

Yeah, there was nothing else.
Back under the bridge... there you go.

bedifferent
Notably, there will be no preorders for the iPhone 5s.

Ouch.

Popinbottles
wish they made the jump to 128GB phone

i guess since other phones come out with such crappy numbers they didn't feel need to raise it up

:(

Probably saving that amazing feature for the IPhone 6

snowboarder
Sep 10, 2013, 02:23 PM
standing ovation LOL

GQB
Sep 10, 2013, 02:23 PM

There'll be plenty on eBay in moments. Go for it!

Chris Blount
Sep 10, 2013, 02:24 PM
I have the 4s 64GB and really wanted a reason to get the 5s. No way. The larger screen alone is a reason to do the upgrade. Is sounds like you are making excuses.

Jab00
Sep 10, 2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks Apple, my choice is now clear. Your Android-ish look to iOS 7 and the same screen size made it easier for me to now pre-order the Galaxy Note 3.

There was no "wow" factor at all. A new chip "A7", minor tweak to the camera, and the useless to me fingerprint scanner. Ain't it bad enough your phone can be tracked? For some reason I'm being reminded of the movie Eagle Eye with Shia Labeouf.

Maybe next year Apple, this year I'm buying my first Android.

Congrats?

milo
...the new iphone brings literally NOTHING that was unexpected...

Just for the sake of argument, pretending that statement was actually true…if the new phone has new features and improvements, how do those somehow not count if the info was leaked? Isn't what matters how good the phone is, as opposed to how good the phone is minus what we knew about it already? Are people buying a phone or buying a keynote speech about a phone?

Satnam1989
Is there really no risk that people are going to start getting their fingers chopped off to gain access to these new phones? Does the sensor require a pulse?:confused:

I bet no one on the planet thinking about security and iPhone in the same conversation thought about this! Its a good valid point tho...theiv's will be asking "which finger u use" lol....I'm sure within the next year we will hear at least at minimum 1 story of such incident....finger tip lost for $500 mobile device....this will be worst than those who sell organs to buy apple products...as more criminals will be inclined to such things....there's a huge market for these premium phones in middle east, africa and South America.

jlasoon
'Touch ID' Brought to you courtesy of the NSA. :rolleyes:

Giganova
My take:

-If you don't have an iPhone, sure, 5s is a nice smartphone

-If you have a 4s or 5 already, this is a really weak update. It's mostly software/iOS related. Colors are now considered an update at Apple?! Camera improvements are a REQUIREMENT every year so Apple's new camera specs here don't even count. Fingerprint button...so many reasons why nobody cares about it...it will be interesting to see the can of worms this new security measure opens. 64bit CPU really means nothing for this kind of device or its apps or its user-base. Super-dee-duper faster wireless specs mean nothing considering 99% of internet connections are less than 40Mbit/sec...how can a 500Mbit+ wireless card in an iPhone help at all?

What would have made me happier (outside of iOS software improvements)?...

-much better camera improvement
-larger storage options as well as replaceing the 16GB option with 32GB
-USB 3.0 connectivity so I don't spend forever (on USB 2.0) transferring tons of content
-jaw-dropping Siri functionality/improvements thanks to newer CPU/iOS
-direct device-to-device Airplay support so I don't have to go through my router/network.

I have the 4s 64GB and really wanted a reason to get the 5s. No way.
Perfect summary!

mrxak
I'm due for an upgrade and this is the iPhone I want to upgrade to but no preorders means I will not be buying one any time soon. So stupid.

And anyone saying this is a weak upgrade, did you miss the part about it being twice as fast as the last iPhone for CPU and graphics?

olowott
Sep 10, 2013, 02:26 PM
No pre-orders:mad::mad:

I feel so really betrayed , waited since the beginning of this year, now i got to wait till september 20 or later :(:(

BAD :apple:

ColdCase
Sep 10, 2013, 02:26 PM
The 5S is a very impressive phone. The only thing that I don't like is the same 4" screen size. Why they won't go with a bigger phone is beyond me.

