PDA

View Full Version : Samsung says its next-gen smartphones will have 64-bit processors too

F4FFF
Sep 12, 2013, 01:07 AM
Samsung's mobile business head JK Shin has said that the company's next smartphones will feature a 64-bit CPU, according to the Korea Times. The remarks follows Apple's launch of the iPhone 5s, the first handset with a 64-bit, desktop-like processor -- the A7. Saying that Samsung is aware of Apple's ambitions in China, the exec added that a device with such a chip would come "not in the shortest time," but that "our next smartphones will have 64-bit processing capability." Does that mean a Galaxy S 5 flagship will become Samsung's first with the tech? Cue the rumors and speculation.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/12/samsung-64-bit-cpu/

DariusX
Sep 12, 2013, 01:08 AM
Monkey see, monkey do.

jav6454
Sep 12, 2013, 01:10 AM
....Took them them a day or so to copy that. Not as much as copying, but to acknowledge the fact that MOAR COARS in the mobile space is stupid.

F4FFF
Sep 12, 2013, 01:12 AM
Whats next " Gold Note 3"

Way to go samsung.😏😏

zbarvian
Sep 12, 2013, 01:14 AM
Um, okay? It won't mean a thing if the version of Android it's running isn't 64 bit.

AbyssImpact
Sep 12, 2013, 01:15 AM
Whats next? Samsung galaxy Note "C"? :D:D:D

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 01:16 AM
Monkey see, monkey do.

This goes both ways.

drb1992
Sep 12, 2013, 01:16 AM
Google is lagging behind. Android isn't even fully optimized for 64bit CPUs.

F123D
Sep 12, 2013, 01:19 AM
Monkey see, monkey do.

Just please don't do this.

http://i2.cdnds.net/13/37/618x443/tech-iphone-5c-case_2.jpg

appledes7
Sep 12, 2013, 01:21 AM
Should this really be a surprise to anyone? Our phones will continue to advance. It makes sense for manufacturers to think ahead and try to prepare to help make a more seamless transition.

F4FFF
Sep 12, 2013, 01:24 AM
Should this really be a surprise to anyone? Our phones will continue to advance. It makes sense for manufacturers to think ahead and try to prepare to help make a more seamless transition.u

No its not about 64 bits, but the timing to claim that they will have 64 bits processor in next smartphone. ;)

zedzded
Sep 12, 2013, 01:24 AM
This goes both ways.

Yeah exactly. Iphone 5S with evolutionary panoramic and burst modes.. ooohh :rolleyes:

If Apple add a new feature to an IPhone it's regarded as evolutionary, irrespective of the fact other phone manufacturers have been using it for 2 years plus.... and obviously when the roles are reversed it's Samsung or Sony 'copying' Apple.

Fernandez21
Sep 12, 2013, 02:34 AM
Is android 64bit compatoble? I dont think this would be a good move, seeing how slow android developers are in updating their apps to take advantage of new hardware, i still have apps that arent compatible with my 1080p screen.

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 12, 2013, 02:59 AM
Apple should sue if Samsung copy them on 64bit CPU's!!! No innovation Samsung :p:p :cool:

*Removes tongue from cheek.

throAU
Sep 12, 2013, 03:03 AM
In other news, 64 bit arm designs are available now.

expect all high end arm devices to start using them (including smartphones, tablets, consumer networking gear, embedded devices, etc).

pickaxe
Sep 12, 2013, 03:29 AM
....Took them them a day or so to copy that. Not as much as copying, but to acknowledge the fact that MOAR COARS in the mobile space is stupid.

...but 64-bit memory allocations aren't?

Apollo 13
Sep 12, 2013, 03:34 AM
what's the point if android isn't 64bit? all it is something for Samsung to have on their spec sheet or maybe their next phone will have Samsung's OS on it.

skratch77
Sep 12, 2013, 04:16 AM
You people are so naive.Samsung uses true arm arch in there exynos socs and right now they are using arms a15 big little design and take a freaking guess what arms next gen arch is?

PS arm is the people that designed apples arch and apple pays them a license to use there tech.

Samsung is already at the max a 32bit CPU can use for memory alocation and when they go 4gb they will need to use 64 bit

jav6454
Sep 12, 2013, 04:35 AM
...but 64-bit memory allocations aren't?

64-bit means other things besides memory allocations. Apparently you haven't realized it.

CEmajr
Sep 12, 2013, 04:41 AM
Monkey see, monkey do.

It was expected. Me too Samsung

Wonder if they will feature a fingerprint scanner in the S5

nfl46
Sep 12, 2013, 05:25 AM
Why is this not shocking? Don't worry, the S5 WILL have something similar to Touch ID as well. Everyone saw how ridiculous the Gear watch was...they didn't have an iwatch to copy.

