PDA

View Full Version : Apple Increases AppleCare+ iPhone Service Charges, Adds iPods, Expands to New Countries

MacRumors
Sep 10, 2013, 03:12 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/apple-increases-applecare-iphone-service-charges-adds-ipods-expands-to-new-countries/)

Following the announcement of the iPhone 5s (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/apple-announces-iphone-5s/) and iPhone 5c (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/apple-announces-colorful-new-iphone-5c-starting-at-99-on-two-year-contract/) today at its media event, Apple has made changes to its AppleCare+ (http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A/applecare-for-iphone) service program for the iPhone, including raising service fees for accidental damage from $49 to $79, with the cost for the plan itself remaining at $99 to provide two years of coverage from the device purchase date.

Apple is also expanding availability of AppleCare+ beyond the United States, Canada, and Japan, with the program now also being offered (http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/) in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Austria, Germany, France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, and the UK.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/applecare_plus_ios_7.jpg
Addtionally, Apple is now offering (http://store.apple.com/us/product/S5085LL/A/applecare-for-ipod-touchipod-classic?fnode=71) AppleCare+ coverage for the existing iPod touch and iPod classic models, and will also be dropping service protection for its "Earpods" headphones from the program.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/applecare+new_ipod-800x254.png
AppleCare+ originally launched (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/apple-launches-applecare-with-accidental-iphone-damage-coverage/) in 2011 and covered accidental iPhone damage for the first time for all iPhone models. Late last month, a report (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/28/applecare-possibly-launching-soon-in-europe/) surfaced that AppleCare+ would be expanding to Europe.

Article Link: Apple Increases AppleCare+ iPhone Service Charges, Adds iPods, Expands to New Countries (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/apple-increases-applecare-iphone-service-charges-adds-ipods-expands-to-new-countries/)

musika
Sep 10, 2013, 03:13 PM
And now it's not worth it.

MN7119
Sep 10, 2013, 03:14 PM
Will stick with my Amex coverage

quagmire
Sep 10, 2013, 03:16 PM

$257< $458.

It's still less than what it costs to drop and break the iPhone twice and get it replaced.

jfrancis04
Sep 10, 2013, 03:17 PM
For those who already have it on an iPhone 5, it would still just be $49 to replace though, right?

xlost6
Sep 10, 2013, 03:20 PM
For those who already have it on an iPhone 5, it would still just be $49 to replace though, right?

Yup. It's gone once you use up the two accidental replacements and you have to renew, then only will it become the $79. Glad I have one $49 replacement left.

Nothlit
Sep 10, 2013, 03:21 PM

Yeah, I just had my 4S replaced out of warranty and my Amazon Visa extended warranty service paid for it. I've never bought AppleCare and never plan to.

Rend It
Sep 10, 2013, 03:22 PM
It may be less expensive than getting two phones replaced, but still not worth it if you actually take care of your phone.

Especially not worth it after the last two times I tried to get a NON-incidental damage problem (i.e., defective hardware) covered under Apple Care+. Not sure if it's Cook, but Apple has been super stingy the last several years with the way they deal with hardware issues.

quagmire
Sep 10, 2013, 03:29 PM
It may be less expensive than getting two phones replaced, but still not worth it if you actually take care of your phone.

Especially not worth it after the last two times I tried to get a NON-incidental damage problem (i.e., defective hardware) covered under Apple Care+. Not sure if it's Cook, but Apple has been super stingy the last several years with the way they deal with hardware issues.

Warranties, accident coverage, etc are never worth it if you end up never using it. But, it's peace of mind that even if I only drop my phone once it's still cheaper than the $229 replacement fee. If you use it twice, the value of it increases big time.

I spent $250 on AppleCare for my MBP. Never had to use it. So technically that $250 was wasted and not worth it.

IJ Reilly
Sep 10, 2013, 03:38 PM

Extended warranties are always a rip.

