PDA

View Full Version : Very disappointed

charliecc
Sep 11, 2013, 04:57 AM
Don't get me wrong, there's no way in hell I'd buy an iPhone at the moment, they're way too far behind the curve (they wouldn't event make the top 10 best handsets), but I was hoping they would come up with something here to put some pressure on the other players.

The finger print thingy looks quite cool, but apart from that it's just the same old camera bump and processor increase with an outdated OS.

Sure it'll still sell in droves as the brainwashed will lap it up, but IMO it's very disappointing. Why would anyone buy the iPhone when you can get a Nexus for less than a 1/3 of the price and it's a better device, the world's gone crazy.

And yes, I know we owe where we are now to the iPhone, I owned the 3, 3GS and the 4, Android copied it shamelessly, but we are where we are, and now Apple is a follower and not a leader.

Aussi3
Sep 11, 2013, 05:17 AM
I'm happy to get the 5s as soon as it comes out, I think it's a good upgrade from my 4s and everyone watch every single of the androids will now be coming out with fingerprint scanners lol! Oh but iPhone isn't leader of the pack! They all just follow though. Motorola's failed their attempt at fingerprint last time lets see how they go on their second attempt

How is the iPhone not in the top 10 of the smartphones? Explain?

Applefan4
Sep 11, 2013, 05:21 AM
Well, I always skipped the "S" versions of iPhones and it looks like I am not making a mistake this time. Very happy with my iPhone 5, to me it's still the best smartphone on the market. I'll get the 6, because Apple normally doesn't disappoint when releasing new generation phones. The "S" series seem a bit gimmicky to me. Siri was alright, but not that essential to my experience. I suspect the finger printing won't be be either. My iPhone pretty much contains everything important, from online banking to work stuff and I never had a security problem.

Lerxt
Sep 11, 2013, 05:22 AM
Don't get me wrong, there's no way in hell I'd buy an iPhone at the moment, they're way too far behind the curve (they wouldn't event make the top 10 best handsets), but I was hoping they would come up with something here to put some pressure on the other players.

The finger print thingy looks quite cool, but apart from that it's just the same old camera bump and processor increase with an outdated OS.

Sure it'll still sell in droves as the brainwashed will lap it up, but IMO it's very disappointing. Why would anyone buy the iPhone when you can get a Nexus for less than a 1/3 of the price and it's a better device, the world's gone crazy.

And yes, I know we owe where we are now to the iPhone, I owned the 3, 3GS and the 4, Android copied it shamelessly, but we are where we are, and now Apple is a follower and not a leader.

This was a sponsored segment by Samsung. Samsung - Copying design from phones to vacuum cleaners.

charliecc
Sep 11, 2013, 05:23 AM

Sorry, I didn't phrase that correctly, I meant my top 10 smartphones. There are at least 10 other phones I'd buy before an iPhone. I genuinely believe they are all better than the iPhone, but again this is personal preference.

Italianblend
Sep 11, 2013, 05:27 AM
Don't get me wrong, there's no way in hell I'd buy an iPhone at the moment, they're way too far behind the curve (they wouldn't event make the top 10 best handsets)

:confused: at the keynote yesterday, the guy said this was the best phone on the market.

NickPhamUK
Sep 11, 2013, 05:32 AM
5S is a good upgrade.

5C is a big fail though (yes, the price).

maflynn
Sep 11, 2013, 05:34 AM
If you own the 4S, the 5S is a big upgrade. If you own a 5, its a evolutionary step up.

Since many people (at least here in the US) go with subsidized phones every two years this phone is mainly geared towards those folks. That his the 5S is for the 4S people.

Spacial
Sep 11, 2013, 05:36 AM
5S is a good upgrade.

I agree, it is a good upgrade, yet most of it is copied from Android, proving once again how hypocrisy reigns supreme at Apple.

Sadly Apple continues to play catch up, a foreign task for them.

charliecc
Sep 11, 2013, 05:36 AM
:confused: at the keynote yesterday, the guy said this was the best phone on the market.

:) I think they probably repeat that in the nausea inducing promo vids they've now released, they are very cringeworthy. Just listen to the first 30 secs of this one (30 secs is all I could manage), http://www.apple.com/iphone-5c/videos/#video-product. Classic bollox. "It's more essential", really!! It looks like a parody of an Apple video..

CEmajr
Sep 11, 2013, 05:43 AM
You seriously think the Nexus is better than the iPhone? You're entitled to your personal preference but don't try to and pass it off as some sort of fact. I don't see anything particularly that makes it so far ahead of the iPhone. Poor battery life, poor camera, no LTE, limited to 16gb storage, and what is in my opinion an inferior operating system.

swerve147
Sep 11, 2013, 05:44 AM
Well, I always skipped the "S" versions of iPhones and it looks like I am not making a mistake this time. Very happy with my iPhone 5, to me it's still the best smartphone on the market. I'll get the 6, because Apple normally doesn't disappoint when releasing new generation phones. The "S" series seem a bit gimmicky to me. Siri was alright, but not that essential to my experience. I suspect the finger printing won't be be either. My iPhone pretty much contains everything important, from online banking to work stuff and I never had a security problem.

The two usage scenarios I like with the fingerprint sensor is not having to repeatedly enter my passcode to unlock the phone and to enter my iTunes password when making App Store purchases. It's a huge convenience, but I agree the iPhone isn't really unsecure to begin with as long as you're responsible.

In and of itself, definitely not worth a brand new phone purchase.

charliecc
Sep 11, 2013, 05:51 AM
what is in my opinion an inferior operating system.

Well this is the major issue. I'll conceed the iPhone has a better camera, although not that much better to bother me that much, and true it doesn't have LTE, but LTE is pointless if you've got a decent 3G connection. A decent 3G connection is fine for what most people do on a mobile phone, don't let the marketeers convince you otherwise.

However, I'd have to personally disagree with the OS statement. Android is miles ahead of iOS IMO.

KenAFSPC
Sep 11, 2013, 05:53 AM

It sounds like your definition of a "better phone" is directly tied to a larger screen. Aside from the screen size, very few Android devices can match, much less best, the iPhone 5S hardware. The iPhone 5S has:

1. One of the fastest CPUs -- faster than Nexus
2. The fastest GPU -- much, much faster than Nexus
3. The best camera in real world use -- much better than Nexus
4. Among the best battery life of any phone in actual, real world usage -- much better than Nexus
5. Fingerprint sensor for security -- not available on Nexus

I see another poster already mentioned the lack of LTE on the Nexus. Drop from 60Mbps with AT&T LTE on the iPhone to 4-10Mbps with AT&T HSPA+ on the Nexus? No thanks!

As for the OS, if you haven't used IOS7 then you are not qualified to make Android vs. IOS comparisons.

mattopotamus
Sep 11, 2013, 06:01 AM
You seriously think the Nexus is better than the iPhone? You're entitled to your personal preference but don't try to and pass it off as some sort of fact. I don't see anything particularly that makes it so far ahead of the iPhone. Poor battery life, poor camera, no LTE, limited to 16gb storage, and what is in my opinion an inferior operating system.

from a hardware standpoint there is no comparison, but it is also currently $450 cheaper than the 5S

Steve121178
Sep 11, 2013, 06:09 AM
Don't get me wrong, there's no way in hell I'd buy an iPhone at the moment, they're way too far behind the curve (they wouldn't event make the top 10 best handsets)

What are these 10 better handsets that are so far ahead of the iPhone?