Savor
Sep 12, 2013, 05:46 AM

Wonder if they will feature a fingerprint scanner in the S5I just find ironic you think they are copycats when all Apple ever does is copy the same things and customize it more to their liking and reintroduce it as some fresh idea of their's. Look at their SoC supplier they keep running back to.

Samsung, Google, and many Android OEM and partners have had as many revolutionary things to the industry. Fingerprint scanner introduced by Motorola Atrix two years ago and 64-bit processor inside a design they use for TWO years are the only things to cling onto?

So bigger screens, higher res/ppi, S-Pen, air view, air gestures, eye tracking, quad cores, octa cores, BlinkFeed, BoomSound, Zoe, water/dust resistance, TRIM, Project Road Runner, future 4k res support, Qualcomm's power saving features on the Snapdragon 800, smartphones with OPTICAL ZOOM, Asus Padfone/Fonepad phone/tablet hybrids, memory expansion, removable battery, changeable Kevlar backs, IR blaster, FM radio, Xenon Flash, NFC, Bluetooth data transferring, different external design every year, etc are NO BIG DEAL compared to a 64-bit processor because Apple didnt come up with them first, right?

That ONE thing of pure 64-bit processor bliss into that same year old design is NOW going to change our lives overnight.

My, Apple's progress is such a great thing! Kudos for thinking different that ONE time during the past year!

Lunfai
Sep 12, 2013, 05:52 AM
All I hear is how Apple is wasting efforts on 64 bits but at least this will shut them up now. It's more then memory allocation. Also, for people who are defending Apple, Samsung was obviously going into the 64 bit direction too at some point.

However, Apple never claims they've invented or innovated a phone with 64 bit so people are just blowing that out of the water too.

samcraig
Sep 12, 2013, 06:15 AM
Again I'll state that I see little value in having 64bits in a phone. Tablet maybe.

That being said - did it occur to anyone that Samsung could very well have 64bit phones in their pipeline but since they haven't been announced (to date) never mentioned it. Further - the press/analysts/etc could have been asking if Samsung plans to have 64bit phones in the future and responded to the queries by stating that they did indeed have them in the pipeline.

No that would be crazy. Clearly it's just about them copying Apple and stating they are also working on 64bit phones BECAUSE Apple just announced theirs. It couldn't possibly because the topic was timely...

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 07:10 AM
Why is this not shocking? Don't worry, the S5 WILL have something similar to Touch ID as well. Everyone saw how ridiculous the Gear watch was...they didn't have an iwatch to copy.

And who were they copying when they started the Note series, which essentially started the whole phablet market? Notice LG, HTC, and Sony following suit with their own "Ultra" and "Max" versions?

There's no doubt Samsung copies. But the street goes both ways. Actually, the street is an intersection of many companies copying each other. However, only in one corner, that is to say, only one company (and their followers) doesn't think they're ever copying.

I don't care for the Samsung Gear watch myself, but it's a ludicrous statement to reason that it's a bust because "they didn't have Apple to copy."

watchthisspace
Sep 12, 2013, 07:10 AM

Way to go samsung.😏😏

Look in the grand scale of things. More devices going 64bit the better. It's a technological improvement that should not be compared to the colour of a smartphone.

So thank you Samsung for pushing 64bit computing forward, just how Apple are.

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 07:14 AM
However, Apple never claims they've invented or innovated a phone with 64 bit so people are just blowing that out of the water too.

I didn't watch the keynote in full myself, but I think this is an interesting observation.

I wonder if people are clawing at straws to keep the argument that Apple is innovating and pushing technologies. To some degree, I think they are, just in a very narrow field of vision. And, obviously, very slowly. But anything seemingly new, and everyone will jump on it to declare it "innovation" to uphold Apple's reputation.

Klosefabrinio
Sep 12, 2013, 07:50 AM
juniors(apple) do strike some times but that doesn't means the senior wont make a comeback and strike even harder this time.:rolleyes:
and to all those who say samsung is copying: ARM makes these processors, it's their business, they provide these processors to these smartphone vendors.

Michael Goff
Sep 12, 2013, 09:53 AM
Monkey see, monkey do.

Really? We're claiming copying on what is -actually- the evolutionary step of processors? :confused:

skratch77
Sep 12, 2013, 09:58 AM
Really? We're claiming copying on what is -actually- the evolutionary step of processors? :confused:

Its just fun watching the posts they make and don't even notice Intel has 64bit mobile CPUs already and Samsung right now is using arms latest a15 32bit CPU and the only step Samsung has is using arms next CPU arch with is the big little a50 series and who would of thought they were based on there 32/64 bit code!

lazard
Sep 12, 2013, 10:00 AM
Considering the next iteration of their S and Note lines will likely have 4GB of ram, it's logical that they would move to 64 bit processors...unlike Apple with their 1-2 gb of ram.

dojoman
Sep 12, 2013, 10:01 AM
This goes both ways.

