PDA

View Full Version : Other than screen size, why do you prefer Android over iPhone?

ChrisTX
Sep 12, 2013, 07:50 AM
So as the title suggests, in your opinion what makes Android "better" than the iPhone. I see everyone saying the next iPhone is "dead on arrival" but honestly I fail to see the logic here. It seems like other than most Android handsets having a larger display, they're not really better than the iPhone at performing any tasks. The specs of the iPhone 5S are on par, if not better, than the current crop of Android phones. Are people lured in by the "bells, and whistles" of most Android phones? This isn't meant to turn into an "iFan vs. FanDroid" debate. However I'm just curious to see why everyone thinks Android is better. I'm torn between the iPhone 5S, and the Note 3, and won't make my decision until I can use both in store. Let's try to keep this thread respectful, but lets hear it! :D

tbayrgs
Sep 12, 2013, 08:12 AM
Ohh Chris, I'm sure you have the best of intentions but threads like this never end well, quickly filling with defensive or argumentative posts from iPhone and Android users alike. If anything, you should change the phrasing to 'Why do you prefer Android' but that likely still won't make a difference.

I prefer Android for the ability to customize both its appearance and functionality, its intent system and flexibility, the ability to make any app a default app, and its notification system.

I prefer Apple's hardware design and materials. Unfortunately for Apple, my desire for a larger display and preferred functionality in my mobile OS outweigh my taste in hardware, and other manufactures are quickly closing that gap as well.

ChrisTX
Sep 12, 2013, 08:20 AM
Ohh Chris, I'm sure you have the best of intentions but threads like this never end well, quickly filling with defensive or argumentative posts from iPhone and Android users alike. If anything, you should change the phrasing to 'Why do you prefer Android' but that likely still won't make a difference.

I prefer Android for the ability to customize both its appearance and functionality, its intent system and flexibility, the ability to make any app a default app, and its notification system.

I prefer Apple's hardware design and materials. Unfortunately for Apple, my desire for a larger display and preferred functionality in my mobile OS outweigh my taste in hardware, and other manufactures are quickly closing that gap as well.

Point taken, title changed. Good intentions here, but I find that other than screen size, the iPhone 5S has top notch specs. Even J.K. Shin of Samsung said next gen Exynos chips will be 64bit in response to the new A7.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 12, 2013, 08:30 AM
Don't feel like making another list of reasons.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17878026&postcount=59

I could make that list much longer easily.

Both OS are solid and I'm not too concerned with every detail of specs as the best CPU/GPU changes every other month towards a differ device.

jamezr
Sep 12, 2013, 08:32 AM

I agree with what he said....
There are tons of other threads that have this exact discussion......
I know the intentions are good good here with ChrisTX. But these threads always seem to start wars and polarize people.

samcraig
Sep 12, 2013, 08:39 AM
Both OSes have their strengths and weaknesses. That's really the question - not so much about the hardware, right?

I enjoy both iOS and Android. I "prefer" Android for some of the silliest reasons probably. Ones that you might eyeroll at - but for me make things easier.

IE

I like that I can move files wherever I want. And that my phone - when connected to my computer is an easy drag/drop operation.

I like that I can choose my default applications

I like that when I send photos (granted I haven't been on the latest iOS) and it's the actual photo name - not all the same name (Photo.jpg). I like that at any time I can rename a file (ie - photos and videos) on the phone.

I like having an SD card. I shoot a lot of photos and videos.

While I don't use a ton - I like the few widgets I do use.

Since I have the Nexus 7 and my wife now has an Android phone - I like that they all have NFC and we can share photos, webpages, etc easily.

Just a few things. Note - I am not saying Android is BETTER. I am saying that these are a few way Android works better for ME.

That - and the screen size :)

T5BRICK
Sep 12, 2013, 09:12 AM
Having a file system, at least for me, is huge. I never new what I was missing.
Customization, such as alternate keyboards, ability to choose default apps.
Widgets.

I used to say quick toggles, but now Apple has those in Control Center, which is pretty cool. I've been using my iPad mini a lot since the GM was released.

Oohara
Sep 12, 2013, 09:14 AM
If I had to chose one single thing besides screen size, it'd be swipe typing. With Swype on my Note 2 I can type whole Word documents for work in an amount of time that actually compares to how long it'd take me to do it with a proper full-size PC keyboard. And it's an utterly elegant tool, very effortless. (The same keyboard also features an outstanding speech recognition mode.)

In fact I went down to the stores yesterday and tested some iPhones and iPads. It took me just a few seconds of typing to recall why I had gone from a 4S to a Note 2 in the first place. After getting used to Swype, there's just no way I can go back to thumb pecking. There's no way I can pass up that useful a tool for me. When it comes to text input, both iPhones and iPads now feel completely primitive to use.

