PDA

View Full Version : Well now that the 5S has been announced, which device are you likely to get?

WhiteIphone5
Sep 10, 2013, 08:34 PM
Which of the three would you buy?
i created a similar poll, but now i want to add the Note 3. I plan on purchasing my phone this month around the 20th

Cnasty
Sep 10, 2013, 08:38 PM
Sticking with the Android family and pre-ordered a Note 3 the moment I could.

Jessica Lares
Sep 10, 2013, 08:47 PM
I already switched from Android. As soon as my contract is up in the next few months, I'm going with the 5S.

The Game 161
Sep 10, 2013, 08:53 PM
already switched with android but going from S4 to note 3 instead. Apple are going backwards with their product it seems. Very unimpressive announcement as expected.

mackinmike
Sep 10, 2013, 08:54 PM
galaxy note for sure. i watched this video and i'm sold. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fo5x7ZIPCM

ip5s just looks like the same thing as always. sad.

tbayrgs
Sep 10, 2013, 09:02 PM
None of the above. I have use an HTC One, may try a Moto X and will likely get the new Nexus phone if the mystery device passing through the FCC is truly the new phone.

Sven11
Sep 10, 2013, 09:08 PM
Galaxy S4. The 5.7 inch Note 3 phablet is just too big while the 4.99 inch S4 is still considered a phone. (Wikipedia says a phablet has at least 5 inch and not 4.99 :D) I waited to see the 5S keynote in order to be 100% sure that I gonna switch. And since it was a great disappointment I say Bye iPhone, Hello Galaxy.

Why are there only 3 options in the poll? :confused:

xchampx13
Sep 10, 2013, 09:27 PM
Staying with my GS4 :)

Stooby Mcdoobie
Sep 10, 2013, 09:37 PM
None of the above. I have use an HTC One, may try a Moto X and will likely get the new Nexus phone if the mystery device passing through the FCC is truly the new phone.

I just did the opposite. Had a Moto X the last week and a half, but ultimately decided it wasn't the right phone for me. Took it back today and picked up an HTC One. Did the Google Play Edition conversion and, minus the odd button placement, it feels like I'm using a Nexus device again. Feels good to have stock Android and LTE with tethering again.

TacticalDesire
Sep 10, 2013, 09:38 PM
Sticking with my Nexus 4. Currently happy with it so I have no problems waiting until the next nexus which I will most likely get.

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 09:41 PM
Your poll does not match your thread topic question.

To answer the question: sticking to Android. Easy decision. Absurdly easy.

To answer the poll: of the three, I'd pick the Note 3. (The real phone I'm going to get this year, if any, is likely the Nexus 5 or the GPE Xperia Z1 if it comes to fruition)

gotluck
Sep 10, 2013, 10:00 PM
GE S4! Though I may have some buyers remorse with the upcoming Nexus 5, or potential GE xperia Z1 / unlikely GE G2

http://i.imgur.com/CzgW55g.png&w=600&h=200&ei=d9wvUoO5EI_y8ATzlYDIBg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:6,s:0,i:99&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=113&tbnw=340&start=0&ndsp=29&tx=134&ty=66
Just playing :p

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 10:01 PM
GE S4! Though I may have some buyers remorse with the upcoming Nexus 5, or potential GE xperia Z1 / unlikely GE G2

Image (http://i.imgur.com/CzgW55g.png&w=600&h=200&ei=d9wvUoO5EI_y8ATzlYDIBg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:6,s:0,i:99&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=113&tbnw=340&start=0&ndsp=29&tx=134&ty=66)
Just playing :p

Where do Nova Launcher users go? :) Peasants in disguise?

gotluck
Sep 10, 2013, 10:03 PM
Where do Nova Launcher users go? :) Peasants in disguise?

They are on the path to enlightenment :D

tbayrgs
Sep 10, 2013, 10:07 PM

To answer the poll: of the three, I'd pick the Note 3. (The real phone I'm going to get this year, if any, is likely the Nexus 5 or the GPE Xperia Z1 if it comes to fruition)

Did you see this article (http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-xperia-z1-mini-leaks-image-next-its-larger-sibling) over at AC?

That Z1 mini looks ridiculously thin--and if it still has the Snapdragon 800 and 20.7 mp camera? Pretty impressive looking device.

Hastings101
Sep 10, 2013, 10:09 PM
Galaxy Note 3, the 5S screen is just too small still.

Assault
Sep 10, 2013, 10:09 PM

This. Absurdly so!

I'm not sure why Apple bothered to even have an event for the 5S. So they could say, "The most amazing iPhone yet! Exactly the same as the 5, the 4S and 4, but... it has a fingerprint scanner! And a new color!" Magical. :rolleyes: "And it will only cost you $799 for our leftover cra... I mean new iPhone."

And def Nexus 5. I'm loving the Nexus 4.

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 10:11 PM
Did you see this article (http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-xperia-z1-mini-leaks-image-next-its-larger-sibling) over at AC?

That Z1 mini looks ridiculously thin--and if it still has the Snapdragon 800 and 20.7 mp camera? Pretty impressive looking device.

Yes, yes I did. And yes, yes it does.

I don't foresee a GPE of this fella, though. Its big brother has more of a shot at a GPE.

Regardless, my first hope is that the Nexus 5 this year plays out to everything I am hoping it to be. C'mon, Google.

tbayrgs
Sep 10, 2013, 10:36 PM
Yes, yes I did. And yes, yes it does.

I don't foresee a GPE of this fella, though. Its big brother has more of a shot at a GPE.

Regardless, my first hope is that the Nexus 5 this year plays out to everything I am hoping it to be. C'mon, Google.

Yeah, well, I honestly don't foresee a GPE of the Z1 either, doesn't seem to be any buzz for it.

Regardless, lots of interesting Android devices, both now and in the near future.

rhinosrcool
Sep 10, 2013, 10:36 PM
Going with the Galaxy Note 3. Wow, Apple:( The 12 yr old girl's birthday party is over:cool: Seriously, did Ive come up with those ridiculous color circles? :eek:

linkgx1
Sep 10, 2013, 10:39 PM
More than likely a Note 3 unless the Xperia really does a number on me. I'm not buying another iPhone until it makes a really big change...which I think they will get there with the 6 hopefully.

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 10:40 PM
Yeah, well, I honestly don't foresee a GPE of the Z1 either, doesn't seem to be any buzz for it.

Yeah, me too. :T

ChazUK
Sep 10, 2013, 10:43 PM
Sticking to my stock HTC One and checking out the next Nexus when it hits.

If there isn't much on the new nexus I can see myself sticking to the One for the foreseeable future. Hoping for a quick kit kat roll out to the GPE S4/One

mKTank
Sep 10, 2013, 10:53 PM
HTC One.

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 10:58 PM
Sticking to my stock HTC One and checking out the next Nexus when it hits.

If there isn't much on the new nexus I can see myself sticking to the One for the foreseeable future. Hoping for a quick kit kat roll out to the GPE S4/One

HTC One.

Y'all using Swipe Home for your One? Depending on how you feel about gestures, it significantly upgrades the One. :)

Free trial for 7 days, 99 cents after that.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthewma.swipehomebuttonfree

Fernandez21
Sep 10, 2013, 11:03 PM
I'm getting both the iPhone 5S and Note 3. There's no way I could pick just one, both have so many great things and features.

The Game 161
Sep 10, 2013, 11:06 PM
I'm getting both the iPhone 5S and Note 3. There's no way I could pick just one, both have so many great things and features.

why get the 5S if you have the iphone 5 though?

dkersten
Sep 10, 2013, 11:11 PM
Looking to switch over to AT&T because I'm sick of Verizon screwing up almost every phone launch. I was looking at the 5C but the price drove me away. Now considering the 5S, Moto X, and HTC One/One Mini. And I'll definitely pick up a Nexus 5/4 (2013).

Got quite the decision ahead of me.

Fernandez21
Sep 10, 2013, 11:16 PM

Couple of reasons. I have the 16GB version, I would like to get at least the 32GB as I have no more room for apps. The extra performance and actually the finger print sensor. I use my iPhone as my work phone (the Note 3 will be my personal phone) with a lot of sensitive information. Right now I have a code to unlock and every app with company info also has a passcode. The finger print sensor will make accessing the phone and those apps much easier for me while making it more secure. Plus I'm getting $350 for my iPhone 5 which will cover my upgrade fully, so why not?

jrswizzle
Sep 10, 2013, 11:26 PM
Looking forward to having an iPhone again. The 5S seems like a nice upgrade even from the 5 and despite all the freedom and choice I have on my GS4, I'm just simply more of an iOS guy.

And to be honest, as pretty as this big GS4 display is, I'm getting pretty sick of accidental palm touches making it nearly impossible to use this thing one handed unless I'm holding it a certain way. Here's to hoping Apple figures that out before they go with the larger screen size.

I'll still use both and am definitely watching what Google will do with the nexus 5. The one thing apple did to disappoint me was price the 5C where they did. I think it sets up will for three introduction of a larger iPhone next year, but I was looking forward to picking one up as a test phone/backup.

Frankied22
Sep 10, 2013, 11:26 PM
The next nexus

The Game 161
Sep 10, 2013, 11:28 PM
Couple of reasons. I have the 16GB version, I would like to get at least the 32GB as I have no more room for apps. The extra performance and actually the finger print sensor. I use my iPhone as my work phone (the Note 3 will be my personal phone) with a lot of sensitive information. Right now I have a code to unlock and every app with company info also has a passcode. The finger print sensor will make accessing the phone and those apps much easier for me while making it more secure. Plus I'm getting $350 for my iPhone 5 which will cover my upgrade fully, so why not?

Thats a big reason why I'm moving from S4 to note 3 in fairness.

MeUnix
Sep 10, 2013, 11:38 PM
This. Absurdly so!

I'm not sure why Apple bothered to even have an event for the 5S. So they could say, "The most amazing iPhone yet! Exactly the same as the 5, the 4S and 4, but... it has a fingerprint scanner! And a new color!" Magical. :rolleyes: "And it will only cost you $799 for our leftover cra... I mean new iPhone."

And def Nexus 5. I'm loving the Nexus 4.

Exactly the same? You should actually watch the event so you learn that the phones aren't "exactly" the same.

jrswizzle
Sep 10, 2013, 11:48 PM
Exactly the same? You should actually watch the event so you learn that the phones aren't "exactly" the same.

Learn to ignore mate. The dude constantly badges apple and rarely ever makes any sense.

MeUnix
Sep 11, 2013, 12:12 AM
Learn to ignore mate. The dude constantly badges apple and rarely ever makes any sense.

Will do. I just can't stand when people troll and say the dumbest things on here; I let it get the best of me this time haha.

F123D
Sep 11, 2013, 12:38 AM
Pre-ordered the Note 3 and sticking with it.

JackieInCo
Sep 11, 2013, 12:39 AM
Nexus 5.

Arni99
Sep 11, 2013, 12:41 AM
Lumia 1020

Why?
- 4 times larger camera sensor http://sdrv.ms/14E9C97
iPhone 5: 15mm≤
Galaxy S4: 16mm≤
iPhone 5s: 17mm≤
Lumia 1020: 58mm≤
Nokia 808: 85mm≤
DSLR with APS-C sensor: 332mm≤
- optical image stabilisation
- stereo microphones with up to 140dB sound pressure level
- free worldwide navigation

matttye
Sep 11, 2013, 12:49 AM
Sticking with my iPhone 5, the 5S is not a big enough upgrade for me.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 11, 2013, 12:52 AM
Sticking with S4 for now. Might possibility get the Note 3. Curious to see what Apple has in store for the iPhone 6. Not interested in the 5S at all.

onthecouchagain
Sep 11, 2013, 01:29 AM
Though this is said relentlessly by Apple apologists, next year truly will be an interesting year for the iPhone what with the likely redesign and all. Will they finally go with a larger device? I have to believe so. And where then will iOS 8 go?

Also worthy considering: by then where will the competition be? Which is almost the same as asking, by then how far ahead will the competition be?

matttye
Sep 11, 2013, 01:37 AM
Though this is said relentlessly by Apple apologists, next year truly will be an interesting year for the iPhone what with the likely redesign and all. Will they finally go with a larger device? I have to believe so. And where then will iOS 8 go?

Also worthy considering: by then where will the competition be? Which is almost the same as asking, by then how far ahead will the competition be?

It's not the same as asking how far ahead will the competition be, as that is subjective.

Although on paper my Galaxy S3 was worlds ahead of my iPhone 5, I find the iPhone 5 to be the better experience. The battery is smaller, but lasts longer. It only has a dual core processor, but the OS is a lot smoother and tasks are completed much faster. Bluetooth is less powerful, but it connects to my device in my car every time without fail, whereas I often had to restart my S3.

Some things about the iPhone are really frustrating too. I'm not suggesting it's better at everything. For example, the other day I had to e-mail a load of Pages documents to my work computer so I could print them off, but I had to do them one at a time because Pages for iOS doesn't let you send multiple documents at a time.

All in all though, I find the iOS experience much more appealing. I find that Apple puts more thought into the OS and how it will work, than some of the Android manufacturers (namely Samsung), who throw a plethora of features together and see what sticks.

Maybe I should try a Nexus.. I prefer the "clean" experiences.

adder7712
Sep 11, 2013, 01:39 AM
If I'm getting a new phone I'll get the Note 3.

appledes7
Sep 11, 2013, 01:49 AM
This list is missing so many great phones: Xperia Z1, LG G2, HTC One, Nexus 4, upcoming Nexus 5, Moto X, etc.

kramjam
Sep 11, 2013, 02:10 AM
The Galaxy Note 3 is incredibly tempting. I definitely need expandable storage, so I don't know how the Nexus 5 would work for me assuming it didn't come with a 64GB option (Screw non-unlimited data plans). I would eventually like to remove the look of TouchWiz if I did end up with the Note, as I do find stock Android really beautiful - unless the S Pen really changes my feelings about the UI.

tekno
Sep 11, 2013, 02:13 AM
I was very sceptical about the fingerprint sensor, but seeing it work, I think it's very nice. Very, very nice.

