PDA

View Full Version : Display Panel Shipment Projections Suggest iPhone 5c May Be More Popular Than iPhone 5s

MacRumors
Sep 12, 2013, 11:27 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/12/display-panel-shipment-projections-suggest-iphone-5c-may-be-more-popular-than-iphone-5s/)

Shipment volumes of the display panels used in Apple's new iPhone 5s are expected to reach 10-15 million units in the third quarter of 2013, according to industry sources cited by Digitimes (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130912PD205.html). Primary Apple supplier Sharp is expected to produce 7 million units, with LG Display and Japan Display expected to pick up the rest of the orders for the recently announced device.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/iphone_5s_5c.jpgIn addition to Sharp, LG Display and Japan Display are expected to pick up the rest of the orders, making the three companies the main panel suppliers for the iPhone 5s, the sources said.

Additionally, more than 20 million panels for the device are expected to be shipped in the fourth quarter of 2013, the sources said. The report also states that display panel orders for the lower-cost iPhone 5c are expected to reach 30 million units in the fourth quarter, with analysts suggesting that the high volume of panel shipments for the iPhone 5c may signal an expectation set by Apple for the mid-range device to do well in the region.Market observers added that panel shipments for the iPhone 5c are expected to surpass those of the iPhone 5s, showing that Apple is more optimistic about growth in the mid-range handset segment in markets such as China. Previously, it was reported that iPhone 5s production would be limited (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/12/iphone-5s-production-reportedly-limited-to-3-4-million-units-in-q3-2013-due-to-fingerprint-sensor-shortages/) to 3-4 million units in Q3 2013 due to shortages of the device's fingerprint sensor, which Apple is touting as a key feature (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/11/apple-offers-additional-details-on-touch-id-iphone-5s-wont-store-fingerprint-images/). Additionally, a report earlier (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/07/sharp-slated-to-begin-iphone-5s-display-production-in-june/) this year stated that Apple had sent orders for LCD panels for the iPhone 5S to all three companies in June, with Japan Display gearing up (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/07/sharp-slated-to-begin-iphone-5s-display-production-in-june/) production levels as of last month.

The iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c will go on sale in nine countries on September 20, with the iPhone 5c available for pre-order on September 13. Apple is not accepting (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/iphone-5s-will-not-be-available-for-pre-order/) pre-orders for the iPhone 5s.

Article Link: Display Panel Shipment Projections Suggest iPhone 5c May Be More Popular Than iPhone 5s (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/12/display-panel-shipment-projections-suggest-iphone-5c-may-be-more-popular-than-iphone-5s/)

Aluminum213
Sep 12, 2013, 11:31 AM
Neither of these phones will be hard to find

Buzz is next to zero, but it will sell millions

syd430
Sep 12, 2013, 11:37 AM
I still can't figure out who is going to buy this thing.

Edit: at that price point

pancakedrawer
Sep 12, 2013, 11:38 AM
Shipments don't indicate popularity. Don't believe me, ask Microsoft.

Adam552
Sep 12, 2013, 11:42 AM
I prefer the appearance of the 5c, I also prefer the look of my iPhone 5 to the 5s.

Not surprised if it were to be more popular really, it's cheaper, runs fast enough for average user. I'd buy one over the 5s probably.

numlock
Sep 12, 2013, 11:50 AM
expensive for most chinese, not those with a lot of money

this is the same strategy as Mac's. dell/hp still sell more computers than apple. who makes more money?

but here apple has a phone that is slightly more expensive but a much better device. that scenario wasnt or isnt there with the computers

aikomhoch
Sep 12, 2013, 11:52 AM

This is a good phone for younger people. A friend of mine is buying a 5c for his 11 year old son. Kid wants 32gigs so he can shoot some video and mess around, but he doesn't need top of the line new phone. Saves the family some upfront money. I believe this phone will be very popular for middle schoolers and high schoolers.

QCassidy352
Sep 12, 2013, 11:54 AM

50% of iPhone sales in the last year were not iPhone 5. Meaning half the buyers went for 4 or 4s. Since the 5c is billed as an all new model, and will appeal to some folks on color alone, I assume that number not buying the flagship model will rise.

