PDA

View Full Version : Disney's 'The Little Mermaid: Second Screen Live' Hitting Theaters with Companion iPad App

MacRumors
Sep 11, 2013, 09:26 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/11/disneys-the-little-mermaid-second-screen-live-hitting-theaters-with-companion-ipad-app/)

Disney has announced The Little Mermaid: Second Screen Live exclusively for theaters, along with an accompanying iPad app to use while viewing the film, reports /Film (http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-invites-audiences-to-ruin-the-little-mermaid-with-second-screen-experience/). The re-release of the popular 1989 film includes special sections that sync with and encourage the use of iPads among audience members to play games, sing along, and interact with the various characters.

tYpRQ5Mw2lM
Bring your iPad to the movie theater and experience special event screenings of "The Little Mermaid" on the big screen like never before! It's "Disney Second Screen Live: The Little Mermaid," where you become part of the story. Interact with Ariel, Sebastian and Flounder. Compete with the audience as you play games, sing-along, and collect hidden treasure. But watch out for Ursula, who just might try to steal your points. It just got better, down where it's wetter, with "Disney Second Screen Live: The Little Mermaid."
Disney and Apple have had a close relationship over the years, with Steve Jobs having taken a seat on Disney's board of directors and become the company's largest individual shareholder when Disney acquired Pixar (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/01/24/disney-buys-pixar-for-7-4-billion/) in 2006. Disney president and CEO Bob Iger joined Apple's board (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/15/apple-names-art-levinson-chairman-disneys-bob-iger-joins-board-of-directors/) in late 2011 after Jobs' death.

The Little Mermaid: Second Screen Live will be shown in select theaters starting September 20th. Its accompanying app, Second Screen Live: The Little Mermaid (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/second-screen-live-the-little-mermaid) is a free download for the iPad and is available on the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id669218569?mt=8)]

Article Link: Disney's 'The Little Mermaid: Second Screen Live' Hitting Theaters with Companion iPad App (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/11/disneys-the-little-mermaid-second-screen-live-hitting-theaters-with-companion-ipad-app/)

sransari
Sep 11, 2013, 09:30 AM
Ariel is hot

davidwarren
Sep 11, 2013, 09:37 AM
This would be cool in your house. Not so much at the movie theater.

MordechaiCarver
Sep 11, 2013, 09:43 AM
I guess I can see this being OK for kids to keep them occupied, but if this "second screen" is going to be a trend for grown-up movies, then count me out. I mean, do they want us to look at the screen or our iPad? What happens when something's going on in the movie and you miss it because you were looking at something on your iPad? It just takes away the whole submersive element to going to a movie theater and watching a movie. Every time you look away from a movie screen you disassociate yourself from the false reality that the movie is supposed to present.

IMHO this is a sad road to start going down.

bushido
Sep 11, 2013, 09:44 AM
omg id be so pissed. its already driving me bonkers when people check their phone with those bright screens at the movies

rshanahan
Sep 11, 2013, 09:47 AM
Really? I'd be surprised if this does well and this concept actually takes off. I feel for the theater staff for dealing with technical support issues (my app doesn't work, I can't connect to the wireless network, etc.).

gmcalpin
Sep 11, 2013, 09:48 AM
omg id be so pissed. its already driving me bonkers when people check their phone with those bright screens at the movies
I hate this idea as much as the next movie buff — and by hate, I mean "despise with every fiber of my being," but if you go to a screening specifically billed as a "Second Screen Live" screening and get pissed about it, that's kinda your fault, you know?

ck2875
I realize that I'm not the target audience for this, but this seems like a really good way to make me hate the movie theater experience if it were to spread to other films. And if I were to pay $12 or so for a small child to go see a movie as old as The Little Mermaid, I would be really annoyed if they just kept their nose in a companion app the entire time instead of paying attention to the movie.

Baumi
"Hey, you can distract yourself from the movie you paid to watch by playing iPad games instead!"

What a crappy idea.

Glassed Silver
Sep 11, 2013, 09:49 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I hate this idea as much as the next movie buff — and by hate, I mean "despise with every fiber of my being," but if you go to a screening specifically billed as a "Second Screen Live" screening and get pissed about it, that's kinda your fault, you know?

