Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Hi

I've checked the forum and found various threads indicating how to clean install ML.

All indicate the App Store as the location to download ML.

However, ML came pre-installed on my iMac and when I option-click purchases there is no option to download ML.

So I am stuck. How does one get a ML to complete a full clean install ?

:cool:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You use the Recovery Partition.

However, there are few reasons why a clean install is necessary. Unless you have deleted vast swathes of your system files, or installed something pervasive like MacPorts.
A clean install is an unnecessary solution to most issues, and there is usually a quicker and easier method of solving the problem.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
You use the Recovery Partition. However, there are few reasons why a clean install is necessary.

Actually I had to bring in the iMac for a repair and noticed that the "genius" at the bar had left a "applecare" account on the iMac. Since this mac is used for professional stuff, i'd rather clean install than try to hunt down any form of mal-whatever...

On the partition, they don't show up, so I opted for a disk utility disk erase and that forced the clean install.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Boot holding cmd r and install from there. If the partition isn't available it'll download a clean install. Simple.

That said you can delete the AppleCare account from your user account with ease. It'll promt and ask of you want to delete the users files too.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Boot holding cmd r and install from there. If the partition isn't available it'll download a clean install. Simple.

That said you can delete the AppleCare account from your user account with ease. It'll promt and ask of you want to delete the users files too.

The issue is not the applecare account, is that for a hardware fix there is no reason to touch the software... from a user account perspective. So as the genius was messy, I prefer to do a full clean setup.

Actually cmd+opt+R is even better for re-install.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
for a hardware fix there is no reason to touch the software... from a user account perspective.
He may have had to run software to determine that it was indeed a hardware fault.
But if you want to do a clean install to ensure that there is nothing left on your Mac that shouldn't be there, fair enough. This is one situation where a reinstall is necessary to achieve what you want.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The issue is not the applecare account, is that for a hardware fix there is no reason to touch the software... from a user account perspective. So as the genius was messy, I prefer to do a full clean setup.

Actually cmd+opt+R is even better for re-install.

The only thing I would expect them not to boot the machine for is replacement of the bottom plate. I would be annoyed if they hadn't tested the machine after anything else!!

There is nothing from the apple user account that would effect your system.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
There is nothing from the apple user account that would effect your system.

A little misunderstanding here.

- genius should cleanup after they do their work, its good housekeeping

- applecare had "Admin" rights, so just cleaning out the account is not 100% certain

It comes down to ; I can trust a worker that works well, I cannot trust a sloppy worker.

Thats why I opted for the clean install.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I admit the tech was sloppy but all that would have been run was a hardware test and possibly a soak test depending on hardware replaced.

In the future it's always best to enable a guest account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.