Personally, I agree - would much rather pay $100 more (not much over the life of the contract) for the flagship model. But prior selling trends indicate the 5c will do very well.

adildacoolset
Sep 12, 2013, 11:56 AM
Oh my, so are you saying that the forum posters here with no knowledge or experience in the industry are wrong?

jameslmoser
Sep 12, 2013, 12:09 PM
I'm betting the cost difference between the two models is going to increase after launch.

BruiserB
Sep 12, 2013, 12:34 PM
I wonder if the 5c will actually be more profitable for Apple than the 5s? They seem to be pushing it almost more strongly than the flagship...allowing pre-orders, cool cases, etc. Don't know how much the A7 and the fingerprint sensor cost but maybe they actually make the 5s the lower margin phone?

inselstudent
Sep 12, 2013, 12:39 PM
So there are different displays in the two devices? Is it known yet whether there's an IGZO panel in the 5s?

Klae17
Sep 12, 2013, 12:49 PM
Here are my two questions:

How many 5S will be at launch day?

How many iPhones can you buy at launch?

twoehr
Sep 12, 2013, 12:49 PM
I wonder if the 5c will actually be more profitable for Apple than the 5s? They seem to be pushing it almost more strongly than the flagship...allowing pre-orders, cool cases, etc. Don't know how much the A7 and the fingerprint sensor cost but maybe they actually make the 5s the lower margin phone?

I agree with you. The goal is to maximize profit, not sell the most of the most expensive product (the two are rarely the same). Assuming Apple's profit is equal for both products I could see them allowing the 5c to cannibalize 5s sales. They'll make the same and be able to say the 5c was a success to the doubters.

Vctr
Sep 12, 2013, 01:03 PM
So there are different displays in the two devices? Is it known yet whether there's an IGZO panel in the 5s?

Yea that would be a question I have too. I thought it was the same exact display on both phones?

Carlanga
Sep 12, 2013, 01:07 PM
Klae17...
I understand, but people are not that stupid this day & age. We shall see if it was a 'brilliant' move by the exes to get more $ or if people won't buy the $200 version at all.

DRP52
Sep 12, 2013, 01:14 PM
I am stuck with an iPhone 4. Works perfectly, but should I update to the iPhone 5s? You have to take into account that I will be locked in with this plan for 3 years. Last years model with a plastic case is not an option. Your opinions please!!!!!

Sodner
Sep 12, 2013, 01:24 PM
I got my daughter a iPhone 5 16GB model a few months ago. (She refused to wait for the new models.)

I know that if we were buying a new phone with the new options, we would be getting the 32GB 5c. She could care less about aluminum unibody construction. She's rather have more space and I suspect would love the color choices.

There is a market for the 5c.

Sorry to those who want an iPhone for $100 off contract. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

KazKam
Sep 12, 2013, 01:27 PM
Apple never said they were producing a lower cost iPhone, the tech media and analysts just assumed that the 5C would be cheap. You all know what they say about making assumptions.

All Apple has done is the same thing they do every iPhone releases... Release an improved top of the line, and bump older models down in price by $100/tier. There's just a small twist this time. They rewrapped the 5 in the 5C shell... for two reasons: 1) to differentiate it from the 5S, since the 5 and 5s look nearly identical, and 2) to appease or appeal to those who would already be prepared to buy the last gen 5 (if it wasn't called the 5C) and give 'em a few color options in the process.

#1 is the main reason. If anything, I think the 5C will sell MORE 5Ss.

Casiotone
Sep 12, 2013, 01:46 PM
I suspect that Apple won't be able to produce enough 5S to satisfy the initial demand because of the new CPU, co-processor and fingerprint reader, each one of them has the potential to have constrained supply.

Hopefully a lot of people having a hard time finding a 5S could end up getting a 5C, something that may have not happened if the alternative was only "last year's iPhone".

So what's your bets on how many iPhones Apple will sell in the first week-end of availability?

They sold 5 million iPhone 5 last year in the 1st w-e. With the 5C which will be easy to mass-produce, the expanded launch around the world and the fact that the iPhone market is still growing, they may be able to sell at least 10 million of them in the first week-end.