Uhm... If you want to see a movie in the theater, you want that.
You've never been asked about this BS.

Glassed Silver:mac

lord patton
Sep 11, 2013, 09:52 AM
Ariel is hot

I agree, but she's running second to Jasmine:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1283898

jakebot
Sep 11, 2013, 09:59 AM
People need to chill out lol... this is just like Timeplay that's been going on in Cineplex theatres for a while now. This would be great for this genre of movie and for kids to play along. It's hard enough getting them to sit still for an hour and a half, so this would break it up a bit.

Seems like a pretty interesting idea. Would love to see how it's implemented to interact with the movie.

gmcalpin
Sep 11, 2013, 10:02 AM
Uhm... If you want to see a movie in the theater, you want that.
Perhaps you cannot read, but "uhm…" these are special event screenings specifically for this "Second Screen" nonsense. Anybody who goes into one of these special screenings and complains that there are people using their iPads in these special screenings is an idiot.

You don't want people whipping out their iPads? Don't go to these screenings.

MonkeySee....
Sep 11, 2013, 10:04 AM
I'm assuming everyone above me doesn't have kids?

This is a great idea. My little boy will love this. If they do the same with Toy Story etc it will be a hit.

mightyneek
Sep 11, 2013, 10:10 AM
Because their is not enough *******s on phones in theaters already?

D.T.
Sep 11, 2013, 10:11 AM
People need to chill out lol... this is just like Timeplay that's been going on in Cineplex theatres for a while now. This would be great for this genre of movie and for kids to play along. It's hard enough getting them to sit still for an hour and a half, so this would break it up a bit.

Seems like a pretty interesting idea. Would love to see how it's implemented to interact with the movie.

I'm assuming everyone above me doesn't have kids?

This is a great idea. My little boy will love this. If they do the same with Toy Story etc it will be a hit.

Yeah, it's not going to be something that pops up in random movies, it's a specific showing, of a specific film (that I image will mostly tend toward kids movies), just like most 3D movies, you can choose a 2D showing.

I think creating some interactivity with the movie is a great idea for kids, and obviously, there should still be (and kids should be taught) the correct etiquette for using devices in movies that aren't designed like this. Simple.

CFreymarc
Sep 11, 2013, 10:36 AM

You will see a generation gap on the adoption of this a mile wide. The school age kids and young adults will be all over this. The older crowd conditioned to "sit down and be quite" will hate it. I bet it also does better in Asia than the west.

Reminds me of the introduction of automatic transmissions for passenger cars. The old school hated it while the new school took the technology to put their time for something else.

Also, I see this working out great at homes and cult movie showings. I would LOVE to see this done for The Rocky Horror Picture Show or Army of Darkness. Bruce Campbell would love this. It is also a good audience feedback tool during screenings.

Dagless
Sep 11, 2013, 10:47 AM
I hope this doesn't catch on with more films. I'm already considering abandoning going to the cinema and just buying the blurays instead.

ThunderSkunk
Sep 11, 2013, 11:36 AM
You thought going to a theatre with a bunch of kids was torture before...

Iconoclysm
Sep 11, 2013, 11:55 AM
This would be cool in your house. Not so much at the movie theater.

There are already quite a few second screen Blu-rays including The Avengers. This looks like more of an experiment to me.

Glassed Silver
Sep 11, 2013, 11:57 AM
Perhaps you cannot read, but "uhm…" these are special event screenings specifically for this "Second Screen" nonsense. Anybody who goes into one of these special screenings and complains that there are people using their iPads in these special screenings is an idiot.

You don't want people whipping out their iPads? Don't go to these screenings.

Sorry, didn't get this right away.

Next time try without imitating people though.
Some folks are willing to learn actually. Unheard of I know.

Glassed Silver:mac

cmwade77
Sep 11, 2013, 11:57 AM
This just made sure that I will not go to see this in the theater. Why? It's bad enough if just one person turns their phone on to send a text, imagine how much ambient light is going to be generated by all of these iPads, ruining the experience for everyone else.