Nope only one does better the other just follows.

Michael Goff
Sep 12, 2013, 10:03 AM
Its just fun watching the posts they make and don't even notice Intel has 64bit mobile CPUs already and Samsung right now is using arms latest a15 32bit CPU and the only step Samsung has is using arms next CPU arch with is the big little a50 series and who would of thought they were based on there 32/64 bit code!

The 64-bit Bay Trail, right?

Technarchy
Sep 12, 2013, 10:07 AM
Hopefully this means kitkat, not just touchwiz, will have 64 bit support.

Seeing as android is essentially Linux, going 64 bit brings us closer to the grand vision of a smartphone doubling as desktop replacement.

Add a doc, keyboard, mouse and monitor and really, 90% of the computing needs for majority of people would easily be met.

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 10:08 AM

Aye.

And when Apple goes to four cores, or when they double the RAM, or when they increase the PPI, or when they increase battery sizes, or when they add a larger screen, let's see if the OP will be as equally diligent in pointing out which monkey is doing what then.

sportsfrk214
Sep 12, 2013, 10:12 AM
Not sure why Samsung would say this. The #1 way to get people to not buy your current products is to tell them what's coming next. Could you imagine if 5 months ago Apple had said the next iPhone will have 64-bit, fingerprint scanning, etc? No one would buy an iPhone until that new model came out. Samsung is a bit silly for talking about future phones when they should be worrying about selling the current ones.

Michael Goff
Sep 12, 2013, 10:13 AM
Aye.

And when Apple goes to four cores, or when they double the RAM, or when they increase the PPI, or when they increase battery sizes, or when they add a larger screen, let's see if the OP will be as equally diligent in pointing out which monkey is doing what then.

Of course not, because Apple never copies.... not even when they do.

It's only cool to say Samsung copies.

Oohara
Sep 12, 2013, 10:14 AM
Aye.

Or adding a swipe-in notification center with quick toggles and brightness control etc.....lol......I think with this guy it's more like monkey no see, monkey no hear :D

skratch77
Sep 12, 2013, 10:21 AM
Not sure why Samsung would say this. The #1 way to get people to not buy your current products is to tell them what's coming next. Could you imagine if 5 months ago Apple had said the next iPhone will have 64-bit, fingerprint scanning, etc? No one would buy an iPhone until that new model came out. Samsung is a bit silly for talking about future phones when they should be worrying about selling the current ones.

I pre ordered a note 3 and could care less about 64 bit when even kit Kat android won't support it.

Lunfai
Sep 12, 2013, 10:26 AM

Samsung doesn't care much, they have new flagship devices every 1/2 year. Both different platters but it's pretty common knowledge if you want the greattest and latest. Kind of like how we know not to buy an iPhone 5 when 5S was close, some people honestly don't care that they get locked into a 2 year contract but for those wanting the latest and greattest then they'll wait.

S4 -> Note repeat.

lazard
Sep 12, 2013, 10:26 AM

People are not dumb. They know that a new/upgraded product is always around the corner when it comes to tech. You can hold off upgrading until the new product comes out, but guess what...another upgraded product will be available in a year. If people want to upgrade, they will. If they play the waiting game, they will never upgrade.

jrswizzle
Sep 12, 2013, 10:53 AM
It's not copying.....natural progressions in processor tech.

And honestly - Samsung has more reason to jump on 64-bit sooner rather than later as the Note 3 has hit the 3 GB RAM max.

So please.....it was great of Apple to release 64-bit and somewhat kickstart public awareness. But don't think Samsung hasn't been looking at this for a least a little while.

Tones2
Sep 12, 2013, 01:12 PM
64bit is cool for paving the way for the future, but with only 2GB of memory, it has almost NO advantage to the iPhone 5s in and of itself.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57602372-94/the-real-reasons-apples-64-bit-a7-chip-makes-sense/

So good for Apple for introducing this early to have it available in 2017 when they get above 4GB of RAM. :) It might be more relevant to a Samsung phone in the nearer future, because there pace of RAM increase is much quicker.

jrswizzle
Sep 12, 2013, 01:46 PM
Aye.

This is completely the wrong way of looking at it - you are, essentially, stooping to the OP's level in order to make him seem like some mindless nutjob.

The best response to someone saying Samsung is copying Apple is by saying:

"That's preposterous. Advances in processor technology happen across the board and 64-bit mobile chips are simply the next step. I'd bet Samsung had already been thinking about 64-bit chips, even before the iPhone 5S was announced because the Note 3 is at the RAM max for a 32-bit system (3GB).

Congratulations to Apple for finally being ahead of the curve. But stop pretending its a "copying" situation.....this whole "copying" nonsense needs to stop."

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 01:50 PM
This is completely the wrong way of looking at it - you are, essentially, stooping to the OP's level in order to make him seem like some mindless nutjob.