Personally, I like a smaller phone. I hope Apple retains the nice small form factor for the most of us that prefer it, perhaps a larger "cheap" model for others.... the 5CS.. :)

smash1031
Sep 10, 2013, 02:27 PM

What he said.

pizz
Great, now the government can track everyone more easily now that your fingerprint can be recorded on your cellphone!

AppleFan1984
How big of a deal is the '64-bit' feature? Is it a Droid killer?
It's about as close to being a non-feature as one could get and still be a bullet point.

64-bit addressing allows a device to make use of RAM space greater than 4GB, but since this model has less than that (1GB, 2? I couldn't find the RAM spec on Apple's site), about the only benefit I can think of is compatibility with certain development tools, which may help end users by helping devs port some games from OS X.

I was more than a bit surprised that Apple made such a key talking point out of the 64-bit thing. Are they planning on providing >4GB soon? Now that could get interesting.

jamesryanbell
Underwhelmed, but I'll still probably end up getting a 16GB 5S.

Troneas
they copied the htc one "ultra pixel" technology !!!

Bladers
the world called bluff. apple showed their hands and yet again another non-event by apple. lasted roughly 60 minutes and then a 20 minutes long misdirection by Elvis to make you forget that nothing novel was showcased.

The-Pro
Sep 10, 2013, 02:28 PM
to all those saying apple should've dropped the 16GB and gone 32/64/128.

For us buyers that would've been great. Apple would have to charge the same amount for the 32 as it did for 16 otherwise the prices are too high. So we get more for the same price.
However it means apple would be selling iPhones for less profit, not much but enough.
The majority of the people don't even need 16GB and 32GB even less. Thats because there are still a lot who don't need huge apps, being games, or tons of videos, tvshows and thousands of songs with them.

Apple makes the most profit while satisfying a decent amount of people with what they get for their money. The rest spends more money and apple makes even more profit.

My guess is it will take at least another 2 generations for the 16GB to disappear.

sinfonye
Sep 10, 2013, 02:28 PM
What you guys think?

Thanks

Unless you must have the absolute latest, or the features are essential to you (camera mainly it seems), or you're rich enough not to mind taking a cash hit each year, I'd stay on a 2-year upgrade plan and get the redesigned model next year (iphone 6). The cash hit is probably less than for a Samsung, of course (one of my colleagues blows 300-400 each year for a new phone).

Personally, I have a 4 and I'm holding off for the 6 when it comes :)

AdonisSMU
Sep 10, 2013, 02:29 PM
Great, now the government can track everyone more easily now that your fingerprint can be recorded on your cellphone!

Just like they do with your government issued id.

Picka
Sep 10, 2013, 02:29 PM
So... from what I gathered, the NSA released new hardware today to scan fingerprints, and we only have to pay $80 a month for the pleasure...

macsrcool1234
Sep 10, 2013, 02:30 PM
Developers can't use it for authentication? TouchID is crippled right out of the gate....only two uses.

bedifferent
Sep 10, 2013, 02:30 PM
I'll be interested to see how scratch-resistant the backs are. That's clearly the reason they dropped the Slate in favor of "space grey."

I was thinking the same. Lighter anodized (or non-anondized) aluminum "colors" are less likely to show wear from the infamous "Scuffgate", the main reason I bought a white 5 model. My friends with black iPhones have to use cases otherwise it looks like it lost a fight with a cat. The retail black floor models are in embarrassing condition, a floor specialist admitted they use markers at close to hide the wear.

Ive claims he hates cases, well, produce a phone that doesn't need a case.

WilliamLondon
Sep 10, 2013, 02:31 PM
Price of iPhone C is an epic fail! £469 ARE YOU SERIOUS? with 80 pounds more you buy iPhone S. Unbelievable! What s the point? Do you believe that this is supposed to be affordable?

ARE *YOU* SERIOUS? £80 is such an easy way to identify the suckers, tech whores, morons and pretentious gits in the room, I never thought it'd cost so little to brand them! :D

flottenheimer
Sep 10, 2013, 02:32 PM
I really miss the 'available today'-announcements of the past.