Other things on my Note 2 that I wouldn't want to pass up are: split screen, Action Note and Scrapbook on the Note 3, homescreen customization (the sense of having a true homescreen, rather than an app drawer), the dynamic gesture functionality offered by Nova Launcher Prime and other apps, and the four at-a-glance widgets I always use on my two side screens, for calendar, Google Keep, Google Music and Flipboard. Oh, and the four toggle widgets which sit directly on my homescreen (small, unobtrusive, semitransparent) which allow me to insta-toggle airplane mode, mute sound, flashlight and WiFi hotspot - I don't need to bring up any other screen to get to these, and their status is always immediately visible.

I love the looks of the 5S and iOS 7, and I'd love to have that good a camera in such a small phone for quick snaps, but my Note 2 is just too damn capable to leave behind. And the Note 3 promises to be even better. If I just happened to have a spare $700 or whatever it is the 5S will cost off contract, I'd probably buy one to use when I go out partying, but that's about it.

samcraig
Sep 12, 2013, 09:17 AM
Oh yes. And SwiftKey Flow.

Without a doubt one of the best if not best things about Android.

chagla
Sep 12, 2013, 09:29 AM
i prefer function over form. android offers power/techy users the options to make it very useful. for instance, i can boot up laptop/desktops from my pc using something like "DriveDroid" app on android. then i can run some servers (ftp, ssh etc) from my PHONE! it's like a mini portable computer whereas ios is severely restricted. its just astonishing in 2013 that you can not email anything other than pictures from your iphone? wow!

i explained it many times, apps on ios are sandboxed and i abhor the idea of putting files inside app. if you delete your app by mistake on ios, your files are gone too!!! on android files are separated from apps. so it doesnt matter if you have deleted your app, your files remain intact.

- plug and play file system (plug in to any computer, think USB drive)
- real access to file system (email/share ANY file from phone using wifi, bluetooth, sms, nfc etc.)
- widgets
- customization
- change anything i want (keyboard, browser etc without hackery in two minutes just by installing app from play store)

i do have an iphone 4 to play with but i can't use it on a daily basis. it feels like suffocating. of course if i was using my android just to make phone calls, sms or fb, then yes i wouldn't feel any difference using ios. fortunately for apple, thats exactly what most people do. what i mentioned in my post do not relate to majority of public. one of my friend (ios user for two years) still don't understand the sandboxed app environment on ios.

mclld
Sep 12, 2013, 09:30 AM
I just like the os better, ios is nice though but I just like Android better

ucfgrad93
Sep 12, 2013, 09:31 AM
Other than screen size, the big draw for me was widgets. I like being able to have information available without having to go into individual apps.

mattopotamus
Sep 12, 2013, 09:36 AM
They both function pretty similar for me. I like android b.c I can have more than just pages of apps (there is actually an app drawer). Also, there seems to be a lot more developer support, so a lot of alternative apps are available.

One of the biggest draws to android is choice. There are a ton of different manufactures and a wide variety of phones. Whether I get the 4S, 5, or 5S the end experience is nearly identical. Usually I upgrade iphones b.c of the specs. I typically switch android phones for a different experience.

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 09:57 AM
Freedom. Choice.

Slightly more specific:

Far superior typing experience.

Far superior notifications.

Superior mail.

Default apps.

Dedicated back and menu buttons.

Customization.

Easier to accomplish most of the same tasks.

Gestures to navigate (with my set up, I basically never have to hit that misplaced HTC One home button. I love it.)

Many more reasons... Android is just easier to use, more flexible, and prettier. :)

And hardware wise, the screen is a big deal, but it's also dual speakers, power button placements, no physical home buttons, expandable storage options, etc.

I'll also add an old quote:

Customization is more than skin deep. It caters the phone to your specific needs and wants. What lock screen do you want to see when you first wake your device, or what browser you want to launch every time you hit a link, or what keyboard you want to use to type your messages, or what toggles and information you want... there's so many more things you can configure and tweak.
All this adds to the usability of the phone. You can make the device uniquely yours. iOS claims to be super simple, but we're in an age where the competition has figured out how to do the same things more efficiently. Just look at how many steps it takes to turn on private browsing in iOS. Or how many steps it takes to switch conversations in chat programs or tabs in browsers (it's literally one swipe to switch between tabs in Chrome).

iOS is so simple that it's less usable. Whereas Android gives you the freedom to make it as usable as you want.

AppleRobert
Sep 12, 2013, 09:58 AM
They both function pretty similar for me. I like android b.c I can have more than just pages of apps (there is actually an app drawer). Also, there seems to be a lot more developer support, so a lot of alternative apps are available.

One of the biggest draws to android is choice. There are a ton of different manufactures and a wide variety of phones. Whether I get the 4S, 5, or 5S the end experience is nearly identical. Usually I upgrade iphones b.c of the specs. I typically switch android phones for a different experience.

The last paragraph sums it up for me, that being about having choice. New products are brought forth continually as well given one a much quicker option for an upgrade if one so chooses.

Oohara
Sep 12, 2013, 10:03 AM
The last paragraph sums it up for me, that being about having choice. New products are brought forth continually as well given one a much quicker option for an upgrade if one so chooses.

What I particularly love about this as an OS philosophy is how it stimulates creativity in app development. Just look at swipe typing. That idea might not have come up for years if Google hadn't allowed users to switch keyboards, thus paving the way for app developers to fiddle around with them.