----------

Warranties, accident coverage, etc are never worth it if you end up never using it. But, it's peace of mind that even if I only drop my phone once it's still cheaper than the $229 replacement fee. If you use it twice, the value of it increases big time.

I spent $250 on AppleCare for my MBP. Never had to use it. So technically that $250 was wasted and not worth it.

Your money wasn't technically wasted, it was really wasted. All extended warranties are grossly overpriced. I get more peace of mind knowing that I haven't wasted the money.

daneoni
Sep 10, 2013, 03:42 PM
More fleecing.

quagmire
Sep 10, 2013, 03:43 PM
Your money wasn't technically wasted, it was really wasted. All extended warranties are grossly overpriced. I get more peace of mind knowing that I haven't wasted the money.

It's less wasted than for those who don't get the student discount and have to pay the full $349!

DrFreeze21
Sep 10, 2013, 03:46 PM
Maybe I missed it, but with the iPhone 5 being discontinued, does this have any impact on our AppleCare+ replacements? Meaning, if I have an issue with my 5, if I have to pay the $49 for the replacement, will I still get a refurb 5 or new 5? Not a 5c or 5s?

Battlefield Fan
Sep 10, 2013, 03:48 PM
Wow. Bad choice Apple. Bad Choice.

goodcow
Sep 10, 2013, 03:53 PM
I hope they still let you buy the old $69 AppleCare via telesales.

IJ Reilly
Sep 10, 2013, 04:07 PM
It's less wasted than for those who don't get the student discount and have to pay the full $349!

True, but fortunately nobody has to pay anything. It's really just a choice as to how much you are prepared to throw down the rat hole.

edizzlevr6
Sep 10, 2013, 04:44 PM
Yup. It's gone once you use up the two accidental replacements and you have to renew, then only will it become the $79. Glad I have one $49 replacement left.

similarily, does that mean that you will still get an iPhone 5 as a replacement?

I read the 5 is being discountinued. You don't think the accidental replacement will be a 5C right? That would blow

bostonsox
Sep 10, 2013, 04:51 PM

Do you need to have bought the phone at full price or does it work with 'subsidized' price as well?

rshanahan
Sep 10, 2013, 05:10 PM
Funny how they didn't 'announce' that today,haha! Guess a lot of people have been dropping their phones.

Extended warranty is what is is, value and piece of mind for some, a waste of money for others. I'm not 100% for or against it, and do have it on some products (apple or other), all depends on the product, cost, and how I end up using it.

Too bad we can't get an automatic 2 year warranty as they were forced to give in Europe!

charlituna
Sep 10, 2013, 05:46 PM

You can't renew.

And the article is wrong. It's one additional year, not two.

aristobrat
Sep 10, 2013, 05:47 PM
That only covers accidental damage during the first 90 days, no?

charlituna
Sep 10, 2013, 05:48 PM
Not sure if it's Cook, but Apple has been super stingy the last several years with the way they deal with hardware issues.

Not really sure what you mean by stingy. Unless you mean that they stopped just handing everyone with a complaint a replacement but now fix what is actually wrong by replacing broken speakers, cameras, batteries etc. And not replacing stuff that is software or carrier issues. Which has always been in the terms you agreed to they just hadn't been enforcing it.

xlost6
Sep 10, 2013, 05:48 PM
You can't renew.

And the article is wrong. It's one additional year, not two.

It's still $49 for those that have AppleCare Plus (before) even when this new plan goes into effect. That's the point I'm making. But if I break my iPhone 5 and they ask me if I want AppleCare Plus. Then I will say yes and I will then be entitled to pay the $79 now.

rickdollar
Sep 10, 2013, 06:27 PM
It's still $49 for those that have AppleCare Plus (before) even when this new plan goes into effect. That's the point I'm making. But if I break my iPhone 5 and they ask me if I want AppleCare Plus. Then I will say yes and I will then be entitled to pay the $79 now.

