Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Hi All,

So anticipating the 5S launch I am looking for a new case. Speck has come out with a statement that the iPhone 5 cases will fit the 5S. This can be confirmed by comparing dimensions on both phones. It's possible the new flash may be covered but that is not my intention of this post.

I am in love with Speck Candyshells. I think they offer the best protection while still keeping an the shape and beauty of the phone itself. I've dropped my 5 countless times while in the candyshell and haven't seen a single scratch/chip at all.

Now, my issue is all Speck cases have terrible color selection. Is there anyother brand of cases you guys would suggest that have similar protection while keeping the sleek look of the iphone. I have only used speck candy shells my entire life but I'd like to purchase a different color and willing to switch to a new product if needed.

Thanks for your help!
Martin

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I think the CandyShell is the best in it's league (small-medium cases) as far as protective yet sleek.

If you want to take a step in a thinner (but just as protective) direction, I would highly recommend the Spigen Neo Hybrid or the Belkin GripCandy Sheer.

Neo Hybrid: http://www.amazon.com/SPIGEN-SGP-SGP10360-Hybrid-iPhone/dp/B00D94RCV4

GripCandy Sheer: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Candy-iPhone-Gravel-Smolder/dp/B009KY45FI

I agree with CandyShell being the best in its league. It truly is. My only gripe is this white/grey one I have been using on my 5 is getting old. I'd like a new but the colors are so terrible for the candyshell.

How is the Grip Candy Sheer on protection if you had to compare it to candy shell. I am eye-balling the black/green one.

Thanks!

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I would say it's "almost as good" as the CandyShell, but noticeably thinner when handling the phone. I've had all cases mentioned in this thread.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
I have a Spigen Slim armor and love it. I don't know about the 5 but the 4 Candyshell made the phone way thicker, but the Spigen slim armor doesn't add much thickness to the 5 but provides good drop protection. Plus it was the only proper yellow case I could find.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
How is the Grip Candy Sheer on protection if you had to compare it to candy shell. I am eye-balling the black/green one.

Thanks!

I have that exact one on my phone right now, and I love it. Ive never dropped it, but I'm confident it would handle small drops well. Feels great in the hand, slim, and looks great.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I have that exact one on my phone right now, and I love it. Ive never dropped it, but I'm confident it would handle small drops well. Feels great in the hand, slim, and looks great.

Thanks for your input! I think i might be picking one up as soon as the 5S comes out.

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
Just ordered the sgp neo hybrid in Dante red. I plan on getting the black 5S so it should look pretty awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.