Cscottrun
Sep 11, 2013, 07:07 AM
The fingerprint scanner is just a gimmick, and a crappy one at that. We are basically in a two year cycle in regards to innovation from apple. Even the 5 was hardly innovative. They put a bigger screen and changed some internals. The rest of the phone looks exactly the same. The fact is, if most users, for example my brother or parents, picked up the 5s, they probably wouldn't even notice the difference in speed.

I own a 5, however i'll probably be skipping this update. Siri was a bigger draw to me then a fingerprint scanner.

the8thark
Sep 11, 2013, 07:17 AM
5S is a good upgrade.

I have to agree here 100%. The price will be the death of the 5C.

lympero
Sep 11, 2013, 07:19 AM
I was very disappointed as well but not anymore. Apple has decided to stick to 4 inch for another year and mayber for the next 2 models (6, 6s).

I wanted to return to apple (owned 3g 4, 4s) but I am not going to give them my money until I am perfectly satisfied with what I am buying. iPhone 5s is a superb device. The finger print sensor is a dream come true but I can't accept that tiny screen.

So I'll stick to android for this year and maybe the next 2 years as well. Until apple decides to give us a choice... A tiny 4" screen and a normal 5" screen. Then everybody will be happy.

Cscottrun
Sep 11, 2013, 07:22 AM
I was very disappointed as well but not anymore. Apple has decided to stick to 4 inch for another year and mayber for the next 2 models (6, 6s).

I wanted to return to apple (owned 3g 4, 4s) but I am not going to give them my money until I am perfectly satisfied with what I am buying. iPhone 5s is a superb device. The finger print sensor is a dream come true but I can't accept that tiny screen.

So I'll stick to android for this year and maybe the next 2 years as well. Until apple decides to give us a choice... A tiny 4" screen and a normal 5" screen. Then everybody will be happy.

Thats a dream come true? It barely does anything more then unlock the phone. You would think they would have worked with banks or something along those lines to incorporate it into apps. Or put a restriction on an app where you can't use it without scanning (photos or text messages).

cynics
Sep 11, 2013, 07:25 AM
It sounds like your definition of a "better phone" is directly tied to a larger screen. Aside from the screen size, very few Android devices can match, much less best, the iPhone 5S hardware. The iPhone 5S has:

1. One of the fastest CPUs -- faster than Nexus
2. The fastest GPU -- much, much faster than Nexus
3. The best camera in real world use -- much better than Nexus
4. Among the best battery life of any phone in actual, real world usage -- much better than Nexus
5. Fingerprint sensor for security -- not available on Nexus

I see another poster already mentioned the lack of LTE on the Nexus. Drop from 60Mbps with AT&T LTE on the iPhone to 4-10Mbps with AT&T HSPA+ on the Nexus? No thanks!

As for the OS, if you haven't used IOS7 then you are not qualified to make Android vs. IOS comparisons.

If you pick and choose only the iPhones pros then of course it's a better phone.

Anyone could come up with a list of things that are more important. I'm not a Nexus owner nor have I ever been one but I could say.

Wireless charging, not available on the iPhone

NFC, not available on the iPhone

Larger screen, not available on the iPhone

More ram...this falls under random specs like the A7

And anything it lacks? Well then you have it's ace in the hole. It's less then half the price of an iPhone. Which I might add is something I was really hoping Apple would do with the 5C. A no contract cheap smartphone sold direct from Apple. Oh well, a boy can dream right?

chrono1081
Sep 11, 2013, 07:27 AM

Wow someone is a bit snarky.

Has it ever occurred to you that some people like the iPhone? Nexus is garbage in my opinion compared to the iPhone but I don't go around touting it as fact and calling people who don't like it "brainwashed".

Some people don't care about specs and prefer user experience. Some people like the quality of apps better on iOS than Android. Some people liking having their phone sync with their computer and iPad effortlessly.

It's fine if you're "very dissapointed" but don't be rude about it and chastise those who like the new iPhone.

jedolley
Sep 11, 2013, 07:29 AM
However, I'd have to personally disagree with the OS statement. Android is miles ahead of iOS IMO.

Android is a solid operating system, but it's definitely not "miles ahead". As someone that supports multiple mobile OS on a daily basis, I can say (cliche as it is) that they all have the strength and weaknesses.

To some Android seems like a more robust OS because it gives you options to change more settings and runs similarly to a desktop OS. iOS has those same features, but just does not give you access to all of them, which in some cases is a good thing. For example, my brother recently got a Galaxy S4 and the first weekend he had it he was complaining about idle battery drain. Granted he had not had the chance to mess with any of the settings and download and useful apps, this was his out of the box experience. My iPhone 5 out the box, hardly has any battery drain while idle. My brother will be able to resolve that issue after some setting changes and maybe getting a few apps, but IMO that should not be necessary.

As for iOS copying Android... You have to keep in mind that Apple releases a new iPhone every 12 months or so. Also keep in mind that the features that end up in that iPhone have been in development for months if not years before release. On the Android front, there are 5-10 releases a month (possible exaggeration) from different manufacturers, but when people use the Android argument, they are usually rolling all these device ideas into one super Android phone in regards to their argument vs. iOS. If the iPhone has a similar feature of a device that was released last month, or two months ago, then they more than likely did not "copy" it. That phone just released first, period.

andiwm2003
Sep 11, 2013, 07:37 AM

That shows you how different customers expectations are. I delay upgrading from my 4S as long as possible because I don't like those huge screens. 3 inch or 3.5 inch is perfect. 4 inch is too large. 5 inch is a tablet, not a phone.

James717
Sep 11, 2013, 07:56 AM
5S is a good upgrade.

Agreed.

If people want plastic, they'd go for Samsung (the IN-product for young kids)

If people want IOS, well, it's reported that over 70% (being generous) are using
android, so...

If people want iPhone, they'd go for the 5S.

:apple:

----------

Wow someone is a bit snarky.

Has it ever occurred to you that some people like the iPhone? Nexus is garbage in my opinion compared to the iPhone but I don't go around touting it as fact and calling people who don't like it "brainwashed".

Some people don't care about specs and prefer user experience. Some people like the quality of apps better on iOS than Android. Some people liking having their phone sync with their computer and iPad effortlessly.

It's fine if you're "very dissapointed" but don't be rude about it and chastise those who like the new iPhone.

Nexus isn't a phone.

nexus is a tablet good for Android games, great for watching videos or movies, and excellent for browsing web and reading netbooks.

For that price, Nexus is excellent deal.

Of course, if you want Apps and a brand name, then iPad or iPad mini is for you.

Can't say anything bad about Nexus, man. Try it and you'll be impressed. For that price, you'd have to be. Seriously, try it out.

Apple rocks. But, at a price.

Brittany246
Sep 11, 2013, 07:57 AM
The Nexus isn't a better phone in my opinion. I'm not sure why you stated that as if it's a fact. There's way more to a phone than just specs. For what I use my phone for, the iPhone is best. I could not care less about crazy customization or widgets. I have a Nexus 7, and I don't even look at the widgets on my screen. The only thing the Nexus has that I want is NFC and a larger screen. That's about it.

I use a lot of apps, and the app selection is better in the itunes app store (especially with games). Also, setting up a brand new iPhone exactly the way you want it is as easy as logging into iCloud, and app progress is the same as on your old phone. Things are just way easier with iOS. You don't have to waste time getting things to work well... they just do.

juswest
Sep 11, 2013, 08:02 AM
The Nexus isn't a better phone in my opinion. I'm not sure why you stated that as if it's a fact. There's way more to a phone than just specs. For what I use my phone for, the iPhone is best. I could not care less about crazy customization or widgets. I have a Nexus 7, and I don't even look at the widgets on my screen. The only thing the Nexus has that I want is NFC and a larger screen. That's about it.

