PDA

View Full Version : putting my dead MBA SSD into someones MBA who has applecare.

pcacd001
Sep 10, 2013, 11:13 PM
anyone ever tried this ?
Scenario. My 2012 MBA ssd is dead . No applecare, out of warranty. I have access to another 2012 MBA that is currently unused that DOES have applecare. I'd like to switch out my dead ssd and put it into the MBA that has applecare and have them do the work.

anyone ever tried this?

Doublea6
Sep 10, 2013, 11:14 PM
Sounds like it would work, unless there is a way to track parts labeled to a serial number. I think it's more of a moral issue.

DollaTwentyFive
Sep 10, 2013, 11:14 PM
After you're done with that, you should stop by the local gas station with a gun and demand all their money.

Spink10
Sep 10, 2013, 11:15 PM
wow

simsaladimbamba
Sep 10, 2013, 11:16 PM
Go for it and report back how it went, we need that information dearly, as no one has asked that question yet and we do not know, where to link to when someone else asks that questions.

Ah, I say "we", but I mean "me". Sorry.

s15119
Sep 10, 2013, 11:26 PM
Sure. If you want to be a thief. Amazing what people post on what used to be an excellent tech site.

pcacd001
Sep 10, 2013, 11:34 PM
oh come on guys! lol it was 1 month out of warranty ONE stinkin month. coulda happened 30 days ago and it wouldve been free!

Taskman
Sep 11, 2013, 12:15 AM
You knew when you bought it that had 1 year warranty and now you are trying fraud and asking if it will work...
Question is why you didn't buy Applecare if you planned on using it for more than 1 year?

evorc
Sep 11, 2013, 01:34 AM
Wait what? :confused: So basically you want to lie or commit a fraud? And you want to see who else has done this. Common now, this is clearly wrong. Not trying to tell you what to do, but this is more of a morality issue.

eidrunner247
Sep 11, 2013, 02:19 AM
If you bought your MacBook Air brand new last year with a credit card, you likely have an additional year of warranty.

HarryWarden
Sep 11, 2013, 02:55 AM
Never had to try it but won't get up in arms regarding the morality of it when you consider the company you bought the product from thinks its morally okay to make its products in factories which keep getting in trouble for poor working conditions. Sure, they "investigate" but they don't really end up doing anything considering it has happened more than once. Why not make the products in the USA? Imagine that novel idea. Of course, that would cut into their notoriously huge profit margins and we can't have that...

Jedi Master
Sep 11, 2013, 03:07 AM
anyone ever tried this ?
Scenario. My 2012 MBA ssd is dead . No applecare, out of warranty. I have access to another 2012 MBA that is currently unused that DOES have applecare. I'd like to switch out my dead ssd and put it into the MBA that has applecare and have them do the work.

anyone ever tried this?

All units have a build sheet with part sn:

Besides it's just flat out wrong.

Justify as you mite......

Amazing

JM

AXs
Sep 11, 2013, 06:28 AM
you seriously think you're the first person to try this?

They shoot in the serial number/identification number into their system and game over. Everything that's manufactured has an identification number. Even in cases where it's not singular - there's a bulk identification code or batch/lot number.

I still think you should try it though. Would be interesting to see how Apple deals with it though, since they don't produce these items themselves. They might just not give an F- rare, but possible.

Don't take to heart these people screaming 'theft' - they probably listen/watch copyrighted videos on youtube, and/or download pirated content :p

flowrider
Sep 11, 2013, 06:43 AM
IMO, what the OP is contemplating is really not wrong. What is wrong is that there appears to be an issue with the Toshiba SSD and Apple should be addressing that with a warranty extension. Apple has enabled a warranty extension in the past on certain defective components installed in their products, and this should be no exception. I am one of the unlucky ones to have a Toshiba SSD in my 5,1 Air, and really don't appreciate Apple using defective SSDs and not acknowledging that there is an issue.