AWTTech
Sep 12, 2013, 01:53 PM
From my point of view, shipment projections do not suggest anything. Look at Microsoft. ;)

kdog0126
Sep 12, 2013, 02:04 PM

It will sell millions...kids and women will love it. And they aren't buying at full price. Most will get on contract for $99. Buying two for my kids...upgrade from iPhone 4

----------

This is a good phone for younger people. A friend of mine is buying a 5c for his 11 year old son. Kid wants 32gigs so he can shoot some video and mess around, but he doesn't need top of the line new phone. Saves the family some upfront money. I believe this phone will be very popular for middle schoolers and high schoolers.

Agreed...!

QCassidy352
Sep 12, 2013, 02:08 PM
except you don't have to pay any extra money to get the flagship model, both have one in the $200 price point.

Cost of entry is what matters. The base model of everything - phones, cars, computers, etc always sells by far the best. There is a lower cost of entry to the 5c than the flagship. The fact that there is also a more expensive 5c changes my prior statement not one bit.

milo
Sep 12, 2013, 02:13 PM
Sorry to those who want an iPhone for $100 off contract.

Straw man.

absurdamerica
Sep 12, 2013, 02:14 PM
Cost of entry is what matters. The base model of everything - phones, cars, computers, etc always sells by far the best. There is a lower cost of entry to the 5c than the flagship. The fact that there is also a more expensive 5c changes my prior statement not one bit.

Agreed, but the "lower cost of entry" applied to the previous approach of reselling the old flagship at a reduced price. So customers are going to line up and pay the same price differential for the same product as they would have previously, just repackaged in a plastic shell?

Carmenia83
Sep 12, 2013, 04:05 PM

Remember when analysts predicted that the iPad Mini would be $199-$249 and people were "outraged" at the $329 price point? They don't seem to be having any trouble selling them. Actually, they're outselling the full size iPads last I heard.

Ryth
Sep 12, 2013, 04:44 PM

People who get on the subsidized contracts. Its $99.

----------

I suspect that Apple won't be able to produce enough 5S to satisfy the initial demand because of the new CPU, co-processor and fingerprint reader, each one of them has the potential to have constrained supply.

Hopefully a lot of people having a hard time finding a 5S could end up getting a 5C, something that may have not happened if the alternative was only "last year's iPhone".

So what's your bets on how many iPhones Apple will sell in the first week-end of availability?

They sold 5 million iPhone 5 last year in the 1st w-e. With the 5C which will be easy to mass-produce, the expanded launch around the world and the fact that the iPhone market is still growing, they may be able to sell at least 10 million of them in the first week-end.

I actually think it's going to be the opposite.

They won't be able to keep the 5C in stock...especially for the holidays.

I think the 5S will take off but not till later...especially after government tries it out for security.

The 6 is going to be the rebirth or death of the iPhone. They really need to knock it out of the park with the design/look/screen/etc..

scbn
Sep 12, 2013, 05:01 PM
Last year Apple ran into production problems at Foxconn - the i5 was hard to produce. This year with 5C which should be easier than 5 to produce, I would be disappointed if they can only sell 10m units. I think Apple will have a blow out number.

gmcalpin
Sep 12, 2013, 05:20 PM
Apple exes should stop smoking...

$200 5C on contract lmao

Please, like they're going to be $200 everywhere. T-Mobile is offering them for $0 down.

https://explore.t-mobile.com/iphone-5c

huggyb
Sep 12, 2013, 06:49 PM
Since the 5C and NOT the 5S is going to China Mobile that has 700 million subscribers, wouldn't that suggest that the 5C will be more popular by default? Of course they'll need more panels for the 5C with that kind of possible subscriber purchases.

Carlanga
Sep 12, 2013, 07:15 PM
Please, like they're going to be $200 everywhere. T-Mobile is offering them for $0 down.

https://explore.t-mobile.com/iphone-5c

lol, it's $0 down and you have to pay $22/mo for 24 months = $528 ;)

The $200 5C I'm referring is the 32GB one w/ 2 year contract anyway ...

kdarling
Sep 12, 2013, 07:20 PM
Agreed, but the "lower cost of entry" applied to the previous approach of reselling the old flagship at a reduced price. So customers are going to line up and pay the same price differential for the same product as they would have previously, just repackaged in a plastic shell?

