PDA

View Full Version : Is 2012 MacBook Air screen good enough for photographer?

hulk2012
Sep 12, 2013, 06:35 AM
I'm a photographer and have got 2012 MacBook Air i5 1.7 4gb with calibrated LG screen and thought of upgrade to 15" rMBP. Do you think the color accuracy is worth the upgrade?

The Man
Sep 12, 2013, 08:00 AM
I'm a photographer and have got 2012 MacBook Air i5 1.7 4gb with calibrated LG screen and thought of upgrade to 15" rMBP. Do you think the color accuracy is worth the upgrade?

Well, calibration goes only so far. I believe the retina display has close to sRGB gamut. And because it's IPS it has a very wide viewing angle. These two things make the retina MBP more suitable for a photographer. Although the Air is more portable. I would wait for Haswell to arrive in the rMBP because increased battery life makes it even better for a traveling photographer.

hulk2012
Sep 12, 2013, 08:06 AM
Well, calibration goes only so far. I believe the retina display has close to sRGB gamut. And because it's IPS it has a very wide viewing angle. These two things make the retina MBP more suitable for a photographer. Although the Air is more portable. I would wait for Haswell to arrive in the rMBP because increased battery life makes it even better for a traveling photographer.

Can't wait until mid 2014 for a Haswell. Gotta choose some now to begin..

BlockEight88
Sep 12, 2013, 08:19 AM
I'm kind of in the same boat you are in. I desperately need a laptop and of course when everyone does, Apple is toying with us and can't mention a word on the release date of the rMBPs or update them in fact.

The only thing the MBA has going for it is haswell. Form factor comes in second, I personally think its too light and doesn't feel very stable.

The screen looks entirely washed out compared to any other macbook. Go to best buy and take a look for yourself.

Doublea6
Sep 12, 2013, 06:36 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat you are in. I desperately need a laptop and of course when everyone does, Apple is toying with us and can't mention a word on the release date of the rMBPs or update them in fact.

The only thing the MBA has going for it is haswell. Form factor comes in second, I personally think its too light and doesn't feel very stable.

The screen looks entirely washed out compared to any other macbook. Go to best buy and take a look for yourself.

The screen looks great! when you don't have any other screens around it haha. To me I find the air very stable, I wouldn't want it any lighter though. But that's all jus personal opinion.

jdechko
Sep 12, 2013, 07:09 PM
I'd say it depends on the final use for your pictures.

Are your clients going to be viewing them primarily on their (uncalibrated) computer monitors, are they printing them out for albums or are your pictures going to be in some form of publication?

My point is, as the "professionalism" (sorry for the term, I'm certainly not implying that you're not a professional) of the photos increases, the demand for color-accurate photography increases. So, on the topic of this subject, a calibrated low-end monitor like the ones found on the Air and classic Pro would be fine for most "normal" editing, but if you're working publications, you'll probably want a professional monitor anyway.

I'll back this up by saying that while I'm not a photographer, my wife, who is more of an amateur photographer, has done some pretty nice work on her non-calbrated 2010 13" MBP.

Miltz
Sep 13, 2013, 01:08 AM
No it is not. (if you are a "real" photographer)

AXs
Sep 13, 2013, 01:21 AM
No it is not. (if you are a "real" photographer)

Agree.

Are you taking pictures with a $3,000 Nikon? Or with a $100 digital camera?
What kind of photography are you into? Landscapes and Scenario? Events and Weddings? Big differences all around dude.

'Good Enough' is very subjective. Obviously, the retina display is scientifically and factually superior to the TN display on the Air... But the Air display is MUCH less reflective which makes it ideal for working outdoors or in bright environments (which I do a lot of)- making it excellent for reading and answering a hundred work emails a day

Anyone who says "oh it's a great display as long as a better display isn't next it" - well, just blatantly ignorant.
That's funny like saying a Prius is the fastest car on the road, as long as there are no bmws, mercs, ferraris etc etc around.

hulk2012
Sep 13, 2013, 03:26 AM
Agree.

Are you taking pictures with a $3,000 Nikon? Or with a $100 digital camera?
What kind of photography are you into? Landscapes and Scenario? Events and Weddings? Big differences all around dude.

'Good Enough' is very subjective. Obviously, the retina display is scientifically and factually superior to the TN display on the Air... But the Air display is MUCH less reflective which makes it ideal for working outdoors or in bright environments (which I do a lot of)- making it excellent for reading and answering a hundred work emails a day

Anyone who says "oh it's a great display as long as a better display isn't next it" - well, just blatantly ignorant.
That's funny like saying a Prius is the fastest car on the road, as long as there are no bmws, mercs, ferraris etc etc around.

You absolutely right. My 2012 "11 air is everywhere with me and even with tethering this baby is amazingly helpful. Somehow I feel like doing a full frame 36px requires from me now something extra in terms of the screen. I cannot continuing not being able to edit images on the road not to ******* them up. The colors accuracy in comparison with my iPad 4 or even a 27" iMacs look different and therefore editing images on the air is too risky. Could do with basic retouching but that's doing job twice (on iMacs later for the final touches).

mayuka
Sep 13, 2013, 05:50 AM

Yes. It if outweighs the portability.

merkinmuffley
Sep 13, 2013, 08:36 AM
I'm a photographer and use a 13 inch mba for reviewing and culling shots while on the road. Works well enough for that.