PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new powerbook, but not sure what one.

stevey500
Nov 24, 2005, 09:49 AM
Okay, So... I'm getting a powerbook! I really want the 12" powerbook, mainly cause its so small and different from other laptops out in the world. I am going to get at least a 1.33ghz model so I can get the core video support. But I have seen some 15" models with better specs for similar prices. . .
Lets say.. there is a 12" powerbook with the following specs:
1.33ghz
80gb hard drive
Gforcefx5200 64mb vid memory
Superdrive
512mb ram

and there is a 15" with
1.33ghz
80gb hard drive
Radeon 9600 video card 64mb
Dual Layer superdrive
512mb ram
Backlit keyboard
they both have the same price, what one would you go for, even when you are someone that likes the looks and size of the 12" powerbook but also wants performance.. ? Is the Radeon 9600 anything better than the Fx5200 nvidia GPU ? This is kinda hard... lol please help. Thanks

devilot
Nov 24, 2005, 10:00 AM
Okay, So... I'm getting a powerbook! I really want the 12" powerbook, mainly cause its so small and different from other laptops out in the world.Bam! That's your answer. No other laptop will feel as compact and tiny as the 12" PB... I would know; I had a 12" 1.33GHz PB and now I have a 12" 1.33GHz iBook. I still wouldn't trade my iB for a PB-- but I do miss the tiny form factor of the PB. :o

stevep
Nov 24, 2005, 10:32 AM
This gives a comparison:
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/images/portables_comparison_chart_np.html
I don't think there's much difference in the video cards.
Since you mention 1.33 GHz you must be talking secondhand. Lots of people think that prices will drop in January when Apple are thought to be releasing the first Intel based machines (possibly iBooks but who the hell really knows????). Might be worth waiting.....

Will Cheyney
Nov 24, 2005, 10:53 AM
I just REALLY wish that the 12" had a widescreen aspect ratio! That day that comes, I'll replace my trusty 500Mhz TiBook.

dmw007
Nov 24, 2005, 11:13 AM
Between the two systems, I would go for the 15" PowerBook G4 (for the nice big LCD & better GPU).

stevep
Nov 24, 2005, 12:13 PM
I just REALLY wish that the 12" had a widescreen aspect ratio! That day that comes, I'll replace my trusty 500Mhz TiBook.
Well there's a lot of talk about a 13" iBook, possibly widescreen, so maybe that's the way the little PB will go as well.

SummerBreeze
Nov 24, 2005, 02:20 PM
I have a 12" PowerBook and I love it. So small, easy to take to class. If you like the look of the 12", I say go for it. You don't want to get a bigger computer and then regret it.

cycocelica
Nov 24, 2005, 02:51 PM
I would get the 15" one. I travel with it and I do not feel like it is a big burden. I think the 12" was too small for my taste, but I did like the lightweight and compactability. If I did minimal traveling I would have got the 17". That this is amazing.

jtalerico
Nov 24, 2005, 02:54 PM
I would go with the 15" one too. I have worked with a 17" one and im not a very big fan of it. The 15" is just right!!

Jschultz
Nov 24, 2005, 02:56 PM
I like my 15" Tibook. I was afraid that going up a size would affect portability, but it doesn't one bit. The 15" is thin as a quarter (standing up of course!) and it's only 1 lb heavier than the 12".

I could never go back, imho.

stevey500
Nov 24, 2005, 02:58 PM
Okay, while I see some people say the 9600 is a faster GPU, is it significantly faster to the point im really gonna feel it in a game, rendering, etc... is it core video supported? Is the illuminated keyboard reaaaaaallly needed? Can I live without those two factors ? I dont mind the PC card slot seeing as I dont see much of a reason for it for me right now. I am buying this second hand :P

I'm gonna go up state tonight and check out the powerbooks at compusa... Maybe I'll get a better idea :P thanks