Obviously Apple hopes so. If it works, it'll shore up their average profit margin, which has been dropping because of people buying the older, less expensive devices.

Apple also does not want a repeat of last year, when they couldn't match initial demand due to the difficulty of powder coated metal assembly.

So they've gone plastic, which solves both the profit margin and build/supply problems. They've also been setting up trade-in deals and even loan programs in some countries, along with allowing discounts, in order to maximize the number of potential sales.

meekgeek
Sep 12, 2013, 08:00 PM
I'm curious as to how they are able to tell the difference between which models the display/screen orders are meant for, to come up with that projection.

Last year, Apple launched 2 devices with the 4" display: iPhone 5 & iPod touch (5th gen) and they did tout that although the iPod touch was cheaper, they both have the same display with the same image quality.

Unless Apple is again cheapening out and using an inferior display for the iPhone 5c, which isn't on par with the iPhone 5? Hope we'll have more answers once they go on sale.

auxiliary
Sep 12, 2013, 09:12 PM
4 years of owning an iPhone and I'm going for the 5c. The power of the 5 is fine and the 5c is pretty much the same. I can't justify $100 extra for a finger print reader, and some health monitor chip. Not to mention a phone that looks like the 5 and the fact that I don't even want either phone. I want a bigger screen. Like 4.5"

Xiroteus
Sep 12, 2013, 09:30 PM
May not be surprised if it does not I still do not believe it makes any sense, it is not cheap. It costs what the iPhone 5 would cost which has better build quality and Apple could not even match the front to the back color making it look wrong. I really don't get it.

If it does sell well I guess all they have to do is repackage their old model phone in cheaper plastic and act like it is something new and amazing.

VTECaddict
Sep 12, 2013, 10:05 PM

I would have expected Apple to use the exact same front panel assembly for both phones to minimize production cost and maximize supply flexibility.

ArtOfWarfare
Sep 12, 2013, 10:18 PM
I am stuck with an iPhone 4. Works perfectly, but should I update to the iPhone 5s? You have to take into account that I will be locked in with this plan for 3 years. Last years model with a plastic case is not an option. Your opinions please!!!!!

Nope.

I had the 3GS and the 4S. I'm tired of the S cycle. The S updates are never anywhere near as cool as the full new number updates. You're buying hardware that looks like it's been around for over a year (because it basically has been) and will seem just as old as the -S when the next update comes around.

I'm holding out for the 6, which based on current rumors will be very cool (and not have both the fewest bullet points, 3, and the lamest, Apple has ever shown at for a new flagship product. Their 1:30 show, also a record for shortness, had 30 minutes worth of filler, a record for filler. By every metric I can think of, the 5C/5S are Apple's lamest iPhones ever (relative to what already exists, of course. If the 5 had been the 5S instead, obviously it would have been very cool a year earlier.)

macs4nw
Sep 13, 2013, 01:59 AM

It works perfectly, it's presumably paid for: Save Your Money! Other than some iOs7 features that may not work on the 4, the major thing you're missing out on is speed. If your current 4 will hold up for another year, get the 6 next year, which will undoubtedly be shinier, faster, better, again. Just my opinion. ymmv.

Just curious, how will you be locked in for three years?

everything-i
Sep 13, 2013, 04:12 AM
At this stage all 'shipments' mean is Apple thinks the 5C will be more popular than the 5s. After all they haven't actually sold any at the moment.

blackcrayon
Sep 13, 2013, 05:42 AM
4 years of owning an iPhone and I'm going for the 5c. The power of the 5 is fine and the 5c is pretty much the same. I can't justify $100 extra for a finger print reader, and some health monitor chip. Not to mention a phone that looks like the 5 and the fact that I don't even want either phone. I want a bigger screen. Like 4.5"

I can easily justify an extra $100 for significantly better photos, ability to run better games, fingerprint reader, slightly better battery life, and the added conveniences of the M7 chip. If you want a bigger screen, all bets are off. But I can't see how the upgrades in the 5s aren't really desirable.

gmcalpin
Sep 13, 2013, 11:06 AM
lol, it's $0 down and you have to pay $22/mo for 24 months = $528 ;)

The $200 5C I'm referring is the 32GB one w/ 2 year contract anyway ...
You cited the down payment, so I cited the down payment. And so the 32GB one is $99 down at T-Mobile, not the $200 you were "lmao"ing about.

