PDA

View Full Version : powerbook battery problems

mikelao
Nov 24, 2005, 10:30 AM
i bought a new powerbook 15" about a month ago at the apple store. battery was okay till today. it used to show around 2.45 hrs when i unplug it. now, it just shows approximately 20 minutes!

i checked the battery information and here's what it says:

- full charge capacity (mAh): 432
- remaining capacity (mAh): 425
- amperage (mA): 0
- Voltage (mV): 12532
- cycle Count: 8

please help! what do i do? is the battery pack damaged?

thanks!

Will Cheyney
Nov 24, 2005, 10:47 AM
Download CoconutBattery
http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/files/coconutBatteryEN_1_3.zip

It will show you a comparison to it's 'Original capacity' and it 'Current capacity'. The lower it is, the worse off your battery is.

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/files/page2_3.png

mikelao
Nov 24, 2005, 11:36 AM
thanks! i tried it out and i am scared of the results. i think it's not good...

here's what it said:

Current Battery Charge
current battery charge: 424 mAh
maximum battery charge: 432 mAh

Current Capacity Status
Current Battery Capacity: 432 mAh
Original Battery Capacity: 4400 mAh
graph shows 9%

Additional info:
Battery-load cycles: 8
Age of your mac: 1 month
charger connected: yes
Battery is charging: no (this is weird because my mac is plugged in)

iEdd
Nov 24, 2005, 02:18 PM
You have a really confused or faulty battery. It is registering it's mAh(milli-amp hours) as less that 10% of what it should be when new. Call apple ASAP.

kbonnel
Nov 24, 2005, 04:21 PM
You could try and let the battery fully drain (following Apple's instructions), and then let it recharge. See if that helps.

Kimo

mikelao
Nov 25, 2005, 12:37 AM
thanks for the help! i did drain the battery and it didnt work the first time... still the same effect. i did it again and charging it now... hope this will fix it.

i might just have to bring this in to apple... =(

any ideas what would cause this? is this just one of those defects of the powerbook battery?

Seasought
Nov 25, 2005, 12:52 AM
Are you all using 'letting the battery drain' as being synonymous with 'calibrating the battery'?

If not, I'd suggest trying to calibrate the battery again. I don't mean to insult you if this is a tried and obvious solution, just want to make sure all the bases are covered.

How much is a new Powerbook battery I wonder...

Seasought
Nov 25, 2005, 12:53 AM
Download CoconutBattery

It will show you a comparison to it's 'Original capacity' and it 'Current capacity'. The lower it is, the worse off your battery is.

Nice, I seemed to have overlooked this handy little utility. Thanks for posting it here.

mikelao
Nov 25, 2005, 02:45 AM
yup... i drained the battery using the steps in calibrating the battery but it didn't fix the problem. it's fully charged in about an hour or so, and then when i remove the plug to see how long it will last, it says around 23 minutes.

Will Cheyney
Nov 25, 2005, 03:33 AM
Yep, the battery is completely knackered. As it's so new, I'm guessing it's faulty... A lithium ion battery shouldn't loose it's charge like that.

Contact Apple and demand a replacement - you have the stats to prove it now :)

kbonnel
Nov 25, 2005, 03:34 AM
Yup, sounds like you got a dud battery. Bummer. At least it is under warranty, though that doesn't really make it less of a pain.

Kimo

mikelao
Nov 25, 2005, 10:07 AM
yeah -- it's good that it's under warranty. i bought it in the states and now i'm out of the country so i don't know if the apple authorized reseller here in my country will recognize my warranty.

thanks again for all your help!

psendeavor
Nov 27, 2005, 01:27 AM
Yup, sounds like you got a dud battery. Bummer. At least it is under warranty, though that doesn't really make it less of a pain.

There must be many more new PB battery failures around. Mine is down to 20 minutes of working time (650 mAh or so). I've been waiting for 14 (FOURTEEN) days for my new battery to arrive through my local Apple dealer. According to the tech, "many" more replacement batteries for the new PB are on order, with no indication whatsoever of an arrival date....