However, I just can't ignore the iPhone's smaller screen and iOS's walled ecosystem that just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Plus they still insist on having a physical mute button which is a real no-no for me.

I'm sticking with the GS4 and looking forward to the new Nexus phone. I'll reconsider iPhone in another 12 long months.

Technarchy
Sep 11, 2013, 02:29 AM
Looking forward to having an iPhone again. The 5S seems like a nice upgrade even from the 5 and despite all the freedom and choice I have on my GS4, I'm just simply more of an iOS guy.

GS4 is nice. I like it but don't love it. I'm giving the 5S great consideration, but as of right now don't have any intention on dumping my GS4 yet.

Though overall I prefer iOS, I like Swype, dual screen mode, and the big display of the GS4 quite a lot.

Shanghaichica
Sep 11, 2013, 02:39 AM
I'll be keeping my S4. Nothing exciting about the 5S for me. The note 3 interests me more. Maybe I'll go back to iOS when the iPhone 6 comes out.

MacRumorUser
Sep 11, 2013, 03:04 AM
I actually think the 5C and 5S are great phones for folks who haven't had every other revision of the iPhone.

As someone who has they were exactly as I expected them to be. Not disappointing as much as underwhelming. The A7 chip looks great though so I'll likely still pick up an iPad mini with retina for that.

Phone wise however I have to say I'm likely to get the Note 3. This year it offers me more of what I want.

The pen features this year actually look really good and smart covers and wireless charging bolster that.

Next year with a 5 inch iPhone - come back to me then.

----------

GS4 is nice. I like it but don't love it. I'm giving the 5S great consideration, but as of right now don't have any intention on dumping my GS4 yet.

Though overall I prefer iOS, I like Swype, dual screen mode, and the big display of the GS4 quite a lot.

Yeah I feel the same way about the S4. I like it but I definitely do not love it. Its like a member of the family I tolerate because they are good at some things and are handy to have round, but wouldn't be too upset if they emigrated and I never saw them again.... ;)

jeffe
Sep 11, 2013, 03:26 AM
I'm using a GS4 right now and am waiting to see what the next Nexus is like.

I like the GS4 but I think you need to definitely know what you're doing to set it up right for yourself in order to have the best possible experience.

Oohara
Sep 11, 2013, 04:10 AM
Note 3. I just can't pass up what that phone has to offer.

The Note 2 has been a wonderful experience so far and has totally redefined just how useful a smartphone can be for me, for pleasure as well as actual work tasks. And the Note 3 promises even more - incredible.

For the 5S, the only thing I'm really interested in is the camera. I'm also a teeny bit curious to test iOS 7, but luckily I still have my old 4S around so I can give that a spin before giving the phone to my mother :)

clientsiman
Sep 11, 2013, 04:28 AM
Waiting for the Nexus 5 and Kit Kat to be announced first. I also like Xiaomi Mi3 and LG G2 . Sadly Oppo Find 7 will ship next year.

I definitely want my new phone to run CM well or to be stock android.

bmac4
Sep 11, 2013, 06:31 AM
To answer the question I am waiting on the nexus 5. I am using the nexus 4 right now, and just can not do without stock android. I have an iP5, and when iOS 7 rolls out next week I will see what it has to offer.

With that said I can't believe all these tech blogs are claiming the 5S is the best phone now. These morons have not even used the phone yet. Like Couch said it another thread if you look on paper the iPhone 5S does not come close to any of the flagships from android. Again this is not done on paper, and I know the 5S will be really fast. But what makes it so much different than the 5 that makes it the best phone on the market? It still does not have a screen that will complete with the One or S4. Still got the small screen. Yes they added a finger print scanner, but that is really not a big deal at all. Sure it is great for people that use the phone for business and want to bypass typing in a code, but for people using it as a personal phone. I cant see a finger print scanner as something that helps it be claimed as the best phone.

scott craft
Sep 11, 2013, 06:51 AM
I'm leaning towards the LG G2. My wife has the Note 2 and I really like it and I've thought about getting the Note 3, but there are times when the size would be a detriment.

lsutigerfan1976
Sep 11, 2013, 06:53 AM
You should change the poll to add other android devices, or just keep it generic and say apple or android. Anyhow, i have an htc one so i am sticking with the htc one. Not impressed by Apple anymore. The new iphone basically is the old iphone with a fingerprint scanner.

Tsuchiya
Sep 11, 2013, 07:01 AM
Why no Xperia Z1?

It's technically better than the S4, and the glass and aluminium finish puts it up there with the HTC in terms of build quality.

http://drop.ndtv.com/TECH/product_database/images/94201383907PM_635_sony-xperia-z1.jpeg

Eth123
Sep 11, 2013, 07:34 AM
Agree. The Z1 gets my vote if not an iPhone. The Samsungs belong to a different market i.e those obsessed with clock speed and ram. Iphone buyers and Z1 buyers want a "designer" phone to go with their expensive clothes and cars.

Savor
Sep 11, 2013, 07:36 AM
None of the above

HTC One + Nexus One (backup) for life.

I got two phones I have NEVER even seen anyone use in public. I love the metal on both. I love the "One" names. I love HTC's build quality and comfortable ergonomics. I'm not into popular phones like iPhones or Samsung Galaxies.

Honestly if Nexus 5 was an option, I might actually pick that one. Not a mainstream phone for me. I like owning phones that not everybody has.

But if I had to choose the ones listed above, I say NOTE 3, S4, and 5s in that order. Not surpised 5s is winning. This is an Apple site.

Sodner
Sep 11, 2013, 07:41 AM
Sticking with Apple and getting the 5S.

Curious though, is the screen size the #1 complaint here? IF the new iPhone was the exact same as the 5S but had a 4.5 inch screen. Then what?

JackieInCo
Sep 11, 2013, 07:46 AM

Curious though, is the screen size the #1 complaint here? IF the new iPhone was the exact same as the 5S but had a 4.5 inch screen. Then what?

It still requires a contract to buy at the subsidized price or pay a huge amount to buy it off contract/unlocked.

Since moving to T-Mobile back in February and getting a Nexus 4, I'm all about no contracts now. Why pay $600-700 for an iPhone when I can get a Nexus for half that.

Wide opeN
Sep 11, 2013, 07:59 AM
galaxy note for sure. i watched this video and i'm sold. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fo5x7ZIPCM

Yep, they're almost begging for customers to stay at this point, instead of creating something new.

Tim Cook, with all the "features for features sake" commentary, it was a joke!!!

----------

Staying with my GS4 :)

This, or maybe the note 3, it's sooo sexy!!!

----------

Y'all using Swipe Home for your One? Depending on how you feel about gestures, it significantly upgrades the One. :)

See, stuff like this is the reason iPhone has been in the mirror since, 2012 :D

bnnentertainmen
Sep 11, 2013, 08:13 AM
nah i'm just gonna stick to android, waiting for my note 3:D, it' gonna be one hell of a phone

jojoba
Sep 11, 2013, 08:35 AM
I got a Nexus last year and will be keeping that for a while - the only reason why I sometimes feel like upgrading is a better camera, but I do most of my real photography with a proper camera anyway. I like the camera on the 5S, but the screen on iPhones is too small for me and I hate the stock keyboard - SwiftKey on android is a thousand times better.

AppleRobert
Sep 11, 2013, 08:40 AM
Sticking with HTC One. Never doubted the 5S would be a big bore and I figured the screen size would not be to my liking to begin with.

skratch77
Sep 11, 2013, 08:54 AM
Shouldn't this pole be gs4/note3 vs 5s and only 2 options?

Its making the iPhone look better in votes while people are picking Samsung over it.

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 09:07 AM
I have a quick question I'd love to see how many of you answer.

A big knock on Apple is their lack of forward thinking features. Let's ignore the fact that Apple gave us two HUGELY useful upgrades with the camera features and the fingerprint sensor (not mind blowing or innovative, but EXTREMELY USEFUL).

I'll use Samsung as an example because they are blowing every other Android maker's doors off - Samsung is lauded for "innovative" technologies like Air Gestures and Smart Stay and all the other "Air" and "Smart" features that, to quote one of my favorite posters here "put the SMART in smartphone".

YET....

Apple is the FIRST to release a smartphone built on a 64-bit chip architecture, and the talk is still "what a pathetic release" and "more of the same" yadda yadda yadda.

It's funny, I've seen many, who were quick to praise Samsung for the above mentioned "innovations", question why a 64-bit chip is necessary in the new iPhone 5S. "What does it matter?" they asked. "How does this help?" Apple makes a leap forward to get AHEAD of the game (and mind you, smartphone chips will be moving to 64-bit, its only natural as they begin to replace desktops), while offering an impressive 2X CPU and GPU increase (most analysts predicted a modest 30% bump) and the response?

"Ehh the iPhone was fast enough" or people ignore the announcement entirely and make the standard "A fingerprint sensor and spec bumps are it?".

My question then: WHY, when releasing a technology AHEAD of everyone else, does APPLE get the raw end and SAMSUNG is praised? Arguably, a 64-bit architecture is INFINITELY more useful than the Smart and Air features (100% of which I have disabled on my GS4).

Apple releases phones with features that are USEFUL. Every so often, they revolutionize some industry with an innovative product (the iPhone, the iPad, potentially the iWatch) - but their bread and butter is REFINEMENT. I can tell you right now, being an equal user of the GS4 and iPhone 5 (and soon the 5S), I am INFINITELY more excited about the THREE things Apple announced in the 5S, than ALL the various Samsung features baked into the GS4.

WHY?

Because I am 100% certain, the fingerprint sensor, the camera improvements and the 64-bit chip will work 100% of the time, and are USEFUL to me (taking photos is one of my main uses of my smartphones and being able to bypass entering my passcode to unlock or passwords to make purchases is SUPER convenient).

Conversely, as I mentioned, I've disabled 100% of those Samsung features, not even because they aren't useful to me BUT because THEY RARELY WORK. Honestly, I'd like keep a few of them enabled for the "cool" factor because it'd be neat to show off, even if not terribly useful in my everyday use. Problem is, I could never get them to reliably work.

Anyways - would love to see some well constructed arguments/answers to this post.

Prototypical
Sep 11, 2013, 09:12 AM

You know the Android masses would still find something to crucify it over. Complimenting an iOS device is akin to surrendering.

But seriously - I wasn't bowled over by the 5S but I'm still intrigued. Coming from a 4S, the 5S is still a significant jump forward (bigger screen, exponentially faster, fingerprint sensor, etc). And I'm more invested in the Apple ecosystem than I ever was in the Android ecosystem.

That said - If I jump ship, Samsung would be the last place I'll go. I don't care for their marketing tactics, their gimmicks, or their attitude. I probably would have gone Nokia but now I'm not comfortable with where the hardware is going. The fact that I'm on Verizon makes the choice even harder, as all they seem to carry is Same-sung and the childish Droid line.

The HTC One or next Nexus, I guess?

Cnasty
Sep 11, 2013, 09:14 AM
Sony really needs to work on the look of that phone.

it seems so much space is wasted on those bezels and bottom area that it makes it look and feel larger than necessary.

They trim that up and make the screen more appealing and it can be a contender.

gotluck
Sep 11, 2013, 09:15 AM
I Dont use the gs4 motion features either as they Dont exist on the Google edition of the device. I just Dont see any compelling reasons to choose the 5S unless you prefer iOS ecosystem or a smaller device. I'd rather have the IR blaster, nfc and SD card than 64 bit. The fingerprint scanner is useful and will be better when it has third party APIs. 5s is for people that want a small flagship as there isn't much competition at that size.

tbayrgs
Sep 11, 2013, 10:17 AM

A big knock on Apple is their lack of forward thinking features. Let's ignore the fact that Apple gave us two HUGELY useful upgrades with the camera features and the fingerprint sensor (not mind blowing or innovative, but EXTREMELY USEFUL).

I'll use Samsung as an example because they are blowing every other Android maker's doors off - Samsung is lauded for "innovative" technologies like Air Gestures and Smart Stay and all the other "Air" and "Smart" features that, to quote one of my favorite posters here "put the SMART in smartphone".

YET....

Apple is the FIRST to release a smartphone built on a 64-bit chip architecture, and the talk is still "what a pathetic release" and "more of the same" yadda yadda yadda.

It's funny, I've seen many, who were quick to praise Samsung for the above mentioned "innovations", question why a 64-bit chip is necessary in the new iPhone 5S. "What does it matter?" they asked. "How does this help?" Apple makes a leap forward to get AHEAD of the game (and mind you, smartphone chips will be moving to 64-bit, its only natural as they begin to replace desktops), while offering an impressive 2X CPU and GPU increase (most analysts predicted a modest 30% bump) and the response?

"Ehh the iPhone was fast enough" or people ignore the announcement entirely and make the standard "A fingerprint sensor and spec bumps are it?".

My question then: WHY, when releasing a technology AHEAD of everyone else, does APPLE get the raw end and SAMSUNG is praised? Arguably, a 64-bit architecture is INFINITELY more useful than the Smart and Air features (100% of which I have disabled on my GS4).

Apple releases phones with features that are USEFUL. Every so often, they revolutionize some industry with an innovative product (the iPhone, the iPad, potentially the iWatch) - but their bread and butter is REFINEMENT. I can tell you right now, being an equal user of the GS4 and iPhone 5 (and soon the 5S), I am INFINITELY more excited about the THREE things Apple announced in the 5S, than ALL the various Samsung features baked into the GS4.

WHY?

Because I am 100% certain, the fingerprint sensor, the camera improvements and the 64-bit chip will work 100% of the time, and are USEFUL to me (taking photos is one of my main uses of my smartphones and being able to bypass entering my passcode to unlock or passwords to make purchases is SUPER convenient).

