Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xConnerIdan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
I have a question.
If I use a backup created in an iPhone 4S that runs the latest publicly available software in my a computer.
Will I be able to use that backup for the installation of iOS7?
Will I need a backup?
Because a friend of mine, said you need to start from the start like it's a brand new phone.
tl;dr, can I use the backup from my iPhone(the one on my computer, not iCloud) after installing iOS7?

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I have a question.
If I use a backup created in an iPhone 4S that runs the latest publicly available software in my a computer.
Will I be able to use that backup for the installation of iOS7?
Will I need a backup?
Because a friend of mine, said you need to start from the start like it's a brand new phone.
tl;dr, can I use the backup from my iPhone(the one on my computer, not iCloud) after installing iOS7?

You'll need to do an iCloud backup since iTunes isn't updated for iOS 7 yet.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
There's no need to restore the phone completely - you can do an upgrade. If you are on Windows, just use 11.0.5 and you'll be fine. Go to your phone Shift+Click on "check for updates" and then select the IPSW....it'll upgrade your phone just fine.

Now, you won't be able to use iTunes with your phone until they release 11.1, but the upgrade works perfectly and keeps everything perfectly intact. I did it last night, and everything is working very smoothly. Do an iCloud backup so that if for some reason you do need to restore after you have a backup you can access, but doing a straight upgrade from iOS 6 worked beautifully for me, and only took about 10 minutes.

If you're waiting for public release, you can just do an OTA update on the phone itself when it's released - quick and painless. And yes, after public release, you can do a restore from a local backup on your computer as well.

xConnerIdan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
There's no need to restore the phone completely - you can do an upgrade. If you are on Windows, just use 11.0.5 and you'll be fine. Go to your phone Shift+Click on "check for updates" and then select the IPSW....it'll upgrade your phone just fine.

Now, you won't be able to use iTunes with your phone until they release 11.1, but the upgrade works perfectly and keeps everything perfectly intact. I did it last night, and everything is working very smoothly. Do an iCloud backup so that if for some reason you do need to restore after you have a backup you can access, but doing a straight upgrade from iOS 6 worked beautifully for me, and only took about 10 minutes.

If you're waiting for public release, you can just do an OTA update on the phone itself when it's released - quick and painless. And yes, after public release, you can do a restore from a local backup on your computer as well.

Thank you for the answer.
But I got another question to ask.
Does updating the OS from iOS6 to iOS7(from either way, from OTA or through Windows iTunes) does the installation deletes any content such as Apps/Music/photos?

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
I upgraded my 4S from 6.1.3 to iOS7.0 GM 2hours ago and it works perfectly fine. (Again:upgraded! I did no fresh&clean reinstall!)

xConnerIdan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
I upgraded my 4S from 6.1.3 to iOS7.0 GM 2hours ago and it works perfectly fine. (Again:upgraded! I did no fresh&clean reinstall!)

So all of your contacts/apps/music have stayed, or were they deleted?

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Everything stayed exactly the same...just had iOS 7 instead of 6. All apps, all data, everything exactly where you left it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.