If you break your phone and you do not already have AC+ on it, you will not be offered AC+. You will pay the replacement cost of about $229 or possibly less if they repair it in-store.

xlost6
Sep 10, 2013, 06:29 PM
You can only purchase AC+ at the time of, or within 30 days of phone purchase. Phone must have no physical damage at the time of AC+ purchase. You will not qualify for AC+ after physical damage has occurred.
Let me break this down to you.

I break my iPhone 5. I take it to Apple. Apple asks me do you want this iPhone 5 to be replaced. I say yes. They bring me out a replacement for $229. They ask me right when they give me a replacement whether I want AppleCare Plus or not. I say "Yes" or "No". I'm covered for a year with two accidental damages. If I use up my two accidental damages. I can repurchase AppleCare Plus again to get the two accidental damages when I go in for a replacement iPhone 5.

This happens. Don't tell me otherwise because I've had my iPhone 5 break twice already.

Jesus.

Leonard1818
Sep 10, 2013, 08:00 PM

How do you know it'll still be $49? I sure hope it is cause that's what I signed up for.... I've been sitting on a cracked (but useable) iphone 5 that I'm intending to have swapped with my AC+ warranty as soon as the 5s comes out. I will be REALLY mad if I call and they try to tell me it'll be $79. I've bought 3 AC+ extended warranties on 3 iOS devices and I've never had a claim.

I just wonder if you read that somewhere or what....

koolaid-drinker
Sep 10, 2013, 08:09 PM

I work for them and I cannot confirm that it is still $49 .

It is my understanding as well as my co-workers that it is increased to $79.00 across the board.

I wish I had better information, but as far as I know, it is now $79 per incident for everyone.

Leonard1818
Sep 10, 2013, 08:12 PM

It is my understanding as well as my co-workers that it is increased to $79.00 across the board.

I wish I had better information, but as far as I know, it is now $79 per incident for everyone.

Bummer.... Kinda BS that they would do that.

QuarterSwede
Sep 10, 2013, 08:15 PM

Sorry to say but you're going to have to deal with a lot of hate. I bought AppleCare+ because of the $49 two times replacement. I they increased the price I bet there's a class action lawsuit a'comin'.

Leonard1818
Sep 10, 2013, 08:23 PM
Sorry to say but you're going to have to deal with a lot of hate. I bought AppleCare+ because of the $49 two times replacement. I they increased the price I bet there's a class action lawsuit a'comin'.

Agreed. I would not have bought it had I known. Between AC+ and an expensive, nice case... AC+ came in slightly more economical for me. Wouldn't have been so had I known it was going to be $79.

koolaid-drinker
Sep 10, 2013, 08:34 PM
Agreed. I would not have bought it had I known. Between AC+ and an expensive, nice case... AC+ came in slightly more economical for me. Wouldn't have been so had I known it was going to be $79.

I hear ya.

I have AC+ on my iPhone 5 as well.

If I find out anything different, I will let everyone know.

There hasn't been any "official" news released about existing plans yet.

So the current assumption is that is has went up across the board.

nealh
Sep 10, 2013, 08:37 PM
I hear ya.

I have AC+ on my iPhone 5 as well.

If I find out anything different, I will let everyone know.

There hasn't been any "official" news released about existing plans yet.

So the current assumption is that is has went up across the board.

Doubt that is true for the older plan. You bought the older plan, the contract they send has the details including replacement cost. It will apply for new plans.
Go read the warranty.

koolaid-drinker
Sep 10, 2013, 10:03 PM
Doubt that is true for the older plan. You bought the older plan, the contract they send has the details including replacement cost. It will apply for new plans.
Go read the warranty.

Here is the warranty:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

http://images.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplus_us_tc.pdf

- Under AppleCare+ for iPhone, you will pay a $79 (U.S.) dollar (CA$79) service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim.
- Under AppleCare+ for iPad, you will pay a $49 (U.S.) dollar (CA$49) service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim.
- Under AppleCare+ for iPod, you will pay a $29 (U.S.) dollar (CA$29) service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim.

charlituna
Sep 10, 2013, 10:25 PM
I can repurchase AppleCare Plus again to get the two accidental damages when I go in for a replacement iPhone 5.