I use a lot of apps, and the app selection is better in the itunes app store (especially with games). Also, setting up a brand new iPhone exactly the way you want it is as easy as logging into iCloud, and app progress is the same as on your old phone. Things are just way easier with iOS. You don't have to waste time getting things to work well... they just do.

People have really got to stop using this ridiculous line. I bought a Moto X, and within minutes had all my old stuff on the phone. It just worked. If you prefer iOS fine, but stop making it seem like other phones take advanced physics equations to work. If so nobody would own anything other than an iPhone.

syd430
Sep 11, 2013, 08:02 AM
Not sure what all the confusion is. As the OP has pointed out, the only reason anyone would buy a 5S is because the buyer is psychologically disturbed. Clearly OP has applied the universally accepted Phone Goodness Scale© and found that the Nexus 4 has a score of 10,000 Goodness Per Inch, whereas the iPhone 5S comes in at a paltry 200 Goodness Per Inch. This proves that the Nexus 4 is scientifically better than the iPhone 5S, making any purchase of a 5S objectively irrational. Hope this clears it up.

Brittany246
Sep 11, 2013, 08:05 AM
People have really got to stop using this ridiculous line. I bought a Moto X, and within minutes had all my old stuff on the phone. It just worked. If you prefer iOS fine, but stop making it seem like other phones take advanced physics equations to work. If so nobody would own anything other than an iPhone.

Yeah, good for you. It's not the same with my Nexus 7, and I don't expect it to be the same with the Nexus 4 which is why I said that. There have been many times where I had to wipe my Nexus 7, and I had to start completely over. You have to root your tablet or phone in order to do the same thing as with the iPhone or iPad. I'm comparing the iPhone with a Nexus device, obviously. I honestly don't care about your moto x.

daneoni
Sep 11, 2013, 08:07 AM
How condescending. So everyone who buys an iPhone is 'brainwashed'. There's no possibility that they actually like the product?

These forums have really gone downhill.

zedzded
Sep 11, 2013, 08:14 AM

Well there's way more to a phone than just software. It's all very well getting exciting about how amazing IOS is, but there's not much point having an amazing camera app if you have a $h!tty camera on the end of it is there?

Glen Quagmire
Sep 11, 2013, 08:15 AM

So, an operating system that hasn't even been released yet is out of date?

Are you serious?

juswest
Sep 11, 2013, 08:16 AM
Yeah, good for you. It's not the same with my Nexus 7, and I don't expect it to be the same with the Nexus 4 which is why I said that. There have been many times where I had to wipe my Nexus 7, and I had to start completely over. You have to root your tablet or phone in order to do the same thing as with the iPhone or iPad. I'm comparing the iPhone with a Nexus device, obviously. I honestly don't care about your moto x.

Wiping a device and starting completely over isn't a Nexus issue. I had to do the same thing when I owned an iPhone. I talk to people daily and have to direct them to the Genius Bar for various reasons. Both products come with issues. My point was regarding the idea that one product just worked. It's such a ******** statement. Considering that you're on a board where people frequently seek solutions to problems, and the existence of the Genius Bar. If it just worked the Genius Bar folks would need new jobs.

You don't have to care about my Moto X. Won't ask you to.

Random 995K
Sep 11, 2013, 08:25 AM
Not sure what all the confusion is. As the OP has pointed out, the only reason anyone would buy a 5S is because the buyer is psychologically disturbed. Clearly OP has applied the universally accepted Phone Goodness Scale© and found that the Nexus 4 has a score of 10,000 Goodness Per Inch, whereas the iPhone 5S comes in at a paltry 200 Goodness Per Inch. This proves that the Nexus 4 is scientifically better than the iPhone 5S, making any purchase of a 5S objectively irrational. Hope this clears it up.

xD

Brittany246
Sep 11, 2013, 08:26 AM
Wiping a device and starting completely over isn't a Nexus issue. I had to do the same thing when I owned an iPhone. I talk to people daily and have to direct them to the Genius Bar for various reasons. Both products come with issues. My point was regarding the idea that one product just worked. It's such a ******** statement. Considering that you're on a board where people frequently seek solutions to problems, and the existence of the Genius Bar. If it just worked the Genius Bar folks would need new jobs.

You don't have to care about my Moto X. Won't ask you to.

Ok, so when did you own an iPhone? Did you not have iCloud or something? OBVIOUSLY there are going to be issues with any phone. I never said the iPhone had no issues. I'll say whatever I want. It'd be nice if you'd stop crying about it. Thank you.

----------

Well there's way more to a phone than just software. It's all very well getting exciting about how amazing IOS is, but there's not much point having an amazing camera app if you have a $h!tty camera on the end of it is there?

How is the camera ******?

juswest
Sep 11, 2013, 08:28 AM
[QUOTE=Brittany246;17872579]Ok, so when did you own an iPhone? Did you not have iCloud or something? OBVIOUSLY there are going to be issues with any phone. I never said the iPhone had no issues. I'll say whatever I want. It'd be nice if you'd stop crying about it. Thank you.[COLOR="#808080"]

HAHA..No thank you.

Kariya
Sep 11, 2013, 08:40 AM

Q. F. T.

Never mind that the Nexus 4 throttles CPU/GPU performance as soon as you do anything remotely intensive, or that the screen isn't properly calibrated unless you hack it, or that the battery life is average at best, or that the camera is virtually worthless, or that it doesn't have LTE.

But lets not mention those. It runs Android...and that automagically solves/trumps everything else. :rolleyes:

Outrigger
Sep 11, 2013, 08:56 AM
and true it doesn't have LTE, but LTE is pointless if you've got a decent 3G connection. A decent 3G connection is fine for what most people do on a mobile phone, don't let the marketeers convince you otherwise.

did you seriously just wrote LTE is pointless if you've got a decent 3G connection, in 2013? I love how you downplay the weakness of a product that you, an individual likes. I'm going to cancel my fiber optic internet connection because its pointless since my old 14.4kbps dial up modem works as well.

if you love your android, thats fine, but seriously don't pass up your opinion for facts. its like an a$shole, everyone has one.

zedzded
Sep 11, 2013, 09:10 AM
Ok, so when did you own an iPhone? Did you not have iCloud or something? OBVIOUSLY there are going to be issues with any phone. I never said the iPhone had no issues. I'll say whatever I want. It'd be nice if you'd stop crying about it. Thank you.

----------

How is the camera ******?

Was that rhetorical? The camera on the 5S is behind the competition. It has no image stabilization for stills, the only image stabilization it has is digital and that's for videos, no xenon flash, more low light issues, it still has not resolved the issues with the panoramic mode which is just a mess and needs a surgeons hand to ensure accurate pictures are taken, I could go on, but you've probably got my point.

jreuschl
Sep 11, 2013, 09:13 AM
Both OS have flaws. I have an iPad and a Note II. I will not consider an Android tablet because the screen aspect ratio of the iPad makes sense and I much prefer it over an Android tablet for that reason alone.

On my iPad, my mail app consistently is unresponsive, and Safari can close by itself (crash) at random. On my Note II, I had to use an app to freeze Facebook because it was still grabbing data in the background even though all auto sync was set to off. (though I don't think anyone thinks the iOS version of FB is perfect, either) Updating one of the Samsung apps (Don't use them) also was causing background battery drain.

So, neither are perfect. Apple should get with the times and offer a larger screen phone (Not necessarily Note II size.. even I admit that is too large sometimes). That doesn't mean they have to discontinue the 4" for those that prefer that. They need to think to themselves... We have some iPhone users that are now converting to Android. What will it take for some Android users to switch to iOS?

lympero
Sep 11, 2013, 09:13 AM
That shows you how different customers expectations are. I delay upgrading from my 4S as long as possible because I don't like those huge screens. 3 inch or 3.5 inch is perfect. 4 inch is too large. 5 inch is a tablet, not a phone.