Conversely, as I mentioned, I've disabled 100% of those Samsung features, not even because they aren't useful to me BUT because THEY RARELY WORK. Honestly, I'd like keep a few of them enabled for the "cool" factor because it'd be neat to show off, even if not terribly useful in my everyday use. Problem is, I could never get them to reliably work.

Anyways - would love to see some well constructed arguments/answers to this post.

Well, I can only respond to a small part of your inquiry. I'm not a fan of most of Samsung's devices as I generally don't like their design (hardware or software) and similarly dislike their recent philosophy of 'let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.' They also seem to forgoe refinement for pure horsepower. I will admit though that their recent Note offerings seem to reverse this trend a bit.

I also do have a huge problem with the iPhone, per se. I continue to like Apple's design style and think Apple is still the best at offering refined, beautiful devices. They are also the best at getting the most from their hardware. As many are very quick to point out, on paper the iPhone is a middleweight amongst heavyweights, yet continues to offer arguably the quickest, smoothest user experience. My only real problem is with the hardware is display size, but that is my preference. I think Apple could still offer a pretty small device yet provide a larger display--look at what Motorola was able to do with the X.

I have no idea what benefits 64bit processing provides so I can only go off what others more knowledgeable in this area offer and for the most part it seems the benefits are lost on a phone, at least now. Yes, it may be forward thinking but what's the benefit now? It's like an auto manufacturer claiming they've developed this revolutionary new engine that will offer extraordinary speed when it runs on rocket fuel, yet there's a low speed limit and nobody sells rocket fuel yet.

My disappointment stems primarily from the software side, and yesterday's offering did nothing to resolve those issues. I guess I seek more from the OS on my phone than most Apple consumers require on theirs and that's fine--everyone should get what works best for them. What I'm noticing though is more and more people now are starting to feel like I do. Apparently, not enough to change Apple's thinking regarding the iPhone, but if this pattern continues, it may.

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 10:29 AM
Well, I can only respond to a small part of your inquiry. I'm not a fan of most of Samsung's devices as I generally don't like their design (hardware or software) and similarly dislike their recent philosophy of 'let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.' They also seem to forgoe refinement for pure horsepower. I will admit though that there recent Note offerings seem to reverse this trend a bit.

I also do have a huge problem with the iPhone, per se. I continue to like Apples design style and think Apple is still the best at offering refined, beautiful devices. They are also the best at getting the most from their hardware. As many are very quick to point out, on paper the iPhone is a middleweight amongst heavyweights, yet continues to offer arguably the quickest, smoothest user experience. My only real problem is with the hardware is display size, but that is my preference. I think Apple could still offer a pretty small device yet provide a larger display--look at what Motorola was able to do with the X.

I have no idea what benefits 64bit processing provides so I can only go off what others more knowledgeable in this area offer and for the most part it seems the benefits are lost on a phone, at least now. Yes, it may be forward thinking but what's the benefit now? It's like an auto manufacturer claiming they've developed this revolutionary new engine that will offer extraordinary speed when it runs on rocket fuel, yet there's a low speed limit and nobody sells rocket fuel yet.

My disappointment stems primarily from the software side, and yesterday's offering did nothing to resolve those issues. I guess I seek more from the OS on my phone than most Apple consumers require on theirs and that's fine--everyone should get what works best for them. What I'm noticing though is more and more people now are starting to feel like I do. Apparently, not enough to change Apple's thinking regarding the iPhone, but if this pattern continues, it may.

On the 64-bit part....

I agree completely. I'm not trying to make a case that 64-bit processors are necessary, only that I find it ironic that Apple is lambasted for forward thinking here and others aren't - with arguably less useful features.

I won't pretend to know about 64-but processors. But I guess I assume (given my experience with 32 and 64-bit desktops) this will open the door for vastly more robust apps and graphic intensive games. Right now? Its a doubling of speed and graphics performance, but I'm all for ANY feature that allows devs to create more powerful apps.

And also, please don't misinterpret - the iPhone and iOS are not perfect. No OS is. Sometimes people like to assume I'm saying they are....there are features I would like Apple to.implement as well, but I find the 5S to be a great refinement of an already great smartphone option.

dojoman
Sep 11, 2013, 11:12 AM
There are a lot more better Android phones than Note 3 and S4. Why the poll only limits to those against 5S? Makes no sense.

AppleRobert
Sep 11, 2013, 11:14 AM
http://timothyheffernan.net/2013/09/11/what-most-missed-in-apples-iphone-5s-5c-announcement/

Boring is dependent on what the specific user's focus towards features/hardware are. If that isn't met no matter how innovated new features and hardware are, ....

I have an HTC One. I wanted a larger screen than what the iphone offers. I like Blinkfeed and Sense has grown on me. The camera is good enough, it has 32gb, the audio is outstanding, the build quality is outstanding, etc. etc

Technarchy
Sep 11, 2013, 11:30 AM
Yeah I feel the same way about the S4. I like it but I definitely do not love it. Its like a member of the family I tolerate because they are good at some things and are handy to have round, but wouldn't be too upset if they emigrated and I never saw them again.... ;)

lol, sounds about right.

Samsung doing a 4.3 update soon and cleaning up their software a bit would go a long way in ensuring I get another iPhone later rather than sooner.

I'm interested in what the nexus 5 has to offer, and I am sure the galaxy S5 will have big specs, but odds are I'll be happily back with the iPhone in 2014.

The "android-isms" are just too distracting and too frequent compared to all the things people brag about Android being capable of that I really don't care about.

The Game 161
Sep 11, 2013, 11:55 AM
There are a lot more better Android phones than Note 3 and S4. Why the poll only limits to those against 5S? Makes no sense.

No there aren't.

HTC sure.

Tsuchiya
Sep 11, 2013, 12:27 PM

It'll help. Being completely honest, there is nothing really "wrong" with the iPhone itself, it's a beautifully designed and put together piece of hardware. Technically it's also impressive. However, underneath the gloss iOS7 just doesn't offer what I want in a smartphone. An accessible file system and ability to install and download whatever the user wants would be a good start.

Sony really needs to work on the look of that phone.

it seems so much space is wasted on those bezels and bottom area that it makes it look and feel larger than necessary.

They trim that up and make the screen more appealing and it can be a contender.

In the hand it doesn't feel much bigger than the S4. The screen is much better than before (the original Z was mediocre at best). Also Sony claim the bezel was necessary to fit in the camera sensor and make it waterproof. Overall it's a compelling option and for it not to be a "contender" because of it's bezel is a damn shame.

Also am I right in assuming it isn't going to be readily available in the US, hence why it appears to be somewhat overlooked? I need some comparisons done :(

mKTank
Sep 11, 2013, 01:13 PM

I'm using a pretty customizable kernel that has already a lot of gestures. Double tap screen to wake, swipe across capacitive button bar to turn on phone, swipe up from home for menu button, etc.

Details in my sig. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll give it a shot! :)

onthecouchagain
Sep 11, 2013, 01:21 PM

Let me say first that I dig the fingerprint scanner. And it is useful, but it is useful for mainly one thing (to replace passcodes/passwords). Again, I like it. A lot, even.

But look at how many useful things are in the Note 3. It's remarkable what you can do with the S-pen. All the multifaceted ways of multitasking, sharing, adding/calling contacts, scribbling quick notes, etc. is amazing and can be incredibly useful. Have you seen the Note 3 demo video? It's 10 mins chock full of neat features, many of which are arguably useful.

If we're going to applaud Apple for one or two new and exciting features as "forward thinking" (nothing wrong with that), then why not basically applaud every other single OEMwho surely have at least one or two "forward thinking" features, too, in their devices?

LG G2's double-tap to sleep/wake feature?

Xperia Z1's 20+ camera / waterproof-ness (how many stories have we heard of water damaged phones?)?

Nokia's 40+ camera?

Moto X's always listening feature and/or Active Notifications?

These are but a few examples. Are they all forward thinking for the one or two added features they bring to the table?

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 01:38 PM
Let me say first that I dig the fingerprint scanner. And it is useful, but it is useful for mainly one thing (to replace passcodes/passwords). Again, I like it. A lot, even.

But look at how many useful things are in the Note 3. It's remarkable what you can do with the S-pen. All the multifaceted ways of multitasking, sharing, adding/calling contacts, scribbling quick notes, etc. is amazing and can be incredibly useful. Have you seen the Note 3 demo video? It's 10 mins chock full of neat features, many of which are arguably useful.

If we're going to applaud Apple for one or two new and exciting features as "forward thinking" (nothing wrong with that), then why not basically applaud every other single OEMwho surely have at least one or two "forward thinking" features, too, in their devices?

Xperia Z1's 20+ camera / waterproof-ness (how many stories have we heard of water damaged phones?)?

Nokia's 40+ camera?

These are but a few examples. Are they all forward thinking for the one or two added features they bring to the table?

Awesome, I'm all for it. I'm pretty sure I've seen threads praising each of these devices and those features.

Technarchy
Sep 11, 2013, 01:40 PM

Nokia's 40+ camera?

1: Solution to a nonexistent problem

2a: Don't care about megapixels. My GS4 takes good pics with a 13MP and my iPhone takes good pics with 8MP. That spec means nothing in practical use

2b. Waterproof would be nice. Not a big concern on my list, and if it was I'd get a lifeproof.

3. Who cares? I don't. See point 2a. 1MP, 10000MP? Does the photo look good is what I care about.

4. Have wake commands on the GS4. Sorta neat, but the only practical use so far has been telling my alarm to snooze, any other time it's just as easy to perform a function on the phone and not be a douchey spectacle.

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 01:49 PM

2a: Don't care about megapixels. My GS4 takes good pics with a 13MP and my iPhone takes good pics with 8MP. That spec means nothing in practical use

2b. Waterproof would be nice. Not a big concern on my list, and if it was I'd get a lifeproof.

3. Who cares? I don't. See point 2a. 1MP, 10000MP? Does the photo look good is what I care about.

4. Have wake commands on the GS4. Sorta neat, but the only practical use so far has been telling my alarm to snooze, any other time it's just as easy to perform a function on the phone and not be a douchey spectacle.

Lol Couch - I tried to be nice. Techarchy and I generally think a lot alike however and we're both in the same boat (iOS guys who use GS4s).

Anyways, I agree with the above assessment, but my point was not to simply praise Apple. It was to point out the double standard. There are numerous threads here praising each of the above features and the phones they come in, while none of Apple's 3 major new features (all firsts in a smartphone) are given the praise they deserve.

Anyways, lol.

----------

I want to highlight this part really quickly.....

How many of those features are multiple ways to reach the same end goal or accomplish the same task?

If I have ZERO problem doing a task and I can do it quickly, reliably and efficiently should we praise someone for coming up with another way to do said task?

Its whole, "what problem does this solve" thing Tech brought up. Each of the three features Apple presented addresses specific "problems" or inconveniences. Obviously I'm all for doing things more efficiently, and without having watched the Note 3 demo, I'm sure there are some features in there that are great - but my point remains.

Just a thought/question.

Prototypical
Sep 11, 2013, 01:58 PM
How many of those features are multiple ways to reach the same end goal or accomplish the same task?

If I have ZERO problem doing a task and I can do it quickly, reliably and efficiently should we praise someone for coming up with another way to do said task?

I think we should praise them, as variety means everyone has the opportunity to do it their own way. BUT...

I also think there is absolutely nothing wrong with adapting to the way Apple has designed their processes and systems. If the "iPhone Way" works perfectly for me, I don't need 72 other ways to send messages or share contacts or whatever. I don't WANT 72 other ways (which just complicate an otherwise basic task). I want simplicity and familiarity over unnecessary variety.

Android diehards seem to have trouble digesting that.

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 02:03 PM
I think we should praise them, as variety means everyone has the opportunity to do it their own way. BUT...

I also think there is absolutely nothing wrong with adapting to the way Apple has designed their processes and systems. If the "iPhone Way" works perfectly for me, I don't need 72 other ways to send messages or share contacts or whatever. I don't WANT 72 other ways (which just complicate an otherwise basic task). I want simplicity and familiarity over unnecessary variety.

Completely agree.

As those who don't automatically put me into some generalization and actually READ what I post know, I'm a fan of both iOS AND Android. I just prefer iOS because I happen to like the simplicity.

Both are great, neither are perfect and there are things about each I, personally, am hoping for. I'm perfectly happy to praise ANY company that does something particularly well - I just don't feel the need to ADD to all the current Android praise and instead try to fill the void of Apple praise.

Hey Couch - just curiosity as we tend to get locked into debate quite often, I'm genuinely interested in what things iOS 7 and the iPhone are still missing that would make you take a look at them again. I think I know a few of them, but didn't want to assume.

bova80
Sep 11, 2013, 02:06 PM
I chose none of the items in the poll. Picked up the LG G2 and gave my wife my iPhone 5. Pretty happy with my decision.

Apollo 13
Sep 11, 2013, 02:08 PM
if iphone moved to 4.5in screen ppl would still complain and say it's to small. People just like to bitch about Apple plain and simple just like ppl like to complain about Samsung and their plastic phones.

Technarchy
Sep 11, 2013, 02:33 PM
Lol Couch - I tried to be nice. Techarchy and I generally think a lot alike however and we're both in the same boat (iOS guys who use GS4s).

Anyways, I agree with the above assessment, but my point was not to simply praise Apple. It was to point out the double standard. There are numerous threads here praising each of the above features and the phones they come in, while none of Apple's 3 major new features (all firsts in a smartphone) are berated.

Anyways, lol.[COLOR="#808080"]

The iPhone 5S deserves praise in numerous ways that will go right over most heads.

What about contextual awareness? The iPhone 5S actually understands if you are walking, or in a vehicle which will be a big deal for all types of app development. Let's think about that for a moment; a phone that has a sense of proprioception and contextual understanding of space and movement.

