PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a Apple TV from Amazon.

tonyr6
Sep 11, 2013, 05:36 AM
Should I. The Roku 3 was a disaster for Netflix but I sold it. I am just worried Apple might release a new one soon.

How is the current Gen Apple TV. Is it fast.

SandboxGeneral
Sep 11, 2013, 05:40 AM
It works just fine. I use it everyday.

At this point, I have doubts that there will be a new one anytime soon.

tonyr6
Sep 11, 2013, 06:49 AM
I cancelled it. Just heard rumors they might come out with a refresh next week. I can wait even though I want one bad.

paulrbeers
Sep 11, 2013, 07:39 AM
I cancelled it. Just heard rumors they might come out with a refresh next week. I can wait even though I want one bad.

*facepalm* So let's just say it doesn't release next week, and then you hear another rumor of the following week, do you wait again? Why not buy and sell if a new one is released with anything significant? My guess is the AppleTV4 probably will have a single core A6 processor and AC wifi, but seriously neither of those are going to playback netflix any better than the A5. AC wifi MIGHT buffer a bit faster IF your internet connection is fast enough (doubtful) to take advantage of AC.....

fhall1
Sep 11, 2013, 07:49 AM
Agreed....if a new one comes out in a week...just ship the old one back to Amazon.

boomhower
Sep 11, 2013, 10:11 AM

They are supposedly releasing a software update. If there were releasing new hardware it would have been in the show yesterday. Order one and be happy.

Weaselboy
Sep 11, 2013, 10:28 AM
Should I. The Roku 3 was a disaster for Netflix but I sold it. I am just worried Apple might release a new one soon.

How is the current Gen Apple TV. Is it fast.

I think all you will see is the rumored software update next week and not new hardware.

I use my ATV for NF and it works well.

You might want to save some money and get the ATV as a refurb from Apple (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/apple_tv) for $75.

Julien
Sep 11, 2013, 12:14 PM
...My guess is the AppleTV4 probably will have a single core A6 processor and AC wifi, but seriously neither of those are going to playback netflix any better than the A5......

Exactly, for now any new model won't likely have any "deal breaking" or must have new hardware features. Current ATV3 can probably get most new "features" in firmware. It will probably be a couple of years until we get an UHD model that will be substantially different.

Another way to look at it too is buy now for $100 (or refurb (best choice) or used for $75) and even if you upgrade in a year you can probably easily sell used for $50 making it only $50 for a year or >14 (28 if you throw it away) per day.

flatfoot99
Sep 11, 2013, 07:00 PM
cancel it...

http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/11/new-apple-tv-in-development-could-arrive-as-soon-as-next-month/

tonyr6
Sep 12, 2013, 07:47 AM
cancel it...

http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/11/new-apple-tv-in-development-could-arrive-as-soon-as-next-month/

Already did. I want one so bad after using that turd the Roku 3. I will wait. Even if it is just a refresh with some updated hardware I will get it.

yinz
Sep 12, 2013, 08:04 AM
Already did. I want one so bad after using that turd the Roku 3. I will wait. Even if it is just a refresh with some updated hardware I will get it.

Could you please tell us why it's so bad? People always suggest it as a cheaper, more affordable alternative to the Apple TV. I never tried one, so I'm curious...

tonyr6
Sep 12, 2013, 09:37 AM
Could you please tell us why it's so bad? People always suggest it as a cheaper, more affordable alternative to the Apple TV. I never tried one, so I'm curious...

Main interface has ads. I paid for the box so there should be no ads. Netflix UI is very ugly. Artwork looks squished and low resolution. No AutoPlay which I actually like that. No Netflix Kids. Now even no profiles. Netflix streams unreliable with only SD during peak hours. Streams will randomly crap out in the same spot yet the PS3 and PC they play fine.

No YouTube as I subscribe to certain channels like C-Net and NewEgg. Also the wifi remote will use the same channel as my 5.8Ghz network even when there are no other networks. Box needs a reboot once a week because it starts to lag. I can go on and on.