Cnasty
Sep 12, 2013, 10:05 AM
Far superior notifications.

This is the one I disagree with as I feel the Android notification is pretty terrible as I dont receive as many notifications as I did with my iPhone.

It may be me though and my settings or other outside apps that assist with notification.

Tones2
Sep 12, 2013, 10:11 AM
First off, you can't compare and Andriod OS which is software to and iPhone PHONE which is hardware and software. :rolleyes:

So I'll say here's what I like about my Note 2 / 3 phone vs iPhone 5/5s.

1) A REAL File system
2) OS Customizations - too many things to specifically list (see above posts for a lot of them)
3) Widgets
4) Micro-sd expansion
5) Replaceable battery
6) SWIPE keyboard (both stock and with 3rd party customization)
7) Micro-usb support (many non-proprietary peripherals and flash drives can be plugged in)
8) Multi-window, with even drawing a box to run an app (this is WAY cool)
9) Battery life - blows away the iPhone 5 at least
10) NFC
11) IR Blaster
12) LED notifications
13) LARGER SCREEN - OK you can't not put this in here. :) This is a MAJOR MAJOR factor

The 4 things I like better about an iPhone are:

1) iTunes integration to load media, backup and update OS. Nothing is yet close to this
2) Very low latency audio - So you can have real time audio processing for thing like guitar amp simulators. No Android device yet has this
3) Brightness level - the iPhone IPS screen is brighter than any Android phone I've seen
4) 3rd party app support - Android still lags somewhat in quality and avaiability of certain apps, but that advantage is RAPIDLY diminishing

I won't go into phone performance related speces (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc) because in practice I don't see much difference and it's yet to be measured the actual performances of the Note 3 vs iPhone 5s.

tbayrgs
Sep 12, 2013, 10:28 AM
Dedicated back and menu buttons.

How could I have forgotten this, especially the back button. I find myself reaching for it when using my iPad Mini all the time.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 12, 2013, 10:29 AM
The 4 things I like better about an iPhone are:
1) iTunes integration to load media, backup and update OS. Nothing is yet close to this

For Music I like Google music better. I can organize my playlists and add to or delete from library from any browser anywhere. I can upload music from multiple desktops and accounts and toggle accounts easily.

tbayrgs
Sep 12, 2013, 10:32 AM
This is the one I disagree with as I feel the Android notification is pretty terrible as I dont receive as many notifications as I did with my iPhone.

It may be me though and my settings or other outside apps that assist with notification.

I definitely prefer the notification system on Android, except for one element. I like having all notification settings within Settings as is done on iOS--it's a real PITA having to dig into every individual app's settings to manage them in Android.

Oohara
Sep 12, 2013, 10:35 AM
For Music I like Google music better. I can organize my playlists and add to or delete from library from any browser anywhere. I can upload music from multiple desktops and accounts and toggle accounts easily.

Not to mention just the Google Music app itself, where you can actually access the equalizer as well as set it manually without having to....cough.....leave the music app and enter Settings....where it's all....cough cough...presets anyway...

Cnasty
Sep 12, 2013, 10:41 AM
I definitely prefer the notification system on Android, except for one element. I like having all notification settings within Settings as is done on iOS--it's a real PITA having to dig into every individual app's settings to manage them in Android.

Good point.

I guess I should have elaborated as the notification delivery look doesnt seem to get to me as much as I enjoyed it on my iPhone.

I liked the screen turning on and popping when I got an email, a text, whatever it was with a preview of said message.

That is the one main feature I miss on my iPhone. Other than that I am very happy that I switched over and look to be more pleased when my Note 3 gets here.

ChazUK
Sep 12, 2013, 10:41 AM
I've bought this up a few times but my biggie is the share functionality.

The way applications can seamlessly share data to each other is something I use regularly. The way new third party applications can patch into it is superb as well.

The barebones Nexus has little to share but install some apps and:http://chazclout.com/CV/Upload/images/screenmgm.png

The other big one is being able to change defaults.

Launchers, browsers, media players, keyboards... You can pretty much change everything from the base system to third party options that suit your need anywhere.

cube
Sep 12, 2013, 10:45 AM
- microSDXC slot
- removable battery
- dual SIM
- 2GiB RAM
- waterproof
- dustproof
- FM radio
- FullHD
- reasonable price

Tones2
Sep 12, 2013, 10:46 AM

I still buy my musiv from iTunes so that integration is easier for me. However, is Google Music and native Windows app that can control your LOCALLY STORED music complete with modified tag data (lyrics, genres, etc) and playlists and sync to your Android phone (meaning song access by any 3rd party music player)? That a real question - If so, I didn't know it could do these things. Is this through the Google Play store web interface or a seperate Windows app?

jrswizzle
Sep 12, 2013, 10:47 AM
Despite the fact I prefer iOS, as a whole, over Android - here are the things I think my GS4 (Android in general) does better and hope Apple implements in some way in the future:

-More keyboard options (swipe typing, specifically)
-Better email attachment options
-Actionable notifications (this isn't Android-wide, but being able to "reply" or "delete" gmails from the notification center is nice)
-Default app updates separate from OS updates
-Detailed battery usage stats (not a big deal as iOS doesn't let things run rampant, but I do like to see what's draining my battery)
-Data usage cap and warning options

And now some things I want implemented across the board that may not be in Android either:

-Quick Reply (specifically for the default messaging app - don't care much about 3rd party support initially)

That's all I've got off the top of my head - if/when I think of others, I'll edit.

