PDA

View Full Version : iMac with Wireless Keyboard & Mouse?

neoelectronaut
Nov 25, 2005, 03:35 AM
I was working today in CompUSA with a customer looking to buy an iMac when I opened the box up and there was the Apple Bluetooth KB&M inside. I was expecting the Mighty Mouse and standard keyboard so this floored me. Is there some sort of special marking on the box that designates this or was this just a fluke? What's the deal?

Will Cheyney
Nov 25, 2005, 05:05 AM
Apple allows you to customise your order, so I guess it's not impossible. I don't know what your policy is though on 'out of the box' specifications.

Was it an iMac w/iSight?

neoelectronaut
Nov 25, 2005, 11:02 PM
Yeah, it was a new 17" iMac with iSight...Retail box off the shelf at CompUSA. I didn't know they made versions of them with the wireless kb&m...I'll have to look into this because it'll save me the extra purchase of the keyboard and mouse.

Anonymous Freak
Nov 25, 2005, 11:26 PM
Yeah, it's a 'standard SKU' for retail now. I've had a few of my customers get this from the local Apple Store from in-store stock, no special order needed. It comes pre-packaged just like you said, with the wireless set, and no wired.

neoelectronaut
Nov 25, 2005, 11:34 PM
Yeah, it's a 'standard SKU' for retail now. I've had a few of my customers get this from the local Apple Store from in-store stock, no special order needed. It comes pre-packaged just like you said, with the wireless set, and no wired.

Really? So they all include wireless kb&m sets? Awesome. It's odd because I was taking a new 17" out of the box to put out on demo and it had the wired kb/mighty mouse, so I'm certainly thrown for a loop here.

Anonymous Freak
Nov 27, 2005, 02:13 PM
Really? So they all include wireless kb&m sets? Awesome. It's odd because I was taking a new 17" out of the box to put out on demo and it had the wired kb/mighty mouse, so I'm certainly thrown for a loop here.

No, the default configuration is wired/mighty, sorry. I meant that the wireless package is a 'standard' configuration rather than a 'build to order' configuration. It is not the 'base' configuration, however. You still pay extra for wireless kb/mouse, it's just that you can get it pre-packaged, rather than having to either buy the kb/mouse separately (and have two sets, one wired, one wireless,) or having to special order it.

The big benefit comes from the fact that if you special order a computer, you can't return it for a refund. (You can still get it replaced under warranty, but you can't just decide you don't like it and return it.) By having this as a 'standard' configuration, if you decide that you don't want it within the first 30 days, you can return it for a refund (-10% restock fee,) just like any other 'standard' configuration. (These only apply to the Apple Stores, I don't know about other retailer's policies.)