The best response to someone saying Samsung is copying Apple is by saying:

"That's preposterous. Advances in processor technology happen across the board and 64-bit mobile chips are simply the next step. I'd bet Samsung had already been thinking about 64-bit chips, even before the iPhone 5S was announced because the Note 3 is at the RAM max for a 32-bit system (3GB).

Congratulations to Apple for finally being ahead of the curve. But stop pretending its a "copying" situation.....this whole "copying" nonsense needs to stop."

I think you are seriously telling this to the wrong person.

ceva321
Sep 12, 2013, 01:50 PM
Should this really be a surprise to anyone? Our phones will continue to advance. It makes sense for manufacturers to think ahead and try to prepare to help make a more seamless transition.

Someone with sense!

Yes it's not about copying but advancing with technology

blackhand1001
Sep 12, 2013, 01:52 PM
Um, okay? It won't mean a thing if the version of Android it's running isn't 64 bit.

Android can be compiled in 64bit. There already are 64bit branches.

----------

The 64-bit Bay Trail, right?

Clovertrail and medfield already supported 64bit. It just made no sense to install 64bit operating systems on them as they didn't have 4gb of ram or more. You can install 64bit windows on a clovertrail windows 8 tab if you want.

mylop
Sep 12, 2013, 01:58 PM
Just please don't do this.

Image (http://i2.cdnds.net/13/37/618x443/tech-iphone-5c-case_2.jpg)

I do think that looks awful. Not only the colour, but also the fact that you can only see "hon" of iPhone. I though obscuring/altering corporate logos etc. was a real no-no.

jrswizzle
Sep 12, 2013, 02:02 PM
I think you are seriously telling this to the wrong person.

Nope - I'm telling YOU, because of you're love of making sweeping generalizations ala "If APPLE and ANDROID did X, all you Apple fanboys would be doing Y".....

When someone makes a dumb statement like:

"Haha look, Samsung is copying Apple with the 64-bit chip"

The INCORRECT response is:

"Yeah right - and what will it be when Apple does a larger screen, more RAM, etc etc"

That response does two things:

(1) stirs up the pot

(2) does nothing to refute the idiotic claim that Samsung is copying Apple.

My response on the other hand, directly refute the claim by offering EVIDENCE that Samsung was likely thinking about 64-bit chips anyway because of hitting the 3GB RAM ceiling of 32-bit systems in the Note 3.

And guess what? I didn't have to offend anyone to do it.....

Am I seriously coaching you on how to properly refute/defend an argument made against Samsung?

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 02:05 PM
Nope - I'm telling YOU, because of you're love of making sweeping generalizations ala "If APPLE and ANDROID did X, all you Apple fanboys would be doing Y".....

"Yeah right - and what will it be when Apple does a larger screen, more RAM, etc etc"

(1) stirs up the pot

My response on the other hand, directly refute the claim by offering EVIDENCE that Samsung was likely thinking about 64-bit chips anyway because of hitting the 3GB RAM ceiling of 32-bit systems in the Note 3.

Am I seriously coaching you on how to properly refute/defend an argument made against Samsung?

Get your facts straight. My response to the OP was:

This goes both ways.

The response you keep referring to was not to the OP. Go ahead, check.

And in general, I'm sorry comparing iOS to Android so exposes your beloved operating system's shortcomings. It seems to really hurt you.

jrswizzle
Sep 12, 2013, 02:11 PM
Get your facts straight. My response to the OP was:

The response you keep referring to was not to the OP. Go ahead, check.

And in general, I'm sorry comparing iOS to Android so exposes your beloved operating system's shortcomings. It seems to really hurt you.

Ok?

I was specifically referring to the post I quoted.....my point still stands.

Michael Goff
Sep 12, 2013, 02:11 PM

----------

Clovertrail and medfield already supported 64bit. It just made no sense to install 64bit operating systems on them as they didn't have 4gb of ram or more. You can install 64bit windows on a clovertrail windows 8 tab if you want.

I was not aware of that, either of the facts you put up really.

zbarvian
Sep 12, 2013, 02:15 PM

----------

Yes, it certainly can be, but it isn't. And also, I doubt the transition to 64-bit applications will be more of a headache for Android developers.

appledes7
Sep 12, 2013, 02:17 PM

Off topic I know, but I am looking into this (http://anandtech.com/show/7320/asus-transformer-book-t100-atom-z3740-inside), can I install 64-bit Windows 8 on it?

Mr. Retrofire
Sep 12, 2013, 02:18 PM
Samsung says its next-gen smartphones will have 64-bit processors too
64-Bit does not improve the performance of ARM processors, because many existing 32-Bit ARM-based apps use already NEON (128-Bit SIMD instructions) and usually no integer data longer than 32 bits. So 32-Bit registers are enough for those apps. The switch to 64-Bit is more a preparation for the future (larger RAM and larger data types, like 64-Bit integers).

