PDA

View Full Version : Apple SSD Replacement

CAPkuang
Sep 11, 2013, 12:56 PM
In an earlier thread on here, I talked about how my SSD crashed and after visiting the Apple store yesterday, they offered me $280 to replace my SSD. I am wondering how trustworthy are these SSDs considering they will be most likely refurbished and I might get stuck with a Toshiba one again.

magbarn
Sep 11, 2013, 03:07 PM
In an earlier thread on here, I talked about how my SSD crashed and after visiting the Apple store yesterday, they offered me $280 to replace my SSD. I am wondering how trustworthy are these SSDs considering they will be most likely refurbished and I might get stuck with a Toshiba one again.

Since Apple went proprietary instead of the ubiquitous MSATA form factor, you've got very few options: 1. Go with Apple replacement - not sure how long they'll warranty the drive, but almost guaranteed you'll get another Toshiba, so not really worth it unless you have Applecare as the new drive will likely fail anyway. 2. Find a used Samsung 256/512gb 2012 MBA SSD on ebay - no warranty, but I still think one in working condition will be better than option 1. 3. Go the OWC route and get a 3 year warranty - keep in mind OWC uses the same suspect Sandforce controller as the Toshiba drive.