Have you ever used a galaxy s4 (5 inch)? I remember when i was watching the galaxy s3 event with my wife and we both laugh when we heard the screen size (4.8 inches). Eventually i got it after the laughable tall screen of iphone 5 and now my wife uses my s3 and i got a s4.

Now i cant even imagine using a phone with a screen less than 4.7. Galaxy s3 and s4 have the perfect form factor. They are slim, lightweight and i can use them with one hand with no problems at all. (the back button placed near my thumb is helping a lot).

Anyway if i could have the s4 form factor with IOS7 it would be great but i dont mind. Eventually apple will give us bigger screens...

AppleMrHan
Sep 11, 2013, 09:24 AM

Going to buy 5S.

I do not get people who talk about specs, comparing it to Android counterparts, like more RAM or higher resolution on a phone.

Human eye has limitations and we have already reached them (300 limit vs iPhone 4 326 ppi). So, in terms of display quality, Samsung phones are only bigger in size but not in quality. My iPhone 4 from a few years back has the same quality of picture as that of newest S4.

More RAM on Android? So what? Its all about operating system, stability and utilization of that memory. iPhone iOS is efficient with its use of RAM (1GB vs 4GB), I have no lag, everything loads extremely quickly, there is no slowdown. More RAM would only serve for bragging rights.

Quad core processor? Really, whats the purpose? Now, its octa-core? I have no idea why in the World would anyone need octa-core on their phone. My iPhone 4 dual core loads everything super fast. What kind of multitasking would require an octal-core on a phone? Again, only serves for bragging right mostly.

People talking about FULL HD on phone, really? Thats idiotic, I'm sorry, its a huge power drain, which is counterproductive to the PRIMARY purpose of a phone - to last for as long as it can without having to be re-charged.

Comparing hardware on phones is silly, we are way beyond the point where it matters. Even PC software is not optimized for quad core architecture, let alone octa core.

The only thing I wish Apple would do would be to have a version of iPhone with a bigger screen. However, its also debatable, as phones are becoming big to the point of not being portable, which is the other primary function of a phone.

iPhone hits on the biggest factors of the phone:
1. Best build quality
2. Built around longer battery life and portability
3. Display is sharp and vibrant - retina display
4. Best-in-business customer support and stores are everywhere

Apple was never in business of chasing spec war, which has gone out of hand.

Samsung is now its own enemy, as its devices are suffering from poor battery life, overheating, etc, just google it. They pack a lot of useless power-draining components that serve no purpose to anyone.

decafjava
Sep 11, 2013, 09:35 AM

Sure it'll still sell in droves as the brainwashed will lap it up,

Are you serious?

Haha no kidding, ios 7 is hardly out of date. Please leave with the brainwashed (and the "fanboy", "isheep", "fandroid" ) insults as well.

charliecc
Sep 11, 2013, 09:49 AM

Are you serious?

Yes, I've used it. It's still the locked down far too much.

----------

did you seriously just wrote LTE is pointless if you've got a decent 3G connection, in 2013? I love how you downplay the weakness of a product that you, an individual likes. I'm going to cancel my fiber optic internet connection because its pointless since my old 14.4kbps dial up modem works as well.

if you love your android, thats fine, but seriously don't pass up your opinion for facts. its like an a$shole, everyone has one.

I standby my statement. I would not make the decision on whether or not to get a smartphone based on whether it supports LTE or not.

The comparison to dial up and fibre is a stupid one.

If you have a decent 3G connection you're getting > 10Mbps. That's easily sufficient for almost all of the tasks you're ever going to need to perform on your smartphone. That covers HD video, so I'm not quite sure why someone would require a faster connection.

Sure your download will finish a little bit faster, but with an iPhone you're pretty much not allowed to download files anyway. Perhaps app updates will finish a few seconds earlier. Either way, LTE over a decent 3G connection is a very minor plus point.

Brittany246
Sep 11, 2013, 09:58 AM
Was that rhetorical? The camera on the 5S is behind the competition. It has no image stabilization for stills, the only image stabilization it has is digital and that's for videos, no xenon flash, more low light issues, it still has not resolved the issues with the panoramic mode which is just a mess and needs a surgeons hand to ensure accurate pictures are taken, I could go on, but you've probably got my point.

No, it wasn't rhetorical. The pictures on the iPhone 5 look fine to me when the lighting is good. Not sure about the 5S though.

----------

Yes, I've used it. It's still the locked down far too much.

So because it's locked down, it's out of date? K

BJonson
Sep 11, 2013, 10:03 AM
:) I think they probably repeat that in the nausea inducing promo vids they've now released, they are very cringeworthy. Just listen to the first 30 secs of this one (30 secs is all I could manage), http://www.apple.com/iphone-5c/videos/#video-product. Classic bollox. "It's more essential", really!! It looks like a parody of an Apple video..

Come on Jony Ive, put a new shirt on. He has gotten on my nerves with his BS. "Look at this terd, we crafted a perfect cylindrical shape and made it even more curved and the brown color was crafted after the most harmonious color of earth and hapiness. It's soft and the scent it gives off is an added bonus."

auero
Sep 11, 2013, 10:04 AM
delete

Wayfarer
Sep 11, 2013, 10:08 AM

How is iOS 7 outdated?

dvoros
Sep 11, 2013, 10:14 AM
Apple could have released a truly Awesome iPhone 5s yesterday by making it with a five inch screen. For those satisfied with their smaller screens, well there is the 4s and 5C. They really missed the boat by not presenting a WOW factor phone. What is wrong with the company?:(

----------

The iPhone 5s could have been an Awesome phone if it had a five inch screen. The 4s and 5C satisfy those still wanting a small screen. Apple missed the boat by not giving us a WOW factor phone. What is wrong with Apple these days?:confused:

Have you ever used a galaxy s4 (5 inch)? I remember when i was watching the galaxy s3 event with my wife and we both laugh when we heard the screen size (4.8 inches). Eventually i got it after the laughable tall screen of iphone 5 and now my wife uses my s3 and i got a s4.

Now i cant even imagine using a phone with a screen less than 4.7. Galaxy s3 and s4 have the perfect form factor. They are slim, lightweight and i can use them with one hand with no problems at all. (the back button placed near my thumb is helping a lot).

Anyway if i could have the s4 form factor with IOS7 it would be great but i dont mind. Eventually apple will give us bigger screens...

applesith
Sep 11, 2013, 10:24 AM
I standby my statement. I would not make the decision on whether or not to get a smartphone based on whether it supports LTE or not.

The comparison to dial up and fibre is a stupid one.

If you have a decent 3G connection you're getting > 10Mbps. That's easily sufficient for almost all of the tasks you're ever going to need to perform on your smartphone. That covers HD video, so I'm not quite sure why someone would require a faster connection.

Sure your download will finish a little bit faster, but with an iPhone you're pretty much not allowed to download files anyway. Perhaps app updates will finish a few seconds earlier. Either way, LTE over a decent 3G connection is a very minor plus point.

Thank you for defining what a faster connection means. That's why LTE is better. There is no comparison in streaming LTE and 3G. 3G crawls and HD quality isn't usually consistent. 3G streaming gets more of those sporadic fuzzy video periods when watching HD.

I use my data mostly during commute to work on a train. LTE can easily handle constant radio streaming in the background while I go through websites and download updates.

I do a lot of downloading hi-res images and high quality audio from my email on my phone and 3G can't handle that.

