Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pabmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Hello, are any of you new 15 inch owners who opted for the 100g 7200 hard drive experiencing a lot of noise and vibration?

It's kind of driving me crazy (along with a few 'water stain' spots in the lcd).

Anything to be done?

Cheers

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
pabmac said:
Hello, are any of you new 15 inch owners who opted for the 100g 7200 hard drive experiencing a lot of noise and vibration?

It's kind of driving me crazy (along with a few 'water stain' spots in the lcd).

Anything to be done?

Cheers

I think CSI need to take a DNA swab on those 'water stain' :D They told you not to get too excited.

On a serioius note; my 100gb HD drive makes harldy any noise what so ever. Its the segate model. :D I think they also use a Hitatchi model which is noiser by all accounts. What does it say in system profiler under ATA?

pabmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Sorry, I forget to mention that, yes, it is the Seagate ST910021A

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
pabmac said:
Sorry, I forget to mention that, yes, it is the Seagate ST910021A

Ok same model. I that case I'd say you need to get your machine repaired or replaced. You shouldn't be experiencing those annomolies.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Uh, no noise or vibration problems ever with Hitachis. Don't know what you are talking about.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
This is not the new PowerBook 15" but here is some data on drives in general. In order of noise level:

Fuji 2.5" 30GB 5400rpm - Internal (PB Pismo) - loud spin+access
Western Digitals - 25GB 5400rpm - External FW - moderate noise
Western Digitals - 40GB 5400rpm - External FW - moderate noise
Western Digitals - 80GB 5400rpm - External FW - moderate noise
Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm - External Firewire - almost silent
Hitachi Travelstars 48GB* 5400rpm - Internal (PB Pismo) - silent
Hitachi Travelstars 80GB* 5400rpm - Internal (PB Pismo) - silent

If possible I greatly prefer having the faster 7200rpm drives for my OS system hard drive. It makes a significant difference in how responsive the computer feels.

*Both of the Travelstar drives failed at about 1 year of age underwarrantee. Both went back to Hitachi and were replaced and the replacement drives are working fine now. Good thing they had a three year warrantee and I had kept the packaging. Hitachi is _very_ fussy about the packaging.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
California said:
Uh, no noise or vibration problems ever with Hitachis. Don't know what you are talking about.

Sorry, just that I read in other posts that the seagate was a better drive becuase the Hitachi was noisy. If I'm wrong - i stand corrected
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.