Lou

pcacd001
Sep 11, 2013, 07:46 AM
wow ok,so thank you to everyone who helped me out. I have never bought applecare in the past. I am usually very responsible with my apple products. I had a blackmacbook from 2007-2012 and had no REAL issues. I finally decide to upgrade in 2012 to a 1200$+ MBA with a SSD and after *13 months* it goes bad. Literally 3 weeks after the end of warranty. Fortunately a younger sibling had applecare (which was probably infact paid by the same credit card mine own MBA was bought with) and after my medical exam on saturday I might still try this and let you guys know how it goes....

who knows if it doesnt work oh well. and if it does, its just one tiny ssd made from some factory in china by a 12 year old. get over it. there are bigger issues at hand than me trying to save 300$+ on an already expensive computer.

unplugme71
Sep 11, 2013, 08:48 AM
If its within 30 days after your 1 year warranty expired, most likely they will add AppleCare onto your MacBook if you ask nicely and say that you never got an email reminder. I had mine added on 28 days after and saved me 400 bucks after the price of Applecare.

kyjaotkb
Sep 11, 2013, 09:35 AM
beware when you open the Macbooks, you might remove the blue paint they use to make screws harder to remove (and so prove you opened it, potentially voiding the warranty), or you may just destroy the screw and be unable to remove it... I did that when replacing my 2011 MBA's 128GB Toshiba SSD with a second hand 256GB Samsung from eBay. had to go through 4 screwdrivers to open the beast - at some point I even considered Dremel-ing the dead screw out of the Unibody casing - would have been dirty... Then - you can buy authentic blue paint-coated Apple screws on eBay too.
Happy to live in Europe anyway, with the standard 2-year warranty anyway (even though I voided it)...

cyber16
Sep 11, 2013, 09:44 AM
That blue paint is nothing more than light weigh loctite to keep the screws from backing themselves out due to very few threads.
Perfectly fine to open them up, apple needs to prove YOU broke something while in there. This IS case history within the USA.

beware when you open the Macbooks, you might remove the blue paint they use to make screws harder to remove (and so prove you opened it, potentially voiding the warranty), or you may just destroy the screw and be unable to remove it... I did that when replacing my 2011 MBA's 128GB Toshiba SSD with a second hand 256GB Samsung from eBay. had to go through 4 screwdrivers to open the beast - at some point I even considered Dremel-ing the dead screw out of the Unibody casing - would have been dirty... Then - you can buy authentic blue paint-coated Apple screws on eBay too.
Happy to live in Europe anyway, with the standard 2-year warranty anyway (even though I voided it)...

rabidz7
Sep 11, 2013, 09:48 AM

Use a pentlobe screwdriver.

XoFu
Sep 11, 2013, 09:49 AM
IMO, what the OP is contemplating is really not wrong. What is wrong is that there appears to be an issue with the Toshiba SSD and Apple should be addressing that with a warranty extension. Apple has enabled a warranty extension in the past on certain defective components installed in their products, and this should be no exception. I am one of the unlucky ones to have a Toshiba SSD in my 5,1 Air, and really don't appreciate Apple using defective SSDs and not acknowledging that there is an issue.

Lou

I understand the frustration of the OP (and yours) with the defective part!
But, in my book two wrongs are just two wrongs! they do not add up to one right!
By the way who is going to be the one with applecare that is going to allow that?
This is also beyond me!
I guess this is just a sign of times!

Boyd01
Sep 11, 2013, 09:58 AM
Did you make the purchase with a credit card? If so, check with you provider - some of them automatically extend the warranty of anything you purchase. For example:

http://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/extended-warranty.html

Your laptop breaks the day after the warranty expires. No need to worry if you purchased it with your Card, thanks to Extended Warranty

AppleDApp
Sep 11, 2013, 10:01 AM
oh come on guys! lol it was 1 month out of warranty ONE stinkin month. coulda happened 30 days ago and it wouldve been free!

If its one month out of warranty bring it in and be honest about it. I've read many times here that there is a reasonable grace period after warranty expires.

