PDA

View Full Version : MKV to M4V Question

WSFrazier
Sep 11, 2013, 01:00 PM
I have some MKV files that are x264 video, and DTS audio. I want to re-mux them to M4V to stream to my ATV3. Only remux video though, as I don't want to re-encode and lose more quality.

Currently I've been using MP4Tools for the remux since I need to convert the DTS audio to AC3 DD 5.1. I then use Subler to import all the meta information and clean the file up for iTunes.

I'd like to find 1 program to do it all for me in 1 sweep if possible. As I understand it, Subler can't do DTS to AC3 DD 5.1, so I need to use MP4Tools for that, but MP4Tools doesn't have any of the meta import features.

I tried using iFlicks, but I can't seem to force it to not transcode, and just remux. Every time it spits out a file almost half the size of original, and always says Encoding H.264 in the process. Is there anyway to force iFlicks to just remux, don't touch video, and make the DTS to AC3?

I haven't tried iVI since I would like a trial before I purchase an app.

vegasmalone
Sep 11, 2013, 01:33 PM
Handbrake!!

handbrake.fr/‎

mic j
Sep 11, 2013, 01:42 PM
What version of mp4tools are you using? Since version 3.3, editing metadata has been incorporated...I think.

Edit: I just check the latest version of mp4tools out and it does have the ability to import/edit metadata. So that should be your all-in-one.

Che Castro
Sep 11, 2013, 01:43 PM
In iflicks use the iTunes compatible tab to muxed the mkv into m4v

Or you can use mp4tools

WSFrazier
Sep 11, 2013, 01:51 PM
Handbrake!!

handbrake.fr/‎

Handbrake doesn't remux, it transcodes. I don't want more quality loss.

In iflicks use the iTunes compatible tab to muxed the mkv into m4v

Or you can use mp4tools

Will this still make it compatible with ATV3?

Che Castro
Sep 11, 2013, 02:00 PM
Handbrake doesn't remux, it transcodes. I don't want more quality loss.

Will this still make it compatible with ATV3?

Yes "iTunes compatible " is for muxing ,it will spit out the same mkv but with an m4v extension

The other presets are for converting

WSFrazier
Sep 11, 2013, 02:09 PM
What version of mp4tools are you using? Since version 3.3, editing metadata has been incorporated...I think.

Edit: I just check the latest version of mp4tools out and it does have the ability to import/edit metadata. So that should be your all-in-one.

Maybe I am just dumb, but where in MP4Tools do you see options for meta info? Running the latest 3.3.4

priitv8
Sep 11, 2013, 02:40 PM
Maybe I am just dumb, but where in MP4Tools do you see options for meta info? Running the latest 3.3.4Click the Edit Files tab right to the MP4 tab!

WSFrazier
Sep 11, 2013, 02:46 PM
Awesome, never would of found that. Thanks.

I actually started to like iFlick, but noticed it's concerting my DTS tracks to AAC 2 channel, and not AC3 5.1.

Looks like I will just keep using MP4Tools then.

mmomega
Sep 11, 2013, 08:26 PM
mkv2m4v from the app store.

I've used this on over 400 mkv's.

Rather quick convert time also.

ekrem13
Sep 13, 2013, 10:58 AM
Awesome, never would of found that. Thanks.

I actually started to like iFlick, but noticed it's concerting my DTS tracks to AAC 2 channel, and not AC3 5.1.

Looks like I will just keep using MP4Tools then.

I believe iflicks encodes dts to ac-3 5.1 audio, I also checked a few movies and the result is so.

Devlonc
Sep 13, 2013, 01:58 PM
iVI works great

http://www.southpolesoftware.com/iVI/iVI.php

Monitors a specific folder, grabs the file, converts it to MP4 then dumps it into your itunes media folder and deletes the original file. Very easy to use and is very customizable.

rpenzinger
Sep 13, 2013, 03:53 PM
iVI works great

http://www.southpolesoftware.com/iVI/iVI.php

Monitors a specific folder, grabs the file, converts it to MP4 then dumps it into your itunes media folder and deletes the original file. Very easy to use and is very customizable.

second that. I have converted hundreds of TV shows from MKV to M4V. Most MKVs fit the AppleTV standard and take less than a minute to lose the MKV wrapper and put on the M4V wrapper. NO Transcoding. However it will transcode if you want to convert 1080p to 720p or if the MKV format does not meet Apple TV spec.

This is a no brainer

D.T.
Sep 14, 2013, 04:55 PM
I'd also recommend Subler. It'll remux without a re-encode, let you incorporate chapters, and is integrated with themoviedb.org to easily grab meta-data, etc., and it even includes some extended meta-data for things like ratings, etc.

FYI, V 0.18 works perfect, 0.19 got a little janky.

http://code.google.com/p/subler/downloads/detail?name=Subler-0.18.zip&can=4&q=