I guess 3G is sufficient for those who don't do much with their phone.

charliecc
Sep 11, 2013, 10:30 AM
I guess 3G is sufficient for those who don't do much with their phone.

I fully accept there are people out there for whom an LTE connection is great, but I expect you're in a very small minority where most people's needs are satisfied by a decent 3G connection.

Alx9876
Sep 11, 2013, 10:40 AM
I do not agree with the OP. Nothing was more disappointing as the iPhone 5.

The 5 (Not 5s) is nothing more than a 4s. Not literally but it was to conservative especially when at the time most of us were waiting for a 4.8 inch display.

After spending more than year using Samsung phones and disgusting Android, I am coming back to iPhone 5s.

The Android OS, Has the most mediocre horribly user experience I have ever used since Windows XP.

I do not see how anyone could reliably use Android as it can't even do basic functions like Notes, Email, Calendar syncs, and much much more.

It is awful. So complain all you will about the 5s it truly is the superior cell phone experience as of present.

Also you mentioned that iOS was out of date. You probably didn't see iOS7 yet based on what you said.

The iPhone 6 will probably be the big screen, nfc, game changer you are looking for. Until then I will settle in for the 5s.

Jimmy James
Sep 11, 2013, 11:46 AM
I understand that people prefer the Android OS.

I don't understand the hardware complaint. How is Android hardware better?

takeshi74
Sep 11, 2013, 12:44 PM
Why would anyone buy the iPhone when you can get a Nexus for less than a 1/3 of the price and it's a better device, the world's gone crazy.
Because better is always highly subjective and not everyone shops with price as a priority above all else. Never assume that your preferences and priorities are universal or else you'll always wonder "Why would anyone...?".

atlatnesiti
Sep 11, 2013, 01:02 PM
I understand that people prefer the Android OS.

I don't understand the hardware complaint. How is Android hardware better?
Not necessarily better, but offering many more choices and hardware configurations. Anything from small screen size to phablet, from dual core CPU's to quad, from 1GB of RAM to 4, from plastic to aluminium, from very cheap to expensive and everything in between...

Radiating
Sep 11, 2013, 01:07 PM

Actually Apple currently has the most powerful processor and the most powerful graphics processor in any phone by a factor of 1.5 and 8 respectively.

The nexus isn't a better device it doesn't even have LTE. The OS has far more integration than any other OS out there.

The iPhone also has the best screen on the market offering the most natural colors and tones of any phone as well as the highest quality construction.

Jimmy James
Sep 11, 2013, 02:02 PM
Not necessarily better, but offering many more choices and hardware configurations. Anything from small screen size to phablet, from dual core CPU's to quad, from 1GB of RAM to 4, from plastic to aluminium, from very cheap to expensive and everything in between...

A top spec Android phone in the 3.5 to 4" screen size could have lured me last year. No such hardware seemed to be available. For all the choice it seemed the smaller screened options weren't great phones. Is such a phone made now?

Now, I'm finding the Apple hardware so excellent it would be hard to leave. A 3.5" option would make it ideal. I guess my preferences are the reverse of the vocal minority on this forum.

Cscottrun
Sep 11, 2013, 02:29 PM
To quote cultofmac.com, "[t]he average consumer doesn’t care if their smartphone has a 64-bit processor, or a fancy “motion coprocessor” that handles specific tasks. They also won’t put in enough research to understand why the new and improved camera in the iPhone 5s is better than the camera in the iPhone 5; they’ll read '8-megapixel iSight camera' on the specifications sheet for both phones in the store and they’ll assume they are the same.
To many, the only difference between iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s is a fingerprint scanner. So really, to a lot of smartphone customers, the only difference between the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5s is a fingerprint scanner . . . [b]ut is the fingerprint scanner really worth the $100 difference? If that’s the only differentiator you saw between the iPhone 5s and the entry-level model, would you really pay the extra cash? I don’t think the majority of you would; I know I wouldn’t. That’s why we have the iPhone 5c."

Exactly how I feel, and exactly why I likely won't be getting a 5s. I am not an average consumer, but I don't care about a 64 bit processor or the a7 chip, simply because I barely will notice the difference. I don't do heavy processing on my phone, thats what my computer is for.

sumsingwong
Sep 11, 2013, 04:01 PM

What are you talking about? It DOES have image stabilization for stills and then some. Xenon flash? Who needs Xenon flash when you have 2 LED's, one cool and one warm, which makes adjustments according to the ambient lighting to get the best results. Sensor size has been increased for larger pixels just like the HTC One to get improved low light performance. What is this panoramic mode issue that you speak of? I've used the panoramic mode on my S4 and iP5 and don't see any issues on the iP5.

Here's the video about the iP5S camera.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/videos/#video-camera

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 11, 2013, 05:40 PM
iOS is out of date for many users, and I'm one of them.

It's still basically an app drawer with a newly added on control center and a fresh rainbow color look.

Still no homescreen widgets, which are extremely useful for me.

No bluetooth support for transferring files. I do this a lot when overseas.

No detailed battery usage status. Helps a lot if all of the sudden your battery takes a hit.

No selecting default apps or the option to select which app everytime.

Calendar options are way more robust.

Still no file system access.

No Data Usage manager.

Can only use one Apple account vs multiple Google accounts on Android at the same time.

Stuck with installing apps from Apple's app store only.

Still tied to only one desktop/iTunes.

Also, Differ manufacturer skinned versions of Android give a ton of differ options/features that iOS will most likely never have any time soon. Samsung's touchwiz is the biggest example. Smartstay and Multi window have been godsent for me.

I don't dislike iOS, I still use my iPad 2, but iOS has some growing up to do.

zedzded
Sep 11, 2013, 05:54 PM
No, it wasn't rhetorical. The pictures on the iPhone 5 look fine to me when the lighting is good. Not sure about the 5S though.

Yup when the lighting is good. My mate is a photographer and has some pretty great pictures taken with his Iphone 4, but in good conditions. Chuck a moving object into the equation or a bit of lowlight or a person with the shakes then the quality of photos taken by all iphone models goes down very quickly. That's how you should judge the quality of the Iphone camera - how does it perform in adverse conditions.

----------

What are you talking about? It DOES have image stabilization for stills and then some. Xenon flash? Who needs Xenon flash when you have 2 LED's, one cool and one warm, which makes adjustments according to the ambient lighting to get the best results. Sensor size has been increased for larger pixels just like the HTC One to get improved low light performance. What is this panoramic mode issue that you speak of? I've used the panoramic mode on my S4 and iP5 and don't see any issues on the iP5.

Here's the video about the iP5S camera.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/videos/#video-camera

The image stabilization is digital, no OIS.

sumsingwong
Sep 11, 2013, 06:42 PM
iOS is out of date for many users, and I'm one of them.

It's still basically an app drawer with a newly added on control center and a fresh rainbow color look.

Still no homescreen widgets, which are extremely useful for me.

No bluetooth support for transferring files. I do this a lot when overseas.

No detailed battery usage status. Helps a lot if all of the sudden your battery takes a hit.

No selecting default apps or the option to select which app everytime.

Calendar options are way more robust.

Still no file system access.

No Data Usage manager.

Can only use one Apple account vs multiple Google accounts on Android at the same time.

Still tied to only one desktop/iTunes.

Also, Differ manufacturer skinned versions of Android give a ton of differ options/features that iOS will most likely never have any time soon. Samsung's touchwiz is the biggest example. Smartstay and Multi window have been godsent for me.

I don't dislike iOS, I still use my iPad 2, but iOS has some growing up to do.

My opinion is totally different but I'm sure I'll just be wasting everyone's time posting it.