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 10:51 AM
Good point.

I guess I should have elaborated as the notification delivery look doesnt seem to get to me as much as I enjoyed it on my iPhone.

I liked the screen turning on and popping when I got an email, a text, whatever it was with a preview of said message.

That is the one main feature I miss on my iPhone. Other than that I am very happy that I switched over and look to be more pleased when my Note 3 gets here.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.activenotifications&hl=en

Might help?

Cnasty
Sep 12, 2013, 10:53 AM
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.activenotifications&hl=en

Might help?

Thanks! I have been trying Handcent for messaging and PopupFree but they are hit and miss.

Always looking for new stuff and will give this a whirl.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 12, 2013, 10:57 AM
I still buy my musiv from iTunes so that integration is easier for me. However, is Google Music and native Windows app that can control your LOCALLY STORED music complete with modified tag data (lyrics, genres, etc) and playlists and sync to your Android phone (meaning song access by any 3rd party music player)? That a real question - If so, I didn't know it could do these things. Is this through the Google Play store web interface or a seperate Windows app?

It would have to be a 3rd party app that you can log into your Google account. On a mobile and desktop OS. I see more and more 3rd party apps including Google Music logins. iOS even has a couple apps that do it.

For me personally, playing from a desktop browser or Google music app on phone is good enough for me.

Michael Goff
Sep 12, 2013, 11:06 AM
When I used Android (still have my GNexus, just not my main phone), the best things (I thought) were as follows:

Google products integrate better and work better. Yes, I know that there are Google apps on almost every platform (except Windows Phone and Windows 8), but they just work better on an Android device.

An example of it working better is YouTube. I can preload videos on my GNexus to watch later. That might seem like something small, but it's there and I like it. I'm not always around WiFi and sometimes I want to watch a YouTube video anyway.

Default apps get updated, or at least most of them do, without needing to update the OS. Even the keyboard is an app now. So if my device doesn't get the next update, it means less. If two years passed and my iPhone (if I had one) stopped getting updates that would simply mean any default apps that have bugs are in a "get over it" state.

Sven11
Sep 12, 2013, 11:07 AM
Don't get me wrong, the iPhone 5S is a great phone, in many things better than Android phones, but not very useful with its 4 inch screen. Plus I have relatively strong glasses, making it even smaller for me. No problem while making phone calls, but once you go online, use a lot of apps or games it becomes a pain over time. And that's basically the main reason why I said goodbye to the iPhone. Another great thing is the SD card and of course the better hardware. I also like a camera with more megapixels, I know megapixels don't necessarily make better pictures, but I like to see details while zooming... (especially text) Customization and widgets are not a big deal for me however since I don't like to customize my phone.

Zwhaler
Sep 12, 2013, 01:39 PM
My Note 2 functions great as a stand-alone computer for intensive productivity tasks, like document creation, editing, file sharing, etc. I don't need to sync it every day. I've probably synced it twice to my computer in a year for music. The iPhone is too dependent on syncing, and owning a computer in my opinion, it isn't good enough to be a stand alone computer or tablet replacement for my business, and it doesn't have a user accessible file system which Android has. The fact that quick settings still aren't available today in 2013 on the iPhone is really really lame. I get it they're releasing iOS 7 but I'm not a fan of the look. Not to mention the far greater (and I mean far far greater) home screen customization and widget support.

BATTERY!!! The iPhone 5 at 1,440mAh, really? That is weak, and everyone knows it. My Note 2 has 4,200mAh and can last several days, plus I have 2 extra batteries I can switch into the phone at any point. And no, I don't have a bulgy back to accomodate the larger battery, it is the same size as the stock one.

LED Notification. Useful

SD card. Enough said. iPhone 5S up to 64GB? How about expansion?

Google OS foundation. Google Now is fast, accurate, and does what I want it to. I can say commands and it will call, text, navigate, search, etc.

Google Maps. Satellite imagery (which I use probably every day) is so much better than Apple's it is a joke in terms of overall (US and worldwide) image quality and city, street data. Plus they actually like update it once or twice a year. Having Google be the map tiles used in all my 3rd party apps is so much better too!

Price. Better options for consumers...

Speaker quality. The dinky iPhone speaker was never good to begin with... admittedly not all Android phones are either but my Note 2 has a bad ass speaker that is actually useful for things like, speaker phone when there is background noise... listening to YouTube videos without having to move the phone closer to my face, and hearing music at a decent volume.

No Lightning port. Thank you, the reason why people aren't raving about Lightning is because there is nothing to rave about, only inconvenience.

