PDA

View Full Version : powerbook 15 inch 100g hd noise

pabmac
Nov 24, 2005, 11:50 AM
Hello, are any of you new 15 inch owners who opted for the 100g 7200 hard drive experiencing a lot of noise and vibration?

It's kind of driving me crazy (along with a few 'water stain' spots in the lcd).

Anything to be done?

Cheers

MacRumorUser
Nov 24, 2005, 12:10 PM
Hello, are any of you new 15 inch owners who opted for the 100g 7200 hard drive experiencing a lot of noise and vibration?

It's kind of driving me crazy (along with a few 'water stain' spots in the lcd).

Anything to be done?

Cheers

I think CSI need to take a DNA swab on those 'water stain' :D They told you not to get too excited.

On a serioius note; my 100gb HD drive makes harldy any noise what so ever. Its the segate model. :D I think they also use a Hitatchi model which is noiser by all accounts. What does it say in system profiler under ATA?

pabmac
Nov 24, 2005, 12:29 PM
Sorry, I forget to mention that, yes, it is the Seagate ST910021A

MacRumorUser
Nov 24, 2005, 12:36 PM
Sorry, I forget to mention that, yes, it is the Seagate ST910021A

Ok same model. I that case I'd say you need to get your machine repaired or replaced. You shouldn't be experiencing those annomolies.

California
Nov 24, 2005, 12:47 PM
Uh, no noise or vibration problems ever with Hitachis. Don't know what you are talking about.

pubwvj
Nov 24, 2005, 01:06 PM
This is not the new PowerBook 15" but here is some data on drives in general. In order of noise level:

Fuji 2.5" 30GB 5400rpm - Internal (PB Pismo) - loud spin+access
Western Digitals - 25GB 5400rpm - External FW - moderate noise
Western Digitals - 40GB 5400rpm - External FW - moderate noise
Western Digitals - 80GB 5400rpm - External FW - moderate noise
Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm - External Firewire - almost silent
Hitachi Travelstars 48GB* 5400rpm - Internal (PB Pismo) - silent
Hitachi Travelstars 80GB* 5400rpm - Internal (PB Pismo) - silent

If possible I greatly prefer having the faster 7200rpm drives for my OS system hard drive. It makes a significant difference in how responsive the computer feels.

*Both of the Travelstar drives failed at about 1 year of age underwarrantee. Both went back to Hitachi and were replaced and the replacement drives are working fine now. Good thing they had a three year warrantee and I had kept the packaging. Hitachi is _very_ fussy about the packaging.

MacRumorUser
Nov 24, 2005, 03:07 PM
Uh, no noise or vibration problems ever with Hitachis. Don't know what you are talking about.

Sorry, just that I read in other posts that the seagate was a better drive becuase the Hitachi was noisy. If I'm wrong - i stand corrected
:)