64-bit processing, so you get far more horsepower, and better battery life without resorting to 8 core chips. which we learned is not effeciecient or even properly utilized by Apple's competitors (http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-exynos-5-octa-processors-will-take-advantage-all-8-cores-future)

Stealing iPhones is about to get close to pointless after iPhone 5S between iOS7 and Touch ID

Those are innovations, appreciated or not. Devices with a sense of proprioception and contextual understanding will do far more to push what smartphones are capable of in the next decade compared to water proofing and 40MP cameras.

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 02:35 PM
The iPhone 5S deserves praise in numerous ways that will go right over most heads.

What about contextual awareness? The iPhone 5S actually understands if you are walking, or in a vehicle which will be a big deal for all types of app development. Let's think about that for a moment; a phone that has a sense of proprioception and contextual understanding of space and movement.

64-bit processing, so you get far more horsepower, and better battery life without resorting to 8 core chips. which we learned is not effeciecient or even properly utilized by Apple's competitors (http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-exynos-5-octa-processors-will-take-advantage-all-8-cores-future)

Stealing iPhones is about to get close to pointless after iPhone 5S between iOS7 and Touch ID

Those are innovations, appreciated or not. Devices with a sense of proprioception and contextual understanding will do far more to push what smartphones are capable of in the next decade compared to water proofing and 40MP cameras.

Completely agree Tech.

Here's a great CNET article about 64-bit processors in mobile and why Apple did it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57602372-94/the-real-reasons-apples-64-bit-a7-chip-makes-sense/?google_editors_picks=true

sddabrow
Sep 11, 2013, 02:47 PM
Man, I had a long write up written, but the page timed out since work got in the way lol.

Let me try to re-type my opinion on why I am going to the Note 3 from the iPhone 4s. I am involved in the Apple ecosystem and currently carry a Macbook Pro, iPad2, and iPhone 4s.

- Bigger screen - Numerous times I just want to look something up quick on the web or watch a brief youtube video so I grab my iPhone to accomplish this. I would much rather grab my Note 3 for viewing pleasure.. Not sure why I don't grab the iPad (maybe it is upstairs and I am lazy) but my phone is always on me. The only thing I worry about the larger screen is when I am driving, which I shouldn't be doing anyways :eek:

- Multitasking - Big one for me. Whenever I am on my iPad I want to minimize my Youtube and go play a game or read a review.. I can't. I cannot wait to be able to browse the web on my device while having a youtube stream going on at the same time. I also look forward to having two emails open to reference at the same time, two texts, a calculator & emails to work out margins, etc. Multitasking on a larger screen will be perfect for my use case.

- File management & Emails - One of my biggest gripes with iOS is the email management and attachments. I have tried using GoodReader and other apps to 'save' the email, but it is just a pain. I usually like to take email attachments and forward them on, without all the text. So I have to go through and delete the texts but save the attachment on the draft email. Don't even get me started with multiple attachments. Looking forward to Android's capabilities here. Especially with my 300+ emails I do on the road as I am in sales.

Lastly is Google Now. I love using Google Now on iOS but hate having to switch between my personal and work gmails. Can't wait for them to be rolled up into one on the phone.

I will miss features of iOS. Primarily the ease of use and iMessage. I'm going to hate not being able to answer a text on my Macbook or iPad. But at the same time, my iPad could never multitask, so I would have to close that youtube video or game to respond ;)

Just my opinions and my thoughts why I am looking to switch.

alaahershy
Sep 11, 2013, 02:52 PM
I'm not a samsun fan ,I'm Sony guy but i must tell you that I Think the note 3 is the leader now in the market and the pen that come with it , it just awesome , display is good not the best one but its good for 5.7 inchs , arount 383 ppi, cpu is so powerful and 3gb of ram. Wawwww you can run skyrim on it,so I choose note3 for now.

Fireblade
Sep 11, 2013, 02:54 PM
Stay with my S4 or switch to the Note 3, have to see it in person.

Apple isn't innovating anymore, they even fail to catch up these days, sad.

blackhand1001
Sep 11, 2013, 02:54 PM
Completely agree Tech.

Here's a great CNET article about 64-bit processors in mobile and why Apple did it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57602372-94/the-real-reasons-apples-64-bit-a7-chip-makes-sense/?google_editors_picks=true

Actually 64bit isn't what provides any of that performance. The 64bit part will make very little difference. Don't believe me, go look at the benchmarks for the exynos 5250. Its a dual core chip and still rapes most quad cores. (It destroys the a6 and likely the a7) The octa core chips actually have nothing to do with running 8 cores either. They are what are referred to as big-little designs. 4 high power cores and 4 low power cores. Its not just throwing more cores at the issue. The trick is core switching based on the load. This wasn't quite ironed out on the exynos 5410 in the gs4, but it apparantly has been fixed in the exynos 5420.

Also, this discussion is purely about the cpu side. Please do not bring up gpu aspects. That is completely seperate from the 32bit vs 64bit discussion. The idea that the change from 32bit to 64bit will improve battery life is also laughable. The speed improvements from the a7 are not from the 64bit architecture. They are from other things.

I doubt the a7 will be able to beat the snapdragon 800, exynos 5410/20, tegra 4, or even the 5250 in cpu benchmarks.

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 03:01 PM
Actually 64bit isn't what provides any of that performance. The 64bit part will make very little difference. Don't believe me, go look at the benchmarks for the exynos 5250. Its a dual core chip and still rapes most quad cores. (It destroys the a6 and likely the a7) The octa core chips actually have nothing to do with running 8 cores either. They are what are referred to as big-little designs. 4 high power cores and 4 low power cores. Its not just throwing more cores at the issue. The trick is core switching based on the load. This wasn't quite ironed out on the exynos 5410 in the gs4, but it apparantly has been fixed in the exynos 5420.

Also, this discussion is purely about the cpu side. Please do not bring up gpu aspects. That is completely seperate from the 32bit vs 64bit discussion. The idea that the change from 32bit to 64bit will improve battery life is also laughable. The speed improvements from the a7 are not from the 64bit architecture. They are from other things.

I doubt the a7 will be able to beat the snapdragon 800, exynos 5410/20, tegra 4, or even the 5250 in cpu benchmarks.

Did you even read the article?

Your posts tells me you didn't....because the jist of the post is the move to 64-bit has little-to-nothing to do with current performance boosts.

And no, I would guess the A7 won't beat this year's Android CPU competitors in benchmarks either. Because Apple's chips NEVER do.....

EDIT: Claims based on Geekbench 2 scores....not comparable to Geekbench 3. Will be running Geekbench 3 tests on my devices for new comparison set.

onthecouchagain
Sep 11, 2013, 03:16 PM

So what problem existed before finger printer sensor or 64-bit came along (the two examples Jrz uses)? So entering passcodes and passwords were problems? All these years, Apple and others had this problem until the finger print sensor came along?

I don't understand.

Did you read Jrz's post that I quoted? He considers the fingerprint sensor "not mind blowing nor innovation, but useful."

That's great that you don't care. Why should it matter that you don't care? The point was those are one or two features of those respective phones (and again, they are but a few examples off the top of my head. I noticed you didn't quote anything regarding the Note 3's plethora of useful features).

The point was, every phone has one or two features that are useful and/or forward thinking. The Galaxy S4 had a plethora of what I'd call forward thinking (advancing hands-free gesture based controls, advancing eye-based controls, advancing wireless charging), but not necessarily useful.

So only Apple can define what forward thinking is? Please. They got a lot more "forward" to go before they could even get to where most others are.

Not even sure what this is about, but okay.

----------

Anyways, I agree with the above assessment, but my point was not to simply praise Apple. It was to point out the double standard. There are numerous threads here praising each of the above features and the phones they come in, while none of Apple's 3 major new features (all firsts in a smartphone) are given the praise they deserve.

Double standard? I'm sure it happens, but I know you're not talking about me.

And you are really drinking the kool-aid if you think somehow the double standard is not mostly on the side of Apple. I don't even know where to begin here.

And speaking of double standard, again, why do you not appreciate any of the one or two features of other OEMs the way you do of Apple? You're so ready to call Apple's limited feature-list "forward thinking."

I was very quick to appreciate fingerprint scanner and even parts of iOS 7, just as I was able to appreciate what Samsung was offering with their features for the S4 at the time (though I still never got the S4), and all the features of the Note III (a device I'm also not getting). That's being fair.

When was the last time you posted such a lengthy defense for Samsung or any other OEMs for "one or two" useful features? You really put your effort into that post about Apple's 64-big and finger print sensor. Where is your effort for other OEMs? Where is your fairness?

I'm sorry, Jrz. There is a reason why multiple people here keep calling you out on this. You keep thinking there's this narrative that simply isn't there, and you keep thinking all you're doing is offering a "balanced view." Get a grip.

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 03:27 PM
Double standard? I'm sure it happens, but I know you're not talking about me.

Just bringing up a thought - wasn't directed toward you or anyone specific.

And you are really drinking the kool-aid if you think somehow the double standard is not mostly on the side of Apple. I don't even know where to begin here.

Don't really see that much here, but ok. I'm not going to argue about this.

And speaking of double standard, again, why do you not appreciate any of the one or two features of other OEMs the way you do of Apple? You're so ready to call Apple's limited feature-list "forward thinking."

Did I not say go for it? I don't feel the need to "appreciate" everything because, as I stated those features get plenty of praise in various threads here.

On the other hand, the features Apple debuted are being met with a lot of hate and misinformation so I felt the need to post positives about them. My posting of positives for Apple is not an indication of how I feel about other companies.

For instance, on numerous occasions I've stated that the GS4 has the PERFECT display-to-device size ratio that I've used/seen. I think they did a masterful job fitting the 5" display in a relatively small footprint.

I was very quick to appreciate fingerprint scanner and even parts of iOS 7, just as I was able to appreciate what Samsung was offering with their features for the S4 at the time (though I still never got the S4), and all the features of the Note III (a device I'm also not getting). That's being fair.

Congratulations?

When was the last time you posted such a lengthy defense for Samsung or any other OEMs for "one or two" useful features? You really put your effort into that post about Apple's 64-big and finger print sensor. Where is your effort for other OEMs? Where is your fairness?

Again, why should I reiterate what numerous other posters are saying? I've stated this numerous times, my posts tend to come from the iOS side for a variety of reasons. Chiefly, being because many times iOS gets the raw end of the deal. You take to mean I'm being unfair, when I'm simply presenting a point of view not widely publicized.

If you want me to give me every opinion on all the devices I've owned so I can be "fair", I suppose I could do that. But with devices such as the HTC One and GS4 and Nexus 4 (which I have positively commented on on numerous occasions), there are already so many threads praising their features.

There are also a lot of threads crushing Apple for the 5S - claiming its a terrible update. My posts offering reasoning behind the counterpoint only serve to refute those complaints.

----------

I'm sorry, Jrz. There is a reason why multiple people here keep calling you out on this. You keep thinking there's this narrative that simply isn't there, and you keep thinking all you're doing is offering a "balanced view." Get a grip.

Actually, aside from you the only people who "call me out" do so in an extremely trollish and childish manner.

Really you are one of the few who offers at all compelling arguments, albeit I think many times they are misplaced and you assume things I'm not actually saying or thinking.

onthecouchagain
I want to highlight this part really quickly.....

Its whole, "what problem does this solve" thing Tech brought up. Each of the three features Apple presented addresses specific "problems" or inconveniences. Obviously I'm all for doing things more efficiently, and without having watched the Note 3 demo, I'm sure there are some features in there that are great - but my point remains.

Just a thought/question.

And my reply is exactly the same as I wrote to Tech.

Exactly what "problem" did passwords and passcodes have prior to finger print scanner?

I adamantly spoke against the requirement of needing your password every time you download an app. Requiring the finger print sensor is, in my opinion, still just as stupid, but it's faster now. So I'm for it.

Before, typing in someone's 10-digit phone number was slower. Now, you can use the S-pen, circle it, and bring up an option to automatically not just add it, but call it, text it, edit it, etc. Easier, more options, faster.

Your other example in your post was 64-bit architecture. Groovy. But what "problem" did it create before that?

How about battery life? Battery life can always get better, right? If people were happy with the battery life of the iPhone 5, should it not improve? Can't people benefit from it being longer, better? In a different post, you predicted Apple would focus on battery life of the iPhone 5. You spoke as if this was a worthy and noble venture. Where is the same vigor of praise for Motorola or Samsung's Note series' reputable battery life? Where?

You've got to be kidding me.

You're trying to parse out the features of the competition as not really being that useful for solving a problem that wasn't there, all the while praising Apple for exactly that to an actual higher degree, what with their incremental updates and narrow field of focus in improvements.

What's the point of doubling the graphics? What was the "problem" with graphics prior to the iPhoen 5S' new chip? Why are you not questioning Apple in the same vane you question other OEMs for these types of upgrades and improvements?

Folks, there is no clearer case of Jrz's hypocrisy and double standard than in these last few exchanges with me. Pay attention.

fredaroony

If it works for you and you're happy then thats great. The key is that not everyone is the same and some others like to change things in their phones to suit their needs.

onthecouchagain
Sep 11, 2013, 03:31 PM
Actually, aside from you the only people who "call me out" do so in an extremely trollish and childish manner.

I'm the only one taking the time to explain and elaborate. Those others who are going straight to the point may be wiser than I.

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 03:40 PM
I'm the only one taking the time to explain and elaborate. Those others who are going straight to the point may be wiser than I.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17876930#post17876930

----------

And my reply is exactly the same as I wrote to Tech.

Exactly what "problem" did passwords and passcodes have prior to finger print scanner?

I adamantly spoke against the requirement of needing your password every time you download an app. Requiring the finger print sensor is, in my opinion, still just as stupid, but it's faster now. So I'm for it.