Web browsing. I can have flash if I want, and the screens are wide enough to do web browsing without getting frustrated like iPhone users without glasses, you'll will have to until Apple releases a bigger screen than 4" to feel comfortable web browsing, trust me. If you think it's good now, that's only because you've adjusted to how restrictedly narrow it is.

Innovation: Since the launch of the iPhone, Android has grown faster and become a much more in depth device and software ecosystem than the iPhone, which isn't all that different than when it launched. iOS 7 has a different flat look, but that doesn't change how similar it is to the first iPhone OS. 64 bit, cool, but the user experience hasn't changed hardly at all. We're still waiting for iOS 7 too.

nick_elt
Sep 12, 2013, 01:43 PM
file system and loooong battery life are the 2 biggest draw cards for me

----------

and FLASH!!!

ucfgrad93
Sep 12, 2013, 03:28 PM

Agreed. For the life of me, I can't seem to get weather notifications regards of the app I use.

ceva321
Sep 12, 2013, 04:12 PM
one simple reason :)

POWERAMP!!! that is one big reason

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5333/9731494193_d18068b3bf_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ceva321/9731494193/)
photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ceva321/9731494193/) by Ceva321 (http://www.flickr.com/people/ceva321/), on Flickr

appledes7
Sep 12, 2013, 04:28 PM
-Quick Reply (specifically for the default messaging app - don't care much about 3rd party support initially)

If you are into custom ROMs, Cyanogenmod does this well.

Once you install it, the default SMS app always shows a popup quick reply. This is annoying, but the best part is that if you turn this off, you can do a swipe down on the messaging notification inside the notification pull down and hit reply and the popup will appear.

So it is never obtrusive until you tell it to be.

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 04:36 PM
one simple reason :)

POWERAMP!!!

It's that good? I personally love Rocket Player. They let you customize the themes and there's one that makes it look like Google cards.

The reason I love it, though, is cause it's so feature-rich.

http://i.imgur.com/OxsQsTQ.png

ceva321
Sep 12, 2013, 05:17 PM
^^^

well one good reason ..I LOVE THE Equalizer!!1 turn the base up !

i also love Swipe!!! :o

Oohara
Sep 12, 2013, 05:39 PM

Might help?

Ooh, good tip! Giving the paid version a spin on my Note 2 now. Man this is why I love Android - I had wanted this since seeing it on the Moto X and now I can just download it and go.

Oohara
Sep 12, 2013, 06:00 PM
It's that good? I personally love Rocket Player. They let you customize the themes and there's one that makes it look like Google cards.

The reason I love it, though, is cause it's so feature-rich.

http://i.imgur.com/OxsQsTQ.png

What's the name of that Google cards-like theme, and is it free?

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 12, 2013, 06:23 PM
Superior mail.

Interesting. I find Android integration with corporate Exchange email/tasks/calendar/meeting invites to be beta-ware level functionality at best. I still use mostly iOS products in business settings for this reason alone. It's one of two things that keep me from considering my Galaxy and Note devices as anything more than personal gadgets.

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 06:53 PM
What's the name of that Google cards-like theme, and is it free?

Yes.

It's called "Light - Blue"

Rocket Player: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.AnotherMusicPlayer&hl=en

Light Blue theme: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.free.android.music.player.light&hl=en

ChrisTX
Sep 12, 2013, 07:24 PM
I'm torn between the 2 mobile OS's because I actually like the new iPhone 5S. However the one thing that keeps me with Android, is Android Now. It's so good, I'm afraid Siri might not be on par. I'm trying to weigh my options, and always like seeing feedback from others. Great thread so far, thanks!:cool:

tbayrgs
Sep 12, 2013, 07:40 PM
I'm torn between the 2 mobile OS's because I actually like the new iPhone 5S. However the one thing that keeps me with Android, is Android Now. It's so good, I'm afraid Siri might not be on par. I'm trying to weigh my options, and always like seeing feedback from others. Great thread so far, thanks!:cool:

I think Google Now is certainly more robust and seems to be more accurate understanding spoken commands (though also far from perfect--cannot understand my wife's name no matter how hard I try), it still suffers from always requiring some touch interaction. At least with Siri after summoning her with the home button, the rest can be done with voice commands, including confirming your request. I really hope Google can implement similar functionality to Google Now sooner than later.

appledes7
Sep 12, 2013, 07:44 PM
I think Google Now is certainly more robust and seems to be more accurate understanding spoken commands (though also far from perfect--cannot understand my wife's name no matter how hard I try), it still suffers from always requiring some touch interaction. At least with Siri after summoning her with the home button, the rest can be done with voice commands, including confirming your request. I really hope Google can implement similar functionality to Google Now sooner than later.

Oh my gosh yes. This is the biggest reason I hardly ever use Google Now.

When I had my iPhone 4S, I would use Siri quite regularly to send texts, call people, or set reminders. I would typically use Siri a couple times a week. All of this I could do without ever looking at my phone thanks to invoking Siri via a physical button. On my Nexus 4, I have to tap the little tiny mic icon to start talking, and then use touch input to confirm those actions. And if I set a reminder, it is a pain to go back and look through all my reminders. iOS has an awesome reminders app.