Oh, and to see a movie for only $12???? I wish, ok you can get into a matinee for about that at most theaters here, but definitely not in the evening.

tk421
Sep 11, 2013, 12:25 PM
From a prominent animation blog:

Here’s A New Version of “The Little Mermaid” For People Who Don’t Want to See The Film (http://www.cartoonbrew.com/bad-ideas/heres-a-new-version-of-the-little-mermaid-for-people-who-dont-want-to-see-the-film-88364.html)
"Audiences are encouarged to ignore the careful plotting of the story, the nuances of the character animation, and the development of the characters’ personalities, and instead play games, answer trivia, solve puzzles, perform sing-a-longs, and compete with other audience members. In fact, they’re asked to pretty much do anything but actually watch The Little Mermaid."

mrxak
Sep 11, 2013, 12:38 PM
Ariel is hot

Why couldn't she be the other type of mermaid, with the fish part on top and the lady part on the bottom?

gmcalpin
Sep 11, 2013, 01:03 PM
Next time try without imitating people though.
Some folks are willing to learn actually. Unheard of I know.

Not to imitate you again, but next time, you should try it without the condescending "uhm" yourself. Other people managed to.

When you act like a dick to people, you can't pretend you have any ground to stand on when they act like a dick right back at you.

APlotdevice
Sep 11, 2013, 01:46 PM
Second screen or not, I really want to go see this. The Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney movie, and I never got a chance to see it in the theater.

Tha Professor
Sep 11, 2013, 01:54 PM
I think this is great! I don't think you will much from the movie... I am sure they have timed it so there is stuff to do only when there are important plot twists... Like lyrics show when they are actually singing... Or they make you tap on screen if you see something in the movie to get those points... I think this is great for the ADHD generation of kids that can't sit still at the movies anymore:-)

LimeiBook86
Sep 11, 2013, 02:24 PM
Disney's Second Screen apps are awesome. It's sad however that their recent titles don't feature them as much.

This whole idea of it in a movie theater is a bit odd. Thankfully it's a limited theater promotion. It reminds me of special events like Rifftrax or the Grease sing-along releases. What they should have done however, was lend out iPads in a protective case for you to use during the event. I'm sure there are plenty of iPad 2 models that could be purchased cheaply and used in a program like this.

The bring-your-own iPad part of this is odd though, I can see some people coming into the theater (if the marketing isn't pin-point enough) and being confused what all these people are doing. Although they probably have some introduction video explaining the process.

If I were going to pay to see a movie in the theater, I'd keep my eyes on the screen the whole time. Not on my iPad... which will be glowing like the sun in a dark theater. Maybe an interesting idea for a theater in Disney World, but not for all movie theaters. (Although... it wouldn't be the first time Disney tested an idea outside of their parks and then incorporated it inside of them)

JAT
Sep 11, 2013, 04:21 PM
Hey, now we know where to go to steal iPads!

krishatesworld
Sep 11, 2013, 05:40 PM
Oh my. I HOPE this does not catch on. A bunch of glowing phone screens in the darkness is distracting enough.

malexandria
Sep 11, 2013, 05:51 PM
Second Screen is absolutely awesome at Home, but this is a godawful, stupid, wretched idea. Just look at the trailer - people aren't even paying attention to the movie, what is the freaking point of this?

----------

The problem is it ENCOURAGES a culture of of bad behavior. Theaters have been doing "awareness" campaigns for the last few years to get people to shut their phones off. Now this comes along and it's telling these ADD kids that its "OK" to bring your iPads and be obnoxious in a theater. When movie companies should be teaching kids the value of actually WATCHING the movie.

----------

This kind of attitude ticks me off. You can't control your kid, so it's ok for them to be obnoxious, rude and destroy the movie going experience for everyone else. So hey, let's just further encourage the rude behavior instead of teaching them to sit still for 90 minutes - its not that difficult.

phairphan
Sep 11, 2013, 06:26 PM
A theater lit with the cool glow of iDevices filled with children "singing" along to all of the songs from The Little Mermaid? I'm fairly certain if Dante was alive today, this would be one of his levels of hell.

samcraig
Sep 11, 2013, 06:35 PM
hate to sound like a grouch but

NO.