Before, typing in someone's 10-digit phone number was slower. Now, you can use the S-pen, circle it, and bring up an option to automatically not just add it, but call it, text it, edit it, etc. Easier, more options, faster.

Your other example in your post was 64-bit architecture. Groovy. But what "problem" did it create before that?

How about battery life? Battery life can always get better, right? If people were happy with the battery life of the iPhone 5, should it not improve? Can't people benefit from it being longer, better? In a different post, you predicted Apple would focus on battery life of the iPhone 5. You spoke as if this was a worthy and noble venture. Where is the same vigor of praise for Motorola or Samsung's Note series' reputable battery life? Where?

You've got to be kidding me.

You're trying to parse out the features of the competition as not really being that useful for solving a problem that wasn't there, all the while praising Apple for exactly that to an actual higher degree, what with their incremental updates and narrow field of focus in improvements.

What's the point of doubling the graphics? What was the "problem" with graphics prior to the iPhoen 5S' new chip? Why are you not questioning Apple in the same vane you question other OEMs for these types of upgrades and improvements?

Folks, there is no clearer case of Jrz's hypocrisy and double standard than in these last few exchanges with me. Pay attention.

Lol - witch hunt? You're insinuating and coming to conclusions that aren't true. But hey, keep going if it floats your boat.

I'll say it again: I don't feel the need to post what others have already posted numerous times on this thread. Don't like it? Fine. That's all I have to say.

onthecouchagain
Sep 11, 2013, 03:41 PM
I want to reiterate something so it doesn't get lost:

I actually really like the fingerprint sensor and appreciate all it can do for security, for faster passcode/password access.

I said so from the very beginning this is a great feature.

Prototypical
Sep 11, 2013, 03:43 PM
If it works for you and you're happy then thats great. The key is that not everyone is the same and some others like to change things in their phones to suit their needs.

I never suggested anything to the contrary. Just that there is no reason for disrespect when people choose Apple's path as their preference. Just as complete freedom works for some, simplicity and uniformity is good for others. The latter doesn't make a person any less intelligent or tech savvy.

onthecouchagain
Sep 11, 2013, 03:45 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17876930#post17876930

----------

Lol - witch hunt? You're insinuating and coming to conclusions that aren't true. But hey, keep going if it floats your boat.

I'll say it again: I don't feel the need to post what others have already posted numerous times on this thread. Don't like it? Fine. That's all I have to say.

So, you only rise to the defense of companies when and where it's necessary, regardless if it's Apple or the competition. Noble. So, show me a post or thread by you where you defend or explain to the same degree all the features the competition is offering in the iPhone forum.

You and I both know there's a nice vacuum of "fair and balanced" Android points of views in the iPhone forum.

Show me where you rise to the defense of Android OEMs with the same fervor, detail, and dedication there for Android OEMs as you do for Apple here in the Alternatives.

Make me a believer.

EDIT: I see your link now. That doesn't absolve you from being a hypocrite prior to that. And if I didn't call you out on it, that post wouldn't even exist. I believe your praise, but you're not fooling anyone. Nice, but disingenuous, try. Not to mention, that's not what I'm asking for above.

aneftp
Sep 11, 2013, 03:45 PM
I have money to burn. So getting Note 3 (ATT version). iPhone 5S (Verizon) and than Nexus 5.

That's my fall lineup.

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 03:47 PM
I want to reiterate something so it doesn't get lost:

I actually really like the fingerprint sensor and appreciate all it can do for security, for faster passcode/password access.

I said so from the very beginning this is a great feature.

Lol - ya but make sure any positive thing I've said about an Android device gets lost so you can continue your witch hunt. :rolleyes:

Come one Couch....if you just take the posts at face value and stop reading WAY too much into them, we'd have a much better discussion.

FYI, I want you to know - I'm only referring to phones I've owned. As I stated in an above post I can't speak about the Note 3. Never owned one and never saw the demo video. I'm sure there are plenty of great things about the S-Pen. Again, can't comment because I've never used it.

When I talk about "features that don't fix a problem" (notice earlier I also said "inconvenience"), I'm talking about the Smart and Air features on my GS4, or how about the "ultrapixel" camera on the One that attempted to fix low light photo quality, but ultimate (in my mind) failed.

So instead of ASSUMING, I'm talking about EVERY ANDROID phone ever made - stop, breathe and take my post at face value, knowing I own Android, I've said I like Android (and been quite specific about it) and I'm simply presenting a side, few here present or see.

blackhand1001
Sep 11, 2013, 03:51 PM
I have money to burn. So getting Note 3 (ATT version). iPhone 5S (Verizon) and than Nexus 5.

That's my fall lineup.

huh? Why on so many carriers?

onthecouchagain
Lol - ya but make sure any positive thing I've said about an Android device gets lost so you can continue your witch hunt. :rolleyes:

Come one Couch....if you just take the posts at face value and stop reading WAY too much into them, we'd have a much better discussion.

FYI, I want you to know - I'm only referring to phones I've owned. As I stated in an above post I can't speak about the Note 3. Never owned one and never saw the demo video. I'm sure there are plenty of great things about the S-Pen. Again, can't comment because I've never used it.

When I talk about "features that don't fix a problem" (notice earlier I also said "inconvenience"), I'm talking about the Smart and Air features on my GS4, or how about the "ultrapixel" camera on the One that attempted to fix low light photo quality, but ultimate (in my mind) failed.

So instead of ASSUMING, I'm talking about EVERY ANDROID phone ever made - stop, breathe and take my post at face value, knowing I own Android, I've said I like Android (and been quite specific about it) and I'm simply presenting a side, few here present or see.

Newsflash, you've never owned the iPhone 5S either.

And hope you didn't miss my response here. Make me a believer.

So, you only rise to the defense of companies when and where it's necessary, regardless if it's Apple or the competition. Noble. So, show me a post or thread by you where you defend or explain to the same degree all the features the competition is offering in the iPhone forum.

You and I both know there's a nice vacuum of "fair and balanced" Android points of views in the iPhone forum.

Show me where you rise to the defense of Android OEMs with the same fervor, detail, and dedication there for Android OEMs as you do for Apple here in the Alternatives.

Make me a believer.

EDIT: I see your link now. That doesn't absolve you from being a hypocrite prior to that. And if I didn't call you out on it, that post wouldn't even exist. I believe your praise, but you're not fooling anyone. Nice, but disingenuous, try. Not to mention, that's not what I'm asking for above.

Not only do you make posts about praising Apple, you continue to defend them in those threads. They get pretty lengthy and heated, which is all fine.

Again, show me the same noble fervor and dedication for the competition in the iPhone forums.

jrswizzle

Make me a believer.

EDIT: I see your link now. That doesn't absolve you from being a hypocrite prior to that. And if I didn't call you out on it, that post wouldn't even exist. Nice try, though.

I'm having trouble wading through all the complaining about the 5S and 5C in the iPhone forum....

Suffice it to say, I've countered the "plastic is cheap and crappy" argument as I find the GS4 to both look and feel very nice.

I've also gone against the screen-size argument as well, in that I'm for larger screens.

And that link/thread is only an combination of statements I've made ACROSS these forums, both Alternatives and iPhone sections. I'm not going through my entire post history to "convince" you Couch. You want to see a certain narrative, go ahead. Funny you accuse me of the same thing.

And hey, I titled it "Appease Onthecouchagain" so feel free to take credit. Just know EACH of those assessments exists within numerous threads here.

Shanghaichica
Sep 11, 2013, 03:52 PM
I'll be sticking with my S4. The 5S doesn't really interest me. Maybe next year the 6 will bring me back to iOS for my phone.

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 03:52 PM
Newsflash, you've never owned the iPhone 5S either.

QED.

This is true - but as I stated, I never saw the release announcement for the Note 3, Moto X, LG G2, Sony phone or any of the other Android phones you're accusing me of indirectly badmouthing.....so I still say I'm not talking about ANY of these phones in my posts.

I'm done with this. It's absurd and you'll believe what you want to believe. See above.

EDIT: Just went through the first 3 pages on the iPhone forum.....not 1 is talking about any other device other than the iPhone and roughly 90% of those iPhone threads are complaints.....not much to defend over there other than the iPhone oddly enough - which I did. Posted a thread about why complainers are idiots that's gone over really well :p

onthecouchagain
Sep 11, 2013, 03:57 PM
I'm having trouble wading through all the complaining about the 5S and 5C in the iPhone forum....

Suffice it to say, I've countered the "plastic is cheap and crappy" argument as I find the GS4 to both look and feel very nice.

I've also gone against the screen-size argument as well, in that I'm for larger screens.

And that link/thread is only an combination of statements I've made ACROSS these forums, both Alternatives and iPhone sections. I'm not going through my entire post history to "convince" you Couch. You want to see a certain narrative, go ahead. Funny you accuse me of the same thing.

And hey, I titled it "Appease Onthecouchagain" so feel free to take credit. Just know EACH of those assessments exists within numerous threads here.

Even if you tried to go through your history, I have a feeling it'd be sparse pickings. Remember, it has to be to the same level, degree, fervor, dedication, and detail as you do for Apple. You're trying to prove to me you're fair. You readily go page after page to defend Apple. I have yet to see this type of dedication for anyone else.

Yet, you nobly claim you do it for Apple only when and where it's necessary.

Another word for this is 'hypocrisy.'

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 03:59 PM
Even if you tried to go through your history, I have a feeling it'd be sparse pickings. Remember, it has to be to the same level, degree, fervor, dedication, and detail as you do for Apple. You're trying to prove to me you're fair. You readily go page after page to defend Apple. I have yet to see this type of dedication for anyone else.

Yet, you nobly claim you do it for Apple only when and where it's necessary.

Another word for this is 'hypocrisy.'

I already said I'm not proving anything. You're mind is made up. Nothing I say can change it. Good luck with your witch hunt!

Menneisyys2
Sep 11, 2013, 03:59 PM
Where's the LG G2?

onthecouchagain
Sep 11, 2013, 04:09 PM
I already said I'm not proving anything.

Yet you started a new thread titled "for onthecouchagain".

Ok...

----------------

Seriously, I hope anyone who just bared witness to our exchange sees the hypocrisy.

Just to recap:

- Jrz asks why isn't anyone offering praise for Apple's one or two features (examples given were 64-bit / finger print sensor).

- I ask, why doesn't he do the same thing for the one or two features of many other companies? Or how about in cases when there are clearly a ton of new features (Note III)?

- Jrz replies, more or less, because they aren't useful or are solving problems that don't actually exist. (In the case of the Note III, he claims ignorance of its features. Fair enough.).

- I ask what problems existed before 64-bit / finger print sensor? He was unable to provide that answer. That's because there is no answer to that. Apple is making things easier/better just like other companies are with their features, but Jrz fails to recognize that to the degree he does for Apple.

- So I go back to the original question, why isn't there the same level of appreciation all around? Isn't this precisely hypocritical and a double-standard?

- Jrz thinks, no, and explains it only seems that way because he feels it's his duty (or something) to defend companies -- not just Apple -- when and where they are needed, offering fair and balanced views. That's been his whole game, "fair and balance."

- I ask him to produce the same "fair and balance" fervor for Android OEMs in the iPhone forums, a place where there's definitely imbalance. He's unable to. The reasons he says he's unable to, well, I leave that up to you to judge.

aneftp
Sep 11, 2013, 04:17 PM
huh? Why on so many carriers?

Just 2 carriers. Verizon and ATT. I mainly use Verizon line with my iPad/verizon messages app.

ATT is my main line.

I have bullet proof coverage almost anywhere I go.

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 04:24 PM
*Sigh* - Alright, here we go.....

Yet you started a new thread titled "for onthecouchagain".

Ok...

I did what you asked and yet that's not good enough? Hmmmm, wonder who could've seen that coming.....

Seriously, I hope anyone who just bared witness to our exchange sees the hypocrisy.

Yes, in fact - peanut gallery feel free to weigh in. On a scale of 1 to 10, how hypocritical am I? I'd love to see what you all think and why!

Just to recap:

- Jrz asks why isn't anyone offering praise for Apple's one or two features (examples given were 64-bit / finger print sensor).

This is a statement of fact.

- I ask, why doesn't he do the same thing for the one or two features of many other companies?

ON a roll with the facts!

- Jrz replies, more or less, because they aren't useful or are solving problems that don't actually exist.

This is my response to your question:

"Awesome, I'm all for it. I'm pretty sure I've seen threads praising each of these devices and those features." (Post #79)

I then go on to agree with what Techarchy said about "releasing features that solve a problem" and I ADD the word "inconveniences". I ask GENERAL questions (truly questions) about the example Couch uses (the Note 3) and state:

" Obviously I'm all for doing things more efficiently, and without having watched the Note 3 demo, I'm sure there are some features in there that are great - but my point remains.

Just a thought/question." (Post #81).

- I ask what problems existed before 64-bit / finger print sensor? He was unable to provide that answer. That's because there is no answer to that. Apple is making things easier/better just like other companies are with their features, but Jrz fails to recognize that to the degree he does for Apple.

True, I didn't answer this because I was too busy defending myself against assumptions and insinuations you made about my above posts....

As I've mentioned now THREE times, I included the word "inconveniences" in my statement. In my mind, having to enter a passcode and password dozens of times a day is extremely inconvenient. The fingerprint scanner, WHILE NOT INNOVATIVE IMO, will be EXTREMELY useful and solve that inconvenience.

You keep leaving out the camera improvements, which I mention, although that one is pretty self explanatory. Us normal folk encounter many problems with smartphone photography from blurry pics, to bad lighting etc.....seems Apple has implemented a bunch of new changes that will help with most, if not all of these issues.

As for the 64-bit processing. You assume WAY too much about my "fervor" for this tech. It was merely a nice example of something that's forward thinking (which may not solve a current problem, but opens up new possibilities in the future) that I used as the starting point of this discussion.

- So I go back to the original question, why isn't there the same level of appreciation all around? Isn't this precisely hypocritical and a double-standard?

