Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Gonna go ahead test the GM on iPad 3... Anyone feel relief for not having waiting for GM on iPad till October... But in other hand, I am kind worried about the performance on iPad... Anyone updated yet? What does it looks like on iPad 3

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
That's what I want to know too, there was loads of issues for ipad 3 hopefully they are all gone.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I'm having a lot of issues out of the gate with the GM on my iPad 3, but it is hard to tell if it is because of the GM or if overall performance of the device is currently degraded due to things downloading in the background from the iCloud restore.

Major issues I've encountered thus far:
  1. Control Center often does not open upon swiping up from the bottom of the iPad
  2. Typing is horrendous. The keyboard lags 5-10 seconds behind my typing in Messages, Safari, etc.
  3. Extremely slow wallpaper selection in Settings

Anyone else experiencing these or others?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I'm having a lot of issues out of the gate with the GM on my iPad 3, but it is hard to tell if it is because of the GM or if overall performance of the device is currently degraded due to things downloading in the background from the iCloud restore.

Major issues I've encountered thus far:
  1. Control Center often does not open upon swiping up from the bottom of the iPad
  2. Typing is horrendous. The keyboard lags 5-10 seconds behind my typing in Messages, Safari, etc.
  3. Extremely slow wallpaper selection in Settings

Anyone else experiencing these or others?

It'll probably be due to the restore. Clean install is not laggy here.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
It'll probably be due to the restore. Clean install is not laggy here.

Yeah, "Reset All Settings" definitely helped resolve many of the large issues.

Overall, the build still feels significantly slower than the iPhone version to me, but serviceable.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
The mini was newer than the iPad 3 and they run a different A5 chip.

No. A5X came after A5 and A5X used same processor with A5 but with quad core GPU for the retina display. AND iPad HAS MORE RAM THAN IPAD MINI.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
No. A5X came after A5 and A5X used same processor with A5 but with quad core GPU for the retina display. AND iPad HAS MORE RAM THAN IPAD MINI.

The mini didn't run an a5 or a5x, it ran a newer chip, a5 second gen.....

Also it's not retina, unlike the iPad, so not as demanding....

You'll never be satisfied tho.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
The mini didn't run an a5 or a5x, it ran a newer chip, a5 second gen.....

Also it's not retina, unlike the iPad, so not as demanding....

You'll never be satisfied tho.

A5 second gen is merely a die shrink. It is not a speed bump. So the A5X uses same processor with A5. iPad 3 gets retina display, but it also gets quad core GPU than dual core GPU on A5.

I am not satisfied with iOS 7 not perform well on my iPad 3 as my iPad mini.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
A5 second gen is merely a die shrink. It is not a speed bump. So the A5X uses same processor with A5. iPad 3 gets retina display, but it also gets quad core GPU than dual core GPU on A5.

I am not satisfied with iOS 7 not perform well on my iPad 3 as my iPad mini.

Have you got source for the claim the 2nd gen a5 is nothing more than a die shrink?

Simple answer for you is to not upgrade the OS or replace the device. Any apple user knows that after 12-18 months, there will be some issues with new software. Hell, many android devices clearly capable of running the current OS but purchased 12 months ago or more are not even being allowed to update.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Sakura, any chance of actual genuine performance feedback rather than the same posts with iPad 3 bashing/A5 facts/test product nonsense that seems to occur in every thread you appear in?

Thanks.

LeoNatan

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2013
Sakura, any chance of actual genuine performance feedback rather than the same posts with iPad 3 bashing/A5 facts/test product nonsense that seems to occur in every thread you appear in?

Thanks.
How about you install on iPad 3 and test for yourself. :rolleyes:

It's horrible. And Apple's method of "problem solving" is pathetic - in beta 5 they decided to remove blurred backgrounds on the iPad 3; and guess what - we are in GM now, for all intents and purposes the same build that the general public will get, and it is still horribly performing. Awful.

----------

For the OP: There's a conversation ender if you even needed one. "tho"
Let me guess shandyman, you probably like to use "should of" as well.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Have you got source for the claim the 2nd gen a5 is nothing more than a die shrink?

Simple answer for you is to not upgrade the OS or replace the device. Any apple user knows that after 12-18 months, there will be some issues with new software. Hell, many android devices clearly capable of running the current OS but purchased 12 months ago or more are not even being allowed to update.

Sigh...here you go. According to Wikipedia: Apple uses a second version of the A5 chip in the Apple TV third generation, announced on March 7, 2012,[22] the iPod Touch fifth generation, the iPad mini and the 32 nm revision of the iPad 2.[

A5 got a die shrink in iPad 2 refresh before. The same processor were used on iPod Touch and 3rd gen. Apple TV with one core disabled.

For your Android inquiry, yes, Apple does good job in providing update for older device, but with feature reduction. Some Android manufactures choose not updating their phone with new OS because they get so many devices on the market, it is almost impossible for them to update every single phone out there. And we are taking about Apple here, you don't have to drag Android in to discussion just to make Apple better

----------

Thanks.

Like I said:

1. keyboard lag so much using Pingyin IME. Typing Chinese is like nightmare on this thing where as iPad Mini perform better

2. Siri often not responding where as iPad Mini does.

3. iPad Mini gets blur effect and iPad 3 does not.

4. Brig multitasking card view is faster on iPad Mini than iPad 3

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
How about you install on iPad 3 and test for yourself. :rolleyes:

It's horrible. And Apple's method of "problem solving" is pathetic - in beta 5 they decided to remove blurred backgrounds on the iPad 3; and guess what - we are in GM now, for all intents and purposes the same build that the general public will get, and it is still horribly performing. Awful.

First, I'm more than certain Sakura can speak for himself without a newbie butting in to point score and brown nose. :rolleyes:

Second, my wife now has my (old) iPad 3rd Gen and she doesn't want iOS 7 anywhere near it. I've explained that if she updates officially next week, once the signing window closes on iOS 6 she can't go back, but she still isn't interested in trying the GM to test performance.

My 4S runs beautifully on the GM, far smoother than beta 6 and the iPad 4 build is downloading as I type.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
It's horrible on iPad 4 as well, don't fret... Glitching and stuttering everywhere. GM set as new (no backup).

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Like I said:

1. keyboard lag so much using Pingyin IME. Typing Chinese is like nightmare on this thing where as iPad Mini perform better

2. Siri often not responding where as iPad Mini does.

3. iPad Mini gets blur effect and iPad 3 does not.

4. Brig multitasking card view is faster on iPad Mini than iPad 3

Some people have commented that if they only updated to the GM that resetting all settings helped with any keyboard lag, although you may well have restored which renders the above moot.

Beta 6 on iPad 4 was pretty poor, the keyboard lag was awful (albeit oddly sporadic in nature) and animations when rotating the device between portrait and landscape were sluggish, as were animations when 'zooming in' to a selected app on the multi tasking UI. The GM for iPad 4 is coming slowly but surely, it's just after 12am here in Glasgow ... it's going to be a late night.

----------

It's horrible on iPad 4 as well, don't fret... Glitching and stuttering everywhere. GM set as new (no backup).

Restore or update?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
For the OP: There's a conversation ender if you even needed one. "tho"
Let me guess shandyman, you probably like to use "should of" as well.

You're not meant to post commenting on spelling/grammar. I can say things how I choose to. You don't like it, ignore it.

Additionally, nothing wrong with 'tho' or 'should of'. Additionally, the word tho was not the conversation, but the sentence as a whole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.