No you can't. You get to buy apple care plus once. Total, two years from date of our purchase, if you use up your two times you pay the full replacement costs on all further damage

josh.ua
Sep 10, 2013, 10:34 PM
You only have the option of adding AppleCare+ A) at the time of purchase B) within the first 30 days of purchase at an Apple Store or C) at the time of your *first* incident within the first year. If you pay $149 to replace the display, you are not offered the choice to buy AppleCare+. If you decide to pay $229 to replace the whole phone, you can add AppleCare+ for $49. If you decline and drop your phone again you do not have the option of adding it anymore. If you don't drop it till a year after purchase, even if it is your first incident you do not have the option if adding it. That is how it is currently.

As for the new plan, the increased service fee probably comes from the more expensive display cost since it incorporates the Touch ID sensor. Like the other apple employee, I have not heard anything official but my guess is that they will let everyone with AppleCare+ currently to continue to pay the $49 fee but for any future iPhone purchases, it will be $79. I also think the non-AppleCare+ fee will go up too so you're still saving the same amount of money by buying AppleCare+. Ex: currently with AppleCare+ it is $49 to replace a cracked display or a liquid danger phone. Without it, it's $149 for the display or $229 for the phone. My guess is that the new cost without AppleCare+ will be $179/$199 for the display or $249/$279 for the whole phone. This is just my guess because it makes the most sense to me.

Lastly, you can't just swap out the phone with AppleCare+ if it's cracked. Apple's new philosophy is they they will "fix" the issue chasing your phone to not work. That means if the only thing wrong is a cracked display, they will replace the display. If the enclosure is bent or split, or if the phone has liquid damage, then they will replace the whole phone.

xlost6
Sep 10, 2013, 11:08 PM
You only have the option of adding AppleCare+ A) at the time of purchase B) within the first 30 days of purchase at an Apple Store or C) at the time of your *first* incident within the first year. If you pay $149 to replace the display, you are not offered the choice to buy AppleCare+. If you decide to pay $229 to replace the whole phone, you can add AppleCare+ for $49. If you decline and drop your phone again you do not have the option of adding it anymore. If you don't drop it till a year after purchase, even if it is your first incident you do not have the option if adding it. That is how it is currently.

As for the new plan, the increased service fee probably comes from the more expensive display cost since it incorporates the Touch ID sensor. Like the other apple employee, I have not heard anything official but my guess is that they will let everyone with AppleCare+ currently to continue to pay the $49 fee but for any future iPhone purchases, it will be $79. I also think the non-AppleCare+ fee will go up too so you're still saving the same amount of money by buying AppleCare+. Ex: currently with AppleCare+ it is $49 to replace a cracked display or a liquid danger phone. Without it, it's $149 for the display or $229 for the phone. My guess is that the new cost without AppleCare+ will be $179/$199 for the display or $249/$279 for the whole phone. This is just my guess because it makes the most sense to me.

Lastly, you can't just swap out the phone with AppleCare+ if it's cracked. Apple's new philosophy is they they will "fix" the issue chasing your phone to not work. That means if the only thing wrong is a cracked display, they will replace the display. If the enclosure is bent or split, or if the phone has liquid damage, then they will replace the whole phone.

This is what I was trying to say and I had a few errors in my responses but thanks for clarifying :D

koolaid-drinker
Sep 10, 2013, 11:29 PM

Agreed.

It has probably increased due to the more complex parts of the new iPhones.
AC+ is only offered within the first 30 days of purchase and the device must be damage-free.

As soon as I receive a damage call on an AC+ account, I will be able to confirm if it has increased for people who already have it.

As an alternate, you can call AppleCare and ask to speak with Agreement Admin, and ask them if you have to pay the old/new fee.

nealh
Sep 11, 2013, 04:52 AM
Here is the warranty:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

http://images.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplus_us_tc.pdf

- Under AppleCare+ for iPhone, you will pay a $79 (U.S.) dollar (CA$79) service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim.
- Under AppleCare+ for iPad, you will pay a $49 (U.S.) dollar (CA$49) service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim.
- Under AppleCare+ for iPod, you will pay a $29 (U.S.) dollar (CA$29) service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim.

