Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegasryn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
All "it seems faster" jokes aside. SIRI is seeming to handle a query much faster than in the betas. Also, has anyone checked out the male voice? I'm going to stick with the female version I'm used to.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
All "it seems faster" jokes aside. SIRI is seeming to handle a query much faster than in the betas. Also, has anyone checked out the male voice? I'm going to stick with the female version I'm used to.

Siri is working better. The sounds are slightly different when Siri starts and responds to input.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
I'm currently on iOS 7 Beta 6 and noticed improvements in Siri week after week. When I downloaded it at first sounded robotic, now after a couple of weeks, it sounds more natural and refined .

P.S. I love the male voice.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Siri in iOS 7 GM is awesome, personally I switched to the male voice which I definitely prefer

BalutFX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I installed the GM yesterday, but noticed that Siri has old robotic voice. Was working fine on Beta 6. Anybody else having same problem or know how to get the newer improved voice working again? I am in US and have the female voice selected. I already tried switching between male and female and also reset all settings. I also setup as new phone (i.e. did not restore from backup).

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Performance seems the same in the UK as the Betas - which was pretty good anyway.

I think they might have tweaked the graphic slightly of the revolving ring whilst it's processing though.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
In the UK we still don't have High Quality Siri voice no matter what voice we select but i have noticed a subtle change in the tone that's played when you activate Siri :D

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
I installed the GM yesterday, but noticed that Siri has old robotic voice. Was working fine on Beta 6. Anybody else having same problem or know how to get the newer improved voice working again? I am in US and have the female voice selected. I already tried switching between male and female and also reset all settings. I also setup as new phone (i.e. did not restore from backup).

Leave your phone connected to power + wifi for a couple hours. it'll download the high quality voice in the background. Confirmed with my iPad mini having the same issue.

BalutFX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Leave your phone connected to power + wifi for a couple hours. it'll download the high quality voice in the background. Confirmed with my iPad mini having the same issue.

I did as suggested, but still do not notice any improvement to Siri's voice. I did however find the official Apple source document for your suggestion, incase anyone else was curious:

iOS: Understanding Siri and VoiceOver voices

akasch

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
I may be the only one, but Siri isn't understanding anything I say correctly; especially my contact names or I have to pronounce them weirdly (I didn't have to before). Maybe it takes her some time to get used to my voice?

(Note: I do not have an accent or anything like that. Plain old English)

Wormald

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
London
I've been having an issue that Siri freezes about half the time when it's activated from sleep - it doesn't show what I said, or say it couldn't hear anything, or respond - just hangs in the listening screen.

If I press the home button and summon Siri again it works fine.

I've shrugged it off as a beta thing till now, but surprised it's being dodgy in the GM.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
I know this will sound silly, but is there a way to force Siri to continue using the more robotic voice?

I see on that Apple support page you can force Voiceover to use the "compact" robotic voice, but no similar option for Siri.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
I may be the only one, but Siri isn't understanding anything I say correctly; especially my contact names or I have to pronounce them weirdly (I didn't have to before). Maybe it takes her some time to get used to my voice?

(Note: I do not have an accent or anything like that. Plain old English)

Activate Siri and say "pronounce (name)" and see if you can train it.

Ethere

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Central PA
I'm not on the GM, and I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but a quick question. When I had my Windows 8 phone, if I was connected to my car bluetooth and received a text message, a voice would come over saying "New message from so and so. Read it?" I know Siri on iOS 6 doesn't automatically read new text messages that come in while I'm on bluetooth, but was hoping this would be a good feature to be added in iOS 7. Has this happened, or does Siri have the same features and functions?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Siri wont DL the new voice for me on GM. Stuck w compact voice. Annoying.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
This is completely false information. Only if you can back it up will it be believable. HD voices are not available in the UK yet anyway!

um. I don't need to back it up, it happened to me personally, it's on apples website, as posted in this thread, AND it's all over apples support forums as well. Not my fault you're too lazy to look it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.