I know in this dark corner of MacRumors I am in the minority, but Siri was way more useful and practical than Google Now has even been for my usage.

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 07:54 PM
I'm loving all these gesture-based apps popping up becoming more popular and more useful.

Here's another one I discovered that looks pretty rad that I might start using for my N7: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appsimobile.appsi

https://lh5.ggpht.com/rVtiYkJxrjCMiZmoc5nCTf4TwQlcdov-SPy21_o_f0Ds9z7HBygHLcwiuvWrvJo6V6k=h900-rw

https://lh6.ggpht.com/bJaH-FX-2TP4tzafv1AHpplxU-5FEZNvAK_h13AalTPY9JEX62FQc0vzYZe1Oyoi_xo=h900-rw

https://lh3.ggpht.com/7ALKLhopPTWZyF4aM16mExB7kxwB6VphiiOcgJz9MvvTWAFlGKkR9D_EQmSO_--E71U=h900-rw

Not to mention my unofficial app of the year: Swipe Home.This app has really changed the entire way I interact with my HTC One. I can swipe up to go home from anywhere, anytime, I can swipe up-down to put my device to sleep. It's an awesome feeling. Like I'm doing magic tricks with my phone. I should really make a video.

Trial version for 7 days, 99 cents after that. Worth every penny.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthewma.swipehomebuttonfree

And there are many other apps out there that offer the same sort of gesture-based features.

Technarchy
Sep 12, 2013, 08:20 PM
What I like about my GS4 specifically.

Not all inclusive, just off the top of my head.

App launching capabilities from lock screen
Weather widgets
Calendar Widgets
Easy SD memory expansion
Swype
Status bar information
Split Screen mode

I really really wish Google now was a Siri alternative, but from my perspective it isnt for the reasons you stated. S-Voice is just a turd too.

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 08:43 PM
App launching capabilities from lock screen

Love this, too. I have Phone, Camera, Whatsapp, and Chrome on my lock screen. Love going directly to what I want.

Stooby Mcdoobie
Sep 12, 2013, 09:04 PM
...I can swipe up-down to put my device to sleep...

Does the paid version offer more shortcut options? I was using the trial version and didn't see an option to put the device to sleep. Being able to lock the device with a swipe is worth the $0.99 alone, imo.

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 09:07 PM
Does the paid version offer more shortcut options? I was using the trial version and didn't see an option to put the device to sleep. Being able to lock the device with a swipe is worth the $0.99 alone, imo.

Paid version allows you to bind custom apps to gestures.

Download this. Also free. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.katecca.screenofflock&hl=en

Then bind it to the Swipe Home gesture you want.

:)

http://i.imgur.com/sVUxx6H.png

My current set up:

http://i.imgur.com/drGfI0x.png

Stooby Mcdoobie
Sep 12, 2013, 09:08 PM
Paid version allows you to bind custom apps to gestures.

Download this. Also free. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.katecca.screenofflock&hl=en

Then bind it to the Swipe Home gesture you want.

:)

Awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks.

On a related note, do you know of a way to wake the HTC One up without hitting the power button? I've found that I have to shift my hand around a bit to hit the power button. While doable, it's a bit awkward.

cuzo
Sep 12, 2013, 09:11 PM
The main reason is the screen size.

The second reason is the ability to set default so, for instance when I'm in the Craigslist app for iOS, when in asked to send a email to the seller using Craigslist the only option i get to email the seller with is the stock iOS app, I cannot use gmail, mailbox or boxer and set that as my default and that's not cool.

Those the main reasons, I like samsungs multitasking alot but its not something I need that much.

I actually prefer the iOS notification system of just cluttering the lock screen that just having notifications pop up up too, I just hit the power button on my iPhone and under exactly what happened without having to unlock the phone.

I miss tubemate but it's not that important.

Screen size and setting default apps.

iOS apps are worlds better though.

onthecouchagain
Sep 12, 2013, 09:49 PM
Awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks.

On a related note, do you know of a way to wake the HTC One up without hitting the power button? I've found that I have to shift my hand around a bit to hit the power button. While doable, it's a bit awkward.

Nope. It's the only time I hit the power button. To wake the device.

dkersten
Sep 12, 2013, 11:18 PM
Nope. It's the only time I hit the power button. To wake the device.

I was just watching the LG G2 review and they have a cool feature where you double tap the screen to turn it on and off. It would be cool if other manufacturers could do something similar.

Savor
Sep 12, 2013, 11:37 PM
Variety. Freedom.

Dont need to sell my soul and get shackled by an iTunes account.

I'm actually wondering why people continue to stick to iPhone? I have read all the reasons before. Ecosystem, design, polish, easy to use, smooth, better apps, more accessories, form factor, blah blah blah. I was using many of those reasons back in 2010 to iPhone haters too, ya know?