Peter

kbonnel
Nov 27, 2005, 06:04 AM
There must be many more new PB battery failures around. Mine is down to 20 minutes of working time (650 mAh or so). I've been waiting for 14 (FOURTEEN) days for my new battery to arrive through my local Apple dealer. According to the tech, "many" more replacement batteries for the new PB are on order, with no indication whatsoever of an arrival date....

Peter

This might be due to the fact that there was a recall on PB batteries, something about them catching fire or something like that. It is on the apple.com website.

Kimo

Tangarine
Dec 4, 2005, 09:35 AM
The battery on my PowerBook G4 has died suddenly. CoconutBattery tells me that its current charge is 0 but maximum charge is 3170 mAh as well as current battery capacity is 3710 mAh. The other information it provides is battery-loadcycles 286, age of Mac 35 months, charger connected yes, and battery is charging no. I have tried two chargers, and even though the LED turns orange, the battery no longer will take a charge. The LED indicator on the battery itself indicates discharged. The battery status at the top of the screen never changes from "calculating". And if I remove the power supply, the system powers down. All of this is consistent with a battery that's no longer operational, and I'm not complaining since I got three years out of it.

My question is . . . is there anything I can do to "goose" this relic back to life? I've got nothing to lose at this point. I remember that there used to be tricks you could use to revive NiCad batteries, but my knowledge ends there.

By the way, to answer someone earlier in the thread . . . the cost of a new battery for a PowerBook is about $150.

Kurpmonster
Dec 21, 2005, 12:06 AM
I just read this thread trying to figure out why my battery quits charging when it gets to 33%. Tried PMU reset, and reclaibrated the battery. No luck. It was working great until I ran this bit of code in Terminal to check the battery:

ioreg -l -w0 | grep -i IOBatteryInfo

After the check, it gave the data and then my battery went from 75% full (started the day at 96%) to 0% instaneously. Then my machine went to sleep. I plugged in the ac and charged it, but it would only reach 30-33% and sticks in "calculating" mode. Seems like somehow the battery info was reset in a way that I can not see or use the full charge. Any ideas on how to salvage this battery? It is old but barely used and was calibrated when new.

Here is the latest battery info, seems like it should be ok except that the Current is 1119 (near 33% of the Capacity 3344) and the battery will not charge anymore.

ioreg -l -w 0 | grep IOBatteryInfo
| | | "IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=3344,"Amperage"=0,"Cycle Count"=17,"Current"=1119,"Voltage"=16282,"Flags"=838860805,"AbsoluteMaxCapacity"=3600})

deputy_doofy
Dec 22, 2005, 12:28 PM
I just read this thread trying to figure out why my battery quits charging when it gets to 33%. Tried PMU reset, and reclaibrated the battery. No luck. It was working great until I ran this bit of code in Terminal to check the battery:

ioreg -l -w0 | grep -i IOBatteryInfo

After the check, it gave the data and then my battery went from 75% full (started the day at 96%) to 0% instaneously. Then my machine went to sleep. I plugged in the ac and charged it, but it would only reach 30-33% and sticks in "calculating" mode. Seems like somehow the battery info was reset in a way that I can not see or use the full charge. Any ideas on how to salvage this battery? It is old but barely used and was calibrated when new.

Here is the latest battery info, seems like it should be ok except that the Current is 1119 (near 33% of the Capacity 3344) and the battery will not charge anymore.

ioreg -l -w 0 | grep IOBatteryInfo
| | | "IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=3344,"Amperage"=0,"Cycle Count"=17,"Current"=1119,"Voltage"=16282,"Flags"=838860805,"AbsoluteMaxCapacity"=3600})

This is exactly what my Powerbook 12" does. I've had it since Nov. 2003. It will slowly drop from 99% to about 70-80%, then immediately to 0 - do not pass go, do not collect $100.