Brittany246
Sep 11, 2013, 06:57 PM
Yup when the lighting is good. My mate is a photographer and has some pretty great pictures taken with his Iphone 4, but in good conditions. Chuck a moving object into the equation or a bit of lowlight or a person with the shakes then the quality of photos taken by all iphone models goes down very quickly. That's how you should judge the quality of the Iphone camera - how does it perform in adverse conditions.

I really don't have a problem with the camera. If you really want amazing pictures, you probably shouldn't use your cell phone to take them.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 11, 2013, 06:59 PM
My opinion is totally different but I'm sure I'll just be wasting everyone's time posting it.

Not really, that's what a forum is for.

zedzded
Sep 11, 2013, 07:27 PM
I really don't have a problem with the camera. If you really want amazing pictures, you probably shouldn't use your cell phone to take them.

I don't want amazing pictures. I don't expect DSLR quality from a smartphone, but I do expect pictures that are on a par with a $40 P&S. $h!t like this isn't acceptable for a $1000 device, when you have kmart Chinese junk turning out better pics.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/154/104/8e47425ed83b039a529c61826e0225b3_large.jpg?1347321955

fredaroony
Sep 11, 2013, 07:52 PM
everyone watch every single of the androids will now be coming out with fingerprint scanners lol!

Motorola Atrix had this a few years ago.....

ntrigue
Sep 11, 2013, 08:13 PM
You're right, you should not get an iPhone 5s as it is obviously not meant for you. If the last device you used was iPhone 4 then you may not comment on the 5s. Having used iOS 7 for months on iPhone 5 I can strongly recommend anyone 4S or earlier upgrade next week.

----------

I don't want amazing pictures. I don't expect DSLR quality from a smartphone, but I do expect pictures that are on a par with a $40 P&S. $h!t like this isn't acceptable for a $1000 device, when you have kmart Chinese junk turning out better pics.

Image (https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/154/104/8e47425ed83b039a529c61826e0225b3_large.jpg?1347321955)

What is this and where is it from and why is it important?

Irishman
Sep 11, 2013, 08:19 PM

I don't think you realize how many companies are iterating and developing iphones (1, it 's Apple), vs all the other Android and WP8 developers (hint, it's EVERYONE else). By simple math, there is no way that Apple can iterate new features in phones as rapidly as everyone else making smartphones.

But, I'll bite, nonetheless. When you say that Apple is behind the curve, which curve is it that you refer?? Which phone? Which company's phones?

Technarchy
Sep 11, 2013, 08:27 PM
I fully accept there are people out there for whom an LTE connection is great, but I expect you're in a very small minority where most people's needs are satisfied by a decent 3G connection.

I said the same thing...then my city got LTE.

No way in hell I would ever consider a phone without LTE at this point.

onthecouchagain
Sep 11, 2013, 08:32 PM

I truly love being able to install apps to my phone or to my nexus directly from the play store website. You can choose exactly which device to install the app to without needing to have the device anywhere nearby.

Very handy and convenient.

andiwm2003
Sep 11, 2013, 08:49 PM

yes i have. it's not that the screen and the experience isn't great while you are using it in a coffee shop or such. it's just that it's too big as a phone for carrying around. I wish they would make a slightly smaller iPhone that fit's easier in a pocket, is lighter and more robust due to the smaller size. I don't bring my iphone when i go running because it's too big. I can't even imagine bringing the S4 to sports or such.

zedzded
Sep 11, 2013, 08:50 PM

And this is an age old argument when people criticise Iphones...

Don't like the photos, buy a camera
Don't like the screen size, but a tablet
Don't like the speakers, buy a stereo
Don't like the earbuds, buy some proper headphones
Don't like the fragility, buy a case

:rolleyes:

When you have just paid over $1000 for a device, I think it's understandable to be slightly miffed when your expensive device is bettered than something costing $40..

ChrisTX
Sep 11, 2013, 09:03 PM
I agree, it is a good upgrade, yet most of it is copied from Android, proving once again how hypocrisy reigns supreme at Apple.

Sadly Apple continues to play catch up, a foreign task for them.

Totally willing to ignore the fact that Apple is solely responsible for the modern day smartphone as we know it? Ask Blackberry, and Palm what they think of the iPhone now. I'm still torn because I love the hardware of the Note 3(minus the faux backing) but Android just isn't as reliable as iOS at getting real work done.

Brittany246
Sep 11, 2013, 09:03 PM
And this is an age old argument when people criticise Iphones...

Don't like the photos, buy a camera
Don't like the screen size, but a tablet
Don't like the speakers, buy a stereo
Don't like the earbuds, buy some proper headphones
Don't like the fragility, buy a case

:rolleyes:

When you have just paid over $1000 for a device, I think it's understandable to be slightly miffed when your expensive device is bettered than something costing $40..

That argument is brought up with any phone really. A camera on a cell phone now a days probably isn't going to be as good as a DSLR. Maybe in 5 or 10 years. You can either buy an actual separate camera, or go find a phone with a way better camera... Nobody's making you buy an iPhone. lol... Roll your eyes all you want, sweety.

zedzded
Sep 11, 2013, 09:22 PM
That argument is brought up with any phone really. A camera on a cell phone now a days probably isn't going to be as good as a DSLR. .

I see your point and I'm not expecting DSLR quality photos from Apple, but the cameras they do stick in their phones have been pretty average. Iphone cameras 3, 3S, 4 & 4S produce very poor quality shots in low light. The lcd flash is terrible. The first 2 models didn't even have flash! No OIS in any of their phones, including the 5S. Poor panoramic mode etc etc These are things that Apple could fix up. I understand that there is a compromise, trying to fit a camera into a slim-line phone, but they need to try harder. Paying $1k for a device that takes pictures a P&S from 10 years ago would be embarrassed about is not acceptable. I think Apple should be producing a variety of Iphones, perhaps 3 or 4 in the range. including one that has a camera that is on a par with cheap P&Ss. Samsung are doing it with the S4 zoom.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 11, 2013, 09:24 PM
I truly love being able to install apps to my phone or to my nexus directly from the play store website. You can choose exactly which device to install the app to without needing to have the device anywhere nearby.

Very handy and convenient.

The ironic thing is I sometimes browse and install apps to my Android devices from my iPad 2.

Spacial
Sep 11, 2013, 10:00 PM
Totally willing to ignore the fact that Apple is solely responsible for the modern day smartphone as we know it? Ask Blackberry, and Palm what they think of the iPhone now. I'm still torn because I love the hardware of the Note 3(minus the faux backing) but Android just isn't as reliable as iOS at getting real work done.

What Apple did in the past is irrelevant.

Living in the present reveals that Apple has _chosen_ to use but a small fraction of their technical expertise. Well known as a highly competent, extremely skilled organization, for them to release a mediocre "upgrade" at this juncture is a huge disappointment to those of us who know Apple well.

If you read my earlier post, at no time am I advocating for Android. I simply stated the obvious.

fredaroony
Sep 11, 2013, 10:01 PM
The Android OS, Has the most mediocre horribly user experience I have ever used since Windows XP.

You should have no expectation of being taken seriously when you make statements like this.

Brittany246
Sep 11, 2013, 10:30 PM

Image (https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/154/104/8e47425ed83b039a529c61826e0225b3_large.jpg?1347321955)

Really? Is it really such a pain in the ass to tap on the screen to focus?

----------

I see your point and I'm not expecting DSLR quality photos from Apple, but the cameras they do stick in their phones have been pretty average. Iphone cameras 3, 3S, 4 & 4S produce very poor quality shots in low light. The lcd flash is terrible. The first 2 models didn't even have flash! No OIS in any of their phones, including the 5S. Poor panoramic mode etc etc These are things that Apple could fix up. I understand that there is a compromise, trying to fit a camera into a slim-line phone, but they need to try harder. Paying $1k for a device that takes pictures a P&S from 10 years ago would be embarrassed about is not acceptable. I think Apple should be producing a variety of Iphones, perhaps 3 or 4 in the range. including one that has a camera that is on a par with cheap P&Ss. Samsung are doing it with the S4 zoom.

