Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CHMK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
is there really a noticeable difference when upgrading to ios 7 GA using itunes backup vs icloud backup?

only my i5 on GM is already very snappy, and i hear horror stories about 'corrupt' files. Besides which, i don't have wifi, only ethernet at the moment.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I did a straight upgrade, so no restore from any backup, and iOS 7 is quite snappy and I'm having no issues at all.

The only difference between the two is how long they take. If you have a lot of apps and data, an iCloud restore can take 2-8 hours, depending on the amount of stuff it needs to sync. My last one took close to 8 and I have 20Mbps internet at home.

Restore from an iTunes backup, on the other hand, takes about 45 minutes (same phone, same amount of data).

CHMK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I did a straight upgrade, so no restore from any backup, and iOS 7 is quite snappy and I'm having no issues at all.

The only difference between the two is how long they take. If you have a lot of apps and data, an iCloud restore can take 2-8 hours, depending on the amount of stuff it needs to sync. My last one took close to 8 and I have 20Mbps internet at home.

Restore from an iTunes backup, on the other hand, takes about 45 minutes (same phone, same amount of data).

thank you. i was a bit skeptical about corrupt files and thought they might be a placebo thing.

i have 57gb on my phone . about 200 apps, so i think itunes backup would be more sensible...

besides i assume any corrupt beta residual files, if any, would only contribute to the 'other' section of the iphone and not really slow it down.

acascianelli

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
I installed iOS 7 GM on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini recovering my iCloud backup. Both completed successfully, but both of them had a really hard time download my apps. It would seem to hang when download apps, and I would have to turn wifi off and on again to get it to resume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.