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 02:23 PM
Ok?

I was specifically referring to the post I quoted.....my point still stands.

I'm asking him a question to see what the OP will do in the future.

What's your point? I can't talk to other posters? I know you like me, but c'mon.

Your points are fine. But I think you're wrongfully directing them at me. You should look at your own party first. Like I've said before, you're kidding yourself if you think the level of hypocrisy between Apple and Samsung are equal. Hardly. lol.

FlatlinerG
Sep 12, 2013, 02:24 PM

(1) stirs up the pot

Yeah well my dad can beat up your dad!

All kidding aside, your post is extremely valid. Was the switch to 64-bit CPU's inevitable? Absolutely. Do we know if Samsung is announcing this because Apple did it? We will never know. I, for one, don't get paid enough to know what goes on in Samsung exec meetings.

Why can't we just be excited about the advancement of the masses? Even if a company wants to cash in on the successes of another, IT'S BUSINESS. Last I checked, neither Samsung or Apple were listed as not-for-profit.

I had a point to this response, but instead I just typed up my thoughts into the reply. I hope what I just said even made sense..

jrswizzle
Sep 12, 2013, 02:27 PM
EDIT: Deleted.

Mr. Retrofire
Sep 12, 2013, 02:28 PM
And honestly - Samsung has more reason to jump on 64-bit sooner rather than later as the Note 3 has hit the 3 GB RAM max.
The RAM limit is more a kernel and a MMU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_management_unit) (hardware) problem. AFAIK, 32-Bit darwin (OS X) had no problem with RAM > 4 GB. That's the reason why i think iOS (a version of OS X) has no practical RAM limit, if the hardware supports this too.

jrswizzle
Sep 12, 2013, 02:31 PM
The RAM limit is more a kernel and a MMU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_management_unit) (hardware) problem. AFAIK, 32-Bit darwin (OS X) had no problem with RAM > 4 GB. That's the reason why i think iOS (a version of OS X) has no practical RAM limit, if the hardware supports this too.

Interesting - admittedly, I don't know a lot about it. My experiences with 32-bit OSes on laptops always involved 3GB RAM or less....and it was something I read in an article about why Apple would move this way for the future.

Anyhow, it'll be interesting to see where this all goes. I have no doubt there'll be a great push to create more robust applications.

Don't know if I'm ready for my phone to be my computer yet though :p

blackhand1001
Sep 12, 2013, 03:09 PM
Yes, it certainly can be, but it isn't. And also, I doubt the transition to 64-bit applications will be more of a headache for Android developers.

No it won't be. The architecture of android means that the apps themselves are architecture independent. All that will need to be ported to 64bit is the dalvik virtual machine.

----------

Off topic I know, but I am looking into this (http://anandtech.com/show/7320/asus-transformer-book-t100-atom-z3740-inside), can I install 64-bit Windows 8 on it?

Most likely yes, but theres honestly no reason to. Benchmarks and real world tests show that 64bit OS's provide no real performance gain over their 32bit counterparts unless you need over 4gb of ram in a single process.

chagla
Sep 12, 2013, 03:19 PM
Monkey see, monkey do.

you are absolutely right. no touch phones existed before iphone. apple invented phones, LTE, 64bit, cereals and unicorns. wait, maybe they existed but they were simply not magical.

--
for the rest, 64bit with 1gb (tbd?) is simply marketing gimmick.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/166244-iphone-5s-the-64-bit-a7-chip-is-marketing-fluff-and-wont-improve-performance

its like being excited when speed limit is 120mph but your cars max speed is 60mph!

PaulOBrain
Sep 12, 2013, 03:30 PM
Aye.

Well if he doesn't you'll certainly be here to reiterate that point several times over!

zbarvian
Sep 12, 2013, 03:43 PM
No it won't be. The architecture of android means that the apps themselves are architecture independent. All that will need to be ported to 64bit is the dalvik virtual machine.

----------

Most likely yes, but theres honestly no reason to. Benchmarks and real world tests show that 64bit OS's provide no real performance gain over their 32bit counterparts unless you need over 4gb of ram in a single process.

Right, that's what I said.

Dr McKay
Sep 12, 2013, 03:53 PM
I'm surprised Samsung hasnt already to be honest, at the rate they increase the specs, the GS5 will probably have 4GB of RAM :cool:

blackhand1001
Sep 12, 2013, 09:36 PM

Oh sorry. I didn't see their word doubt. Thought you said it would be a headache.

matttye
Sep 13, 2013, 01:37 AM
Android isn't even a 64bit OS so this is about as useful as a chocolate fire guard. Unless they know something we don't. It's likely they're just not going to let Apple get away with a spec-war advantage though.

thunng8
Sep 13, 2013, 01:52 AM

----------

No it can't run 64 bit windows. Nothing to do with the CPU, just drivers aren't ready.

