PDA

View Full Version : Look at this Power Mac G5 tower casing rip-off!

Will Cheyney
Nov 24, 2005, 05:37 PM
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/images/454867_01_huge.jpg

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/454867?microsite_id=Component_Shop

YUCK! :mad:

liketom
Nov 24, 2005, 05:39 PM
looks like a cheese grator with blue neons on

YUK YUK

just says how cheesy the OS is gonna be inside that pile of crud:D

aint gotta Dell logo on it has it?

eva01
Nov 24, 2005, 05:41 PM
what is that LCD display for?

liketom
Nov 24, 2005, 05:42 PM
Apple's stock price:rolleyes:

or it counts the amount of crashes it's had since you bought it :D

homerjward
Nov 24, 2005, 05:44 PM
i actually rather like teh look of that :o it's got the clean look of a g5 on the front, rather than like 80 million drive bays. it says it has 4 5.25 inch bays; where are the others? i need at least 2 external 5.25 inch bays...
the things i don't like are the screwless drive rails ( :eek: ) and the pci bay lock, and i can't tell where the side panel is thumbscrewed on or whether it needs a screwdriver, at least from that pic. overall i'd say it's pretty nice, if a bit expensive...

homerjward
Nov 24, 2005, 05:44 PM
various temperatures and fan speeds. although any self-respecting motherboard has software that'll tell you that.

Will Cheyney
Nov 24, 2005, 05:56 PM
When the computer is on, it says, "ON".
When the computer is on, it says, "OFF"

- Just so you know!

I can't believe Apple hasn't put it on their machines :rolleyes:

liketom
Nov 24, 2005, 05:59 PM
When the computer is on, it says, "ON".
When the computer is on, it says, "OFF"

- Just so you know!

I can't believe Apple hasn't put it on their machines :rolleyes:
apple has refined the LCD display from saying on/off to a steady white light - even clever though it dips on on off when its asleep

thank god there is a Mac in my house

puckhead193
Nov 24, 2005, 06:05 PM
whats with PC cases/oweners and neon lights, do they want their computer too look like a cheap civic. (I dont have any thing against the civic, i just hate it when people "pimp it out" and put neons on it :rolleyes: )

eva01
Nov 24, 2005, 06:08 PM
whats with PC cases/oweners and neon lights, do they want their computer too look like a cheap civic. (I dont have any thing against the civic, i just hate it when people "pimp it out" and put neons on it :rolleyes: )

Those sorts of lights hurt my head more than usual. my external HD has a neon blinking light to tell me it is on and running so i have it blocked off by a stick of deodorant. I hate those lights.

LGRW3919
Nov 24, 2005, 06:32 PM

cpu/hd temp probably

Hyernel
Nov 24, 2005, 06:45 PM
Is there a turbo button?

dmw007
Nov 24, 2005, 07:11 PM
looks like a cheese grator with blue neons on

My thoughts exactly... :rolleyes:

grapes911
Nov 24, 2005, 07:29 PM
Haven't we seen enough of these? Big deal? So what? Get over it.

DaftUnion
Nov 24, 2005, 07:33 PM
still looks cheap to me compared to a powermac...and um yeah, cheesy.

d_and_n5000
Nov 24, 2005, 09:43 PM
This is one of the ugliest pc case i've seen in the 21st century. Is it just me, of is it whenever someone tries to rip off an apple product based on looks, theirs always looks horrendous? Cause it's definetly true here.

ITASOR
Nov 24, 2005, 09:47 PM
This may be bad, but it doesn't even compare with the snail looking one.

Spock
Nov 24, 2005, 10:30 PM
Is there a turbo button?

Hey, my old Packard Bell had a turbo button! It was cool when I pressed the turbo button my Macintosh booted up! I really dont think it looks like a G5 I sure wish I had the patent for the cheese grator.

Les Kern
Nov 24, 2005, 10:36 PM
i actually rather like teh look of that :o it's got the clean look of a g5 on the front...

To me it looks like a G5 copy, then some talentless designer popped out a hole in the side and mounted some lights. Reminds me of the cars a few years ago with those neon lights underneath. Know why you don't see those cars any more? Because they looked STUPID.
But I'm SURE my worst fears will manifest themselves INSIDE the case, where the typical hodge-podge, utilitarian "PC look" will certainly be present.
Crap-In-A-Bad-Box my friend.

EricNau
Nov 25, 2005, 12:38 AM

I had a PC once that let you play music CD's even when the computer was off. (It had to be plugged in though.) It had a small LCD screen just like a CD player would have.
I don't know if this is the same - who knows.

im_to_hyper
Nov 25, 2005, 12:43 AM
To me it looks like a G5 copy, then some talentless designer popped out a hole in the side and mounted some lights. Reminds me of the cars a few years ago with those neon lights underneath. Know why you don't see those cars any more? Because they looked STUPID.
But I'm SURE my worst fears will manifest themselves INSIDE the case, where the typical hodge-podge, utilitarian "PC look" will certainly be present.
Crap-In-A-Bad-Box my friend.

Hey, my car has those, they're still cool around here. :o

This case looks kinda cool, I think... if I didn't know what a G5 looked like I would buy this. It would own my regular looking PC case anyday.

EricNau
Nov 25, 2005, 12:46 AM
To be honest - I don't think it resembles the look of a Powermac that much, sure it has the mesh front, but that is the only similarity that I can see.

I'm sure they got the idea from Apple - but the case is still definitely "PCish."

jadekitty24
Nov 25, 2005, 11:11 AM
I personally don't like the way it looks, but you know what they say...imitation is the highest form of flatery;)

katie ta achoo
Nov 25, 2005, 11:14 AM
I personally don't like the way it looks, but you know what they say...imitation is the highest form of flatery;)

Saying that's an imitation is an insult!

If I were on the apple design team, I'd be insulted.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/5385/powermacg5cheesegrater5wd.jpg
(Thanks, imageshack!)

jadekitty24
Nov 25, 2005, 12:01 PM
Saying that's an imitation is an insult!

If I were on the apple design team, I'd be insulted.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/5385/powermacg5cheesegrater5wd.jpg
(Thanks, imageshack!)
Agreed...I never said it was a GOOD imitation;)

bigandy
Nov 25, 2005, 12:35 PM
that is prue mingin' like, man.