Either way, T-Mobile charges less for the phone than you would on a two year contract OR buying it outright.

Do you think "lol" and ;) can make up for not having a coherent point?

Carlanga
Sep 13, 2013, 11:13 AM
You cited the down payment, so I cited the down payment. And so the 32GB one is $99 down at T-Mobile, not the $200 you were "lmao"ing about.

Either way, T-Mobile charges less for the phone than you would on a two year contract OR buying it outright.

Do you think "lol" and ;) can make up for not having a coherent point?

The only one not making a coherent point is you. $200 is the cost of the 32 GB 5C iPhone w/ a 2 year contract; the $200 is not a down payment. :rolleyes:

gmcalpin
Sep 13, 2013, 11:14 AM
So customers are going to line up and pay the same price differential for the same product as they would have previously, just repackaged in a plastic shell?
It has better battery life than the 5, too; it's not just the plastic shell (which *I* think looks cool).

The main thing is that it costs less, and a lot of people aren't really going to care much that it's plastic versus aluminum — especially people who are upgrading FROM plastic phones (Android users). In any case, it still costs less, and it runs iOS. That's all that matters.

haydn!
Sep 13, 2013, 11:21 AM
The only one not making a coherent point is you. $200 is the cost of the 32 GB 5C iPhone w/ a 2 year contract; the $200 is not a down payment. :rolleyes:

I think you need to link where you're seeing this...

I'm assuming you're referring to $199 quoted by Apple in the keynote? That is the down payment for phone and you'd have your monthly plan cost on top of that $199.

gmcalpin
Sep 13, 2013, 11:22 AM

You don't understand the idea of a subsidized phone, do you? You end up paying more for that "$200" phone over your two-year contract than you would if you just bought it outright.

Carlanga
Sep 13, 2013, 11:49 AM
I think you need to link where you're seeing this...

I'm assuming you're referring to $199 quoted by Apple in the keynote? That is the down payment for phone and you'd have your monthly plan cost on top of that $199.

You don't understand the idea of a subsidized phone, do you? You end up paying more for that "$200" phone over your two-year contract than you would if you just bought it outright.
Of course I know the rest of the cost and more is a part of whatever they charge of the contract, but of course if you are in AT&T where there are no cheaper plan prices that point doesn't work.

Still, even if the cost of the iPhone is part of the cost of the yearly contract they don't tell you how much goes into it, because even you bring your own, they will charge you the same amount for the 2 year contract plan.

A down payment is the initial upfront portion of the total amount due and since there is no way to calculate a total amount due in a 2 yr contract hardware cost, then is not called a down payment but an arbitrary price point that they will give you for a device if you sign up to be with them for 2 years.

haydn!
Sep 13, 2013, 11:59 AM
Of course I know the rest of the cost and more is a part of whatever they charge of the contract, but of course if you are in AT&T where there are no cheaper plan prices that point doesn't work.

Still, even if the cost of the iPhone is part of the cost of the yearly contract they don't tell you how much goes into it, because even you bring your own, they will charge you the same amount for the 2 year contract plan.

A down payment is the initial upfront portion of the total amount due and since there is no way to calculate a total amount due in a 2 yr contract hardware cost, then is not called a down payment but an arbitrary price point that they will give you for a device if you sign up to be with them for 2 years.

...right. It all makes sense now... :confused:

That fact remains, you are wrong. Down payment, upfront cost, call it what you want, not everyone will pay $200 for the phone. As others have pointed out, there are plenty of better deals to be add from various network providers.

absurdamerica
Sep 13, 2013, 12:00 PM
It has better battery life than the 5, too; it's not just the plastic shell (which *I* think looks cool).

The main thing is that it costs less, and a lot of people aren't really going to care much that it's plastic versus aluminum — especially people who are upgrading FROM plastic phones (Android users). In any case, it still costs less, and it runs iOS. That's all that matters.