When it "recharges," it gets to about 25-30%, followed by "calculating," followed by "100%." Either my battery is seriously confused or seriously dead.

lucab1982
Dec 30, 2005, 11:15 AM
My battery was working fine until I reinstalled Tiger and updated to 10.4.3 now I have the 20 minute problem!!!

The strangest thing is the data from CoconutBattery and Terminal, Check this out!!!

pbook:~ luca$ ioreg -l -w0 | grep -i IOBatteryInfo
| | | "IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=24350,"Amperage"=18446744073709550358,"Cycle Count"=222,"Current"=23962,"Voltage"=14730,"Flags"=4,"AbsoluteMaxCapacity"=4200})
| | | | "IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=24350,"Amperage"=18446744073709550358,"Cycle Count"=222,"Current"=23962,"Voltage"=14730,"Flags"=4,"AbsoluteMaxCapacity"=4200})

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!! ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

wasimyaqoob
Dec 30, 2005, 12:04 PM
Just buy a new one :)

lucab1982
Dec 30, 2005, 01:31 PM
It was charging fine until I reinstalled the OS and now I don't know why it is doing this! I am really reluctant to buy a new one, It just seems that it is a software problem:

Current Battery Charge: 23582 mAh
Maximum Batterh Charge: 24350 mAh

Current Battery Capacity: 24350 mAh
Original Battery Capacity: 4200 mAh

nuts!

dorqiekat
Dec 30, 2005, 11:47 PM
Download CoconutBattery

My pb is about the same age as yours and is at about 90% current capacity. How long is the battery expected to last in "good" quality? How often should you replace the battery? Every 2-3 years?

I kinda hoped that I didn't need to buy or replace anything... but I already got a busted charger on the list (at least that was covered in the warranty).

lucab1982
Dec 31, 2005, 05:35 AM
This powerbook had a new battery about a year ago and only since my last re-installation of Tiger has it played up. I have tried the reset-nvram and all the other recommendations but nothing seems to change. From what coconut says it seems that it is a software issue as it is stating it's capacity has increased which is physically impossible.

Further to that software problem, my battery meter in the top right hand corner never states anything less than 100%

I am going to make an appointment with a mac Genius at the Bluewater branch, I am really unhappy with this situation.

lucab1982
Jan 4, 2006, 07:53 PM
I can't seem to find the Titanium Powerbook G4 Battery on the UK Apple Store? Seems like they have removed it from sale, has anyone else noticed this or has any information on them removing it from sale?

Luca

.Andy
Jan 4, 2006, 08:00 PM
My pb is about the same age as yours and is at about 90% current capacity. How long is the battery expected to last in "good" quality? How often should you replace the battery? Every 2-3 years?

I kinda hoped that I didn't need to buy or replace anything... but I already got a busted charger on the list (at least that was covered in the warranty).
I've gone through about a battery every 18 months. Pretty quick although I use the battery a couple of times everyday.

One of my Apple guru friends swears on buying a new battery for his powerbooks every time he upgrades his O.S. Kind of pointless but it seems to make him happy...

lucab1982
Jan 4, 2006, 08:14 PM
I've gone through about a battery every 18 months. Pretty quick although I use the battery a couple of times everyday.

One of my Apple guru friends swears on buying a new battery for his powerbooks every time he upgrades his O.S. Kind of pointless but it seems to make him happy...

Well I was getting 2 hours of life out of mine before my last reinstall of Tiger and now I only get half an hour. Admittedly it is gradually getting better as I cycle it but it looks like the software is messed up, Coconut battery shows it continuously as 222 cycles when I am trying to get it working now.