I've defended the devices I know about (Android included) on numerous occasions and have ENCOURAGED users to switch to Android because of the polish and ease of syncing with Apple services. I've even given TIPS on how to sync certain things like iTunes match music.

I also created a thread in which I state the various things I REALLY like about the Android smartphones I've owned as a summary of posts that are scattered throughout these forums. It would take far longer than I have to sift through and find those posts, so I sum them up - however this seems to not suffice.

- Jrz thinks, no, and explains it only seems that way because he feels it's his duty (or something) to defend companies -- not just Apple -- when and where they are needed, offering fair and balanced views. That's been his whole game, "fair and balance."

Wrong. The reason I defend Apple is because there are far more threads making outlandish claims AGAINST Apple than against other devices. There are also numerous threads praising Android devices, and I feel I don't need to further echo the sentiment.

Case-in-point, the iPhone subforum is currently FULL of threads bashing Apple and complaining about how terrible the iPhone and 5S update is. I post ONE thread among the sea of complaints to offer "the other side". I don't feel I need to provide the anti-Apple side as its already readily prevelent.

And truth be told, there aren't a lot of threads badmouthing Android devices here because generally, threads discussing non-Apple devices are moved here and there are PLENTY of defenders ready to step in and fill the void.

- I ask him to produce the same "fair and balance" fervor for Android OEMs in the iPhone forums, a place where there's definitely imbalance. He's unable to. The reasons he says he's unable to, well, I leave that up to you to judge.

Feel free to try and sift through the nonsense that's happening on the iPhone forum right now.....perhaps if we had done this a few days ago, it'd be easier. But right now, its an absolute mess.

So anyways, there you have it.

blackhand1001
Sep 11, 2013, 04:26 PM
Just 2 carriers. Verizon and ATT. I mainly use Verizon line with my iPad/verizon messages app.

ATT is my main line.

I have bullet proof coverage almost anywhere I go.

Are you getting the note 3 subsidized. If not, I would look at getting the unlocked snapdragon version. That way you have the unlocked bootloader and aren't at the mercy of the carriers for updates.

LizKat
Sep 11, 2013, 04:31 PM
I'm getting the 32GB 5C and perfectly happy with the price, i have a 4S so the step up to A6 is plenty uptick for me and it's the least I will have paid for the power of a smartphone. Also, my other line is eligible for upgrade so I can still go for a 6 next year if I don't like the 5C compared to whatever the 6 brings. Usually I like to lag the curve on smartphone hardware though. So I'm happy contemplating having the 5C for phone, browser, apps, keeping the 4S as a great WiFi device and my favorite reading device, and hanging onto a trusty old LG CU515 as the spare on my other line until next year.

The body and case colors of the 5C remind me of the cheerful colors of the plastic desktops and laptops that Apple came out with way back when. To me, that whimsical touch will just be great fun on iPhones. I'm already nuts thinking which two cases to get. Should be way too old to be into this but some people never grow up I guess.

jrswizzle
Sep 11, 2013, 04:38 PM
I'm getting the 32GB 5C and perfectly happy with the price, i have a 4S so the step up to A6 is plenty uptick for me and it's the least I will have paid for the power of a smartphone. Also, my other line is eligible for upgrade so I can still go for a 6 next year if I don't like the 5C compared to whatever the 6 brings. Usually I like to lag the curve on smartphone hardware though. So I'm happy contemplating having the 5C for phone, browser, apps, keeping the 4S as a great WiFi device and my favorite reading device, and hanging onto a trusty old LG CU515 as the spare on my other line until next year.

The body and case colors of the 5C remind me of the cheerful colors of the plastic desktops and laptops that Apple came out with way back when. To me, that whimsical touch will just be great fun on iPhones. I'm already nuts thinking which two cases to get. Should be way too old to be into this but some people never grow up I guess.

I like the 5C - the colors, hell even the cases -which I know isn't a popular opinion.

I understand why they priced it the way they did - Apple never said they would be releasing a cheaper iPhone, so it was on us who were expecting it.

HOWEVER

I had two disappointments with the keynote and the 5C pricing was one of them. I had hoped they would hit at least a mid-level price point instead of essentially re-hashing the iPhone 5 and pricing it as if the 5 were still around.

IMO, Apple doesn't have to hit Nexus pricing - but they need to get closer to compete with it. Apple isn't into market share, so again I understand WHY they did it the way they did - I was just hoping to be able to pick one up as a backup.....for $550 - No. way. (although I'm considering using an early iPhone pricing upgrade in Dec....we'll see).

The other disappointment was with the storage. Not necessarily because I want MORE, but because a bump up would mean replacing the 32 GB I have/had would be $100 cheaper :p

I do think they need to change this though. ESPECIALLY with the move to 64-bit arch.....maybe not overnight, but apps will begin to get bigger and more robust. It's not even about being able to store media. I run out of room for apps on a 16 GB.

Hopefully next year.

WhiteIphone5
Sep 11, 2013, 05:39 PM

You're going to love LTE :)

ichii
Sep 11, 2013, 07:52 PM
Am I the only one that wants to switch to a Lumia 1020? I'm still waiting for the new Nexus to make my final decision.

xxray
Sep 11, 2013, 08:04 PM
Note 3.

cuzo
Sep 11, 2013, 08:07 PM
Android gets owned even in the "alternative to ios section"

smh

Technarchy
Sep 11, 2013, 08:21 PM
IMO, Apple doesn't have to hit Nexus pricing - but they need to get closer to compete with it. Apple isn't into market share, so again I understand WHY they did it the way they did - I was just hoping to be able to pick one up as a backup.....for $550 - No. way. (although I'm considering using an early iPhone pricing upgrade in Dec....we'll see).

I think Apple in a not so subtle way is making it clear they have no intention of competing on price.

We went through this last year with the iPad Mini when all the internet speculation was aiming for $199 to compete with the Nexus 7.

If this is, or is not, a bad move is unknown at this time, but in reality it is Apple sticking the Apple model of selling the previous generation as the affordable model, only the exterior is redesigned with new colors and case options.

gotluck
Sep 11, 2013, 08:23 PM

smh

android = s4 & note 3?

Hankster
Sep 11, 2013, 08:51 PM
You left what is probably the highest touted Android device available right now - HTC One. I've been with iPhone since 3GS, but I'm done. I want a larger screen and better features that I know I'll use. I'm already set to buy the HTC One in a day or two and will probably sell my iPhone 5.

From all the reviews and videos I've seen the HTC One is flat out amazing in build and performance. I loved the design ever since I saw it day one. In fact, I thought it was an Apple product.

----------

smh

Clear representation of a person who knows nothing about the thread he replies to. Laughable.

Brandon263
Sep 11, 2013, 10:47 PM
Which of the three would you buy?
i created a similar poll, but now i want to add the Note 3. I plan on purchasing my phone this month around the 20th

5S all the way baby!!!

ReanimationN
Sep 11, 2013, 10:47 PM
A solution to a problem that doesn't need to exist. Home button = complete absence of the problem.

Nokia's 40+ camera?
The camera specs are great if they actually produce better photos. If they're spec bumps for the sake of being spec bumps, and the photos they produce aren't all that great, then it's a useless feature.

A waterproof phone = hell yeah, I'm all for that. Sony knows how to get me interested in their products.
Always listening = useless as long as Google Now continues to suck in Australia. It's a good idea though, but a lot of reviews say it's flawed and often struggles to work. Given a few iterations, and quality services outside the US, this could be a great feature. At the moment though, it seems like it belongs in the "good idea, but flawed implementation" basket.

Active Notifications = great idea for AMOLED screens, terrible for LCD screens.

It's a compete pain in the arse needing to put in a passcode every time you want to unlock your phone. If my job didn't require it, I'd never use one. The fingerprint sensor allows you to have an incredibly secure solution without the constant, irritating need to continually re-enter your passcode.

It solves a problem going forward- eventually, the switch to 64-bit processors would have needed to have been made. By doing it now, in a few years time, when we'll be regularly getting devices with >=4GB of RAM, Apple's entire product line will be 64-bit and such a transition will be seamless.

Does it solve an immediate problem? No, but it does solve a problem going forward.

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 12:08 AM
It's a compete pain in the arse needing to put in a passcode every time you want to unlock your phone. If my job didn't require it, I'd never use one. The fingerprint sensor allows you to have an incredibly secure solution without the constant, irritating need to continually re-enter your passcode.

Not much of your post is worth responding to, but this above quote right here... this is truly remarkable.

I happen to like the finger print sensor, but it's amazing how Apple apologists' minds work. Are you sure you're not creating a "problem" just to justify and/or glorify Apple? Where was your vigor for Apple to solve this "problem" prior to the 5S? Suddenly, Apple comes out with a finger print sensor, which doesn't "solve a problem" per se, but makes something faster and easier and provides some added security (A.K.A. convenience) and suddenly other features from the competition aren't worthy unless they also "solve a problem." Suddenly, the competition's features which might also add convenience all suddenly go out the window because they don't "solve a problem."

Boo hoo, your job created this "problem" for you. Everyone who doesn't upgrade to the 5S will now all suddenly have "problems" with their phones. Everyone who buys a 5C is just being duped into owning a product that will come with a "problem." Everyone will have to punch in their passcodes/passwords just like they have been for years past. What a "problem!"

What a joke. Almost as absurd as those who say 4" being the new "perfect" screen size. Once Apple does it, then everyone and everything else is now a "problem."

EDIT: Not to mention, where was your adulation for the Motorola Atrix for solving this "problem?"

ReanimationN
Sep 12, 2013, 12:26 AM
Not much of your post is worth responding to, but this above quote right here... this is truly remarkable.

I happen to like the finger print sensor, but it's amazing how Apple apologists' minds work. Where was your vigor for Apple to solve this "problem" prior to the 5S? Suddenly, Apple comes out with a finger print sensor, which doesn't "solve a problem" per se, but makes something faster and easier and provides some added security (A.K.A. convenience) and suddenly other features from the competition aren't worthy unless they also "solve a problem." Suddenly, the competition's features which might also add convenience all suddenly go out the window because they don't "solve a problem."
Er, I've always hated passcodes. Like I said, if using my iPhone and my work's Exchange server didn't require the use of a passcode, I would never use one. Just because I don't continually bang on about it, like you do with the iPhone's keyboard, doesn't mean I now suddenly find it a problem because Apple's now offering a solution.

It was just one of those things I'd just learnt to accept through gritted teeth- everyone (whose job requires it) has to do it, now there's another solution which removes that requirement, which I think is great.
Boo hoo, your job created this "problem" for you. Everyone who doesn't upgrade to the 5S will now all suddenly have "problems" with their phones. Everyone who buys a 5C is just being duped into owning a product that will come with a "problem." Everyone will have to punch in their passcodes/passwords just like they have been for years past. What a "problem!"

What a joke.

Wow, relax fella. :confused: It's now an option (you know how much you love those!) for those who find passcodes irritating, that also offers a secure, speedier solution. I'm not saying that everyone shares my issue with passcodes, just like I've pointed out to you numerous times that all the things you consider problems with the iPhone aren't going to affect everyone. If people don't consider entering passcodes annoying, hey, great, they can use the fingerprint sensor or a passcode, or get a 5C without any issue. For those that don't like continually entering passcodes, the fingerprint sensor is going to be a great thing.

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 12:39 AM
Er, I've always hated passcodes. Like I said, if using my iPhone and my work's Exchange server didn't require the use of a passcode, I would never use one. Just because I don't continually bang on about it, like you do with the iPhone's keyboard, doesn't mean I now suddenly find it a problem because Apple's now offering a solution.

It was just one of those things I'd just learnt to accept through gritted teeth- everyone (whose job requires it) has to do it, now there's another solution which removes that requirement, which I think is great.

Wow, relax fella. :confused: It's now an option (you know how much you love those!) for those who find passcodes irritating, that also offers a secure, speedier solution. I'm not saying that everyone shares my issue with passcodes, just like I've pointed out to you numerous times that all the things you consider problems with the iPhone aren't going to affect everyone. If people don't consider entering passcodes annoying, hey, great, they can use the fingerprint sensor or a passcode, or get a 5C without any issue. For those that don't like continually entering passcodes, the fingerprint sensor is going to be a great thing.

Like I said, I like the fingerprint sensor and recognize that it will make entering passwords/codes easier. That's groovy.

But stop pretending like this isn't the same as other features that other companies implement. Like I said, there's not really a "problem" with how notifications worked before, but Motorola came up with Active Notifications (which by the way, I'm not even crazy about. I've tried it and don't even like it) to make things more convenient for people who want to see and/or go to information right away.

I'm not acting like this suddenly now "solves a problem" and is so worthy of adulation. But I appreciate the feature.

My point is, your post reeked of classic Apple fanboyism. Once Apple does it, then it's meaningful and somehow solved the world of a problem it has only begun to have. Oh, and also everyone else's features can be discredited.

You lower the bar for Apple to impress you.

----------

It solves a problem going forward- eventually, the switch to 64-bit processors would have needed to have been made. By doing it now, in a few years time, when we'll be regularly getting devices with >=4GB of RAM, Apple's entire product line will be 64-bit and such a transition will be seamless.

Does it solve an immediate problem? No, but it does solve a problem going forward.

I wanted to address this earlier, too.

Where is your "it solves a problem going forward" enthusiasm for nearly every other competitor's improvements and specs that could yield more future-proofing?

Where is your praise for expandable storage, or faster/higher end chips (which helps ensure running more apps at a time if you should need to, or graphic intense games of the future, and in general more intense apps of the future; which also might help run future updates better, etc.)?

Where is your praise for 4K video recording for the future of television?

Where was your praise for Samsung making removable backs popular? Doesn't this solve potential future problems of batteries going bad or cases that need replacement?

I'm sure there are plenty of more examples of companies putting in features that aren't fully realized yet, but might and can help in the future.