When you say it costs less, it costs less than what?

Previously you had the 5, the 4S and the 4. Guess what? the 4S cost less and so did the 4. Now you have the 5S, the 5C, and the 4S.

You're acting like they've fundamentally changed their phone offering when they actually haven't. The price points are the same and you're still getting last year's feature set. Just because they put it in a cheaper casing doesn't change what you're getting.

DRP52
Sep 13, 2013, 12:26 PM
It works perfectly, it's presumably paid for: Save Your Money! Other than some iOs7 features that may not work on the 4, the major thing you're missing out on is speed. If your current 4 will hold up for another year, get the 6 next year, which will undoubtedly be shinier, faster, better, again. Just my opinion. ymmv.

Just curious, how will you be locked in for three years?

Signing up for a corporate plan. Sweet deal for living in Canada. 350 anytime, 250 Across Canada LD, free nights and weekends local, unlimited text and video message, and 5 GB of data. All for 50 bucks a month. No pricing on the phone as of yet. Has to be a 3 year plan though.

gmcalpin
Sep 13, 2013, 12:46 PM
When you say it costs less, it costs less than what?
Less than the 5S.

I'm not "acting like they've fundamentally changed their phone offering"; you're arguing with the voices in your head on that point. The mid-range offering cost less than the high-end offering before, and it still costs less.

absurdamerica
Sep 13, 2013, 12:59 PM
Less than the 5S.

I'm not "acting like they've fundamentally changed their phone offering"; you're arguing with the voices in your head on that point. The mid-range offering cost less than the high-end offering before, and it still costs less.

Oh really?

"In any case, it still costs less, and it runs iOS. That's all that matters. "

If that's "all that matters" why would the 5C attract Android customers that previously weren't attracted to buying the 4S or the 4?

Why even bother?

gmcalpin
Sep 13, 2013, 01:09 PM
If that's "all that matters" why would the 5C attract Android customers that previously weren't attracted to buying the 4S or the 4?

Why even bother?
The iPhone already attracts Android users… (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/19/20-of-apple-iphone-customers-switched-from-android-7-of-samsung-buyers-switched-from-ios/) They don't need to try to attract more than that. This phone clearly costs Apple less to manufacture, so they make MORE money even if the rate that Android users switch over doesn't change at all.

CausticPuppy
Sep 13, 2013, 02:18 PM

The same people that would have otherwise bought the "last gen" iPhone 5, at the same price point ($99 for 16GB).

absurdamerica
Sep 13, 2013, 02:26 PM
The iPhone already attracts Android users… (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/19/20-of-apple-iphone-customers-switched-from-android-7-of-samsung-buyers-switched-from-ios/) They don't need to try to attract more than that. This phone clearly costs Apple less to manufacture, so they make MORE money even if the rate that Android users switch over doesn't change at all.

I have a hard time believing that data isn't from the US only where Apple is doing quite well.

gmcalpin
Sep 13, 2013, 02:39 PM
I have a hard time believing that data isn't from the US only where Apple is doing quite well.
The survey was US only. Nothing said it wasn't…?

macs4nw
Sep 13, 2013, 03:58 PM
Signing up for a corporate plan. Sweet deal for living in Canada. 350 anytime, 250 Across Canada LD, free nights and weekends local, unlimited text and video message, and 5 GB of data. All for 50 bucks a month. No pricing on the phone as of yet. Has to be a 3 year plan though.

If your 5S handset prices come in at the same 199-299-399 level, that appears to be a sweet deal indeed, even at a three year term.

Figuring on average ~$20/mo out of that $50/mo, for the handset, could you get a plan like that for $30/mo, if you bought your own (un-locked) phone? That option would allow you to sell your phone privately, if at any time in the future you wanted to upgrade. Carrier upgrades usually end up costing you more. :(

absurdamerica
Sep 13, 2013, 03:58 PM
The survey was US only. Nothing said it wasn't…?

Well it might be interesting to take a look at markets that don't subsidize their phones, where Android has 80 percent market share rather than on focusing on the single market where Apple actually continues to dominate.

wikiverse
Sep 13, 2013, 09:31 PM

Your problem is that you want to get on a contract.