But isnt the iPhone line the most repetitive and UNFRESH products right now? Same UI. Same archaic way to open apps. Same design used after two years. I find iPhones to be the most DISPOSABLE and EASIEST phones to sell online. One because of resell value since Apple marks up the price anyway. And two, because after two major updates, your current iPhone tends to slow down, cant get newer apps or update older ones, and get worse batt life that you need an upgrade that you sell off or give away the older model.

And iPhones tend to stay around at least 3 years with subsidized pricing. What's the rush? That is why it has a decent marketshare in U.S. You can still get an iPhone 4s next year while most other phones get phased out after a year. This is why I find iPhones redundant and dont need to rush to get one. In three months, the 5s will be discounted after the initial sales onslaught wears off. By CES in next Jan and MWC next Feb, iPhone 5s becomes yesterday's news again. Then iPhone 6 hype begins because of a new design which is enough for fanboys to want it only for a stronger S-class "TWIN" to follow it in 2015.

It is the most boring, repetitive designed, restrictive, highly more common, and easily disposable phones to sell. Wash, rinse, repeat. Yet, I find it funny strange people still line up in droves for them. I understand Android phones value goes down after a year or so and OEM releases phones faster than you can say diarrhea! The Z1 is basically a big FU to Z owners. Still, news doesnt get stale. But with iPhone, it is the same thing too and they dont age quite gracefully either. Age like sour milk than fine wine. Apple is as predictable and abundant as SJ's black turtle necks.

Vegastouch
Sep 12, 2013, 11:44 PM
So as the title suggests, in your opinion what makes Android "better" than the iPhone. I see everyone saying the next iPhone is "dead on arrival" but honestly I fail to see the logic here. It seems like other than most Android handsets having a larger display, they're not really better than the iPhone at performing any tasks. The specs of the iPhone 5S are on par, if not better, than the current crop of Android phones. Are people lured in by the "bells, and whistles" of most Android phones? This isn't meant to turn into an "iFan vs. FanDroid" debate. However I'm just curious to see why everyone thinks Android is better. I'm torn between the iPhone 5S, and the Note 3, and won't make my decision until I can use both in store. Let's try to keep this thread respectful, but lets hear it! :D

Right because we have NEVER had this discussion before :rolleyes:

I love the Apple OS on my laptop but just dont care for iOS on a phone. Many reasons why and the bells and whistles is a part of it. I dont like using the gestures of Samsung. I still take my screenshots by holding the two buttons but sharing is the bomb on Android among many other things the iPhone doesnt do. And as ive said many times already, i dont care for aluminum backs and prefer the plastic or something else other than aluminum.

Then there is that screen size.......................

But specs isnt a factor for me as i dont care about benchmarks and such. If the Moto X had a better camera i might get that with its dual cores.

onthecouchagain
Sep 13, 2013, 12:03 AM
I was just watching the LG G2 review and they have a cool feature where you double tap the screen to turn it on and off. It would be cool if other manufacturers could do something similar.

Yes I really like that feature of the g2

kasakka
Sep 13, 2013, 04:12 AM
What I like about Android:

File system

Ability to choose default apps or open stuff in apps of my choosing
Much better notifications
Not so many artificial limitations (like the way Safari has far better Javascript performance than other browsers by default)
Customisation all the way to being able to use different keyboards, launchers etc.

What I don't like about Android:

Most widgets seem pretty crappy and some don't fit into the general look of the UI that well
Lockscreen becomes quite useless if you use a security pattern or PIN.
No uniformity in apps. For example many apps cram settings in totally different places and notification functionality differs - some don't allow LED notification light, many don't allow you to choose its color etc.
Manufacturer bloatware
That ****in' volume level warning

In the end there are many things that are just plain terrible on Android. http://acko.net/blog/why-android-hates-you/ has some good points. Likewise iOS has lots of things to gripe about and at the moment at least to me it's a worse choice. However I do still prefer iPad as a tablet due to aspect ratio and app quality.

As for the devices themselves, I do like the bigger screen on my GS4. I don't particularly like the somewhat overly sensitive capacitive buttons. Some other devices like the HTC One have bad power button placement. On the iPhone the only thing that bothered me was the screen size.

JaySoul
Sep 13, 2013, 04:36 AM
I'm on iOS but have used Android properly.

There are many things to admire with both systems.

I wish we could get the best of both worlds in just one phone, but that won't happen :)

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 13, 2013, 05:41 AM
Variety. Freedom.

Dont need to sell my soul and get shackled by an iTunes account.

I'm actually wondering why people continue to stick to iPhone? I have read all the reasons before. Ecosystem, design, polish, easy to use, smooth, better apps, more accessories, form factor, blah blah blah. I was using many of those reasons back in 2010 to iPhone haters too, ya know?

But isnt the iPhone line the most repetitive and UNFRESH products right now? Same UI. Same archaic way to open apps. Same design used after two years. I find iPhones to be the most DISPOSABLE and EASIEST phones to sell online. One because of resell value since Apple marks up the price anyway. And two, because after two major updates, your current iPhone tends to slow down, cant get newer apps or update older ones, and get worse batt life that you need an upgrade that you sell off or give away the older model.