Yes that's the current plan. But you need to look at an older plan. The one I got with my iPhone 5. It says $49 fee with accidental damage

kd5jos
Sep 11, 2013, 06:00 AM
Extended warranties are always a rip.

----------

This is a generalization. No, not ALL "extended warranties" are a rip off or grossly overpriced. Apple care has saved my ass from thousands of dollars of expense EVERY time I've had it. As soon as the iPhones switched to AppleCare+ it became not worth it to ME, but I know several teenagers that benefitted immensely. Now it has even less value, that's true.

Leonard1818
Sep 11, 2013, 07:55 AM

see, to me, another crock... I live over an hour from any apple retail store. I bought the AC+ warranty on 3 devices for two reasons:

1. It comes to $150 to replace my phone ($100 for the warranty and $50 for the first "oops"). A really really good element case or otherwise is nearly as expensive... (not that I would ever buy one of those, but for comparison's sake). To me, it was economically more reasonable to be able to carry my phone w/o case and take my chances knowing I have a warranty to fall back on.

2. Advance replacement. Referring back -- I live over an hour from the nearest apple retail store. When I read that AC+ would do an Advance Replacement of the device, I was sold. Beats driving over 2 hours to get my phone "fixed". I do have a chip in my screen but the phone is useable. I also have a relaly banged up chasis and I bet if I wait another month, the sleep/wake button will flake like on my launch-day phone. Point is, how many things need to be wrong for an "Advance replacemnt" to happen? Cause if they're not going to replace it thru the mail, I might as well NOT buy AC+.

funnyboy88
Sep 11, 2013, 08:52 AM
Dudes, out if warranty replacement for an iPhone 5 is $269. Source:
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

Let's say you get caught in the rain once.
Without AppleCare+: $269
With AppleCare+: $99 initial + $79 fee = $78
That's a savings of $91.

Let's say 14 months in, your home button stops clicking.
Without AppleCare+: $269
With AppleCare+: $99 + no service fee
That's a savings of $170.

So AppleCare will save you some money. It's not as good of a deal, but it is still cost effective.

If you want your credit card company to replace your device, how does it work? Do you get the service done at the Genius Bar, pay, and then get reimbursed later by the credit card company? I'm curious to learn about AppleCare alternatives.

koolaid-drinker
Sep 11, 2013, 08:55 AM
Just got official word today that those who already have AC+ will remain on their original plan and will only have to pay $49.

twoehr
Sep 11, 2013, 09:16 AM
I too am disappointed by the increase from $49 to $79 for an "accidental" damage replacement, but not surprised. Recently when I had my phone in for battery issues I was told that it was "normal wear" and not covered under the extended warranty, so I'd have to pay $79 for a battery replacement. According to the Genius when the AC+ was originally sold it was very common for people to not realize, and for salespeople to not mention, that "worn" batteries are not covered. Luckily my phone had other issues that required a complete replacement at no charge.

When it comes to my next purchase, a 5s, I will check into the options my credit cards provided, as I think I was more lucky than wise in needing AC+. I will miss though using no case and no screen protector if it comes to that.

street.cory
Sep 11, 2013, 09:19 AM

I break my iPhone 5. I take it to Apple. Apple asks me do you want this iPhone 5 to be replaced. I say yes. They bring me out a replacement for $229. They ask me right when they give me a replacement whether I want AppleCare Plus or not. I say "Yes" or "No". I'm covered for a year with two accidental damages. If I use up my two accidental damages. I can repurchase AppleCare Plus again to get the two accidental damages when I go in for a replacement iPhone 5.

This happens. Don't tell me otherwise because I've had my iPhone 5 break twice already.

Jesus.

