Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supersalzme

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
So everybody is going crazy over the switch, but my question is simple:

Will protools (from what you know) run any faster on the new intel macs (I'm talking the first generation)..or should I just get a powerbook now? I have been wanting to get a powerbook for awhile now, and I don't care about programs such as photoshop or final cut pro...just the newest version of protools LE (basically the one that comes with the newest Mbox).

What should I do?

supersalzme

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
sjpetry said:
When Apple introduces new products they are usually faster. If you need it get it, don't waste your life waiting for a computer.

But from what I have read third party applications won't run as fast with the new line of notebooks....am I way off?

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Right now Protools 7 M-Powered and LE are optimized to run on Tiger,
so I wouldn't worry too much. Any application upgrades over the next few years will use universal binaries.

Anyway, the sofware you buy today that works on your machine now will still work on that machine regardless of future upgrades.

I know several people who are still running ProTools in OS9
It still works today as it did 7 years ago.

supersalzme

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
FFTT said:
Right now Protools 7 M-Powered and LE are optimized to run on Tiger,
so I wouldn't worry too much. Any application upgrades over the next few years will use universal binaries.

Anyway, the sofware you buy today that works on your machine now will still work on that machine regardless of future upgrades.

I know several people who are still running ProTools in OS9
It still works today as it did 7 years ago.

I know it will work...I guess I'm asking...what do YOU think I should do? Mactel...or the current powerbook?

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
Don't even think about waiting for an x86 PowerBook. The fact is that Digidesign are notorious for not having an update ready in time for the release of new software/hardware. Also, if Rosetta doesn't have AltiVec support (although it is rumoured to now...), then, as I understand it, you won't be able to run a PPC version of Pro Tools at all on an Intel PowerBook at all as all versions of Pro Tools after Pro Tools 6.0 require AltiVec.

But, then again, maybe Digidesign may have their act together this time 'round...

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
supersalzme said:
Will protools (from what you know) run any faster on the new intel macs (I'm talking the first generation)..or should I just get a powerbook now?

I'm not sure what kind of answers you're looking for. Nobody here knows which processor will be used in the new intel macs, so nobody knows how much faster they will run. In addition, nobody knows when they will be released, and therefore, nobody knows if pro tools will be ported to a universal binary in time or if it will need to run under emulation.

Your guess is as good as anybody else's.

Personally, if I needed a Powerbook now, I would buy one now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.