Just look up the user "reddice" on the AVS & Roku forums as I go by that username on there. That is why I sold it on eBay and got most of my money back which will go towards a Apple TV.

yinz
Sep 12, 2013, 03:49 PM
Main interface has ads. I paid for the box so there should be no ads. Netflix UI is very ugly. Artwork looks squished and low resolution. No AutoPlay which I actually like that. No Netflix Kids. Now even no profiles. Netflix streams unreliable with only SD during peak hours. Streams will randomly crap out in the same spot yet the PS3 and PC they play fine.

No YouTube as I subscribe to certain channels like C-Net and NewEgg. Also the wifi remote will use the same channel as my 5.8Ghz network even when there are no other networks. Box needs a reboot once a week because it starts to lag. I can go on and on.

Just look up the user "reddice" on the AVS & Roku forums as I go by that username on there. That is why I sold it on eBay and got most of my money back which will go towards a Apple TV.

Cool thanks for the clarification. It is detailed enough. It seems to be a lot of Netflix related hate though. I wonder if that's really Roku's fault or Netflix's? The ads part sounds terrible though. I'd be pissed if I bought one and their were adds on my menu screen! I also value Youtube on the ATV.

RGC1981
Sep 12, 2013, 05:01 PM
I still went ahead and ordered a refurbished Apple TV from the apple store. It will be my first. :D

jaw04005
Sep 12, 2013, 11:25 PM
I just bought another one (making a total of 3 in my house) last week. I got it from Amazon, so I guess I can return it if they release a new one in 30 days (minus shipping).

I've been a set top box fanatic since Windows Media Center was announced in 2002. I've pretty much used every box out there including Roku, Boxee, D-link, WD, XBOX, PS3, etc.

The Apple TV second/third generation now wins hands down. However, I do wish Apple would do something about their horrible remote.

The only two things I really miss are iTunes Extras (I just don't understand why they don't have this yet) and multiple AirPlay speakers. Both were features of the last update to Apple TV 1.0 (the OS X based Intel box).

It's been a slow process for the Apple TV, but we're getting there. If they would let Amazon add Amazon Prime video, I'd be even more thrilled (never will happen).

kumquat
Sep 15, 2013, 04:43 AM
I haven't had any problems streaming Netflix to my Roku 3 at all. It sounds like the poster above must have a very slow and unstable internet connection and will likely have just as many problems streaming to an AppleTV as s/he will with any streaming device; I've seen reviews all over the place of people bashing every media streaming device in existence because they don't realize how crappy their wifi signal is and what slow speeds they're actually paying for. Hint: if you get less than 25Mbs down forget about streaming HD with any reliability. Also, you can side load YouTube in under 5 minutes; I did so on the day my Roku 3 arrived in the mail and I'd never side loaded anything in my life before. There's really no reason to ever be on the screen that has the side bar ad, assuming you use the device to stream media instead of just staring at the main app store menu. I do agree that the Roku UI and, by necessity, most of the apps built to conform to its SDK, leave a bit to be desired design-wise. However, the Hulu Plus app is actually pretty good looking so it seems the ugly app designs (coughPlexcough) are just the result of laziness. Anyway, I clicked on the thread because I'm on the fence about getting an aTV for my other TV which is already a Smart TV but the Plex interface there is really ugly, too. [Lesson Learned: Plex is the ugliest media server software in existence and its metadata scrapers are a complete joke and it can't even reliably update media changes no matter how many times you hit Force Refresh.] I'm tired of having my MacBook tethered via HDMI to watch random online content so being able to mirror from my Mini/iPad/iPhone and access my 8TB media library without having to look at Plex would be fun, but this hint of an upcoming refresh has me on the fence, too.

tonyr6
Sep 15, 2013, 02:16 PM
Then explain why my PS3 has no problems streaming Netflix day or night.

kumquat
Sep 16, 2013, 05:12 PM
Did you have the Roku and the PS3 located right next to each other? Did you try streaming from the PS3 while you had the Roku powered on? My guess is that you don't have enough bandwidth to get a strong, stable connection to both and/or you had the Roku placed in a lousy reception area. Is your PS3 set to stream 480 or 720? Did you have the Roku set to stream 1080?