Worth the try. Or you can also upgrade (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Air_2012)

old-wiz
Sep 11, 2013, 10:18 AM
Warranty fraud seems to be perfectly acceptable these days. Good grief.

wmitch
Sep 11, 2013, 11:27 AM
Odds are they will figure it out and you will end up voiding your friend/siblings warranty too. So not only is this morally gray at best but the risk outweighs the reward.

I vote you ask nicely to purchase apple care on it & hope doing the right thing pays off. if it doesn't, at least you have a clean conscience and your sibling still has a warranty.

Miltz
Sep 11, 2013, 09:25 PM
its actions like this that increase the cost of goods sold to everyone else.

old-wiz
Sep 11, 2013, 11:09 PM

And it makes the Apple support people less likely to help the real borderline cases where something fails just after warranty runs out.

macs4nw
Sep 12, 2013, 12:21 AM
Never had to try it but won't get up in arms regarding the morality of it when you consider the company you bought the product from thinks its morally okay to make its products in factories which keep getting in trouble for poor working conditions. Sure, they "investigate" but they don't really end up doing anything considering it has happened more than once. Why not make the products in the USA? Imagine that novel idea. Of course, that would cut into their notoriously huge profit margins and we can't have that...

So two wrongs make a right? The OP comes on here proposing to his fellow forum members, what is at the very least a shady proposition, and basically asking if we think he'll get away with it. What kind of responses are you expecting? I'm not judging you, but there's something not right with that scenario, that cannot be simply justified by other perceived wrongs. Also see below posters.

Warranty fraud seems to be perfectly acceptable these days. Good grief.

There were apparently problems with the 128GB (Toshiba) versions of the supplied SSDs. I'd say to pcacd001, if this is what you had in your 2012 Air, your best hope is that these 128GB SSDs could be replaced even out of warranty, as defective components.

silvershamrock
Sep 12, 2013, 11:43 AM
Do you really think Apple doesn't have ways of figuring out when someone has tried to swap parts like this? I'm sure you can't be the first person to have thought of doing it. And if you're caught (which is the likely scenario) then at best you will void the AppleCare on the second computer -- and at worst you could find yourself blacklisted.

A far better solution, IMO, would be to just be honest, be friendly, and ask them (nicely) to make this right. It's reasonable to expect a hard drive to last longer than 13 months, and Apple does have a well-deserved reputation for excellence in customer service.

But someone who is caught in the act of trying to scam them should not expect to see much of that excellence. They have no reason to want to keep a customer who has tried to deceive them in order to get a warranty repair that they were not actually entitled to. So if you decide to do this and you get caught, don't expect to get treated as if they value your business. Because at that point, they won't be placing much value on the idea of keeping you as a customer. And you will likely be treated accordingly.

It's far better to deal with them honestly. Then they have every reason to want to keep you as a satisfied customer. If you try to deceive them, the only thing you will accomplish is, you will eliminate their only reason to want to make you happy.

(I work as a customer service supervisor: different industry, but what I've just said is pretty standard practice. No company really wants to keep a known scammer in their customer database - except perhaps in the blacklist file.)

henryonapple
Sep 12, 2013, 11:46 AM
OP, let us know how it goes! This is valuable information that can help our community for years to come

cyber16
Sep 12, 2013, 01:33 PM
I also suggest being nice and try one more time, it helps to have at least one apple product under apple care, then just maybe under the spirit of apple care they will take care of you. If not, just figure you just add to the $100+ billion they have sitting in the bank.
At least hang onto the bad SSD and any receipts used to repair/replace it, at some point Apple just may put out an exchange/repair program.

merkinmuffley
Sep 12, 2013, 02:49 PM
Put the broken MBA around your neck and crawl into the Apple store. Bark at them until they agree to fix it for free.

calvol
Sep 12, 2013, 03:11 PM
I would definitely exploit the system and do the exchange into your brother's laptop. Applecare should be extended free to family members! :)

P.S.- I think this is why Apple slightly changes hardware connectors each year to prevent this sort of thing, and to prevent upgrades, e.g. switching out a 2010 mobo for a 2013.