There will be performance gains if it is compatible. No need for process to be more than 4gb. Just about all applications will gain performance because of access to more registers.

adder7712
Sep 13, 2013, 02:03 AM

Wonder if they will feature a fingerprint scanner in the S5

Actually, Apple copied Motorola. The original Atrix has a fingerprint sensor.

thunng8
Sep 13, 2013, 02:10 AM

Incorrect. Just look at geekbench, Handbrake, photoshop and countless other examples. And no they do not have to be over 4gb.

----------

Actually, Apple copied Motorola. The original Atrix has a fingerprint sensor.

Except it didn't work well. We will have to see if Apple's is better but from the demos so far, it seems to work well.

weespeed
Sep 13, 2013, 02:38 AM
Except it didn't work well. We will have to see if Apple's is better but from the demos so far, it seems to work well.

Still doesn't change history. Fact Motorola had a fingerprint sensor in the Atrix 4G. Two years before Apple. And they both did the same thing. Unlock your phone with your fingerprint.

Just because a company makes something popular and maybe work better doesn't change history.

Saying if Samsung were to include a fingerprint sensor is copying Apple is a complete lie. If anything they copied Motorola and other PDAs before that.

Oohara
Sep 13, 2013, 03:24 AM
Still doesn't change history. Fact Motorola had a fingerprint sensor in the Atrix 4G. Two years before Apple. And they both did the same thing. Unlock your phone with your fingerprint.

Just because a company makes something popular and maybe work better doesn't change history.

Saying if Samsung were to include a fingerprint sensor is copying Apple is a complete lie. If anything they copied Motorola and other PDAs before that.

There's one on the LG eXpo (http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/20/lg-expo-unboxing-and-hands-on/) as well, and this one is from way back in 2009. Made by AuthenTec, the very company Apple bought to sort out the FP reader on the 5S. LOL.

Savor
Sep 13, 2013, 03:30 AM
I'm actually waiting when Samsung will actually release a true successor to the Galaxy Camera. I think that device and the S4 Zoom are interesting only because you can see Android move beyond just smartphones and tablets. As good as cameras are on current flagship smartphones, it is still no match for dedicated cameras that have bigger optics, optical zoom, and Xenon flash. I'm going to Hawaii next year and dont see myself taking photos with my phone with crappy digital zoom . I wish Nikon and Canon can start using Android too so I can see my phones and camera communicate with each other.

And I feel Samsung needs to release a YOUM phone already. I say bring back more clamshells to remedy bulky phones. Imagine folding ypur tablet or phone like a book. Might be thicker but we have normal slates/slabs reaching at 6mm now. At least Samsung is moving into metal next year.

As for Apple, I wondered what happened to that television they were going to make? Ive already seen voice controlled and motion gestures from a Samsung Smart TV. So the next big thing from Apple that isnt another an updated phone or tablet is a smartwatch? Been around for ages from LG and Sony. Watches is just another added accessory. Give me Google Glass over it anyday.

None of them have excited me much this year. Might as well anticipate for the Sony PS4. At least a home console can give me 5-10 years of entertainment.

TommyA6
Sep 14, 2013, 01:23 PM

You can also use it for iTunes and App store purchases. And yes, if Samsung indeed puts a FP scanner in their next smartphone it will actually be copying Apple. You know, you DO NOT copy a failed product such as Motorola Atrix or even worse that abomination from LG. You copy a successful product or a technology (which 5s will probably be).

matttye
Sep 15, 2013, 07:35 AM

The implementations are different.

As usual, Apple takes something that exists and improves it. They've implemented fingerprint scanning for purchases in place of putting in a password. Hopefully in future they'll let you login to apps and websites by scanning your print (by storing passwords that are accessed by scanning your print; not by sharing your print with websites/apps). Also, all you have to do is place your finger on the scanner and it opens up and unlocks on the 5s. With the Atrix you still had to hit the power button to turn the screen on and then scan.

I haven't read about whether TouchID works in the dark or not, but the Atrix scanner doesn't. Would be interested to know this, if anyone has read any information about it.

onthecouchagain
Sep 15, 2013, 11:39 AM

As usual, Apple takes something that exists and improves it. They've implemented fingerprint scanning for purchases in place of putting in a password. Hopefully in future they'll let you login to apps and websites by scanning your print (by storing passwords that are accessed by scanning your print; not by sharing your print with websites/apps). Also, all you have to do is place your finger on the scanner and it opens up and unlocks on the 5s. With the Atrix you still had to hit the power button to turn the screen on and then scan.

I haven't read about whether TouchID works in the dark or not, but the Atrix scanner doesn't. Would be interested to know this, if anyone has read any information about it.

It's also multiple years later, so I would hope the technology has gotten better.

matttye
Sep 15, 2013, 11:48 AM
It's also multiple years later, so I would hope the technology has gotten better.

