Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DReyRose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Ok, so, let me give you the complete background. I tried recording a commercial song in Garageband. I then "Shared" into iTunes and dropped it onto a flash drive to put onto another Mac. Well, then I went to load the song to register it with SESAC. When I went to upload it wouldn't let me because "The bit rate is not 128 kbps." and will not let me load it. Can someone tell me how do I get this audio file to 128 kbps? Do I need to use a different audio program to record with? I need this done very soon as there is a music exec asking for us to turn in this audio file to them. Please allow me your thoughts.

Any assistance that is offered is greatly appreciated!

Warm Regards

cheekypaul

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2005
... Well, then I went to load the song to register it with SESAC. When I went to upload it wouldn't let me because "The bit rate is not 128 kbps." and will not let me load it. Can someone tell me how do I get this audio file to 128 kbps?...

drag the original garageband file into itunes.
set import to 128k, ctrl click on your track and select, 'convert to mp3'.
find the new mp3, ctrl click, select 'show in finder'.

try that. see pics. get back if you get stuck. good luck.
(you can now change the itunes setting back to whatever you had it set to before you hanged it to 128k)

Attachments

• screenshot 2013-09-11 at 11.19.01.jpg
    screenshot 2013-09-11 at 11.19.01.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 149
  • screenshot 2013-09-11 at 11.16.03.jpg
    screenshot 2013-09-11 at 11.16.03.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 179
  • screenshot 2013-09-11 at 11.14.43.jpg
    screenshot 2013-09-11 at 11.14.43.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 142

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
As was said, iTunes can be used to create a low bit rate version of the song. but also...

(1) Google for a free app called "XLD". This can transcode between most audio formats

(2) But the simplest might be just to go back into Garage Band and export the song again as a 128K MP3 file. This avoids the double transcoding you'd get by re-encoding the file that is in iTunes. Using the original GB project is the best quality method (if 128k MP3 can actually be "quality")

I think you click "Share->Export" then select how to export it, you'd select "mp3 file to disk" and select 128K

DReyRose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Thank you all for sure! I thought I posted a Thank you but I don't see it for some reason. The change in iTunes worked and I also changed it in Garageband also.

Wanted to ask, has anyone used the Steinberg (Yamaha) UR22 to do basic singer/songwriter recording in conjunction with Garageband? It comes with the Cubase AI but I wasn't sure about using that. Would you recommend Logic Pro X?

My daughter is going away to school soon as a Singer/Songwriter major and I want her to be set up and independent to write & record on her own. Her rig will be pretty simple.

13" Macbook Pro (2012) (maybe thinking of a 15" but she wants a small laptop)
iPad 2 (for back up to load lyrics while recording)
Martin DXK2 (w/Fishman MatrixInfinity pickup & Mogami Instrument cord)
Steinberg UR22
RF-X Vocal Shield (Somewhat customized to have more coverage)
Beta 58A Mic & Mogami Mic Cord

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thank you all for sure! I thought I posted a Thank you but I don't see it for some reason. The change in iTunes worked and I also changed it in Garageband also.

Wanted to ask, has anyone used the Steinberg (Yamaha) UR22 to do basic singer/songwriter recording in conjunction with Garageband? It comes with the Cubase AI but I wasn't sure about using that. Would you recommend Logic Pro X?

My daughter is going away to school soon as a Singer/Songwriter major and I want her to be set up and independent to write & record on her own. Her rig will be pretty simple.

13" Macbook Pro (2012) (maybe thinking of a 15" but she wants a small laptop)
iPad 2 (for back up to load lyrics while recording)
Martin DXK2 (w/Fishman MatrixInfinity pickup & Mogami Instrument cord)
Steinberg UR22
RF-X Vocal Shield (Somewhat customized to have more coverage)
Beta 58A Mic & Mogami Mic Cord

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

I always say to use Garage Band untill you find some limitation. Then upgrade to Logic. Logic will directly import all your GB projects so you can continue working.

Apple has all there documentations for Logic on-line. You can read it. But I'd go to macprovideo.com and buy a $25/month subscription and watch all their Logic videos tutorials. (don't waste you time with Youtube, It's worth spending $25.)

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/logic-application

Another way to decide on a DAW is to go to the above site and watch several videos for each DAW. The introductory videos are typically about 6 to 8 hours long. So you can get a good feel for the DAW before you buy it.

DReyRose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Ok, this is going to probably sound silly but is DAW, basically, the software you use, the hardware? Or is it the Hardware AND Software?

I ask because I have turned on "Multitrack" recording in Garageband and seemed to reach its limitation with the UR22 because I can only get one mic to record at one time, even though both are plugged in.

So, I get the two channels set up on "mono" for each track but then the "Recording Level" grays out and won't let me adjust it and so now I have no sound coming into the recording.

So then I get the "Recording Level" solved because I find out it is now controlled by the sound card/Steinberg UR22. However, I now do not have any input volume through the mics I'm using to get anything recorded.

/sigh /boggle

Will these videos assist with this piece?

Thank you again!

Last edited:

DReyRose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
This is what I found:

http://www.jamcast.co.uk/garageband-tutorial-setup/

I'd recommend taking the 20 mins or so to view this. It solved the rest of my problems.

At this time, I'd like to thank my parents, well my mom in particular. My wrestling coach. My Sgt's in the Marine Corps and the people here on this Forum for making me the man I am today :)>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.