Anyway, the very nice specs of the 5C are guaranteed to sell truckloads of phones. And if you are not currently on a 5, the 5S sure is a kick-ass mobile.

If we had never seen iOS7 and the spy info/photos of the 5C and 5S, this would have been a cool presentation.

nuckinfutz
It's about as close to being a non-feature as one could get and still be a bullet point.

64-bit addressing allows a device to make use of RAM space greater than 4GB, but since this model has less than that (1GB, 2? I couldn't find the RAM spec on Apple's site), about the only benefit I can think of is compatibility with certain development tools, which may help end users by helping devs port some games from OS X.

I was more than a bit surprised that Apple made such a key talking point out of the 64-bit thing. Are they planning on providing >4GB soon? Now that could get interesting.

64-bit processing does more than just address more RAM. With software properly written for 64-bit it crunches twice as much data. For developers it starts to make sense to optimize for 64-bit and then compile to 32-bit if you need the legacy support.

64-bit is not a useless feature by any stretch.

Mobster1983
Who has information that sensitive on their phone?

Every app that can "do damage" (banking, iTunes, credit card, etc.) requires it's own independent password anyway.

I can't fathom the need for this much security on a phone. What are people keeping on there? Blueprints for stealth drones?

Just about anyone who works in the corporate world. Do you enter your password every time you open mail? Lots of sensitive files go through email. Also documents on iWork, contact information and all kinds of other things. Most passwords are saved on the phone as well so you don't have to type them in each time you go to a website. This is a huge improvement and one that will help sell the iPhone to the government/military as well as many corporations.

Number 41
Sep 10, 2013, 02:33 PM
Developers can't use it for authentication? TouchID is crippled right out of the gate....only two uses.

It's the same reason SIRI is useless -- it can only do what Apple wants it to do as opposed to what developers are creative enough to do with it.

bryanescuela
Sep 10, 2013, 02:33 PM
day one buy for me, just for the a7 and better battery life, and the space gray color. :)

better battery life?

Ochyandkaren
Sep 10, 2013, 02:34 PM
Tiny update

Image (http://d35lb3dl296zwu.cloudfront.net/uploads/photo/image/13979/LB_8482.jpg)

That is really NOT inteligent.

One needs not to understand engineering at all, to avoid such ignorance.

Number 41
Sep 10, 2013, 02:35 PM
Just about anyone who works in the corporate world. Do you enter your password every time you open mail? Lots of sensitive files go through email. Also documents on iWork, contact information and all kinds of other things. Most passwords are saved on the phone as well so you don't have to type them in each time you go to a website. This is a huge improvement and one that will help sell the iPhone to the government/military as well as many corporations.

No, because nothing I do on my phone is remotely sensitive.

I do all my sensitive e-mail work from my office workstation and I leave all my confidential files secured in my office.

If something really needs to be protected like that, I sure as hell am not going to access it over an open signal on a device that can be lifted from me in public.

Km133
Sep 10, 2013, 02:35 PM
Pretty happy with the 5s announcement - I've got a 4s, so for people in the same boat, there's plenty of new features to keep us happy (larger screen, thinner, iOS7, better camera, fingerprint scanner etc. etc.).

The majority of iPhone owners I know are using a 4 / 4s (I think the 4s was the time a lot of people jumped ship from Blackberry, certainly amongst my friends!) so I can see a lot of 5s's (should that be 5s' ?) being sold!

It seems that the really impressive bits about the 5s though are on the inside with that A7 chip and improved graphics etc...

mnpmnp
Sep 10, 2013, 02:36 PM
I wonder what they are planning to call color version iphone when they release iPhone6s. There would be already iphone6c, released with iphone6.

The-Pro
Wonder if that will work with the 5?

scroll down, to the compatibility section. It says iphone 5 as well

singhjeet29
Why are there no pre-orders for the 5S?