Meh... I still don't really have a huge problem with the iPhone 5 camera.

zedzded
Sep 11, 2013, 10:31 PM

Living in the present reveals that Apple has _chosen_ to use but a small fraction of their technical expertise. Well known as a highly competent, extremely skilled organization, for them to release a mediocre "upgrade" at this juncture is a huge disappointment to those of us who know Apple well.

Exactly. They have been in this industry over 30 years, Samsung make fridges and air conditioners, they shouldn't be competing with Apple. Apple should be producing Iphones that make people go "Wow!" They're not. They have a successful product, they have the technical know how to produce exciting, innovative products, instead they are resting on their laurels, adding minor tweaks to old models.

If you read my earlier post, at no time am I advocating for Android. I simply stated the obvious.

Yup me too. I've never owned an Android phone, but feel Apple are losing their way with the Iphone or perhaps losing sight of the big picture.

Brittany246
Sep 11, 2013, 10:34 PM
Motorola Atrix had this a few years ago.....

Yeah, and it's weird how everyone will start doing it closely following the release of the iPhone 5S. >_>

----------

You should have no expectation of being taken seriously when you make statements like this.

Because?

zedzded
Sep 11, 2013, 10:38 PM
Really? Is it really such a pain in the ass to tap on the screen to focus?

----------

Meh... I still don't really have a huge problem with the iPhone 5 camera.

Are you flirting with me?!

Brittany246
Sep 11, 2013, 10:51 PM
Are you flirting with me?!

Yes, of course. This is exactly how I flirt with guys.

nfl46
Sep 11, 2013, 11:59 PM
Sorry, I didn't phrase that correctly, I meant my top 10 smartphones. There are at least 10 other phones I'd buy before an iPhone. I genuinely believe they are all better than the iPhone, but again this is personal preference.

Just wow............

Giuly
Sep 12, 2013, 12:08 AM

Frankly, if money was an issue, I'd rather buy a Kindle Paperwhite 3G instead of a Nexus. It serves a purpose actually worth spending time on - studying - and doesn't distract you with stuff like Facebook all the time.

Carlanga
Sep 12, 2013, 12:09 AM
For me there is no better phone than an iPhone. I like android and have an android tablet, but it just doesn't flow the same for me.

zedzded
Sep 12, 2013, 12:10 AM
Yes, of course. This is exactly how I flirt with guys.

Stop it, you're making me blush :o

ChrisTX
Sep 12, 2013, 07:29 AM

Honestly, what Apple did in the past is completely relevant to the present. The concern I have is that Samsung got a pass for the spec upgrade better known as the GS4, but Apple isn't for the 5S. Outside of Android phones having larger displays, and larger form factors. I fail to see how they're any better than the iPhone in their latest offering the 5S. I'm at the present very much considering buying a Note 3, but I'm also considering going back to the iPhone for the 5S instead because the upgrades IMO are really good. :cool:

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 12, 2013, 07:41 AM
Honestly, what Apple did in the past is completely relevant to the present. The concern I have is that Samsung got a pass for the spec upgrade better known as the GS4, but Apple isn't for the 5S. Outside of Android phones having larger displays, and larger form factors. I fail to see how they're any better than the iPhone in their latest offering the 5S. I'm at the present very much considering buying a Note 3, but I'm also considering going back to the iPhone for the 5S instead because the upgrades IMO are really good. :cool:

How was the S4 given a pass when it's smaller with a bigger screen than the S3?

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 07:53 AM

Many things debatable here. First the s4 was more than a spec bump. If anything it was akin to Apple going from the 4s to the 5, some might argue even more significant.

Second, Samsung has a fuller line up. They have their bases more covered so to speak. From low to mid to higher end phones of varying screen sizes aimed at different users and markets. Apple just isn't doing this with their iPhone line and clearly there are some who are waiting for just that.

Thirdly plenty of people did blast Samsung for essentially pulling an Apple. I disagree with this but it was there. It's not like the caneane to all open arms.

I myself will be very excited next year when Apple redesigns and potentially bring a new screen size.

ChrisTX
Sep 12, 2013, 07:59 AM
How was the S4 given a pass when it's smaller with a bigger screen than the S3?

It was the same size as the S3, if not just a hair bigger. Otherwise, the point is that Samsung kept the form factor, and overall look the same just beefing up the specs. No one seemed to care about that, until Apple does it. Even though Apple has been doing it since the 3GS.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 12, 2013, 08:18 AM
It was the same size as the S3, if not just a hair bigger. Otherwise, the point is that Samsung kept the form factor, and overall look the same just beefing up the specs. No one seemed to care about that, until Apple does it. Even though Apple has been doing it since the 3GS.

Well I agree about the "S" models. They were never meant to be any redesign nor major upgrade. I think the 5S upgrade is decent and expected. Apple didn't wow the mainstream with this "S" upgrade as they did with previous ones. Nobody is really buzzing about the fingerprint sensor like they were about Siri(4S upgrade) or the major upgrade from the 3G to the 3GS. That probably why there's more complaining about this upgrade, added with the insult of the 5C.

The S4 is NOT the same size as the S3. Not on paper and not when I held both next to each other. The S4 is noticeably smaller with a bigger screen.

Ubuntu
Sep 12, 2013, 09:11 AM

What's it to you? The nexus is a better device according to you, so why would you have any expectations for Apple to deliver a less-disappointing product? It just suggests you don't truly mean what you say about the nexus. Be happy with what you have.

ceva321
Sep 12, 2013, 11:23 PM
Come on Jony Ive, put a new shirt on. He has gotten on my nerves with his BS. "Look at this terd, we crafted a perfect cylindrical shape and made it even more curved and the brown color was crafted after the most harmonious color of earth and hapiness. It's soft and the scent it gives off is an added bonus."

Haha this Ive dude gives me the creeps. His delivery is so weird.

Savor
Sep 13, 2013, 12:17 AM
Honestly, what Apple did in the past is completely relevant to the present. The concern I have is that Samsung got a pass for the spec upgrade better known as the GS4, but Apple isn't for the 5S. Outside of Android phones having larger displays, and larger form factors. I fail to see how they're any better than the iPhone in their latest offering the 5S. I'm at the present very much considering buying a Note 3, but I'm also considering going back to the iPhone for the 5S instead because the upgrades IMO are really good. :cool: Actually you answered it yourself.

Apple has been doing this S-thing since 2009. Samsung just did it THIS year. So Apple has done it 3X already.

But I'm starting to prefer the s-class year only because you get the more powerful twin. The iPhone 6 will get overpowered by the 6s in 2015 anyway. I like to have both the best design and internal hardware.

But still, with BILLIONS saved up, it would be nice if Apple changes it up from time to time and NOT one design every two years. Like Jordan Nike sneakers. I dont want to see the same design after two years when other OEM's can change the external design every single year with their flagships with a smaller capital than Apple's. Look at the Nexus phones. Each uniquely designed.

Oohara
Sep 13, 2013, 04:01 AM
Haha this Ive dude gives me the creeps. His delivery is so weird.

The guy certainly comes across as taking himself very, very seriously. I honestly think it's getting to a level where his delivery in these ads isn't helping sales anymore. He's making me feel just a little bit like a gullible idiot for wanting to buy anything Apple.