Horrible idea. It's hard enough to get people to turn their ringers off or not check their phones during a movie. This is only "training" the younger kids that it's acceptable.

iMikeT
Sep 12, 2013, 02:44 AM
You can literally be "part of your [her] world".

manghangson
Sep 12, 2013, 08:58 AM
Soooooo, how many of you have small children who have seen this movie 100 times? I think after the 99th time the wonder of plot structure, nuance and character animation fades, just a touch.

This is a good way to add something extra for the kids. Judging by these comments, I'd guess that very few of you have children who have seen this movie on blast for a year or two.

I never undetstand the compulsion of people to comment on things that aren't meant for them.

ctdonath
Sep 12, 2013, 10:35 AM
do they want us to look at the screen or our iPad? What happens when something's going on in the movie and you miss it because you were looking at something on your iPad? It just takes away the whole submersive element to going to a movie theater and watching a movie. Every time you look away from a movie screen you disassociate yourself from the false reality that the movie is supposed to present.

I suffered an early case of that at a Blue Man Group concert. For a couple bucks you could, during the concert, enjoy an "interactive experience" of texting with the performance: a plot line of the concert was "get to the roof", and you participated by receiving & responding to directions/questions via texting. Amusing in itself (in an old-school "text adventure" way), it did detract from the experience by making you focus on the phone instead of the performers. I'd not recommend it.

Technology adds nothing to art. Two thousand years ago, I could tell you a story, and at any point during the story I could stop, and ask, "Now, do you want the hero to be kidnapped, or not?" But that would, of course, have ruined the story. Part of the experience of being entertained is sitting back and plugging into someone else's vision. The fact of the matter is, since the beginning of time, you could buy a Picasso and change the colors. That's trivial. But you don't because you're buying a piece of Picasso's f###### soul. That's the definition of art: Art is one person's ego trip.
Penn Jillette
...and the point of these "interactive second screen" things is to stroke your ego.

malexandria
Sep 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
Soooooo, how many of you have small children who have seen this movie 100 times? I think after the 99th time the wonder of plot structure, nuance and character animation fades, just a touch.

This is a good way to add something extra for the kids. Judging by these comments, I'd guess that very few of you have children who have seen this movie on blast for a year or two.

I never undetstand the compulsioin of people to comment on things that aren't meant for them.

Because it's socializing your kids to be *****s in theaters. They already can't pay attention, why do you think it is ok for your kids to use iPads in theaters under ANY circumstances? You should be trying to teach them proper manners and how to actually, god forbid PAY ATTENTION to the movie that you paid for them to see. You want them to be distracted during a movie then keep them home. Your logic makes zero sense and it is what is wrong with this current generation of kids - permissive parents who think that technology is a good babysitter.

Spacial
Sep 12, 2013, 10:58 AM
This is a shameless example of Apple taking control and turning this "movie" into a giant advertising campaign to promote iPads.

The average person is unaware that Apple has a massive financial investment in Disney and all other parties involved in this production. Furthermore they're creating a wider gap between the haves, and have nots.

This is Apple manipulating the public for its own gain. A tactic that I find repulsive.

gmcalpin
Sep 12, 2013, 11:05 AM
This is a shameless example of Apple taking control and turning this "movie" into a giant advertising campaign to promote iPads.

Apple has NOTHING to do with this whatsoever. You're completely delusional.

truettray
Sep 12, 2013, 11:08 AM
Uhh... for all of you freaking out about bright screens in the theater, let me just remind you that this is THE LITTLE MERMAID. Not the next 007 movie...

Perfect Score
Sep 12, 2013, 11:21 AM
This is a god-awful idea. And you can bet if this program is successful they'll push out to other movies.

It's basically a ploy to sell more stuff. iPads, apps, merchandises. Disney won't care about your "movie going experience" if they can make more $ off of it.

MordechaiCarver
Sep 12, 2013, 05:21 PM
I never undetstand the compulsion of people to comment on things that aren't meant for them.

Sooooooooo, while it's true this particular "Second Screen Live" is not meant for most of us who are commenting, if you'll actually READ the comments (like mine), you'll see many of us are commenting on what kind of precedent this might set that could affect ALL of us.

Now, granted, no one is being forced to see this movie or any future "Second Screen Live" movie. But technology has a way of seeping in once it gets a foothold somewhere and there's always the possibility of technology being where you don't want it to be.