GQB
Sep 10, 2013, 02:37 PM

Well THAT'll teach 'em! I can feel the tremors of fear all the way from Cupertino!

nuckinfutz
Sep 10, 2013, 02:37 PM

Why would you think developer need access to Touch ID? Developers don't have access to my Apple ID password? Eventually the hope may be that Touch ID becomes the authentication portal for more mobile commerce needs but that needs to be exposed to developers via an API and we really need to ascertain the security prowess of Touch ID before that happens.

PatriotInvasion
Sep 10, 2013, 02:38 PM
Huge Apple fan, and all I have to say is SNOOZE-FEST!:mad:

I remember a time when the iPhone event day was awesome. Now we all know everything that's coming and what came is not very impressive to me at all.

I mean this is literally the first new product Apple has released in nearly a full calendar year (bizarre for them). $120B in the bank and it took them 12 months to release the same phone with a fingerprint scanner to unlock it? The HTC One and Galaxy S4 are already killing the iPhone and now we all can wait until September 2014 to for Apple to do something about it. I might not be on the bandwagon with them to wait. HTC One is gorgeous and what the iPhone *should* be. What good is all of this horsepower for gaming if you need a magnifying glass to see what you're playing on this mini-baby-screen?

Gudi
Sep 10, 2013, 02:38 PM
So they get rid if the iPhone 5 make a 5c and 5s and make the 4s free wow. Keeping the 4s and cut the 5 I don't get it.
The iPhone 5 production line is needed to build more 5c and 5s. As expected the "c" stands for color, not cheap or china. The 4S (even if it is not made out of plastic) is the cheapest iPhone Apple can build with its old machinery.
But no one should buy it. Its too far behind in every aspect of technology.

With a full contract the iPhone 4S is basically a ripoff. :mad:

ColdCase
Sep 10, 2013, 02:39 PM

I hope not, the iPhone 5 screen is just right for me and my 5 family members... Need a larger screen, get yourself a iPad mini. That huge samsung phone is just too awkward to use, and fit in a pocket. Most of my friends are planning to turn them in for the iPhone 5.... not that the 5 doesn't have some room for improvement...

gostan
Sep 10, 2013, 02:40 PM
yawn...yawn...yawn......Apple put me to sleep today. Things just ain't what they used to be.:p

Satnam1989
Anyone notice apple emphasizing on the following regarding Facetime Calls:

HVGA-resolution (480 by 368) calls over Wi-Fi

I dont remember seeing it ever before for any other older iPhone model...

Tragic Gnome
Really wish the 5S was pre-order on the 13th too :(. Looks like I'm going to miss the first wave off this, for the first time ever!

macsrcool1234
Why would you think developer need access to Touch ID? Developers don't have access to my Apple ID password? Eventually the hope may be that Touch ID becomes the authentication portal for more mobile commerce needs but that needs to be exposed to developers via an API and we really need to ascertain the security prowess of Touch ID before that happens.

Ugh, maybe for the same reason as iTunes purchases? Logins. Also, the password (or print) is and never would be exposed to a developer.

Obviously you are not a programmer and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

haravikk
Sep 10, 2013, 02:41 PM
Bit weird about the mention of third party apps not getting access to the fingerprint; they don't need access to the fingerprint, all they need to be able to do is ask for verification and to get true or false as a response, iOS can securely handle the rest.

The only reason you'd want to get actual data is for distinguishing between multiple users, but iOS devices are fundamentally single-user environments, which is actually a shame but never mind that. Even if they were multi-user environments an API wouldn't need to expose fingerprint details, as it could just use an app's package identifier to generate a unique ID that the app can then use to distinguish between individual users and present some other form of id request (e.g - e-mail address and password) which it can then save locally so that in future the login can be handled automatically when the same finger print ID is observed.

Ideally Apple would do the latter system as it'd be more future-proof, especially if we were to later get this for laptops for example.

mabhatter
Sep 10, 2013, 02:43 PM

The "slate" they tried comes off as "whimpy grey" and scratches too easily.
The problem is that true brite-coat, piano black anodize is horribly non-friendly to the environment if you mishandle the chemicals... there's just no "nice" way to do it. So Apple can't control their suppliers to properly handle the nasty stuff, so they just don't do it at all. Not all "horrible chemicals" need to be banned because sometimes the results just can't be duplicated... you just gotta clean up after yourself.

kaielement
If the 5 is free no one will buy the 5c. I get what you mean though.

