Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The flagship feature of the iPhone 5s is the new Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and we're beginning to get a better idea of how it works.

touchid.jpg
It appears Apple has designed Touch ID to be faster than entering a four-digit passcode, stating in its marketing materials that using Touch ID is "faster, easier, and even a little futuristic". It will allow users to store up to five fingerprints, allowing other trusted users access to a locked phone.
Put your finger on the Home button, and just like that your iPhone unlocks. It's a convenient and highly secure way to access your phone. Your fingerprint can also approve purchases from iTunes Store, the App Store, and the iBooks Store, so you don't have to enter your password. And Touch ID is capable of 360-degree readability. Which means no matter what its orientation -- portrait, landscape, or anything in between -- your iPhone reads your fingerprint and knows who you are.
Financial Times reporter Tim Bradshaw shared this video showing how the iPhone learns a fingerprint by scanning a finger a half-dozen times.

TechCrunch wrote that once a fingerprint was successfully learned, "it worked flawlessly to unlock the device for every subsequent trial."

Also, AllThingsD reports that third-party developers will not get access to the fingerprint authentication protocol, at least not initially.

The iPhone 5s will cost $199, $299, and $399 for the 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB models respectively with a 2-year contract. Non-contract, unlocked devices will be available at launch for $649/$749/$849.

The iPhone 5s and the lower-cost iPhone 5c -- which does not have Touch ID -- will be available in stores in the US, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore, and the UK starting on September 20.

Notably, there will be no preorders for the iPhone 5s.

Article Link: More Details on How the Touch ID Fingerprint Sensor Works

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I for one love the sensor, I love the whole 5S, seems like people are haters on it. What did you expect? It's pretty darn cool!

Last edited:

cwpics

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
I for one love the sensor, I love the whole 5S, seems like people are haters on it. What did you expect? It's pretty darn cool!

Agree 100% - looking forward to getting my hands on to see how compares to 4s and my other half's 5

Last edited:

copete

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Has anyone heard if it will work just as well if someone uses their thumb? That would make it more convenient.

Oldschoolers

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
North Carolina
I love the sensor! I hope that it can stand up to the wear and tear of everyday life. My iPhone 5 home button is always smeared with what ever food is on my littles one's hands.

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Has anyone heard if it will work just as well if someone uses their thumb? That would make it more convenient.

It seems to be designed for thumb. Go to you tube and look for iPhone 5s hands on. There's demo videos already

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I love the sensor! I hope that it can stand up to the wear and tear of everyday life. My iPhone 5 home button is always smeared with what ever food is on my littles one's hands.
This man speaks the truth. I have two kids and I have absolutely no idea what is on their hands but they play with my phone and there is a layer of goop on the phone even if I make them wash their hands BEFORE playing with it. Wizards I tell you. Dirt wizards.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
It seems to be designed for thumb. Go to you tube and look for iPhone 5s hands on. There's demo videos already

In the keynote it was mentioned that you could use multiple fingers. You could have the thumb and another finger (at least one other).

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
If somebody chops off your finger, can they use it to unlock your iPhone? :eek:

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
If someone chops off your finger, I think you have a bigger problem than your phone.

I beg to differ. Why wouldn't a thief take your finger along with your iPhone? If you think otherwise, you haven't done much traveling.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Great invention for countries like Brazil. Now when you get robbed they won’t take just your iPhone. They will chop your finger and take it to.:eek:

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Great invention for countries like Brazil. Now when you get robbed they won’t take just your iPhone. They will chop your finger and take it to.:eek:

Yeah - and China, Africa, Latin America, Eastern Europe, Russia, South East Asia, US/EU cities -- just about everywhere actually -- except for maybe rural Europe and North America, and Japan.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
No the sensor detects pulse and temperature.

I hope it detects pulse and temperature!! Otherwise this might actually stop me from buying it. The NSA probably already has my fingerprints from the numerous times I've gone through immigration at JFK, so that can't be much of a concern.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
If someone chops off your finger, I think you have a bigger problem than your phone.

The potential problem is that for a thief to access - and sell - the phone, they require your finger. So now they'll need more than just your phone!

I doubt this would ever happen but in theory…

Also, if Apple's touch ID works well, other companies will be implementing it in everything - computers, cars, doors… And then your finger will become a very desirable object for thieves.

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Oh Apple, why would you blunder so? Fingerprints are not passwords, let alone the perfect password. Touch ID -- identification -- yes, fantastic. Authentication? No. Everything you touch now has your "secret" password on it, and it bears mentioning that changing such a password is... difficult.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
The potential problem is that for a thief to access - and sell - the phone, they require your finger. So now they'll need more than just your phone!

I doubt this would ever happen but in theory…

Also, if Apple's touch ID works well, other companies will be implementing it in everything - computers, cars, doors… And then your finger will become a very desirable object for thieves.

Yeah - why are implementing something so potentially risky? You mention you doubt it will ever happen - that's naive - it can and will happen in many places around the world. A finger is nothing! They mug people for kidneys everywhere - even places like Manchester, UK - they wouldn't even think twice about taking someone's finger.

Furthermore if they do implement it in cars, house doors, etc. - people are going to be getting their fingers stolen all over the place in all countries. This is crazy. I guess we'll just have to thank our lucky stars they're not implementing retina scanners.

lusky

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
Yeah - why are implementing something so potentially risky? You mention you doubt it will ever happen - that's naive - it can and will happen in many places around the world. A finger is nothing! They mug people for kidneys everywhere - even places like Manchester, UK - they wouldn't even think twice about taking someone's finger.

Furthermore if they do implement it in cars, house doors, etc. - people are going to be getting their fingers stolen all over the place in all countries. This is crazy. I guess we'll just have to thank our lucky stars they're not implementing retina scanners.

Dear god as someone has all ready said, it detects temperature and plus, a severed finger or a print of your print is no use. stop panicking.

PS have you finished building your underground bomb shelter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.