Where art thou's wonderful enthusiasm for future-proofing when others do it? Where, I wonder, where?

ReanimationN
Sep 12, 2013, 01:01 AM
Like I said, I like the fingerprint sensor and recognize that it will make entering passwords/codes easier. That's groovy.

But stop pretending like this isn't the same as other features that other companies implement. Like I said, there's not really a "problem" with how notifications worked before, but Motorola came up with Active Notifications (which by the way, I'm not even crazy about. I've tried it and don't even like it) to make things more convenient for people who want to see and/or go to information right away.
I think Motorola's Active Notifications are great, they're far better than an LED, and also give decent lockscreen notifications, which I greatly missed when using my N7. They aren't a killer feature to me though as I like the way iOS' lockscreen notifications work. They probably would be a killer feature to me though if I were using Android, as it's definitely an improvement over the stock Android notification experience.

Ok, here's another one of those irritations that I have- having to shield and guard my phone from rain. It's annoying having to either constantly guard my phone whilst needing to use it outside while raining, or having to wait until I'm back undercover. For this reason, I'd really appreciate Sony/Samsung's waterproofing feature, and it's also one of those things I'd learnt to accept, but now know there's a solution out there. However, it's not as pressing to me as the passcode issue, as I generally don't like hanging in the rain, so being able to stand in the rain and use my phone constantly isn't as much of a selling point to me as the ability to bypass having to input my passcode every time I use my phone. But, if I could, I would most definitely want my phone to be waterproof, it's a fantastic feature that I wish every phone had.
My point is, your post reeked of classic Apple fanboyism. Once Apple does it, then it's meaningful and somehow solved the world of a problem it has only begun to have. Oh, and also everyone else's features can be discredited.

You lower the bar for Apple to impress you.
No, I appreciate other company's features if they work well, do something I want, and the company sticks with them and continues to improve them and don't just throw them out there as something to stick on a bullet-point list. Case in point- waterproofing, I want that.

ReanimationN
Sep 12, 2013, 01:28 AM
Where is your "it solves a problem going forward" enthusiasm for nearly every other competitor's improvements and specs that could yield more future-proofing?

Where is your praise for expandable storage, or faster/higher end chips (which helps ensure running more apps at a time if you should need to, or graphic intense games of the future, and in general more intense apps of the future; which also might help run future updates better, etc.)?

Where is your praise for 4K video recording for the future of television?

Where was your praise for Samsung making removable backs popular? Doesn't this solve potential future problems of batteries going bad or cases that need replacement?

I'm sure there are plenty of more examples of companies putting in features that aren't fully realized yet, but might and can help in the future.

Where art thou's wonderful enthusiasm for future-proofing when others do it? Where, I wonder, where?
Very few of your examples are actually relevant to the point you're trying to make. Faster/higher end chips? Iterating faster/higher end chips will be a useless pursuit if they can't address more than 4GB of RAM in the future. Expandable storage isn't a must for the future of a line of devices- Google and Apple will still be selling their products with non-expandable storage years from now.

4K as a standard- this is possibly one of your only relevant points in that rant, however 4K as a widespread standard is much further away than phones and tablets reaching the 4GB RAM limit of 32-bit processors. When we do hit that limit, Apple's entire product line will have already shifted over to 64-bit processors, the vast, vast majority of apps will be updated to support 64-bit processors, and the transition will be effectively seamless.
I'm not hugely enthused about the 5S' 64-bit processor, but I can understand and appreciate why it was done.

Irishman
Sep 12, 2013, 07:55 AM
Galaxy Note 3, the 5S screen is just too small still.

Are you now, or have you ever been, in the employ of the NBA?

Try the Galaxy Mega.

:)

----------

I happen to like the finger print sensor, but it's amazing how Apple apologists' minds work. Are you sure you're not creating a "problem" just to justify and/or glorify Apple? Where was your vigor for Apple to solve this "problem" prior to the 5S? Suddenly, Apple comes out with a finger print sensor, which doesn't "solve a problem" per se, but makes something faster and easier and provides some added security (A.K.A. convenience) and suddenly other features from the competition aren't worthy unless they also "solve a problem." Suddenly, the competition's features which might also add convenience all suddenly go out the window because they don't "solve a problem."

What a joke. Almost as absurd as those who say 4" being the new "perfect" screen size. Once Apple does it, then everyone and everything else is now a "problem."

EDIT: Not to mention, where was your adulation for the Motorola Atrix for solving this "problem?"

Most people don't complain on the interwebz :)

Just sayin'

----------

One thing I've learned about this subforum, is that there are a lot of phone hobbyists here. Some people golf, or buy hi-end audio equipment? These guys are into phones in the same way.

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 07:59 AM
Most people don't complain on the interwebz. :)

Just sayin

So the same can be said then of all those features that the competition has released? Then they are solving a problem after all that simply no one was talking about on the internet too right?

Or can only Apple do this? Apple introduces features that we realize now solve a problem and no one knew of prior because you explain no one complains on the internet but if the competition introduces features then they're not solving any problems. Doesn't matter if anyone talked about wanting it or not before.

Do I have that right?

Irishman
Sep 12, 2013, 08:20 AM

I'm sure they're well into the design process. Remember the MR post from about a week back that suggested that Apple is working on phone sizes up to 6"? Yeah, duh, right?

Of course they are. I'm sure their R&D department has tables full of everyone else's smartphones, in various test scenarios to see what ideas are worth doing. Their prototype process must be a phone geek's wet dream, with all manner of iphones with 4:3 ARs, 16:9 ARs, larger speakers, smaller speakers , etc. They probably even have one with an SD card slot in there somewhere.

Half inch increments in screen size (if they are inclined to go with a larger screen on the iPhone 6), don't usually make people used to the smaller size run screaming into the streets complaining about the HUGE phone! If I were a prognosticating man, I'd suggest Apple would end up making the iPhone 6 a 4.5" size, making it effectively the same size as a phone like the HTC One.

Now that they've made their responses to NFC (fingerprint sensor for the security aspect, and Airdrop for the file-sharing aspect), I'm not sure what features they could refine to the point where they're ready for primetime.

Maybe truly wireless charging? Not with a mat. Not with a sleeve. Not like the Qi. Wireless in the sense that when you walk within its range (30-100 feet), boom, it automatically begins charging with an adapter dongle that plugs straight into your wall outlet. So that, as you do your thing through your home or office, you're charging your iPhone ALL the time, even while using it. We sync wirelessly. Why not charge wirelessly?

That, to me, would be an advance.

hagr182
Sep 12, 2013, 08:30 AM
Neither, still on contract and saving up for a gaming pc. If I where to choose Id go iPhone and keep it simple, Id hate migrating all my stuff over to android.

If I needed a powerful phone, which currently I dont, Id go for the Note 3

Irishman
Sep 12, 2013, 08:35 AM
So the same can be said then of all those features that the competition has released? Then they are solving a problem after all that simply no one was talking about on the internet too right?

Or can only Apple do this? Apple introduces features that we realize now solve a problem and no one knew of prior because you explain no one complains on the internet but if the competition introduces features then they're not solving any problems. Doesn't matter if anyone talked about wanting it or not before.

Do I have that right?

What problems has Samsung, LG, or HTC solved with a phone feature recently?

The massive dump of crapware that Samsung made with the S4 is an example of how NOT to add functionality to your smartphone. The entire suite of "S" apps are the top offenders. At least now we know what that "S" stands for.

Photo software in these other top phones is not intuitive at all.

The dual color LED on the 5S solves a problem.

The Motion co-processor begins to lay the framework for a new class of iDevices geared (pardon the pun) toward health and fitness. That much is clear, although I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that it "predicts" an iWatch, as some have.

Yes, the fingerprint sensor solves a problem. It adds a feature in service of the user experience.

Plus, you twisted what I said. I never said noone complains on the internet. I said that most people don't complain on the internet. That is true.

jrswizzle
Sep 12, 2013, 08:40 AM

Do I have that right?

Hey Couch - since now you're ragging on other users and not me, how about answering my question before all this nonsense got started.....

I'm genuinely interested in seeing how much more it would take for Apple and the iPhone to be a viable option for you. You've said you plan on looking long and hard at Apple next year, and I was just curious, now that we know what the 5S and iOS 7 have to offer, what more you are looking for to TRULY consider the iPhone again? ;)

I think I know some of your requirements, but I'd just like to see them all together in one post.

I'm being serious btw....I'm genuinely curious.

Brandon263
Sep 12, 2013, 09:09 AM
Do you guys argue in every Alternative to iOS and IOS Devices thread? A nice long private message discussion between the two of you might help resolve your differences and make everyone else happier.:)

Do I have that right?

Hey Couch - since now you're ragging on other users and not me, how about answering my question before all this nonsense got started.....

I'm genuinely interested in seeing how much more it would take for Apple and the iPhone to be a viable option for you. You've said you plan on looking long and hard at Apple next year, and I was just curious, now that we know what the 5S and iOS 7 have to offer, what more you are looking for to TRULY consider the iPhone again? ;)

I think I know some of your requirements, but I'd just like to see them all together in one post.

I'm being serious btw....I'm genuinely curious.

tbayrgs
Sep 12, 2013, 09:31 AM
Do you guys argue in every Alternative to iOS and IOS Devices thread? A nice long private message discussion between the two of you might help resolve your differences and make everyone else happier.:)

And this forum would be a whole lot smaller...and a bit less entertaining. ;)

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 09:51 AM

Get your story straight.

I'm not the one saying they solved any problems. I'm simply acknowledging that their features help make certain things easier, or help introduce new ideas to old methods.

It's the Apple side (in this thread) that are saying fingerprint sensor is solving a problem and that all other competition's features don't really matter because they don't "solve problems."

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 12, 2013, 10:11 AM

Smart stay .... I don't need to worry about the screen dimming or going black when I'm looking at screen.

Multi Window .... I usually type notes while watching certain Youtube videos.

Ability to use touchscreen with gloves. This works well for me when I ride my motorbike as I don't have to take a glove off at a light.

Vibration and tone notify when I pick the phone up. This actually works good when you forget about a notification you already saw.

Popup Video and browser. Very useful on certain occasions.

jrswizzle
Sep 12, 2013, 10:35 AM

We don't - as you can see, I'm not the only one who gets into it with him. I think he has me on ignore now.....

At any rate, the post you quoted was a serious question. I'm not trying to troll or be sarcastic. I seriously would like to know. I'm curious and, despite our differences, I know Couch has a very critical eye and will be thorough.

Doesn't look like I'll get any info though....:(

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 11:41 AM
We don't - as you can see, I'm not the only one who gets into it with him. I think he has me on ignore now.....

At any rate, the post you quoted was a serious question. I'm not trying to troll or be sarcastic. I seriously would like to know. I'm curious and, despite our differences, I know Couch has a very critical eye and will be thorough.

Doesn't look like I'll get any info though....:(

This is potentially out of date as I may or may not have changed my mind on some things. Also, there's elaboration as the thread progresses: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1501886

jrswizzle
Sep 12, 2013, 11:42 AM
This is potentially out of date as I may or may not have changed my mind on some things. Also, there's elaboration as the thread progresses: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1501886

Sweet - edit it now that iOS 7 and the 5S are out.....would love to see your thoughts separate from all the arguing and nonsense.

cuzo
Sep 12, 2013, 04:43 PM
You left what is probably the highest touted Android device available right now - HTC One. I've been with iPhone since 3GS, but I'm done. I want a larger screen and better features that I know I'll use. I'm already set to buy the HTC One in a day or two and will probably sell my iPhone 5.

From all the reviews and videos I've seen the HTC One is flat out amazing in build and performance. I loved the design ever since I saw it day one. In fact, I thought it was an Apple product.

----------

Clear representation of a person who knows nothing about the thread he replies to. Laughable.

Just remember the charging times, it's a great phone with a pretty slow charge.

tbayrgs
Sep 12, 2013, 05:30 PM
Just remember the charging times, it's a great phone with a pretty slow charge.

Supposedly the update to 4.2.2 fixed this issue, reportedly reduced charging time by an hour or so. I cannot confirm myself as I'm in the US and still on 4.1.2. My guess is it will be the same with 4.3.

ReanimationN
Sep 12, 2013, 09:29 PM

Do I have that right?

:D

I'd just given you an example of a feature that the competition has, that I may not have been continually whinging about on these forums (although I'm fairly certain I've posted about my passcode issues before), that solves an irritation I have with smartphones that I would also love to have in my phone. Instead, you ignored it in favour of continuing your "Apple users are hypocrites! Hypocrites!" narrative.

aneftp
Sep 12, 2013, 09:55 PM
I assume the Note 3 has a infrared remote for TVs and Cable boxes? I tried to google search and the S4 and other HTC One have remote.

Oohara
Sep 13, 2013, 03:15 AM
I assume the Note 3 has a infrared remote for TVs and Cable boxes? I tried to google search and the S4 and other HTC One have remote.

Yep, it does. It's on the list here (http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09/04/hands-on-and-video-with-the-samsung-galaxy-note-3-at-ifa-2013/) (IR blaster).

JaySoul
Sep 13, 2013, 03:37 AM
I'm sticking with my iPhone 5 for now but I have to admit that if Apple keep raising the price every year, it's going to get stupidly expensive and I will keep my options open about switching to Android.

I may just ending getting the next Nexus phone and an iPod Touch. That would still be cheaper than a iPhone 5S or the 6 next year.

Hastings101
Sep 13, 2013, 10:04 AM

Try the Galaxy Mega.

No, I just enjoy being able to see Youtube videos without putting the phone directly in front of my face and typing on a keyboard that feels scrunched together :p

edit: oops lost the quote box lol

Klosefabrinio
Sep 13, 2013, 10:08 AM
well, the iphone 5S isn't really a big upgrade over the iphone 5, i'm just thinking of switching to note 3

Brandon263
Sep 13, 2013, 06:59 PM
The 5S is being offered for $199, same as previous years.