I bought an unlocked iPhone 5, got a bunch of Virgin frequent flyer points, and then shoved in my own sim from my preferred carrier. No contract.

The amount I save on monthly carrier fees more than makes up for cost of purchasing the phone outright. In fact, I end up ahead after just 10 months and I'm free to upgrade my phone or change my carrier at any time. I save about $50/month getting the same call/txt/data without the contract.

Find a no-contract carrier that has good rates/value. Buy the appropriate phone outright.

IGregory
Sep 13, 2013, 10:36 PM
"but it will sell millions"

And that is what matters.

malnar
Sep 14, 2013, 02:39 PM
but here apple has a phone that is slightly more expensive but a much better device. that scenario wasnt or isnt there with the computers
You live in a warped world if you think $100 is "slightly more" expensive. Also consider that many people are not buying one but two, or more, for their spouse or family members. $100 each adds up VERY quickly.

malnar
Sep 14, 2013, 02:49 PM
It costs what the iPhone 5 would cost which has better build quality
For starters, you haven't even touched one, so you can't talk about build quality, but hands-on reviews say it's the usual high Apple build-quality product. Second, most iPhone 5's that I've seen have been peppered with little dings all over the the aluminum back and edges, not to mention those that have bent. Will the 5c suffer these problems? Can't say for sure since we haven't touched them, obviously, but based on the very nature of plastic (and this is a heavily lacquer-coated polycarbonate, not cheap injection-molded polystyrene that most think of when they hear the word "plastic,") it's extremely unlikely.

numlock
Sep 14, 2013, 02:50 PM
You live in a warped world if you think $100 is "slightly more" expensive. Also consider that many people are not buying one but two, or more, for their spouse or family members. $100 each adds up VERY quickly.

please read it again. the price difference in context with the inside of the devices.

i would have wanted it to be a few hundred dollars cheaper especially for the reasons you mention but to me a $100 is not that much when you factor in what you are getting and the possible resale value.

Xiroteus
Sep 14, 2013, 06:26 PM
For starters, you haven't even touched one, so you can't talk about build quality, but hands-on reviews say it's the usual high Apple build-quality product. Second, most iPhone 5's that I've seen have been peppered with little dings all over the the aluminum back and edges, not to mention those that have bent. Will the 5c suffer these problems? Can't say for sure since we haven't touched them, obviously, but based on the very nature of plastic (and this is a heavily lacquer-coated polycarbonate, not cheap injection-molded polystyrene that most think of when they hear the word "plastic,") it's extremely unlikely.

I was thinking quality of materials. A plastic phone can feel strong it's not as high end like metal.

malnar
Sep 15, 2013, 09:16 AM
please read it again. the price difference in context with the inside of the devices.

i would have wanted it to be a few hundred dollars cheaper especially for the reasons you mention but to me a $100 is not that much when you factor in what you are getting and the possible resale value.
The 5c is not going to plummet in value because it's a 5c. It'll retain a great amount of its value simply because it's an Apple product. It'll be less than the 5s is worth, but that's only because the 5s starts higher. I mean, I'm able to sell off my iPhone 4S for between $200-300 today, well over two years after it debuted, and Apple is offering it free on contract. I have no fears that the 5c will somehow lose all of its value in two years. There are plenty of people who will pay good money for a a contract-free iPhone even if it's long past being the latest and greatest.

asthamapheo
Sep 15, 2013, 10:10 AM
only a $100 difference in the 5s and 5C and still it's more popular, either people are really stupid or apple is really smart;)

fatboyslick
Sep 16, 2013, 03:52 AM
more popular?

not according to my mate who works for EE.....complete lack of interest for 5C on pre-order day.

Most people got confused and rang up to order 5S....

Apple, in my opinion, haven't communicated the differing pre-oders very clearly

Solomani
Sep 16, 2013, 10:22 AM
For the 5C, the "zero dollar" down payment incentives from the likes of T-Mobile to WalMart will grab the attention of those new to iPhone's true cost. To many of them, it will seem too good to pass up. That's one thing that's going to drive the 5C sales for the proles (e.g. your Aunt Bertha), at least initially.