Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
Hello forum,

Yesterday I sold my 13" MB Pro and shipped it to its new home somewhere in Cheshire thanks to eBay. And I'll never see it again.

I decided I'd sell it to buy a smaller Mac, so the MacBook Air came to mind.

The price was tempting and I was curious about the size.. But the 11" is what I left the store with.

Baseline 1.3GHz Haswell i5, HD 5000, 4GB RAM - you know the one.

I know I'm a day in, but I must say, I'm delighted. I can type fluently, I moved everything across thanks to Time Machine and Migration Assistant. It was nothing at all like any old PC moves I've done! So easy and simple..

But this Air is so light, it almost feels like a novelty.

In 2010 when I watched Steve Jobs announced it, I didn't think it'd be a model that would last or be practical.. but the past day has proven my trust in Apple once more. And to be honest, I was weary of how small it was and if I'd regret it. But time will tell.

Now it's a matter of buying a monitor, HDMI adapter for the TV and a NAS drive so I have some breathing space in regards to the physical and storage size.

Not much of an in-depth review, but just my thoughts based on 24 hours with the machine.

Thanks for reading!

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Hello forum,

Yesterday I sold my 13" MB Pro and shipped it to its new home somewhere in Cheshire thanks to eBay. And I'll never see it again.

I decided I'd sell it to buy a smaller Mac, so the MacBook Air came to mind

I traded in my Mac mini for an 11" Air, so now I can take everything with me.

I bought the Belkin HDMI adapter; works fine -- just make sure you buy a real one because there are a lot of fakes.

I'll also buy an AppleTV; will come in handy for wireless display in Mavericks.

Last I will buy a Bose SoundLink mini; people say really good things about that.

So I'll have everything compact, mobile and wireless. This will be my Mac setup for the next 2 years -- never had any Mac fail on me except an Performa 460.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I ordered an 11" Air with i7, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD yesterday. It will be replacing my mid-2010 Macbook Pro. :)

labische

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
@Tobias Funke - i am with you man.... dont need one - but want one.....
currently have 13" MBA - best machine i have used - its on and working 24/7
would trade for 11" in a second...
.....if these 66 yr old eyes worked like they used to!!
labische

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
PPI for 13" and 11" Air is almost the same, so the fonts are just as 'small'.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
This is the route I've followed since Apple replaced the powerbook with the macbook :)

15" 2008 MBP > 13" 2011 MBA > 11" 2013 MBA

I am very happy with the 11" MBA (i7/8gb/512gb), it's really fast and so portable. My 64 year old eyes aren't what they used to be either. ;) Things definitely appear a bit smaller on the 11" screen, if my eyes are tired it can bother me. Mostly it's fine, and I have changed zoom and font settings in some of my software to help (Apple Mail looked really tiny on the 11" vs the 13" for example). Some websites have text that is also really tiny, but it's easy to zoom in Safari.

Really, I don't use the built in screen all that much - I have a big monitor and external keyboard at home so the size doesn't matter. But the 11" machine is just great for travel.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
The 11" MBA is a great machine. I have a 2010 one that I ordered right after their "Back To The Mac" event. It's been more durable than I ever would have imagined.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Got a base 2013 11" Air on CL for a tidy discount from a computer science student on an impulse buy.

I'm a (non graphics or video) professional that has to have internet access away from the office for research and to use/show/transfer digital files.

I've been using a top of the line iPad3 with LTE and a ultrathin keyboard cover for these purposes. Worked fairly well.

But the places I normally go to provide wi-fi. And I'm starting to catch myself using the Air more and more while the iPad stays in my briefbag. The air is just so much more quicker than the iPad: I can get a task half done on it in the same amount of time that the iPad spends getting onto wifi. Much prefer typing on a real keyboard rather than the logitech ultrathin, and it feels so much more sturdy than my iPad and keyboard held on by magnets. And with Haswell, battery life is more or less even steven between the two.

Yes, the screen is not retina like the iPad, but as a road machine I'm not staring into it for extended periods of time. And the iOS apps I need that don't have equivalents on Mac can be accessed on my iPhone. While I sometimes absentmindedly swipe on the Air's screen to try something, I don't miss the touch interface on the iPad. Any time I save by using it is negated by having to constantly wipe fingerprints off it.

I supposed the only real advantage the iPad has is built in LTE. But that's becoming less and less of a necessity. I think the iPad is just about to be demoted to high priced e-reader

Last edited:

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
Always encouraging to read these things :)

I'm downsizing from a full ATX PC based Hackintosh as I've come to realise my computing requirements are getting more modest as the years go by.. I was waiting for Haswell MBP's but gave up on that and decided to go for an Air.

I opted for the 11" as it will spend most of it's life on my desk attached to an external monitor, but maxed it out with the i7, 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD as I could do with the grunt and the space.

I do occasionally do a bit of Photoshop and InDesign but I am by no means a power user of either so I reckon the Air will suit me perfectly.. and I now have the added bonus that I can pick up and take my 'PC' with me whenever I visit family or friends. I can't wait! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.