It's still $49 for those that have AppleCare Plus (before) even when this new plan goes into effect. That's the point I'm making. But if I break my iPhone 5 that already has AppleCare Plus and they ask me if I want AppleCare Plus on my replacement iPhone 5, then I will say yes and I will then be entitled to pay the $79 now.

I understood what you were saying originally, but sometimes people get confused.

koolaid-drinker
Sep 11, 2013, 09:21 AM
I too am disappointed by the increase from $49 to $79 for an "accidental" damage replacement, but not surprised. Recently when I had my phone in for battery issues I was told that it was "normal wear" and not covered under the extended warranty, so I'd have to pay $79 for a battery replacement. According to the Genius when the AC+ was originally sold it was very common for people to not realize, and for salespeople to not mention, that "worn" batteries are not covered. Luckily my phone had other issues that required a complete replacement at no charge.

When it comes to my next purchase, a 5s, I will check into the options my credit cards provided, as I think I was more lucky than wise in needing AC+. I will miss though using no case and no screen protector if it comes to that.

Worn batteries are normal as batteries deplete over time.
For AC+ to cover it, the capacity of the Covered Equipment’s battery to hold an electrical charge has to have depleted fifty (50%) percent or more from its original specifications

leetnyc01
Sep 11, 2013, 09:52 AM
Before the announcement an iPhone Out of Warranty replacement was 229USD, now if you go to the pricing page, it is 269USD. Does this seem odd to others that they've increased the replacement cost rather than reduce it as with previous models whenever they come out with a new version?

IJ Reilly
Sep 11, 2013, 10:37 AM
This is a generalization. No, not ALL "extended warranties" are a rip off or grossly overpriced. Apple care has saved my ass from thousands of dollars of expense EVERY time I've had it. As soon as the iPhones switched to AppleCare+ it became not worth it to ME, but I know several teenagers that benefitted immensely. Now it has even less value, that's true.

It's an entirely accurate generalization. Extended warranties are notoriously overpriced. They are some of the most profitable products offered by any company that sells them. This is why we are so often pressured to buy them. They are not trying to do us a favor.

The costs to consumers associated with extended warranties are very well documented. Your anecdotes are not proof or even evidence to the contrary.

nealh
Sep 11, 2013, 11:00 AM
Just got official word today that those who already have AC+ will remain on their original plan and will only have to pay $49.

Of course, as I said the previous warranty said it was $49.

I have had issues an AppleCare + has not helped at all(overheating 4S and they acted like this was no issue. called Applecare+ and they said make another appt and go back, WTF). I have not been happy with my treatment, I think I will pass on it this time.

wesk702
Sep 11, 2013, 12:24 PM

Wonder if somebody is gonna start a class action if this is true lol.

txaggie96
Sep 11, 2013, 02:24 PM
For AC+ to cover it, the capacity of the Covered Equipment’s battery to hold an electrical charge has to have depleted fifty (50%) percent or more from its original specifications

I went in last week to claim a worn battery for my 4S and he told me, "Yep, your battery is shot, but AC+ doesn't cover batteries at all."

Fortunately I also have the overheating 4S issue, but in my case there was no denying it because the heat has damaged the pixels of the screen. They were able to apply the AC+ (deductible free) for the screen.

Seems kind of silly though that AC+ doesn't cover batteries since I theoretically could just go outside and "accidentally" drop my phone until it breaks and pay a cheaper price then the battery replacement charge.

RichBitch626
Sep 11, 2013, 02:39 PM
My question is, since they're completely replacing the iPhone 5 & I have an iPhone 5 with Apple Care, if something happens to my phone do they keep extra iPhone 5 to replace the ones ppl already have now? So will I get a new iPhone 5 or will I have to get a cheap ass iPhone 5C as a replacement? Or an iPhone 5S? Cuz I don't want no plastic POS in replace of my iPhone 5. I'd rather get an iPhone 5S but I'm happy with my iPhone 5 just wondering how that works now?

jettredmont
Sep 11, 2013, 02:44 PM
If you break your phone and you do not already have AC+ on it, you will not be offered AC+. You will pay the replacement cost of about $229 or possibly less if they repair it in-store.

