PDA

View Full Version : Dual-Core PMG5, blinking red light & sleep issues

solidbreakz
Nov 23, 2005, 08:12 PM
I bought a Dual-Core 2GHz Power Mac last month and just got around to opening the box and setting it up about a week ago. Other than a distinctly annoying sound coming from the right power supply fan in the bottom of the case I notice two issues that may require part replacement.

First, every time I power on the PM or it 'wakes from sleep' (more on this later) a small red LED light located on the logic board just behind the power button blinks on for about a second and then turns off (as the system and fans start up).

Second, this Mac does NOT sleep! 10.4.2 was installed from the factory w/ the bundled software. I couldn't get this thing to sleep even after reformatting and installing 10.4.1 (from another Tiger DVD), and updating to 10.4.2 again and then to 10.4.3. Basically I'll put it to sleep...it'll actually 'sleep' for two to three seconds then the red LED will blink on then go out and the damn PM will wake again.

I'm thinking logic board...maybe the power supply. Any ideas?

Sun Baked
Nov 23, 2005, 08:39 PM
You should have installed the OS from the Restore DVD that came with the machine.

Likely the update from the Tiger DVD doesn't have some of the stuff needed for the new machine.

Those Retail Mac OS DVDs are basically useless for most machines released after the DVD.

You basically don't need them since the machine comes with an OS version newer than the retail DVDs.

---

You may need to reinstall the OS from the DVD that came with the machine.

Also hitting the reset button may be in order.

Bear
Nov 23, 2005, 09:13 PM
1) I think the red light is normal

2) What USB and FireWire devices do you have hooked up? Are you using Bluetooth mouse and/or keyboard? One of these could be affecting the sleep function.

3) Restore the OS from the DVD that came with the system. It.s 10.4.2+ updates needed for the system. The 10.4.2 you get from software update is misisng stuff for the dual core systems.

solidbreakz
Nov 23, 2005, 09:43 PM
I guess I forgot to mention that I actually DID restore later from the discs provided with the PM. I'm currently using that OS build at the factory installed 10.4.2 and STILL having the same issues.

Bear
Nov 23, 2005, 09:44 PM
I guess I forgot to mention that I actually DID restore later from the discs provided with the PM. I'm currently using that OS build at the factory installed 10.4.2 and STILL having the same issues.
2) What USB and FireWire devices do you have hooked up? Are you using Bluetooth mouse and/or keyboard? One of these could be affecting the sleep function.

solidbreakz
Nov 23, 2005, 09:53 PM
I have only my Cinema Display and the keyboard and mouse that came packaged in the box attached to the PM. I have also alt+cmd+p+r'd three times in a row and did a SMU reset by pulling the power cord for 15 seconds after shutdown.

Sun Baked
Nov 23, 2005, 09:55 PM
Pulling the plug doesn't reset the machine, there is a battery that prevents this from working -- until the Li Battery dies.

Apple will take you through a PMU Reset ... Which may resolve the issue if reloading OS, and only having the USB Apple mouse/keyboard plugged in don't fix things.

Edit: If you did pull the plug, and do the hit the logic board's PMU Reset Button -- something may definitely be wrong.

solidbreakz
Nov 23, 2005, 10:04 PM
I read that since the Early 2005 rev machines, PM's don't HAVE PMU reset buttons built into the logic board anymore.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300341

Sun Baked
Nov 23, 2005, 10:12 PM
I read that since the Early 2005 rev machines, PM's don't HAVE PMU reset buttons built into the logic board anymore.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300341Name change (probably just silk screened SMU instead of PMU on the logic board), but it still says...

Power Mac G5 (Late 2005)

To reset the SMU on a Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) computer, either use the steps listed above for the Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) or:

1. Turn off the computer by selecting Shut Down from the Apple menu or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.
2. Open and remove both the metallic outer door and the inner plastic air deflector.
3. Remove the fan assembly immediately to the left of the processor module.
4. Press the SMU reset button on the logic board.
5. Replace the fan assembly, air deflector, and outer door.
6. Turn on the computer.

Unlike earlier models of Power Mac G5 or Power Mac G4 computers, the Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) and (Late 2005) models do not have a PMU. This functionality has been replaced by the SMU.

----

They still haven't release the developer docs on the dual core, don't expect a radical change in the architecture, but the button could be moved anywhere.