I don't know if it is the laptop that is malfunctioning or the way the laptop charges it. Is there a way to tell?

popsandfriends
Jan 4, 2006, 08:39 PM
Put the battery in the freezer, in a ziplock bag for like 24 hours, take it out and let it settle down to room temp. and wait for the condensation to dissapate. Plug it in and charge it up, then let it drain, then charge it up....should work, no **** i did this with my powerbook battery and it went from holding a 5% charge to a 100% charge

dorqiekat
Jan 5, 2006, 01:05 AM
popsandfriends, are you kidding? I could really takes things seriously around here. it's not fair to jerk me around. was it ibook or pb battery?

mad jew
Jan 5, 2006, 01:12 AM
Refrigerating batteries is a pretty common myth/technique to get back a bit of charge. I wouldn't recommend it for a laptop battery plus results vary. Usually a battery gets back a slight amount of charge from simply being left alone (unplugged). It's nothing major and this is probably the same thing people who refrigerate batteries get.

In short, cooling a battery won't help. :)

DerChef
Jan 5, 2006, 10:16 AM
something I often wondered about to keep you Powerbook battery in good nick is to boot into single user mode once in a while and let it slowly drain, so it brings the battery right down to very low levels before a recharge (i.e no OS based energy saving stuff to stick it into sleep mode) ?

I did similar things with PC notebooks

Tangarine
Jan 7, 2006, 10:07 AM
I read the poppycock about putting the battery in the freezer and decided to try it. "Nothing to lose" I thought. I was wrong.

The technique didn't work. The frozen/thawed batter won't take a charge.

Worse, apparently in the process of swapping it with a good battery, my power-management circuit has been fried. When I put the good battery back in, the display toggles between "charged", "charging, 20 minutes remain", and "no battery". I cannot calibrate because as soon as I remove the charger, the system powers down. Not sleep. Power down.

The battery is correctly inserted. There are no bent pins. CoconutBattery shows a power-management system that's as confused as the display indicates.

I'm basically screwed. Serves me right for believing anything I read here.

lucab1982
Jan 7, 2006, 10:39 AM
What does coconutbattery say?

I am trying to figure out whether it is my PMU that has been fried or if it is the battery that is causing problems. Am going to go to the AppleStore in London on Sunday to resolve this ongoing problem.

mad jew
Jan 7, 2006, 07:17 PM
Tangarine, I'm sorry to hear that. It might be a good idea to wait for others to back up radical ideas such as placing computer components in the freezer before actually doing it, although I guess you've worked that out the hard way. Please don't lose faith in the boards, every now and then there's some good advice floating around here. :)

How long ago did you put the good battery in? Is there a chance some of the internal components of the laptop are still wet? Have you tried resetting the PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449)? :)

Tangarine
Jan 7, 2006, 07:18 PM
>> What does coconutbattery say?

Was that question directed at me?

CoconutBattery is consistent with the display in the top bar. It indicates that the battery is "almost charged", or charged, or not there. These indications alternate in about a ten minute cycle when the charger is plugged in.

It's almost like there is a bent pin in the battery connector except that it does seem to work for a few minutes at a time. Something in the hardware or software is shutting down (not sleeping) the system even though the battery is fully charged. "The battery is fully charged" is based on the LED display on the battery itself.

I live hundreds of miles from the nearest Apple store. I wish that was an alternative for me.

Tangarine
Jan 7, 2006, 07:37 PM
> Tangarine, I'm sorry to hear that. It might be a good idea to wait for others
> to back up radical ideas such as placing computer components in the
> freezer before actually doing it, although I guess you've worked that out
> the hard way. Please don't lose faith in the boards, every now and then
> there's some good advice floating around here.

While your advice seems good, there are a couple of major flaws. First, there's no way that a reader can gauge if an idea is "radical" or not. And second, it seems that there is almost always someone who is willing to validate a scheme, no matter how ridiculous, so it's not unusual for "others to back up" even the most ridiculous ideas.

The real issue in my mind is the analysis of risk/reward. I assumed (and we all know what that means) that there was minimal risk of trying this. I mean, after all, it doesn't cost me anything to put the battery in a baggie and freeze it. And one would think that there would be no potential damage to swapping the battery back into the laptop . . . after all, that's where it came from. But seems I was wrong about the robustness of the PMU.

> How long ago did you put the good battery in? Is there a chance some
> of the internal components of the laptop are still wet? Have you tried
> resetting the PMU?

