PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Offering Launch Discounts on New iPhones: $79 iPhone 5c, $189 iPhone 5s

MacRumors
Sep 12, 2013, 09:13 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/12/walmart-offering-launch-discounts-on-new-iphones-79-iphone-5c-189-iphone-5s/)

Walmart, which has traditionally offered discounted pricing on the iPhone relative to standard pricing from Apple and other retailers, will be bringing that pricing strategy to the launch of Apple's new iPhone 5s and 5c models.

As noted by CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57602574-37/walmart-to-sell-iphone-5c-for-$79-iphone-5s-for-$189/), Walmart stores will be offering pre-orders of the iPhone 5c starting tomorrow with pricing on the 16 GB version set at $79 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPhone-5c-for-Verizon-AT-T-and-Sprint-Prices-Based-on-Eligible-Upgrade-or-New-2-Year-Contract/20923793), a $20 discount compared to Apple's standard pricing with two-year contract. The iPhone 5s, which is not being made available for pre-order and launches on September 20, will be priced at $189 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPhone-5s-for-Verizon-AT-T-and-Sprint-Prices-Based-on-Eligible-Upgrade-or-New-2-Year-Contract/16783478) for the 16 GB model, a $10 discount from standard pricing.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/iphone_5c_walmart_79.jpg
As with many other retailers, Walmart is also immediately cutting prices on the current models, dropping the 16 GB iPhone 5 to $79 and iPhone 4S models to $0.97. Beginning September 16, customers interested in purchasing the last of Walmart's iPhone 4 stock will also be able to do so for just $0.10 while receiving a $100 Walmart gift card.

Article Link: Walmart Offering Launch Discounts on New iPhones: $79 iPhone 5c, $189 iPhone 5s (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/12/walmart-offering-launch-discounts-on-new-iphones-79-iphone-5c-189-iphone-5s/)

bostonsox
Sep 12, 2013, 09:15 AM
Would best buy/apple price match that?

ValSalva
Sep 12, 2013, 09:18 AM
Going to be lines there next Friday too?

Battlefield Fan
Sep 12, 2013, 09:19 AM
Now if only Walmart wasn't the devils right hand man I would actually consider shopping there.

PsstGreek
Sep 12, 2013, 09:19 AM

Best Buy maybe. Apple, no way.

jonathanbaird
Sep 12, 2013, 09:25 AM

Best Buy would price match. Apple may or may not.

street.cory
Sep 12, 2013, 09:25 AM
Best Buy maybe. Apple, no way.

I remember when Apple did price matched wireless carriers (http://gizmodo.com/5933488/apple-retail-stores-will-price+match-iphone-discounts-offered-by-wireless-carriers).

Xenomorph
Sep 12, 2013, 09:26 AM
20% discount on up-front cost of the 5C? Nice!

pezj
Sep 12, 2013, 09:27 AM
Now I kinda want the C! S looks titties but for $79 I think I can do without the M7.

b-rad g
Sep 12, 2013, 09:30 AM
Does Walmart have an In-Store buy back program like Apple? Do you get a Walmart gift card to use towards the upgrade?

ManUtd08
Sep 12, 2013, 09:43 AM
I've never bought a phone at Walmart/Best Buy. Is one better than the other or are they about the same Customer Service wise?

Eduardo1971
Sep 12, 2013, 09:49 AM
Cool! I'll be able to save a Hamilton!

Carlanga
Sep 12, 2013, 09:51 AM
I have an AT&T enterprise account so I guess it's not possible for me to get my 5S at walmart?

gmanist1000
Sep 12, 2013, 09:54 AM
I've never bought a phone at Walmart/Best Buy. Is one better than the other or are they about the same Customer Service wise?

Customer Service... At Walmart? There's no such thing. I used to work there.

Eduardo1971
Sep 12, 2013, 10:07 AM
I have an AT&T enterprise account so I guess it's not possible for me to get my 5S at walmart?

So do I. I don't see a problem as you'll buy an 'AT&T' locked iPhone and activate it at home.

thefunmachine69
Sep 12, 2013, 10:08 AM

Sadly no you can not.

osofast240sx
Sep 12, 2013, 10:11 AM
If you have an enterprise account you should be shopping at Walmart anyway ha ha lol

aziatiklover
Sep 12, 2013, 10:12 AM
I hope walmart discount the tmobile full price unlocked!

thefunmachine69
Sep 12, 2013, 10:14 AM
Just an FYI, you only pay sales tax on the upgrade price at Wal-Mart vs paying tax on the full price of the phone at the other guy. Well at least in California that is, it might differ from state to state.

FirstNTenderbit
Sep 12, 2013, 10:22 AM

Walk in, buy phone at lower price, walk out. I'm not sure what other service they could fulfill. If I do get my daughter the 5C (still on the fence) and the $79 price is still an option, I'll grab one at Wallyworld.

aricG
Sep 12, 2013, 10:34 AM
will they be offering a discount on full priced unlocked models as well?

SkippyThorson
Sep 12, 2013, 10:35 AM
Now I kinda want the C! S looks titties but for $79 I think I can do without the M7.

What!? :confused:

jayducharme
Sep 12, 2013, 10:45 AM
Interesting, considering in the past WalMart used to discount Apple products by no more than a dollar or two. It seems like they're making a more aggressive push to sell the iPhone. That can only be good for Apple.

If Apple had made a 64 gb version of the 5C, I'd be happy to trade my 5 for it.

Perfect Score
Sep 12, 2013, 11:03 AM
Feels like one of those 30 bucks off MacBook "specials" I see at BestBuy LOL.

The discount doesn't make any difference when you think about how much you're actually paying for that shiny new phone (incl. contract).

Spacial
Sep 12, 2013, 11:08 AM
Walmart is tarnishing Apples image, like a graffiti artist or "tagger" defiles a building.

Unfortunately it's Apples greed that is providing the paint.

DShap5
Sep 12, 2013, 11:19 AM
Oh wow! That's actually quite a discount for a brand new product!

Newton70
Sep 12, 2013, 11:24 AM
I assume that Walmart eats the discount price (i.e., the fact that the phone is discounted doesn't impact the price Apple sells the phone to Walmart). That said, this appears unprecedented for Apple...the discounting of a new product before it's even released. On the one hand, this may result in more phones sold and on the other hand it seems like a hit to Apple's image. I guess only time will tell.

thelasttruejerk
Sep 12, 2013, 11:28 AM
in typical walmart fashion, if you follow the link for the 5S it directs you to a page showing a verizon andriod phone.... nice work walmart

Lindsford
Sep 12, 2013, 11:28 AM
I assume that Walmart eats the discount price (i.e., the fact that the phone is discounted doesn't impact the price Apple sells the phone to Walmart). That said, this appears unprecedented for Apple...the discounting of a new product before it's even released. On the one hand, this may result in more phones sold and on the other hand it seems like a hit to Apple's image. I guess only time will tell.

I think it has more to do with getting more Apple products in more peoples hands. They understand people are impulse buyers thus placing it where shoppers dont do much research before purchasing wandering walmart. Once buying an iphone and being satisfied they may be interested and trying to add to the apple ecosystem whether it be an apple TV or a macbook.

Brand image? Nothing to worry about until they srart pumping out Macbook Colors lol.

VanillaCracker
Sep 12, 2013, 11:53 AM

"S looks titties" :confused::confused::eek::rolleyes:

Jimbo47
Sep 12, 2013, 11:56 AM
$10 off is not going to make me shop there. FREE is not going to make me shop there.

rjlawrencejr
Sep 12, 2013, 12:06 PM
Walmart is tarnishing Apples image, like a graffiti artist or "tagger" defiles a building.

Tarnished? How so? Your statement sounds so shallow and pretentious. Phones are no longer status symbols. They are appliances. Baed on your premise, iPhones should only be sold at Apple retail outlets and selected boutiques.

Given that line of thinking (and you're not the first person I have seen spout such nonsense), what brand of mobile phone is high end? Whose image hasn't been "tarnished"?

ALMF
Sep 12, 2013, 12:17 PM

I bought my iPhone 5 at Walmart for $50 off the normal cost. They did all the work that the people at AT&T would have done had I upgraded there. Was super easy and I would buy at Walmart again.

Phone was perfect too

john123
Sep 12, 2013, 12:24 PM
Feels like one of those 30 bucks off MacBook "specials" I see at BestBuy LOL.

The discount doesn't make any difference when you think about how much you're actually paying for that shiny new phone (incl. contract).

Sigh. What on earth are you talking about? $10 to $20 is still $10 to $20. How can you possibly say it "doesn't make any difference"? How much the contract runs in the long run is utterly and completely irrelevant.

cdylanmr
Sep 12, 2013, 01:40 PM
I wonder when you would receive the phone though.

Has walmart ever done pre-ordering before? If so, has any here pre-ordered from walmart?

Technarchy
Sep 12, 2013, 01:43 PM
Given the discounts, I'm going to wager Apple gave vendors the option for deeper discounts out the gate, which translates to the budget iPhone most were expecting.

Good strategy.

FirstNTenderbit
Sep 12, 2013, 01:43 PM

What!? :confused:

"S looks titties" :confused::confused::eek::rolleyes:

Cool kids speak. As in 5S looks good. It made me giggle.:cool:

Rogifan
Sep 12, 2013, 02:07 PM

Wow. Now I know why some people hate Apple/Mac fans.

DeanKeith
Sep 12, 2013, 05:01 PM
I did some unsuccessful searching before posting: Does anyone have any information if Walmart will carry all sizes and colors?

If so, any information on what the 32GB and 64GB 5S's pricing will be?

LyndaP
Sep 12, 2013, 05:22 PM
I have the same questions about prices on all colors and sizes, and I'm also wondering if the 24-hour Walmarts are selling them at midnight on the 20th local time, or Cupertino time? I have a 24-hour Walmart five minutes from me and it wouldn't be any big deal for me to run down there at midnight CDT and walk out with a phone. (I'd ask someone at Walmart, but the information you get from their employees isn't reliable.) :rolleyes:

mytakeontech
Sep 12, 2013, 06:04 PM
Please note that Walmart does not "usually" carry higher capacities.

thefunmachine69
Sep 12, 2013, 06:35 PM
I did some unsuccessful searching before posting: Does anyone have any information if Walmart will carry all sizes and colors?

If so, any information on what the 32GB and 64GB 5S's pricing will be?

Generally Wal-Mart's brick and mortar stores only carry the 16gb or lower models. You should be able to buy the 32gb and up from there online store.

DeanKeith
Sep 12, 2013, 06:50 PM
Generally Wal-Mart's brick and mortar stores only carry the 16gb or lower models. You should be able to buy the 32gb and up from there online store. Thanks for the info. Hopefully they'll have pricing on their site before the 20th so I can decide where I'm going to buy.

It may not seem like a big deal to most, but 4 of my 5 family members will likely be upgrading to 32GB or 64GB 5s models, so if the savings were $20 each for example, that'd save me $80. :)

Spacial
Sep 12, 2013, 08:27 PM
I noticed quite a number of articles online today regarding WalMarts 20% discount on the 5C. With its bright colors & youthful look I bet they will sell all they can get. This sets quite a precedent. Apples never discounted brand new iPhones from day one.

Wreckless316
Sep 13, 2013, 07:01 PM
Anyone have success preordering at Walmart today? My local walmart didn't even know what i was talking about

Perfect Score
Sep 14, 2013, 12:29 AM
Sigh. What on earth are you talking about? $10 to $20 is still $10 to $20. How can you possibly say it "doesn't make any difference"? How much the contract runs in the long run is utterly and completely irrelevant.

LOL this is why America's in financial troubles.

Refer to the laptopmag iPhone 5C plans. The cheapest plan will cost you $80 per month for 2 years. It comes to a grand total of $1956. So a $20 discount is 1% off. And I haven't included the upfront $80 paid to Walmart.

And if you get 5S, obviously the upfront goes up.

john123
Sep 14, 2013, 01:14 AM
LOL this is why America's in financial troubles.

Refer to the laptopmag iPhone 5C plans. The cheapest plan will cost you $80 per month for 2 years. It comes to a grand total of $1956. So a $20 discount is 1% off. And I haven't included the upfront $80 paid to Walmart.

And if you get 5S, obviously the upfront goes up.

Why are you putting it in percentage terms? There's zero point in doing so. I repeat: IT IS STILL $10 or $20. Trying to put it in "perspective" is, actually, how people get themselves in financial trouble. They continue to justify the accumulation of small costs as inconsequential, but in the grand scheme of things, they add up.

Please see the discussion I already included earlier regarding how to perform an economic decision analysis. Sunk costs should never be included, and in the short-run, neither should fixed costs. The cell phone contract and the "basic" cost of getting a phone fall into those buckets.

Perfect Score
Sep 14, 2013, 02:34 AM
Why are you putting it in percentage terms? There's zero point in doing so. I repeat: IT IS STILL $10 or $20. Trying to put it in "perspective" is, actually, how people get themselves in financial trouble. They continue to justify the accumulation of small costs as inconsequential, but in the grand scheme of things, they add up.

Please see the discussion I already included earlier regarding how to perform an economic decision analysis. Sunk costs should never be included, and in the short-run, neither should fixed costs. The cell phone contract and the "basic" cost of getting a phone fall into those buckets.

Not buying the phone = no sunk or fixed cost. You won't be locked into an expensive contract if you just use the old one.

Percentages matter because people think "OMG I'm saving $10! What a steal! I have to get the cool phone" instead of "F%ck I ain't spending $2000 on a phone that's marginally improved."

It's called long term financial planning.

john123
Sep 14, 2013, 04:00 PM
Not buying the phone = no sunk or fixed cost. You won't be locked into an expensive contract if you just use the old one.

Percentages matter because people think "OMG I'm saving $10! What a steal! I have to get the cool phone" instead of "F%ck I ain't spending $2000 on a phone that's marginally improved."

Not buying the phone is not the option we were discussing. We were talking about people who want an iPhone 5S and whether the $10 discount at Walmart matters. If the default position is—just like any microeconomics problem—"I will begin this venture," then the contract and some baseline cost for the device are fixed or sunk costs.

Percentages don't matter because at the end of the day, the only thing that matters for a person who has decided to purchase an iPhone 5S is the marginal cost. The notion that they shouldn't care about $10 just because the contract and phone itself are pricey is absolute and unadulterated idiocy. That's as stupid as saying that you shouldn't care whether you use a $10 shopping coupon because your mortgage is expensive. Again, for about the third time, $10 is $10. If a person has some moral objection to shopping at Walmart, or doing so is somehow more inconvenient, or Walmart doesn't have sufficient stock, then sure, there's an argument for not doing it. But ceteris paribus, I see no reason why an economically rational buyer wouldn't choose to save themselves $10. It's just as significant there as is a shopping, dining, or other type of coupon.

Also, your example is irrationally constructed (as is the rest of your gibberish, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised) because it presents a false dichotomy. If they're using the same carrier, then it's not a $2000 marginal expense. The person using their "old one," to quote you, still incurs the contract cost. Thus, the only marginal expense is the cost of the phone. And again, the case I was discussing was the person who has already decided that they want to get an iPhone 5S—although it really doesn't matter, because the person on the fence has three choices:
1) Not upgrade and pay the contract fees monthly
2) Upgrade at $199+tax+upgrade fee at a usual suspect retailer
3) Upgrade at $189+tax+upgrade fee at WalMart

It's called understanding basic microeconomics. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you to comprehend, but I sure wouldn't want you managing my finances with your cavalier attitude. That approach is what got so many people in trouble, justifying each incremental expense with the non-sensical logic, "Oh, it's just a little bit more; I'll add it to my revolving credit card bill."

You'd be well served to obtain and read a book on microeconomic decision making.

loybond
Sep 16, 2013, 02:54 AM
Must be a national thing with us, cuz I totally agree with you. $20 off and people are excited? WTF? Who cares when the monthly bill is 4x that? I was gonna bring up the percentage thing myself until I saw that you did.

If people have decided to buy anyway, sure, extra $20 back in the pocket, but sales usually exist to boost sales, and if $20 less convinces someone to go sign up for a 2-year contract, well... yeah.

JAT
Sep 16, 2013, 07:17 AM
If you have an enterprise account you should be shopping at Walmart anyway ha ha lol

Isn't it amazing that the most commonly missed word in typing on the internet is the word that would completely reverse the meaning of your comment?

'should not be'

Perfect Score
Sep 16, 2013, 05:15 PM
Must be a national thing with us, cuz I totally agree with you. $20 off and people are excited? WTF? Who cares when the monthly bill is 4x that? I was gonna bring up the percentage thing myself until I saw that you did.

If people have decided to buy anyway, sure, extra $20 back in the pocket, but sales usually exist to boost sales, and if $20 less convinces someone to go sign up for a 2-year contract, well... yeah.

Yup we're framing the choices in totally different ways.

He's thinking from "I'm gonna get the phone anyway so $20 off is $20 off."

I'm saying "If you don't buy the phone, you're saving $2000."

That's why marketing and sales gimmicks works ;)

john123
Sep 16, 2013, 11:00 PM
Yup we're framing the choices in totally different ways.

He's thinking from "I'm gonna get the phone anyway so $20 off is $20 off."

I'm saying "If you don't buy the phone, you're saving $2000."

That's why marketing and sales gimmicks works ;)

Get off your high horse. I have an MBA from one of the top two business schools in the USA, and a background in marketing research. As I stated previously—and, I'll note, you were unable to articulate any sort of reply—you're creating a false dichotomy. Your argument presumes that some consumer is on the fence about whether or not to cancel their freaking cell phone contract versus buy an iPhone 5S. Are you unable to see how ludicrous that is? How that is NOT the choice pretty much ANY consumer is really making?

This is borderline exasperating, but I'll explain this one more time. The cell phone contract is a given. The $2000 is a sunk cost. The only questions are when to upgrade the phone and what phone to get. A user who has decided on an iPhone 5S right now can either choose to pay full retail ($199+upgrade+tax), or they can choose to save $10 by buying it at Walmart.

As before, $10 is $10. If you go around lighting Alexander Hamiltons on fire with glee, then I suppose it doesn't matter. If Walmart is for some reason inconvenient for you, or you have moral objections to buying products there, or they won't have the capacity or color you want, or you use something like a ShopDiscover discount on Apple.com, then there is also a reason to purchase your phone elsewhere. But otherwise, ceteris paribus (which is the phrase I used in my previous post—look it up, since you apparently don't know what it means), a rational consumer will go ahead and buy their phone at Walmart.

----------

Per the above, virtually no one is being convinced to sign up for a 2-year contract who otherwise wouldn't by virtue of a sale. That isn't the contention whatsoever.

My respect for Canada has taken a real turn for the worse.

bostonsox
Sep 19, 2013, 04:37 PM
On a more serious note, anybody get BestBuy to price match walmart?

Bigdawg4
Sep 19, 2013, 06:57 PM
Get off your high horse. I have an MBA from one of the top two business schools in the USA, and a background in marketing research. As I stated previously—and, I'll note, you were unable to articulate any sort of reply—you're creating a false dichotomy. Your argument presumes that some consumer is on the fence about whether or not to cancel their freaking cell phone contract versus buy an iPhone 5S. Are you unable to see how ludicrous that is? How that is NOT the choice pretty much ANY consumer is really making?

This is borderline exasperating, but I'll explain this one more time. The cell phone contract is a given. The $2000 is a sunk cost. The only questions are when to upgrade the phone and what phone to get. A user who has decided on an iPhone 5S right now can either choose to pay full retail ($199+upgrade+tax), or they can choose to save $10 by buying it at Walmart.

As before, $10 is $10. If you go around lighting Alexander Hamiltons on fire with glee, then I suppose it doesn't matter. If Walmart is for some reason inconvenient for you, or you have moral objections to buying products there, or they won't have the capacity or color you want, or you use something like a ShopDiscover discount on Apple.com, then there is also a reason to purchase your phone elsewhere. But otherwise, ceteris paribus (which is the phrase I used in my previous post—look it up, since you apparently don't know what it means), a rational consumer will go ahead and buy their phone at Walmart.

----------

Per the above, virtually no one is being convinced to sign up for a 2-year contract who otherwise wouldn't by virtue of a sale. That isn't the contention whatsoever.

You cant fix stupid!!! If you had no interest in discussing wether or not buying an iphone from walmart instead of the traditional tech stores then why are you here. There arent 2 sides to this discussion...you are all by yourself. It is a given the people on this thread were considering purchasing the 5s...the only person not discussing that is you, So pleaase move along so the grown ups can talk...

john123
Sep 20, 2013, 04:15 AM
You cant fix stupid!!! If you had no interest in discussing wether or not buying an iphone from walmart instead of the traditional tech stores then why are you here. There arent 2 sides to this discussion...you are all by yourself. It is a given the people on this thread were considering purchasing the 5s...the only person not discussing that is you, So pleaase move along so the grown ups can talk...

Did you even read a word I wrote? Clearly not. Perhaps what I wrote was written at a level too sophisticated for you? Judging from your syntax, that seems to be the most likely hypothesis.

I wholeheartedly agree, however. You really can't fix stupid.

Bigdawg4
Sep 20, 2013, 09:22 AM
Did you even read a word I wrote? Clearly not. Perhaps what I wrote was written at a level too sophisticated for you? Judging from your syntax, that seems to be the most likely hypothesis.

I wholeheartedly agree, however. You really can't fix stupid.

John123...My response that you replied to was directed not at you but at the person you were arguing with. I was supporting you in this thread. Im sorry my response to him was too sophisticted for you.

john123
Sep 20, 2013, 09:52 AM
John123...My response that you replied to was directed not at you but at the person you were arguing with. I was supporting you in this thread. Im sorry my response to him was too sophisticted for you.

Well don't I feel like the **** now.

loybond
Sep 23, 2013, 11:15 AM
LOL, you crack me up. "My internet opinion matters more than yours because I say have a fancy degree, so agree with me OR ELSE!" BTW, I have a fancy MBA from a top school as well. Completely meaningless crap.

Get off your high horse. I have an MBA from one of the top two business schools in the USA, and a background in marketing research.

It says a lot about you that you let one or two people influence your point of view of an entire country. Gee, I wonder what would happen if people thought of Americans and the US that way?

john123
Sep 23, 2013, 01:02 PM
LOL, you crack me up.
You're welcome.

"My internet opinion matters more than yours because I say have a fancy degree, so agree with me OR ELSE!" BTW, I have a fancy MBA from a top school as well. Completely meaningless crap.
Cute rant. Your blather aside, we aren't talking about "opinions." We're talking about core economic concepts that are taught in every university, combined with (gasp) common sense and logic.

It says a lot about you that you let one or two people influence your point of view of an entire country. Gee, I wonder what would happen if people thought of Americans and the US that way?
Guess they didn't teach you snark in that allegedly "top" school you attended. But now that I recall the "Canada" part of your profile, I suppose I understand your indignation. If I lived in Canada, I'd be indignant too.