Just saying I don't think you can say Apple is copying Motorola when the implementations are quite different. Not only is the actual method of scanning the print different (a swipe on the Atrix vs. simply holding your finger still on the 5S), but Apple has also implemented additional functionality beyond the lockscreen.

PollyK
Sep 16, 2013, 11:46 AM
Going 64bit is the natural transition of things. But in Samsung 's case it even makes more sense as they already have Tizen which is 64bit compliant.

jrswizzle
Sep 16, 2013, 11:51 AM

Wasn't the scanner on the Atrix an optical scanner (the traditional red laser line looking one) as well vs the capacitive scanner on the 5S?

The tech in Apple's is quiet a bit different. Some similar functions, but the implementation is lightyears different.

daveathall
Sep 16, 2013, 12:01 PM
Seems to me that the difference is that if Apple do it first the competition are copying, if the competition does it first, Apple are making it better and not copying. :rolleyes:

matttye
Sep 16, 2013, 12:11 PM
Wasn't the scanner on the Atrix an optical scanner (the traditional red laser line looking one) as well vs the capacitive scanner on the 5S?

The tech in Apple's is quiet a bit different. Some similar functions, but the implementation is lightyears different.

Steve Jobs once said, "You've got to start with the customer experience and work back toward the technology - not the other way around."

The Atrix stuck the fingerprint scanner the only place it would fit, just for the sake of saying they had the technology first. Never mind whether it works well or not. Never mind if it's awkward to reach. Not to mention that the net was flooded with reports of it not working or failing after some time.

Apple just replaced the home button that the users use countless times a day already. The button that already wakes up the phone. Is there a more logical place to put it? I don't think so.

Not sure how either scanner works, but apparently the motorola scanner worked even if your fingers were wet - if that provides any clues :p

Lone Deranger
Sep 16, 2013, 12:13 PM
Yeah exactly. Iphone 5S with evolutionary panoramic and burst modes.. ooohh :rolleyes:

If Apple add a new feature to an IPhone it's regarded as evolutionary, irrespective of the fact other phone manufacturers have been using it for 2 years plus.... and obviously when the roles are reversed it's Samsung or Sony 'copying' Apple.

And that too, goes both ways:

Fandroid would say:

If Samsung add a new feature to an Galaxy it's regarded as evolutionary, irrespective of the fact other phone manufacturers have been using it for 2 years plus.... and obviously when the roles are reversed it's Apple or Sony 'copying' Samsung.

These arguments are pointless.

matttye
Sep 16, 2013, 12:17 PM
Seems to me that the difference is that if Apple do it first the competition are copying, if the competition does it first, Apple are making it better and not copying. :rolleyes:

The implementations are very different. I'm not sure how anyone could say they've copied Motorola. :confused:

Atrix: -

Method: swipe your finger.
Uses: unlocking only.

iPhone: -

Method: hold your finger still on it.
Uses: unlocking and purchases.

PollyK
Sep 16, 2013, 12:43 PM
The implementations are very different. I'm not sure how anyone could say they've copied Motorola. :confused:

Apple

Really? This is your explanation of Apple not copying from the Atrix? Basically people are saying Apple copied the idea of a fingerprint scanner period. Who cares where they put it on the phone. HTC has it on the back, but you can be sure that won't stop the Apple loyalist from saying HTC copied. In the end, I really don't care. But it's discussions like this that make Apple loyalist (not saying you're one) look real nutty. This idea that Apple invented everything is really nutty. Or the thinking that Apple puts existing features on their iPhone, features that others have had for years, is Apple just "perfecting" said features, and not copying.

matttye
Sep 16, 2013, 12:57 PM
Really? This is your explanation of Apple not copying from the Atrix? Basically people are saying Apple copied the idea of a fingerprint scanner period. Who cares where they put it on the phone. HTC has it on the back, but you can be sure that won't stop the Apple loyalist from saying HTC copied. In the end, I really don't care. But it's discussions like this that make Apple loyalist (not saying you're one) look real nutty. This idea that Apple invented everything is really nutty.

I know Motorola were the first to bring it to a phone, but fingerprint scanners themselves have existed for a very long time.

Going by the same logic, if Apple have copied Motorola because they were the first to implement a fingerprint scanner in a phone, then everyone that releases a 64bit mobile processor from here on out must be copying Apple.

I don't think you can take something that's already well established, put it in a new device and then claim that everyone who does the same thereafter is a copycat :p

PollyK
Sep 16, 2013, 01:10 PM
I don't think you can take something that's already well established, put it in a new device and then claim that everyone who does the same thereafter is a copycat :p

This I agree with. But this is the nuttiness I speak of. Honestly, not all fanboys are created equal. Just one read at Apple Insider or some of the comments here, really are shocking. These people truly speak with cult mentality.

matttye
Sep 16, 2013, 01:19 PM
This I agree with. But this is the nuttiness I speak of. Honestly, not all fanboys are created equal. Just one read at Apple Insider or some of the comments here, really are shocking. These people truly speak with cult mentality.