Could have put the 4s specs in the 5c and made that the free iPhone. I just don't like the idea of the 3.5" screen when you have the 4" screen and the lighting connector issue don't get me started lol.

nuckinfutz
Ugh, maybe for the same reason as iTunes purchases? Logins. Also, the password (or print) is and never would be exposed to a developer.

Obviously you are not a programmer and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

So says the guy that laments that Apple didn't have a new fingerprint authentication system AND software ready for 3rd party developers.

AdonisSMU
Sep 10, 2013, 02:44 PM
Did you guys see this?

I don't want to buy a phone on contract but I also don't want TMobile. I like AT&T.

Huracan
Hi,

Is there any indication that the iPhone 5S can do a voice call and LTE data access simultaneously? Currently the iPhone5 drops to "4G" when in a voice call, and in some cases that is painfully slow.

Lancer
So we get no 128Gb model, they still start at just 16Gb and we get a finger print scanner which is likely to have problems in the real world if the phone gets dirty.

Love my 3Gs but I was hoping for more like NFC and wireless charging. Should I wait another year for the iPhone 6?

ColdCase

Sigh... Be careful what you wish for, many of my friends think the larger screen phones are two awkward to use and carry and prefer our 5 or even 4s form. They will be switching to the iPhone just as soon as they can get out of their contract. Those that want more real estate for gaming and homework are using tablets, as even the larger screen phones are too small....

ed724
Sep 10, 2013, 02:45 PM

It's obvious you know nothing about a 64bit CPU.

JLL

5GHz 802.11n also came later to phones.

Urban Joe
So, when these high tech home buttons go out it will be like a 200.00 repair? I hope not. Surely, they have figured out a better design so these new "mr gadget" home buttons will not crap out like the old ones. I replaced my home button so many times on my iPhone 4 that I put it in the drawer and use my old 3GS instead.
I would rather have seen a fixed home button "area" instead of a mechanical springy one.

ditzy
Sep 10, 2013, 02:46 PM
The larger screen alone is a reason to do the upgrade. Is sounds like you are making excuses.

I have the 4s, and I think that there are plenty of reasons to upgrade to the 5s, increased speed, better camera, better security. Which is why I am upgrading. The only thing that I'm not looking forward to is the larger screen. If apple offered a 5s which had identical specs, but was the same size as the 4s that would be the one I bought. Not everyone wants a larger screen.

lxngtnguy
Sep 10, 2013, 02:46 PM
iPhone 5S models & bands of reception:

Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Model A1533 (CDMA)*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Ok, what's the point in making the 1533 model...both the GSM/CDMA; if you look the 1453 (Sprint) is able to access ALL of the bands & more than both the GSM/CDMA 1533 model combined??? I know the difference in the technologiesGSM/CDMA, but if a single model has the ability to access all of the bands as described, and the antenna is attenuated to receive those frequencies, and it has a place for a sim card, why bother producing the 1533???

& yes I rarely post, but I've read the forum for years, but I was a bit stumped on this one. :confused:

nuckinfutz
Sep 10, 2013, 02:48 PM
Bit weird about the mention of third party apps not getting access to the fingerprint; they don't need access to the fingerprint, all they need to be able to do is ask for verification and to get true or false as a response, iOS can securely handle the rest.

They likely mean that as a dev you cannot yet get access to do your own authentication aside from iTunes purchases. I'm sure the guys and gals at Collect3 would love to offer fingerprint scanning for Videosafe and other products. Gotta see how the scanner does under live fire.

iOS 8 perhaps?

macsrcool1234
So says the guy that laments that Apple didn't have a new fingerprint authentication system AND software ready for 3rd party developers.

Do yourself a favor and don't ever apply for Mensa.

Translation: I can offer no valid rebuttals and resort to ad-hominem.