I'm sticking with my iPhone 5 for now but I have to admit that if Apple keep raising the price every year, it's going to get stupidly expensive and I will keep my options open about switching to Android.

I may just ending getting the next Nexus phone and an iPod Touch. That would still be cheaper than a iPhone 5S or the 6 next year.

ReanimationN
Sep 13, 2013, 08:39 PM
The 5S is being offered for $199, same as previous years.

It's raised in price in Australia. Off-contract, that is. What monthly price carriers will offer it at remains to be seen.

joshwithachance
Sep 13, 2013, 09:11 PM
Why isn't HTC One an option? I just picked up a red one.

Black Magic
Sep 13, 2013, 10:59 PM

I have no plans to switch to Android, but looking at that video, I was impressed with the Note 3. That's a nice phone!

thunng8
Sep 14, 2013, 03:08 AM
It's raised in price in Australia. Off-contract, that is. What monthly price carriers will offer it at remains to be seen.
Apple adjustment to take into account falling Australian dollar unfortunately. Ipad 5 will likely be more expensive as well when it comes out :(

fredaroony
Sep 14, 2013, 04:05 AM
Apple adjustment to take into account falling Australian dollar unfortunately. Ipad 5 will likely be more expensive as well when it comes out :(

It was already overpriced to begin with in my opinion. If anything, Apple should have reduced the range by $100. $1129 for a phone in 2013 is crazy.

Macman45
Sep 14, 2013, 04:10 AM
I'm going with the 5S, and in a departure from my normal "Keep It Black" philosophy, I'm leaning towards that ChampagneÖ.Looks classy IMO.

ReanimationN
Sep 15, 2013, 04:12 AM

It's only going to get worse under Uncle Tone. :(

viewfly
Sep 15, 2013, 04:35 AM
iPhone 5S for wife's upgrade from 4

Champagne

Technarchy
Sep 15, 2013, 07:57 AM
I look at phone like the LG G2, or even the GS4, and at glance they are quite impressive. The screens are huge and the software does lots of cool little things.

But nestled in the experience will be plenty of WTF moments where the hardware and software just don't work as intended. So you end up tweaking just to get things working right and get the user experience in order.

With the iPhone you get less unboxing awe, but way less WTF moments when using the device. 95% of the time you are doing what you want to be doing instead of tweaking to get things working.

Every time my GS4 does something annoying I'm immediately reminded of how stable, refined and seamless my iPhone 5 was.

Yes my GS4 has tons of perks too, and at this moment I'm still trying to determine if they outweigh the quirks in the user experience enough to where I don't replace it with a 5S.

ChrisTX
Sep 15, 2013, 08:13 AM
I look at phone like the LG G2, or even the GS4, and at glance they are quite impressive. The screens are huge and the software does lots of cool little things.

But nestled in the experience will be plenty of WTF moments where the hardware and software just don't work as intended. So you end up tweaking just to get things working right and get the user experience in order.

With the iPhone you get less unboxing awe, but way less WTF moments when using the device. 95% of the time you are doing what you want to be doing instead of tweaking to get things working.

Every time my GS4 does something annoying I'm immediately reminded of how stable, refined and seamless my iPhone 5 was.

Yes my GS4 has tons of perks too, and at this moment I'm still trying to determine if they outweigh the quirks in the user experience enough to where I don't replace it with a 5S.

The only problem with this, is you're speaking logically, and placing the iPhone, and iOS in a positive light. You're supposed to be telling us how Apple has fallen behind the times, and how Android is leading the way LOL. But on a serious note, I totally agree with you in that the iPhone is way more refined. However I'll probably end up getting a Note 3. Glad to see some people can still look back the gimmicky features that a lot of the Android phones have. :p

Dontazemebro
Sep 15, 2013, 08:29 AM

I think no matter what the case was you were never going to fully accept android. I'm even surprised you gave it a shot.

Technarchy
Sep 15, 2013, 08:35 AM
I think no matter what the case was you were never going to fully accept android. I'm even surprised you gave it a shot.

I am "accepting" android, I'm just not a blinded zealot and seeing it for what it is.

Next week I'll be using my iPhone 5 after iOS 7, and I'm sure I'll have some feelings on that too, and it won't all be rosy either.

Dontazemebro
Sep 15, 2013, 09:42 AM
I am "accepting" android, I'm just not a blinded zealot and seeing it for what it is.

Next week I'll be using my iPhone 5 after iOS 7, and I'm sure I'll have some feelings on that too, and it won't all be rosy either.

Which is fine don't get me wrong. It's just weird because in years past you have always been one of macrumors' staunchest android detractors and then all of a sudden you up and get the s4.

I mean I know you aren't lame enough to buy a competitor's device just to find things to hate about it so I genuinely assumed this would be short lived just because you're an Apple fanatic.

onthecouchagain
Sep 15, 2013, 11:13 AM

Highly debatable. I had plenty of WTF moments when I had my iPhone 5 (and 4S).

What's worse is, there's nothing you could really do about it because iOS is iOS. No defaults can be changed, and nothing can be customized to work a different way (without jailbreaking).

cookiesnfooty
Sep 15, 2013, 12:04 PM

What's worse is, there's nothing you could really do about it because iOS is iOS. No defaults can be changed, and nothing can be customized to work a different way (without jailbreaking).

The wtf moments with the Iphone were generally caused by limitations of the software preventing you from doing something naturally expected.

Technarchy
Sep 15, 2013, 01:52 PM
Which is fine don't get me wrong. It's just weird because in years past you have always been one of macrumors' staunchest android detractors and then all of a sudden you up and get the s4.

I mean I know you aren't lame enough to buy a competitor's device just to find things to hate about it so I genuinely assumed this would be short lived just because you're an Apple fanatic.

If it's any consoliation I'll be sticking around for a few months for a couple of reasons

1: I'm inclined to think Samsung will realize how completely stupid it is to release the Galaxy Gear with only compatability with the GNote 3, so we will probably see the fastest android update in Samsung product history in the next 10 weeks or so. I hope they use that chance to clean up their software, work out bugs, and improve performance.

2: No iOS Google Play All Access.

So android/Samsung is getting a plenty of time to be "accepted" and win me over to the extent that I am disuaded from running back to iOS on a 5S

Irishman
Sep 15, 2013, 06:30 PM

Try the Galaxy Mega.

No, I just enjoy being able to see Youtube videos without putting the phone directly in front of my face and typing on a keyboard that feels scrunched together :p

edit: oops lost the quote box lol

I got it. No worries. I got the quote notification, anyway.

cuzo
Sep 15, 2013, 08:09 PM

Yes

My iPhone is too small, hard to type, doesn't fit well in my hand but the second I sell it for a s4 I know what to expect dealing with android and that's what's keeping me from selling the iPhone.

I'm bored of the iPhone but its a pretty productive device IMO.

Please post some of your frustrations with iOS.

The wtf moments with the Iphone were generally caused by limitations of the software preventing you from doing something naturally expected.

Most likely it's something iOS couldn't do in stock form.

viewfly
Sep 16, 2013, 03:12 AM
An interesting article. Food for thought about staying with iOS or Android. Not me but the respected author. ( I'm staying with Apple)

Apple is WAY ahead of the rest of the industry but why I'm staying with Android

http://thenextweb.com/robertscoble/2013/09/13/apple-is-way-ahead-of-the-rest-of-the-industry-but-im-sticking-with-android-heres-why/?fromcat=microsoft

Apple is still way ahead of the rest of the industry. Particularly in how it introduces new products.

Iím pretty disappointed that Tim Cook doesnít talk about the role of mobile in bringing us the future. He has the tools sitting right in front of him to do that, with the new motion sensor in the iPhone 5S and the new iBeacon technology, which wasnít even featured in the iPhone presentation.

That all said, Apple does the best job out there at presenting new product and it isnít even close. Watch this video and youíll see that only one company picked up on the presentation lessons of Steve Jobs.

Samsung? Donít be silly. They always look lame on stage. Google/Moto X? They are trying, but even at the Moto X launch they simply didnít have the complete product and also didnít have the Ďfinishí on the presentations that Apple has.

Microsoft? Um, no.

Who else? Most of the presentations I sit through at the Consumer Electronics Show are just not even close.

Some other thoughts:

1. When my wife gets a new phone it will be an iPhone. Sorry, Google Glass isnít even close to good enough to get her off of Apple. Moto X? Nope, not Moto X either. Sheís used to Apple devices now and I love them because I donít need to do much tech support. Android and other devices, including my Nokia 1020, just donít come close to the overall quality of iOS and Apple devices.

2. Itís clear, when talking with my friends, that Apple and Google are the two that are ďsafeĒ to choose. Blackberry and Microsoft? No way. I donít know how Microsoft will change that.

3. Most people didnít see what Apple did by giving away the five iWork apps: keep Microsoft and Google from having leverage to take away Apple customers.

4. Apple is not worried about pissing off San Francisco geeks. At least not in the short term. They know that switching ecosystems is VERY painful. It took me two months to really be happy about being on Android and even then I see all the apps that are missing and new ones keep coming out on iOS first. Android might be safe, but it doesnít have leverage to get most iOS users over to it.

5. Only Apple seems to be working to keep my data safe (and remove theft rewards). The fingerprint scanner is really key at keeping people out of your ďpersonal cloud.Ē Most of my friends donít use passwords. Why? Itís a real pain in the behind keeping your life secure (I use all two-factor authentication, most people in my life donít).

6. While Apple might not be the geeky leader it leads in one much more important area: the bottom of the experience. Appleís devices and OSís just have no rough spots in usage. Android and other OSís? Thereís ugly stuff here and there. Apple keeps removing anything thatís ugly (like the worst of its skeuomorphic design). Google still has a LOT of potholes in its OS. Shall I pull out the contact manager in Android and show you how bad it is when compared to iOS? Or, letís look at the average app: iOS apps generally are nicer, faster, have more features, etc.

ďSo, Scoble, why arenít you getting the new iPhone then?Ē

Easy: for me Google Glass is the future. It works best on Android. Until I stop believing Google Glass is the future I wonít switch off of Android (or, until Apple has a decent competitor).

I think this is why Apple didnít announce its iWatch. Or a new Apple TV. It also explains why iBeacon was underplayed. Apple is holding the coolest ďpersonal cloudĒ tech for when itís needed: next February when Google will announce Google Glass and a few other things.

Apple needs those to take away the oxygen supply from Google Glass. If it fails to take away the oxygen supply then it has opened up a new way for Google to lever users off of Appleís ecosystem.

Oh, and Xbox? Watch what Apple shows off at about 42 minutes into this video. Tell me, why would a family buy an Xbox when all the teenagers are gonna want a new phone anyway this Christmas and this one plays games pretty damn well!

Translation: Apple still is gonna be highly profitable for a long time to come, even though it is definitely a lot more boring than it was.

The thing is, everyone else is even MORE boring than Apple is. Itís amazing how this industry just hasnít learned the lessons Steve Jobs brought us.

What is iBeacon?

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/10/with-ibeacon-apple-is-going-to-dump-on-nfc-and-embrace-the-internet-of-things/

At WWDC in June, Apple quietly announced iBeacon, one of the more prominent features of iOS 7. Craig Federighi, Appleís senior vice president of Software Engineering, mentioned nothing about about it in the keynote, and Apple hasnít provided any details about it; it was only seen on one slide in the WWDC keynote.

Nor did Apple say anything about it during the iPhone event Tuesday. But Iím sure this is going to be a big deal, and startup companies like Estimote agree, announcing its support for Appleís technology Tuesday and releasing this demonstration video.

Why is that so? For a couple of reasons: it opens a door to new set of applications such as indoor maps and in-store marketing, it makes the internet of things a realty and it might kill NFC (near-field communications), the wireless technology most linked with mobile payments.

macbookpro13
Sep 16, 2013, 12:52 PM
I still have an iphone 4 and was waiting on the new iphone, but the new models just look so tacky. And I'm also tired of the small screen and basic OS.

http://k14.vcmedia.vn/k:pgHuXrcq18KdYtKp3bAtptdIKIxsLl/Image/2013/08/10-6feae/diem-danh-10-chiec-smartphone-android-mong-nhat-the-gioi.jpg

So I'll be getting this sexy phone instead.

onthecouchagain
Sep 16, 2013, 01:02 PM
I still have an iphone 4 and was waiting on the new iphone, but the new models just look so tacky. And I'm also tired of the small screen and basic OS.

Image (http://k14.vcmedia.vn/k:pgHuXrcq18KdYtKp3bAtptdIKIxsLl/Image/2013/08/10-6feae/diem-danh-10-chiec-smartphone-android-mong-nhat-the-gioi.jpg)

So I'll be getting this sexy phone instead.

Post your impressions and pictures. The Z1 is on my radar as well.

Savor
Sep 19, 2013, 04:21 AM
I see no upgrade for me.

Waiting for the Sony Nexus in 2015 or 2017 depending if Motorola makes the Nexus next year and the year after that.

2014 - Samsung Galaxy S5, Note 4, iPhone 6, Nexus 6, LG G3, and whatever HTC Ones and Sony Xperias brings out.

2015 - Same thing except +1 or +s to their names.

My upgrade year is 2015, so I'm content using HTC One for the next two years. If a Sony Nexus doesnt get released, then I will choose Samsung Galaxy S6 or Note 4. I would love to go HTC again but their recent struggles has turned me off a bit. Actually I see myself using phones from 2010 and being perfectly content with it. Texting, calls, light browsing, music, etc. Not a total power user and specs guy. I dont need to upgrade every year. Alot of the numbers are a bit overkill for my needs. Im also starting to prefer smaller phones again although I dont see us going back to sub-4.3 inch screens as flagships anymore.

I dont miss iPhones at all. And if I had an itch for iOS' superior games and music player over Android, I will just get iPod touch or iPad.