Not sure about the "still wet" reference. But the good news is that I went to the article you referenced about resetting the PMU, followed the instructions, and so far everything appears back to normal. It's probably too early to say that for sure, but I want desperately to believe it.

So a suggestion on a discussion board rescuses me from an idea that was in a post to a discussion board. Works for me.

As an aside . . . resetting the PMU on a PowerBook is done by shutting down the system, removing BOTH the battery and the charger, then holding down the power key for five seconds. What I don't understand is how, if there is NO power available to the unit, doing anything to it could have an effect. I have to assume that somewhere there's a keepalive battery that responded to my pushing the power button for five seconds.

Ah yes . . . Apple hardware/software is a remarkable thing.

mad jew
Jan 7, 2006, 07:55 PM
I'm glad things are looking up for you Tangarine. I've got a good feeling about that PMU reset. The fact you kept the battery in a bag is good because a naked battery in a freezer would have become very wet and possibly short circuited (destroyed) any laptop it made contact with.

I'm fully aware that my argument is flawed because it's hard to tell how serious people are when they recommend solutions on these boards but there's not much we can do about it.

I suppose some good has come of this in that people will now know not to put batteries in the freezer. :)

FWIW, popsandfriends is a newbie according to this board and whilst that only means a lack of posts, it's sometimes a good idea to take a newbies advice a little light-heartedly. Of course, that's definitely not always the case, there are many newbies out there with brilliant advice so this argument remains pretty flawed. :o

Tangarine
Jan 8, 2006, 08:04 AM
As what I assume will be the last followup for me in this thread, I just want to report that all is well after reseting the PMU. Battery management has returned to normal. I am going to discharge the battery down to sleep time to calibrate things, just for good measure, but all the other trauma has ceased.

I still am in awe that a piece of equipment with no power -- charger or battery -- was capable of responding to my input [pressing the power key]. Like many things in this business, the solution was trivial once it was known.

popsandfriends
Jan 8, 2006, 10:40 AM
I'm glad things are looking up for you Tangarine. I've got a good feeling about that PMU reset. The fact you kept the battery in a bag is good because a naked battery in a freezer would have become very wet and possibly short circuited (destroyed) any laptop it made contact with.

I'm fully aware that my argument is flawed because it's hard to tell how serious people are when they recommend solutions on these boards but there's not much we can do about it.

I suppose some good has come of this in that people will now know not to put batteries in the freezer. :)

FWIW, popsandfriends is a newbie according to this board and whilst that only means a lack of posts, it's sometimes a good idea to take a newbies advice a little light-heartedly. Of course, that's definitely not always the case, there are many newbies out there with brilliant advice so this argument remains pretty flawed. :o

Very flawed. I got this freezer info from an apple service tech btw. I actually let my battery lay in the freezer for one week, then took it out and let it heat back up to room temp, wiped off the condensation and let dry, and when I put it back in it started charging...this is not a joke trust me. The other battery however was dead from the start so the freezer trick didnt work. Also, lack of posts on this board means nothing....I have a bunch of posts on other well known forums (Neowin, Aqua-Soft, etc)

mad jew
Jan 8, 2006, 05:26 PM
popsandfriends, I highly doubt an Apple tech would recommend putting a battery in the freezer to fix it. Help is always appreciated around here but for the sake of actual newbies' batteries, please don't stand by this technique. I'm glad it worked for you though. :)

mjstew33
Mar 18, 2006, 10:25 PM
popsandfriends, I highly doubt an Apple tech would recommend putting a battery in the freezer to fix it.
I actually do believe Apple tech told them to put it in the freezer. They don't know there ass from a whole in the ground.

:rolleyes:

Warbrain
Mar 18, 2006, 10:37 PM
Any person who thinks that it's a smart idea to put a battery in a freezer doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. The electrons are going to become almost totally stationary in the battery and could possibly ruin the battery.

Honestly, if this is even a step in fixing a battery, then that's pretty f'd up.