If Apple doesn't have enough confidence to release an API for their new fingerprint system, it doesn't say much about their confidence in the fingerprint sensor.

kaielement
Did you guys see this?

I don't want to buy a phone on contract but I also don't want TMobile. I like AT&T.

The phone is unlocked so you can use it on AT&T or t-mobile. Now that t-mobile isn't doing contracts any phone you go with you are going to pay full price.

newdeal
A whole lot of "meh" in this announcement for me. Looks like I will be getting a Note 3 instead

Gudi
Sep 10, 2013, 02:49 PM
I remember a time when the iPhone event day was awesome. Now we all know everything that's coming and what came is not very impressive to me at all.
People are getting more unreasonable avery day. 64-bit, A7, M7, 2xCPU, 2xGPU is more than enough to be excited. What we could expect this year with the 5S was a mere 30% speed bump. What we got is a mayor redesign of every aspect of the iPhone platform. I can't say I like the direction this is all going. But we are heading fast forward. And there were even a few surprises left for the presentation.

kirky29
Sep 10, 2013, 02:50 PM
Boring. Looks like I'm keeping my S4 for now.

nuckinfutz
Sep 10, 2013, 02:50 PM
Translation: I can offer no valid rebuttals and resort to ad-hominem.

If Apple doesn't have enough confidence to release an API for their new fingerprint system, it doesn't say much about their confidence in the fingerprint sensor.

It's common sense why there's no 3rd party access. Rolling out new security hardware should mean limited software access by default.

Windlasher
Sep 10, 2013, 02:51 PM
Nothing I need here, Keeping the 5. Guess Ill be waiting for the 6.

Hear that Tim ? You want my money? Impress me.

sinfonye

I'd have thought it was more probably a 64-bit CPU/GPU (i.e. twice the bit width, which will be faster for graphics and maybe general processing). The "world first" claim was a bit odd, but might refer just to smart phone processors?

mabhatter

the iPhone 5 case is terrible to be handing out to "mass market plebs". You can bend the phone with just one hand if you're not careful.. let alone in a tight pair of jeans. That's just not acceptable for a "midrange" product. They have been taking flack from telcos for years becasue all those glass back iphone 4 phones get dropped when the customer leaves the store and then the customer has to pay for repairs. So they take the hit on "coolness" and reintroduced a nice tough polycarbate phone that should take some kicking around backpacks, pockets and purses nicely.

joshdammit

Turn the brightness up. That's what I do and it looks clear enough. Also, I'm not really sure why you're concerned about what improvements they implement on the new iPhone as it just sounds like you don't really enjoy using your phone to begin with.

TAI182
Do you guys think arriving at an Apple or AT&T store at 10:00 PM on Thursday night will be sufficient? I can't get there any earlier.

JayCee842
Why isn't it have a 1080p display? ugh. Still looks gorgeous, though. :)

Satnam1989
Did you guys see this?

why you stressing?

Have you looked at the Specs?

Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T and North America Factory Unlocked Model 5S and 5C = Same

It will support 3G/4G/LTE on All Networks

Model A1533/A1532 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
Model A1533/A1532 (CDMA ENABLED)*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Even the Sprint iPhone 5C/5S will support All GSM networks in North America but Sprint iPhone's are always LOCKED from being used within USA = Can only be used outside USA.

4Apples
Sep 10, 2013, 02:52 PM
hmm I like the new colors and the black/silver (HATED the black metal) and the finger print is cool but is it enough for me to go buy it? I think I might wait for next year and see the new design...

macsrcool1234
Sep 10, 2013, 02:53 PM
It's common sense why there's no 3rd party access. Rolling out new security hardware should mean limited software access by default.

You keep spinning in circles more than Linda Blair in the exorcist!

So by your definition....'limited access' entails access to the entire phone and iTunes account....but not third party developers.

You have NO idea what you're talking about and it is abundantly clear. With every post, you dig yourself deeper.

k995
Sep 10, 2013, 02:53 PM
Hmm fingerprint scanner from a company we know the NSA has a direct line to.

No matter how many times they say it will not leave your iphone ...