And iPhones tend to stay around at least 3 years with subsidized pricing. What's the rush? That is why it has a decent marketshare in U.S. You can still get an iPhone 4s next year while most other phones get phased out after a year. This is why I find iPhones redundant and dont need to rush to get one. In three months, the 5s will be discounted after the initial sales onslaught wears off. By CES in next Jan and MWC next Feb, iPhone 5s becomes yesterday's news again. Then iPhone 6 hype begins because of a new design which is enough for fanboys to want it only for a stronger S-class "TWIN" to follow it in 2015.

It is the most boring, repetitive designed, restrictive, highly more common, and easily disposable phones to sell. Wash, rinse, repeat. Yet, I find it funny strange people still line up in droves for them. I understand Android phones value goes down after a year or so and OEM releases phones faster than you can say diarrhea! The Z1 is basically a big FU to Z owners. Still, news doesnt get stale. But with iPhone, it is the same thing too and they dont age quite gracefully either. Age like sour milk than fine wine. Apple is as predictable and abundant as SJ's black turtle necks.
Maybe iOS and the iPhone haven't changed because people are still happy to buy them and the experience is enough of a winning concept not to warrant changing every single year? Android is constantly changing and trying to reinvent itself which could be construed as a concept that hasn't quite got it right, and is trying to find the right blend? There is so much demand amongst Android consumers for the next mind blowing innovation, that I feel Samsung and the likes are under pressure constantly to bring the wow factor. Are we going to reach a point where not enough innovation is coming through and the spoilt demands of its consumers will declare some form of stalemate?

If Android was so much better than iOS, would we really have so much negativity here on an Apple friendly site? My guess is people would generally be happy enough not to give iOS a second thought. ;)

miltonbull
Sep 13, 2013, 06:13 AM
Ithe mainly the notifications on Android. I have a GS4 and a iPhone 5. On Android its a better overview, the simple swipe gestures. Even on iOS 7 I have to press a small x in the right corner + add to that im left handen so its a bit clumsy.

Wide opeN
Sep 13, 2013, 09:45 AM
Widgets
Customization
More Intelligent than iOS
Able to change keyboards, browsers, etc...
Being able to Swype
Freedom
No stupid restrictions

Klosefabrinio
Sep 13, 2013, 10:06 AM
all of the s-pen functions, better camera, android, touchwiz, rooting, launchers....

Dontazemebro
Sep 13, 2013, 02:37 PM
The main reason is the screen size.

The second reason is the ability to set default so, for instance when I'm in the Craigslist app for iOS, when in asked to send a email to the seller using Craigslist the only option i get to email the seller with is the stock iOS app, I cannot use gmail, mailbox or boxer and set that as my default and that's not cool.

Those the main reasons, I like samsungs multitasking alot but its not something I need that much.

I actually prefer the iOS notification system of just cluttering the lock screen that just having notifications pop up up too, I just hit the power button on my iPhone and under exactly what happened without having to unlock the phone.

I miss tubemate but it's not that important.

Screen size and setting default apps.

iOS apps are worlds better though.

You can get tubemate free in the Amazon app store

cuzo
Sep 13, 2013, 03:08 PM
I have a iPhone, I'm speaking when I had android.

spinedoc77
Sep 13, 2013, 04:20 PM
The main thing all Android phones are missing from Apple is the hardware mute toggle, it makes muting so convenient. I don't have to turn on the screen, or press the volume button down, just a simple flick of the switch and the phone is muted. Siri is also much better than Google in terms of taking commands and doing what you want, that's really the main reason I have stuck with iOS all these years when I really do like Android much better. But if I need to make a phone call and my phone keeps forcing me into an internet search, well that just doesn't work well for my work flow.

I also used to like widgets a lot, I still like them but find Windows live tiles superior is SOME instances. Still both live tiles and widgets are MUCH better than anything iOS has (why is it always 73 and sunny?!?!). I just find live tiles to have just as much information but be much more compact and also fit on screen nicer. Also widgets in Android are incredibly disjointed, you can never get the same fonts, colors, style, sizes, etc across widgets even after hours of playing around and customizing them.

Liquorpuki
Sep 13, 2013, 04:41 PM
Better camera implementation. iPhones I still have to aim my finger at a little oval on the screen or hit a volume button that's so rigid it pushes that side of the phone down. You take a one handed shot it's the biggest pain in the ass. Android you get either a dedicated camera button or tap the screen to focus/shoot. Moto X uses the corkscrew motion to trigger the camera instead of having to swipe up the screen and wait. WP8 handsets actually have the best implementation because they require a dedicated camera button and tap to focus/shoot, plus they utilize Nokia tech.

Data-centric OS - I've used WP8 and Android and Android has the best data-centric implementation out there because of widgets. Screen real estate is used to relay dynamic info instead of showing an app grid. No clue why Apple is still stuck on a static app grid from the palm pilot days. This is not early 2000 where something moving on your screen will drain your battery. On Android I can monitor stocks and tweets directly on the UI. If I wanna Shazam a song, I just tap the widget directly on my UI. On iOS for every single piece of info I need or to perform a function, I have to open up an app, and wait for it to load.