Cheffy Dave
Sep 12, 2013, 03:25 PM

Yep, but it didn't, what he is purposing is fraud, and wrong!:apple:

Compile
Sep 12, 2013, 03:30 PM
Apple switchs connectors so the user doesn't mess around with the system and to reduce the size of their machines.

Also it kind of forces people to buy a new machine instead of doing smaller upgrades.

To the OP, if you are honest with the Genius Bar, tell them you of a defect and tell them your story they will probably replace it for free. If you swap it you WILL void the warranty on the newer machine as they do check for stuff like this.

In 2007 I spilt beer all over a 2 week old MBP, took it to Apple told them my stupidity and they replaced it for free + gave me a free issue of AppleCare. Apple has amazing customer service (2nd to none IMHO), and they will help you out. If you try screwing them you will get dinged.

Mike in Kansas
Sep 12, 2013, 03:51 PM
who knows if it doesnt work oh well. and if it does, its just one tiny ssd made from some factory in china by a 12 year old. get over it. there are bigger issues at hand than me trying to save 300$+ on an already expensive computer.

This is the same logic that people use to justify stealing premium cable channels, downloading music illegally from YouTube, and getting cracked software / activation keys from Pirate Bay. "That company makes billions of dollars and exploits their workers - why can't I steal from them? They'll never miss it... Besides, everyone ELSE does it".

Immorality sanctified by tradition is still immorality.

Try the honest approach and see what actually happens... you may be pleasantly surprised.

Doublea6
Sep 12, 2013, 05:13 PM
just saying.

My brother in law had his SSD fail 30 days after his warranty and the apple store said they would't replace it. The apple employee even said that it would be better to buy a third party SSD and install it himself.

Kebabselector
Sep 12, 2013, 05:26 PM
Pity Apple doesn't think that much of its hardware to offer a decent warranty. Fortunately for us in the EU things are bit better for the consumer. 12 months doesn't seem right for a high value item.

Boyd01
Sep 12, 2013, 08:15 PM
12 months doesn't seem right for a high value item.

See my post above. If you purchased with a major credit card in the US, chances are that you have an additional 12 months of warranty. That is certainly the case with American Express.

dkl
Sep 12, 2013, 09:46 PM
I've had my 2011 MBA died on me 1 month after warranty expiry. Called up Apple Support and spoke to them nicely. They agreed that 1year+1month was too soon for an MBA to fail, and agreed to repair my MBA under warranty cover.

That's amazing customer service! Especially so when I'm from an area where we hardly expect any customer service at all!

My wife was previously using a Sony Windows laptop. She's now an Apple convert and uses a MBA. I've also recently replaced my Android phone to an iPhone5. I'm citing these examples to show that great customer service CAN sway future buying decisions in favor of the company.

So my point is - go call up Apple Support and talk to them nicely.

Kebabselector
Sep 13, 2013, 03:13 AM
See my post above. If you purchased with a major credit card in the US, chances are that you have an additional 12 months of warranty. That is certainly the case with American Express.

We used to get that with some cards in the UK, but fortunately the law covers us now. Pity Apple couldn't offer a decent free no hassle warranty for a minimum of 2 years.

AXs
Sep 13, 2013, 04:53 AM
We used to get that with some cards in the UK, but fortunately the law covers us now. Pity Apple couldn't offer a decent free no hassle warranty for a minimum of 2 years.

It's already factored into the pricing. Based on today's conversion rate, a $1,100 entry level 13" Macbook Air should cost you 700 in the UK.

Yet, it's 950 for a base 13" Air.

Getting MBA + apple care in the states (or anywhere else that US prices apply) is still cheaper than getting an Air in the UK, which comes with 2 years limited warranty (vs apple care benefits).

Kebabselector
Sep 13, 2013, 05:08 AM
Of course you're forgetting about VAT which adds 20% to the prices in the UK (US prices do not include local taxes so the figure of $1100 is also variable).

AXs
Sep 13, 2013, 05:40 AM
Both prices are official retail prices that are cited directly from Apple's website for the specific region.

'if-thens' need not apply here.