PDA

View Full Version : Get data off of PB hard drive?

xFU3Lx
Nov 24, 2005, 09:59 PM
A few months back, my Powerbook got fried. Water damage, not even sure how it happened, I just woke up to it in a puddle of water.

But anyways, Im planning to just ebay it or somethin for whatever I can get for it. How can I get my videos, music, and pictures off of the hard drive since it won't boot up. Do I need to just take the HD out and put it in another powerbook or hook it up to any other mac? I'm not sure how that works. Advice please:)

aquajet
Nov 24, 2005, 10:24 PM
Ouch that sucks.:( But what exactly do you mean by "it won't boot up"? Does the powerbook turn on, but won't boot to the desktop? Or is it completely dead? Regardless, one option is to remove the hard drive and install it into an external 2.5" firewire/usb 2 drive case.

tuartboy
Nov 24, 2005, 10:26 PM
http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10502969

That adapter works well and will allow you to get your data off your laptop drive (if it's recoverable...)

Best of luck.

iEdd
Nov 25, 2005, 03:02 AM
$5 for a 2.5" usb case off ebay?

generik
Nov 25, 2005, 03:38 AM
Was the PB on when the water hit it?

For all you know it might still be recoverable.

Will Cheyney
Nov 25, 2005, 05:08 AM
If the machine still boots, you might be able to start it in Firewire target mode (hold down T during startup). If not, the only option is going to be to remove the HD and either get the adaptor shown above or put it in another Apple laptop.

xFU3Lx
Nov 25, 2005, 03:27 PM
Ouch that sucks.:( But what exactly do you mean by "it won't boot up"? Does the powerbook turn on, but won't boot to the desktop? Or is it completely dead? Regardless, one option is to remove the hard drive and install it into an external 2.5" firewire/usb 2 drive case.It powers on, but I get no screen image, no sounds from anything but the fans, which turn on full power.

And in response to another post, the PB was on for a good 6-7 hours in the water I assume, since I woke up to it locked up on the screen saver while in the water.

generik
Nov 25, 2005, 04:20 PM
It powers on, but I get no screen image, no sounds from anything but the fans, which turn on full power.

And in response to another post, the PB was on for a good 6-7 hours in the water I assume, since I woke up to it locked up on the screen saver while in the water.

Sounds quite bad, but at least it powers up.

If I were you I'd dismantle the whole thing and leave it somewhere nice and warm for a couple days.. say besides a fireplace.

That might do the trick.

xFU3Lx
Nov 25, 2005, 09:38 PM
Sounds quite bad, but at least it powers up.

If I were you I'd dismantle the whole thing and leave it somewhere nice and warm for a couple days.. say besides a fireplace.

That might do the trick.This was months ago. I just had a friend of my grandma's look at it, and he couldn't do anything to it. Its dead. Apple quoted $1300 to repair:eek: I won it at the Tiger release, so no real loss, so I'm gonna just sell it on ebay for what I can get and put that towards an iMac. But damn, if I ever find out who did this to my baby I'll kill them:mad: