PDA

View Full Version : MBA to be replaced: how to migrate SSD data?

Enrico
Sep 12, 2013, 10:01 AM
Hi guys!

Applecare is going to advance replace my MBA by sending a new one to me and having me to send the old one back.
I'd like to mirror an image of the SSD as it is now in a USB3 stick, and to restore via Disk Utility in Recovery into the new MBA drive.
Is it possible to restore a SuperDuper backup via Recovery in Mountain Lion?

Thanks!:cool:

page404
Sep 12, 2013, 10:59 AM
Why not create a full backup with Timemachine and choose to recover from this backup when you setup your new Macbook?

TheChemist
Sep 12, 2013, 11:08 AM
TM will be the simplest solution. Once you boot up your new Air, you'll be prompted if you want to migrate from a TM backup.

I don't recall seeing using a disc image from disk utility as an option.

Enrico
Sep 12, 2013, 11:19 AM
Would it be possible to restore the TM backup having formatted beforehand in Recovery the internal SSD of the new one?
I will try tonight to see if TM will include my Parallels VM aswell, since I just discovered it was automatically excluded (maybe reason why the TM backup was MUCH smaller than SSD occupied space)

Boyd01
Sep 12, 2013, 02:48 PM
You could also just plug your time machine backup disk into the new machine when you first turn it on and let the Migration Assistant do everything for you. This has worked virtually flawlessly for me on my last two machines.

Enrico
Sep 20, 2013, 09:47 AM
TM backup restored everything....just need to check the Parallels VM!
The downside is that I got a SanDisk SSD with lower write speed than the Samsung I have in the other MBA....

Will I notice the difference in any situation, apart from the Blackmagic speedtest?
I guess I can't switch SSD between these 2 machines without going into troubles with Applecare:(:(