Twixt
Sep 13, 2013, 04:20 AM
I'm happy to get the 5s as soon as it comes out, I think it's a good upgrade from my 4s and everyone watch every single of the androids will now be coming out with fingerprint scanners lol! Oh but iPhone isn't leader of the pack! They all just follow though. Motorola's failed their attempt at fingerprint last time lets see how they go on their second attempt

HTC One
Note 3
Galaxy S4
LG G2
Nexus 5
Xperia ZU
Xperia Z1
are all ahead

Right, 5S would rank at the very bottom of top 10, great achievement.

Evnor
Sep 13, 2013, 04:30 AM
HTC One
Note 3
Galaxy S4
LG G2
Nexus 5
Xperia ZU
Xperia Z1
are all ahead

Cool story bro.

mikemike690
Sep 13, 2013, 04:40 AM
Agreed.

If people want plastic, they'd go for Samsung (the IN-product for young kids)

If people want IOS, well, it's reported that over 70% (being generous) are using
android, so...

If people want iPhone, they'd go for the 5S.

:apple:

----------

Nexus isn't a phone.

nexus is a tablet good for Android games, great for watching videos or movies, and excellent for browsing web and reading netbooks.

For that price, Nexus is excellent deal.

Of course, if you want Apps and a brand name, then iPad or iPad mini is for you.

Can't say anything bad about Nexus, man. Try it and you'll be impressed. For that price, you'd have to be. Seriously, try it out.

Apple rocks. But, at a price.

Excuse me they are talking about the Nexus 4 the Google phone.

hulk2012
Sep 13, 2013, 04:55 AM

You not must buying an iPhone. You buying into apple ecosystem. If you already own ip5 then maybe it's worth waiting another year or two. But let me tell you this though.. Even this that the finger print scan invention in smartphone sounds a bit suspicious to me I think by translating into scanning your finger each time you asked for password seems to be a time saver. That's just me.

rillrill
Sep 13, 2013, 05:11 AM
5S is a good upgrade.

i thought so too until i heard every teenager talking about getting one at school the next day. this phone will sell a ton because most kids could care less about specs and software. so long as it texts and plays games.

ChrisTX
Sep 13, 2013, 05:29 AM
Actually you answered it yourself.

Apple has been doing this S-thing since 2009. Samsung just did it THIS year. So Apple has done it 3X already.

But I'm starting to prefer the s-class year only because you get the more powerful twin. The iPhone 6 will get overpowered by the 6s in 2015 anyway. I like to have both the best design and internal hardware.

But still, with BILLIONS saved up, it would be nice if Apple changes it up from time to time and NOT one design every two years. Like Jordan Nike sneakers. I dont want to see the same design after two years when other OEM's can change the external design every single year with their flagships with a smaller capital than Apple's. Look at the Nexus phones. Each uniquely designed.

While I agree to an extent, Smartphones seem to be the one area that is rapidly evolving faster than others. Most other products we own like cars, shoes, etc...stay the same for years before a refresh. The OEMS that refresh their phone designs every year like HTC are usually doing so to find a design people will actually buy. I guess I'm used to Apples S designs by now, and don't mind them so much.

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 13, 2013, 05:31 AM
The device is a phone primarily and not a camera?!
I have had no issues using my iPhone for taking casual still photographs. I wouldn't print them out and put them on my wall, but then again why would I? I have a Canon DSLR and a Canon Bridge camera that comes with me at weekends. I know it is handy to have a good camera on a mobile phone for unexpected candid shot, but I really think you are splitting hairs by trying to claim the camera on the iPhone 5 is rubbish. It might not be the outright best in its field, but that doesn't mean it takes a crap photograph. I know plenty of people who can't take a good photograph on a professional level DSLR!

Aussi3
Sep 13, 2013, 04:44 PM
HTC One
Note 3
Galaxy S4
LG G2
Nexus 5
Xperia ZU
Xperia Z1
are all ahead

Cool story bro.

Yeah as Evnor said cool story, but that's all it is a story. None of those come close to the 5s yeah some of them might beat the iPhone 5 but none come close to the 5s. Nice story though!!

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 13, 2013, 06:51 PM
Yeah as Evnor said cool story, but that's all it is a story. None of those come close to the 5s yeah some of them might beat the iPhone 5 but none come close to the 5s. Nice story though!!

And that's cause you say so. :eek:

You should apply for dictator.

Dontazemebro
Sep 13, 2013, 07:25 PM
The device is a phone primarily and not a camera?!
I have had no issues using my iPhone for taking casual still photographs. I wouldn't print them out and put them on my wall, but then again why would I? I have a Canon DSLR and a Canon Bridge camera that comes with me at weekends. I know it is handy to have a good camera on a mobile phone for unexpected candid shot, but I really think you are splitting hairs by trying to claim the camera on the iPhone 5 is rubbish. It might not be the outright best in its field, but that doesn't mean it takes a crap photograph. I know plenty of people who can't take a good photograph on a professional level DSLR!

Like we say in my line of work ..... Looks like user error to me.

daneoni
Sep 13, 2013, 10:26 PM
HTC One
Note 3
Galaxy S4
LG G2
Nexus 5
Xperia ZU
Xperia Z1
are all ahead

I love how you include a phone that hasn't even been announced or released (Nexus 5)...JUST so you won't have to list an iPhone 5S. :rolleyes:

fredaroony
Sep 13, 2013, 10:51 PM

What areas in particular do they not come close?

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 14, 2013, 06:22 AM
Like we say in my line of work ..... Looks like user error to me.

Exactly my point.

Timely7
Sep 14, 2013, 10:45 AM

Has it ever occur to you that prices are not everything? Have you ever wondered also why some people buy BMWs than Toyotas? Even though you might argue that buying the Toyota would be of a better value

iPhones was made for quality... Nexus was made to be a cheap phone to begin with, serving the low-income earners

sumsingwong
Sep 14, 2013, 11:47 AM
i thought so too until i heard every teenager talking about getting one at school the next day. this phone will sell a ton because most kids could care less about specs and software. so long as it texts and plays games.

So are you a kid as well or part of the faculty or custodial service at that school?

rillrill
Sep 14, 2013, 12:32 PM
So are you a kid as well or part of the faculty or custodial service at that school?

faculty

----------

the way i look at it is:

android for power users
iphone for laymen
windows phone for masochists

damitssam
Sep 16, 2013, 05:35 PM
Has it ever occur to you that prices are not everything? Have you ever wondered also why some people buy BMWs than Toyotas? Even though you might argue that buying the Toyota would be of a better value

iPhones was made for quality... Nexus was made to be a cheap phone to begin with, serving the low-income earners

Actually Z1 off contract is $720 (with 16gb internal).... your Iphone 5S 16GB is CHEAPER at $649. Please, apple is not the only premium price phone these days.

Note 3: $699 off contract.

You want me to go through the list of android hero phone launch day pricing? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Six8
Sep 17, 2013, 04:54 PM

Lmaoooooo

Twixt
Sep 24, 2013, 04:58 AM

Do we speak about the same 5s? How much does apple pay you to post nonsense?

----------

I love how you include a phone that hasn't even been announced or released (Nexus 5)...JUST so you won't have to list an iPhone 5S. :rolleyes:

I was expecting that one, number 7 or 8 does not change silver line right?
it always amazes me how people have biased views when it comes to such meaningless subject such as a phone brand.
On a technical standpoint your great 5s is not top material full stop...

Hawkeye16
Sep 24, 2013, 11:42 AM

IMO - that picture probably looks better blurry.

You could always just tap on the screen to get the focus if it does not auto focus. Easy solution to a problem most point and shoot cameras even have at times.

Also - where are you paying over $1,000 for an iPhone?