Depends. I brought a shattered-screen iPhone 4s in for repair without AC+, about 9 months old if I recall. They offered to repair it, or I could get a $50 discount on the repair if I bought AC+ at the same time (or was it $50 off AC+? Either way, same outcome). Getting the repair and AC+ peace of mind for the next year+ was worth the extra $50, so I took it. AC+ coverage was effective the original purchase date (expired two years from original purchase, not from the actual purchase date of AC+), and that visit cost me more than had I bought AC+ day one (I think it was $250; had I bought AC+ when I had intended to when I got the phone and used the $49 replacement that would have totaled $150).

So, yeah, you might be able to buy AC+ when you need it, but it's going to cost more that way than just buying it up front.

IMHO, the minimum benefit AC+ allows is the option of new blank-slate hardware for cheap two years later. I have a 64MB 4S; replacing it for $49 at the end of this month with brand-new hardware before handing it off to the kids is tempting. I don't think there are any hardware or cosmetic issues to speak of with it, though, so I probably won't bother.

----------

Sorry, but that would be violation of the AppleCare warrantee contract. It would not be legal for Apple to change the terms of the contract unilaterally.

The $79 fee can only apply to new contracts initiated after the terms were changed. Hopefully you aren't overcharging people coming into your store (ideally, the $49/$79 charge will just come up in the computer and store employees will have no say in it).

JAT
Sep 11, 2013, 04:52 PM
I went in last week to claim a worn battery for my 4S and he told me, "Yep, your battery is shot, but AC+ doesn't cover batteries at all."

Fortunately I also have the overheating 4S issue, but in my case there was no denying it because the heat has damaged the pixels of the screen. They were able to apply the AC+ (deductible free) for the screen.

Seems kind of silly though that AC+ doesn't cover batteries since I theoretically could just go outside and "accidentally" drop my phone until it breaks and pay a cheaper price then the battery replacement charge.
There is a special battery replacement price, it's kept separate from other repairs. I forget, $99?
My question is, since they're completely replacing the iPhone 5 & I have an iPhone 5 with Apple Care, if something happens to my phone do they keep extra iPhone 5 to replace the ones ppl already have now? So will I get a new iPhone 5 or will I have to get a cheap ass iPhone 5C as a replacement? Or an iPhone 5S? Cuz I don't want no plastic POS in replace of my iPhone 5. I'd rather get an iPhone 5S but I'm happy with my iPhone 5 just wondering how that works now?
You'd get a 5. They will have them for warranty swaps for a few more years, at least.

toille4
Sep 11, 2013, 07:30 PM
No Australia? Grrrrr:mad:

Rend It
Sep 12, 2013, 01:34 AM
Not really sure what you mean by stingy. Unless you mean that they stopped just handing everyone with a complaint a replacement but now fix what is actually wrong by replacing broken speakers, cameras, batteries etc. And not replacing stuff that is software or carrier issues. Which has always been in the terms you agreed to they just hadn't been enforcing it.

By stingy, I simply mean that, in the 10+ years I've purchased Apple products, the last several years have involved multiple trips (3-4 trips per incident for 4 separate hardware problems) to the Genius Bar, for the same issue, before a hardware repair/replacement is issued.

It's simply about trusting your customers and respecting their time, not the so-called Geniuses.

In fact, in the most recent incident, the Genius actually tried to tell my wife and I that the repeating problem she was experiencing with her iPhone was because she wasn't closing the apps in the iPhone's dock. Anyone who has been on Macrumors for any substantial length of time knows that's an ignorant lie. The apps in the dock are just recently opened apps.

I'm not sure if it's poor training, pure ignorance, or both, but the quality of service at Apple Stores is just not what it used to be. That's what I mean by stingy.

JayLenochiniMac
Sep 12, 2013, 06:36 AM
And I thank all of you who "accidentally damage" your iPhone before the warranty is up or when you desire a replacement and think nothing of it. Good job.

dumastudetto
Sep 12, 2013, 06:39 AM
If people are abusing the insurance by deliberately breaking phones for replacements then it will hurt them in the long-term as well as Apple. All insurance claims are logged and those that make claims pay the highest premiums on all kinds of insurance products.

I'm sure Apple will refuse to insure those who have made regular use of the replacements in future too.

twoehr
Sep 12, 2013, 01:53 PM

I see that text you provided in section 3.1 of the AC+ Terms and Conditions. I would advise people to bring a copy of T&C with them if they have a battery issue. I was told I'd have to pay for a new battery, and mine was below 50% on the tool they used to measure the battery. I'd say I was mislead, but it had a happy ending.

koolaid-drinker
Sep 16, 2013, 07:08 PM
I see that text you provided in section 3.1 of the AC+ Terms and Conditions. I would advise people to bring a copy of T&C with them if they have a battery issue. I was told I'd have to pay for a new battery, and mine was below 50% on the tool they used to measure the battery. I'd say I was mislead, but it had a happy ending.

Glad you had a happy ending to it!

xlost6
Sep 20, 2013, 07:21 AM
If people are abusing the insurance by deliberately breaking phones for replacements then it will hurt them in the long-term as well as Apple. All insurance claims are logged and those that make claims pay the highest premiums on all kinds of insurance products.

I'm sure Apple will refuse to insure those who have made regular use of the replacements in future too.
What? And you know this because?

kd5jos
Oct 24, 2013, 02:23 AM
It's an entirely accurate generalization.

And a stereotype really is an accurate stereotype if it applies to a large enough population?

Here's the correction you need to add ->SOME Extended warranties are notoriously overpriced. They are some [notice you got it right here] of the most profitable products offered by any company that sells them.

This is why we are so often pressured to buy them.

You have really never purchased an Apple product in person have you? In years of dealing with the Apple stores the MOST pressure ever applied was, "Are you familiar with Apple care?" I have had opportunity to stand and watch 100's of customers be asked this question. The reaction to "yep don't need it" is "Okay you have 30 days ...." Real HIGH PRESSURE sales going on there.

I've also watched people try and get Apple to take care of something that Apple Care would have resolved without having purchased it. I love it when entitled idiots try to convince Apple they are owed something when they did not think it was important enough to get AppleCare. They gambled and lost, but then want Apple to pick up the tab anyway. Pathetic really...

They are not trying to do us a favor

No, you're right. Apple benefits by gouging its customers so much that it can hand out OS's for free. I'm sure they weren't doing customers a favor by making Mavericks cost $0

The costs to consumers associated with extended warranties are very well documented. Your anecdotes are not proof or even evidence to the contrary.

And your generalizations do nothing to further your argument. Is Apple allowed to make a profit off of a product? Yes. Show me the math where Apple, not some other company, but Apple, is doing something financially harmful to customers by offering them Apple Care. I'm waiting....

IJ Reilly
Oct 24, 2013, 10:44 AM
You have really never purchased an Apple product in person have you?

Only dozens.

Your argument that we should volunteer to help Apple make a profit by purchasing poorly-valued products is patently absurd. You of course are more than welcomed to do so, but please don't tell anyone who understands the value proposition better than yourself that they should as well.

areyousure
Nov 6, 2013, 07:18 PM

Jesus.

Just so you know this practice no longer happens as I have recently found out. Apple has now done away with the option to add Applecare plus when you pay the service fee. I am guessing they did this because all of the knuckleheads that break their phones so often and get away with barely paying anything for them. I am sure most people actually think iPhones cost $199 because that is what they pay when you buy it with a contract. You idiots that think the $79 fee is too much to pay try paying $749 for a 32 gig 5s, then I am sure you will love the $79 fee. Also the $229 is no more,http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone (after accessing the link go to warranty and service pricing, then go to My iPhone is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?) The apple site says that the out of warranty service for the iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s is now $269.