Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today debuted a new "Space Gray" color for the iPhone 5s and has made the color available for the iPod touch, nano, and shuffle as well. In addition to their standard colors, each of these devices can be purchased in Space Gray, which replaces the existing black color.

spacegray.jpg
No pricing changes have been implemented, which means the 32GB iPod touch is $299, the 16GB iPod nano is $149, and the 2GB iPod shuffle is $49.

The small color update for existing iPod products indicates that Apple does not plan to further upgrade the devices with a spec bump in the near future. All of the newly-colored devices can be found on Apple's Online Store and will be available at brick and mortar locations beginning on September 20.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New 'Space Gray' Colors for iPod Touch, Nano, and Shuffle

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
I don't see the new color. Slate is still slate for iPod touch, iPod shuffle had a "graphite" version before... maybe they're replacing the old "black" with the new "space gray" but if so, they look nearly identical.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Great, this is what I get for getting my black ipod 2 months ago. No way I can return it right? :rolleyes:

I bet it is more difficult to nick and scratch. Ugh Apple, I hate you sometimes.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Dear Apple/Bono,

Please make a "Product (RED)" option in some other color besides the same old red, like maybe even a dark (15%) red (almost black/anything but red, pink, or purple) that I would actually want to buy to support a good charity. I like the idea of supporting a charity but loath the color red.

Please!!

Last edited:

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Those new color names feels like something from Android world. I always liked how Apple didn't use stupid names like "Blue Arctic", "Purple Mirage", "Red Aurora", "Space Gray" and instead it was Blue, Purple, Red, Gray.

They're doing wrong every single thing now. Apple feels like a Samsung clone.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Those new color names feels like something from Android world. I always liked how Apple didn't use stupid names like "Blue Arctic", "Purple Mirage", "Red Aurora", "Space Gray" and instead it was Blue, Purple, Red, Gray.

They're doing wrong every single thing now. Apple feels like a Samsung clone.

BMW has been using "Space Gray" since MY2007. I suspect that is who Apple is copying, not Samsung.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Dear Apple/Bono,

Please make a "Product (RED)" option in some other color besides the same old fugly red, like maybe even a dark (15%) red (almost black/anything but red, pink, or purple) that I would actually want to buy to support a good charity. I like the idea of supporting a charity but loath the color red.

Please!!

You could just donate money to your charity of choice, rather than buying an expensive new device to do it.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
I'm really REALLY curious as to WHY they changed the color.

Apparently the loop knob and rings around the camera and flash were also changed to silver. WHY?

Because the black paint on my iPod touch is going to scrape off? HMM APPLE?!?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Very disappointed they didn't update the iPods. I was really hoping for a 128GB iPod touch to finally replace my old iPod classic.

The iPod 5S has an A7 processor, the 5C has an A6 processor and the iPod touch has an A5 processor. I wonder if that is a sign of things to come with the iPod now last in line for internal upgrades.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
So odd not to see Apple even mention iPods in a September keynote. Is this the first time it's happened since iPods were introduced?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Dear Apple/Bono,

Please make a "Product (RED)" option in some other color besides the same old fugly red, like maybe even a dark (15%) red (almost black/anything but red, pink, or purple) that I would actually want to buy to support a good charity. I like the idea of supporting a charity but loath the color red.

Please!!

Words fail me......

tarrant

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009

They're doing wrong every single thing now.

Forgot Bondi Blue already? Well, maybe that was before your time.

Bring back Blue Dalmation and Flower Power! (Well, maybe not that one…)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.