Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
I tried diluted alcohol, diluted simple green, nada, and I don't want to use anything petroleum on the rubber keys.

Then it occur to me, the cleanser I use for my contact lens may work. IT WORKED! I also use this for my earphone's tips, they are removable. I figure anything safe for my eyes ought to be safe for the keys.

Suggested Procedure: Damp q-tip with the liquid, but not too wet! you don't want the liquid to get into the cracks, dap the affected keys, let it sit for a couple of minutes, but don't let it dry! If u applied too much, use another dry q-tip to soak up the excess. Then rub it, use another q-tip to make sure everything is dry.

If your stains is been sitting around for a while, it may take several tries.

As usual, your mileage may vary.

Jpeppard

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2013
Every week or so I take a microfiber cloth and monster screen cleaner and wipe down my whole Macbook, trick is to get it before it sets in.

It's alcohol free and seems to clean every surface.

When you say contact lens cleaner is that like salt water basically?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
When you say contact lens cleaner is that like salt water basically?

No, the saline solution is for rinsing only. I am talking about the soaking solution, sometimes it's called contact lens storage solution. We use it to soak the lens overnight and it gets rid of the gunk the eyes puts out.

I got the idea from soaking my earbuds, which gets oily after awhile with all the wax and no matter how much is cleaned, the oil doesn't go away until I used the contact lens solution.

The part pertinent to this is the solution is labeled to REMOVE PROTEIN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.