I know the type you speak of.

I'm not one to think that Apple invents everything and everyone else copies. One thing I do think everyone copied Apple for, though, is multi touch. Just about every smartphone on the planet uses gestures Apple used in the first iPhone.

(and yes, I'm aware that Apple acquired a lot of its' multi-touch technology when it acquired FingerWorks)

daveathall
Sep 16, 2013, 04:19 PM

If the Atrix came after the iPhone are you seriously telling me that the Apple loyalists on this forum would not all be wringing their hands, pulling their hair out and shouting "copying"? Think about it, happens all the time here. You could set your watch by it.

matttye
Sep 16, 2013, 04:27 PM
If the Atrix came after the iPhone are you seriously telling me that the Apple loyalists on this forum would not all be wringing their hands, pulling their hair out and shouting "copying"? Think about it, happens all the time here. You could set your watch by it.

Probably. It makes no more sense to suggest Apple are copying than it would for 'Apple loyalists' to suggest Motorola are copying if the roles were reversed though.

jrswizzle
Sep 16, 2013, 04:30 PM
This whole idea of "Company X copied company Y" is ludicrous.....

Apple DID NOT "copy" anyone. Their implementation of the Touch ID is lightyears different than the Atrix.

SAME AS....

Samsung isn't COPYING Apple by putting a 64-bit chip in their next smartphones. It's idiotic to claim "copycat" when....

(1) Company A takes an idea that failed miserably, implements it differently using different technology and makes it successful.

(2) Company B follows a natural progression in technology advancement even though Company A did it first.

This isn't COPYING.

Grow up.

----------

Of course, some would. And they'd be stupid and wrong.

Doesn't mean we need to bring this up and perpetuate these ridiculous generalizations......

Saying "Well if roles were reversed, Apple fans would be saying the same thing" doesn't make the claim Apple is copying Moto any more true.....

Everyone just ends up looking like a fool.

skratch77
Sep 16, 2013, 11:29 PM
I know Motorola were the first to bring it to a phone, but fingerprint scanners themselves have existed for a very long time.

Going by the same logic, if Apple have copied Motorola because they were the first to implement a fingerprint scanner in a phone, then everyone that releases a 64bit mobile processor from here on out must be copying Apple.

No apple uses arm cortex arch and licenses its tech and Samsung just by chance or by default is using there last 32 bit arch,the a15 big little setup that is using arms last gen before going to 64 bit.

There is nothing Samsung can do after there a15 big little soc,arms next gen cores are all 64 bit and based on the a50 series v8 arch.

Apple was the first to use arms newest instruction set but there is no where to go with arm staying 32 bit.every chip from here on out will be 64 bit after a15.

Blau
Sep 16, 2013, 11:33 PM

Way to go samsung.😏😏

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/08/apples-light-gold-iphone-option-sends-samsung-scurrying.html

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/09/pathetic-htc-scrambles-to-show-upcoming-gold-phone-option.html

daveathall
Sep 17, 2013, 12:35 AM
Probably. It makes no more sense to suggest Apple are copying than it would for 'Apple loyalists' to suggest Motorola are copying if the roles were reversed though.

Of course, some would. And they'd be stupid and wrong.

Doesn't mean we need to bring this up and perpetuate these ridiculous generalizations......

Saying "Well if roles were reversed, Apple fans would be saying the same thing" doesn't make the claim Apple is copying Moto any more true.....

Everyone just ends up looking like a fool.

TBH, I couldn't give a damn if anyone copies anyone just so long as my phone is the best that can be, if it uses copied technology, so be it, I'm not bothered.

We are getting to a plateau where the natural progression of technology will dictate that company "A" will release something first because company "B" keynote or whatever it is called comes after company "A" and the cycle will continue on company B's next announcement. Should keep the "copy brigade" busy though. :)

SlCKB0Y
Sep 17, 2013, 07:00 AM
[url]http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/09/pathetic-htc-scrambles-to-show-upcoming-gold-phone-option.html

Good for you! It's really refreshing when someone can source a high quality article which is devoid of any Apple bias - I knew this as soon as I read the title:
"Pathetic: HTC Scrambles to Show Upcoming Gold Phone Option".

Here's some more neutrally titled articles:

"Samsung and LG on the Run to Integrate Inferior Fingerprint Technology into their Somewhat Smartphones"

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/09/samsung-and-lg-on-the-run-to-integrate-inferior-fingerprint-technology-into-their-somewhat-smartphones.html

"Apple to Inflict Billions of Dollars' Worth of Pain on Samsung"

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/09/apple-to-inflict-billions-of-dollars-worth-of-pain-on-samsung.html

:rolleyes: