PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile Offering iPhone 5c for $0 Down, iPhone 5s for $99 Down

MacRumors
Sep 12, 2013, 01:01 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/12/t-mobile-offering-iphone-5c-for-0-down-iphone-5s-for-99-down/)

T-Mobile has announced its pricing for Apple's new iPhones, offering the iPhone 5c with no down payment and the iPhone 5s for a $99 down payment.

The 16GB iPhone 5c (https://explore.t-mobile.com/iphone-5c) will require 24 monthly payments of $22 per month for a total device cost of $528, while the 16GB iPhone 5s (https://explore.t-mobile.com/iphone-5s) will require 24 monthly payments of $22.91 for a total device cost of $648.84.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/iphone_5s_5c.jpg
While the iPhone 5s pricing is inline with the price of an unsubsidized device directly from Apple, the iPhone 5c from T-Mobile offers a slight discount of $20 off of the standard $549 price of the phone.

As with other carriers (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/12/iphone-5c-pre-orders-to-begin-at-1201-am-pacific-time-on-friday-september-13/), T-Mobile will begin offering pre-orders for the iPhone 5c on Friday, September 13 at 12:01 AM PT. The iPhone 5s, which will not be available for pre-order, can be purchased from T-Mobile on September 20.

Article Link: T-Mobile Offering iPhone 5c for $0 Down, iPhone 5s for $99 Down (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/12/t-mobile-offering-iphone-5c-for-0-down-iphone-5s-for-99-down/)

Klae17
Sep 12, 2013, 01:07 PM
Is this only in the tmobile store or also in the Apple stores?

isepic
Sep 12, 2013, 01:20 PM
Apple only sold them as fully unlocked for the T-Mobile (unsubsidized) they didn't do the Jump prices at all at apple.com or in apple store (ONLY at T-Mobile store - even retailers like Costco and Target, etc. still sell contracts on T-Mobile!)

TXCherokee
Sep 12, 2013, 01:22 PM
I can't wait to leave Verizon. I'm lucky enough to live in a very strong cell area (Dallas, TX) so any carrier is an viable option. T-Mobiles new family plans will save me $100 a month, and that's not counting the benefit of either keeping the phone past the 22 month mark and paying even less or being able to upgrade whenever I damn well feel like it.

I hope T-Mobile's plans are successful enough to get the rest of America off the subsidized model.

hbman122
Sep 12, 2013, 01:23 PM
Is it me or this insanely cheap?....

viperGTS
Sep 12, 2013, 01:26 PM
Just as I was about to get an iPhone 5... I might have to consider this!

PsstGreek
Sep 12, 2013, 01:31 PM

T-Mobile stores. Apple only sells T-Mobile iPhones for full retail price.

paul4339
Sep 12, 2013, 01:32 PM
yup the 5c will do well... all those subs with plans that up for renewal and that don't really care much about which type of smartphone they get as long as it's "free", now can get a 'new' iphone.

Ethere
Sep 12, 2013, 01:37 PM
Any news yet on if this will support the T-Mobile wifi calling feature?

atteligibility
Sep 12, 2013, 01:37 PM

it's you

hbman122
Sep 12, 2013, 01:41 PM
it's you
Maybe it's because I'm British? You get never get those Down prices on that cheaper contract, especially on a new brand new phone, well in the past anyway. No networks here have announced pricing so that might change, who knows

paul4339
Sep 12, 2013, 01:41 PM

it's only around $20 cheaper

goobot
Sep 12, 2013, 01:42 PM

No, it is the opposite. In the past with contracts i could upgrade 18 months in and get out of paying that last 6 months worth where now i can't. You are paying more.

hbman122
Sep 12, 2013, 01:44 PM
No, it is the opposite. In the past with contracts i could upgrade 18 months in and get out of paying that last 6 months worth where now i can't. You are paying more.
To get on a 24 month contract and pay only 100 for the down payment, you would have to pay at least 35 or more a month. (on a brand new phone that is)

coffeemadmanUK
Sep 12, 2013, 01:58 PM

Erm but you're also getting the minutes/data/texts so it's way cheaper.

I find this incredibly cheap to be honest. I got my iPhone 5 a few weeks after launch for 99 (so say $165) on a 36 per month contract (say $50) and that's a fairly standard pricing here.

Seriously if that's normal over there then count yourselves very lucky.

hbman122
Sep 12, 2013, 02:02 PM
Erm but you're also getting the minutes/data/texts so it's way cheaper.

I find this incredibly cheap to be honest. I got my iPhone 5 a few weeks after launch for 99 (so say $165) on a 36 per month contract (say $50) and that's a fairly standard pricing here.

Seriously if that's normal over there then count yourselves very lucky.
Thought so!

mainmac
Sep 12, 2013, 02:21 PM
I think those of you foreign to the US misunderstand what the monthly price is for. That is not the monthly contract for phone service, that is simply the payment plan for the phone purchase. You pay $60 / month for 2.5GB data, unlimited talk & text, AND you pay $22-23 / month for the first 24 months to pay off the phone. $82 / month.

Unlike other carriers you can at least switch before 2 years by paying off the remainder of the phone payments.

hbman122
Sep 12, 2013, 02:23 PM
I think those of you foreign to the US misunderstand what the monthly price is for. That is not the monthly contract for phone service, that is simply the payment plan for the phone purchase. You pay $60 / month for 2.5GB data, unlimited talk & text, AND you pay $22-23 / month for the first 24 months to pay off the phone. $82 / month.

Unlike other carriers you can at least switch before 2 years by paying off the remainder of the phone payments.
ohhhh i see. So its the same price but just spread over the contract time.

KeepCalmPeople
Sep 12, 2013, 02:27 PM
So does T-Mobile give you $100 for the iPhone 4S? :D:D:D

(yes I know the 4S doesn't work on T-Mobile or something)

sixstrings03
Sep 12, 2013, 02:41 PM
It's also an interest free loan over two years for the phone... so about $25 cheaper

u6crash
Sep 12, 2013, 02:48 PM
This is the route I'm thinking of going. I have never owned a smartphone and if I can negotiate a raise at work I think I might give it a try. I like that TMobile doesn't have a contract and it seems like their plans are a little more affordable than other carriers. What would be really great is if I had the ability to pay off the phone early should I feel I want to move to another provider. I'll have to inquire about that.

liavman
Sep 12, 2013, 02:52 PM
Ah.. now I understand the strategy behind iPhone 5c.

This year's iPhone... free.. Millions of T-Mobile feature phone customers will jump on this deal.

Sounds psychologically much better than a free two year old phone. I got that for the kids. This deal is for me. That is the difference.

This 5c is going to fly off the shelves

chrmjenkins
Sep 12, 2013, 03:11 PM
Pretty awesome that T-mobile does this. It's essentially a no-interest loan.

Dominicanyor
Sep 12, 2013, 03:14 PM
Cool.

MRSucks
Sep 12, 2013, 03:18 PM
I want to JUMP and leave one / 2 part of duopoly. I want the unlocked 5s on T-Mo now (okay, as soon as it is available).

Does T-Mobile accept trade-ins for iPhone 5 so I can payoff ETF for my current carrier? Or would T-Mo help me with cost to finally get out of my current contract with my sucky & greedy carrier?

CEmajr
Sep 12, 2013, 03:31 PM

It varies by carrier. Last time I looked they were offering around $160 for the AT&T 4S. I think the Sprint one they were giving around $130

muadibe
Sep 12, 2013, 03:35 PM

You can only buy full priced unlocked if you want T-Mobile by paying through the Apple Store. The payment plan is only available through T-Mobile's stores or their own website.

PsstGreek
Sep 12, 2013, 03:41 PM
I want to JUMP and leave one / 2 part of duopoly. I want the unlocked 5s on T-Mo now (okay, as soon as it is available).

Does T-Mobile accept trade-ins for iPhone 5 so I can payoff ETF for my current carrier? Or would T-Mo help me with cost to finally get out of my current contract with my sucky & greedy carrier?

http://www.t-mobile.com/DeviceRecovery/cell-phone-trade-in.aspx

Slovak
Sep 12, 2013, 03:55 PM
nm

AceFernalld
Sep 12, 2013, 04:02 PM
Any word on down payments for the 32GB or 64GB 5s's? Same as iPhone 5?

jagsrock
Sep 12, 2013, 04:41 PM
The 16GB iPhone 5c will require 24 monthly payments of $22 per month for a total device cost of $528, while the 16GB iPhone 5s will require 24 monthly payments of $22.91 for a total device cost of $648.84.

:confused: - from my calculator...

5c - $22.00 x 24 Months = 528.00
5s - $22.91 x 24 Months = 549.84

Based on the total device cost the actual monthly payment on the 5s would be $27.04.

jeffhayford
Sep 12, 2013, 04:43 PM
The key here is that after the 18-24 months of paying off the phone your cost is now less because you're only paying for the plan at that point.

Whereas with other carriers you continue to pay the phone subsidy in the plan cost even after the device has been paid for.

That's where the cost savings come in and why it makes more sense if you plan to own your device & keep your plan after it's paid for.

CEmajr
Sep 12, 2013, 04:48 PM
Any word on down payments for the 32GB or 64GB 5s's? Same as iPhone 5?

$100 more for extra capacity so

$199 for 32
$299 for 64

Tiger8
Sep 12, 2013, 04:48 PM
:confused: - from my calculator...

5c - $22.00 x 24 Months = 528.00
5s - $22.91 x 24 Months = 549.84

Based on the total device cost the actual monthly payment on the 5s would be $27.04.

You are missing the $99 down on the 5s :D

ogremoustro
Sep 12, 2013, 05:16 PM
$100 more for extra capacity so

$199 for 32
$299 for 64

That would make it more expensive upfront than what the 5 32GB is right now. I think the 32GB will be in the $120-$150 range.

FelixAng
Sep 12, 2013, 05:38 PM
Will Tmo's iPhone 5S be as factory unlocked as the unlocked phone from Apple, or will it be Tmo locked for the first 90 days, at which point you can unlock it in-store?

drakino
Sep 12, 2013, 06:23 PM

The 4S does work on T-Mobile. And today, T-Mobile offers the iPhone 4 and 4S.

They don't see T-Mobile's AWS band, but it does see their other bands. I'm personally on a 4S today with T-Mobile. The 5S I'm upgrading to will be nice for a little extra coverage when I travel. But day to day where I live, the lack of AWS hasn't been a problem.

mlody
Sep 12, 2013, 07:08 PM
The 4S does work on T-Mobile. And today, T-Mobile offers the iPhone 4 and 4S.

They don't see T-Mobile's AWS band, but it does see their other bands. I'm personally on a 4S today with T-Mobile. The 5S I'm upgrading to will be nice for a little extra coverage when I travel. But day to day where I live, the lack of AWS hasn't been a problem.

If you are in re-farmed area, then yes 4S will work, otherwise, you will be stuck on Edge or no service

demodave
Sep 12, 2013, 10:11 PM

This is being completely overlooked by most of the readers. The phone charge is one thing (at least it is transparent, which is a plus, as compared to, say, AT&T, who I am thinking really hard about dumping), but the phone *service* charge (which is also profitable to T-Mobile) is an entirely different charge. So....

"You can buy the phone from us, but unless you pay us for the privilege, you can't use it. Is that a brick in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

JodyK
Sep 12, 2013, 10:34 PM
I have had every iPhone model ever made on Tmobile ... It was edge Internet for years! But I was in a wifi 90% of the day and paying half or less than what most people with an iPhone was paying.

Best bang for the buck! Now that they have refarmed their bands the 4G speeds are great!

smirking
Sep 13, 2013, 03:07 AM

Uh, you're wrong. You can bring an AT&T 4S to T-Mobile. I'm going to be doing that as soon as my AT&T Contract finishes this November.

My AT&T Coverage is really iffy where I live, but the T-Mobile isn't much better if at all so I'm gonna bring my device to T-Mobile to try it. If it's good I stay. If not, I buy an iPhone 5S from Verizon.

Hurda
Sep 13, 2013, 04:28 AM
Wait one second.
You get the 5c from T-Mobile WITH a contract for LESS than you get it from Apple without a contract?
What?! :eek:
So people getting a factory-unlocked device are being punished?

Tiger8
Sep 13, 2013, 07:41 AM
Wait one second.
You get the 5c from T-Mobile WITH a contract for LESS than you get it from Apple without a contract?
What?! :eek:
So people getting a factory-unlocked device are being punished?

It's almost same price ($520 vs $550), except you get to pay it over an interest free 2 year loan as monthly payments.

I think the best deal was when the 5 first launched on T-Mo, it was $580, $70 cheaper than getting it from Apple directly.

Hurda
Sep 13, 2013, 10:03 AM
It's almost same price ($520 vs $550), except you get to pay it over an interest free 2 year loan as monthly payments.
That's what I already said.
You get it cheaper from T-Mobile with 2 years of service compared to straight from Apple with no service at all.
How does that make any sense?

keatth
Sep 13, 2013, 10:08 AM
I am currently with Tmobile and have an iPhone 5 on a payment plan with $300 left. Does anyone know if I am able to add the iPhone 5s to my line under the payment plan and have another payment plan added on, so two payment plans with two phones on the same line/account?

edwurtle
Sep 13, 2013, 10:26 AM
That's what I already said.
You get it cheaper from T-Mobile with 2 years of service compared to straight from Apple with no service at all.
How does that make any sense?

1. The T-Mobile phone will be locked (unlocked when fully paid off)
2. It's only $30 cheaper and T-Mobile is getting a customer for 2 years

bnnentertainmen
Sep 13, 2013, 10:29 AM
this is why i love t-mobile, they think about their customers. really happy with T-mob.:)

halexists
Sep 13, 2013, 10:31 AM
There seems to be some confusion about the value of an "unlocked" iphone vs a T-mobile iPhone. T-mobile will unlock your payment-plan phone as soon as you pay it off (you may have to request it, but it's routine, not special exception).

There's a button you can press in the bill payment site to pay down on the interest-free loan any time you like, all the way to zero balance if you like.

chrmjenkins
Sep 13, 2013, 11:04 AM
There seems to be some confusion about the value of an "unlocked" iphone vs a T-mobile iPhone. T-mobile will unlock your payment-plan phone as soon as you pay it off (you may have to request it, but it's routine, not special exception).

There's a button you can press in the bill payment site to pay down on the interest-free loan any time you like, all the way to zero balance if you like.

Yup. That's why I feel no pressure to buy outright with them as my carrier. I get an interest free loan but I can instantly get out of my phone if I want to and sell it unlocked no issues with no interest in any scenario.

DaveN
Sep 13, 2013, 12:32 PM
What do all of you think about getting an unlocked 5s and using it on ATT's Gophone service? Does ATT really care or do they give you the boot?

I know the upfront cost is steep but you are definitely ahead after two years and your phone is unlocked. I ask because t-mo service isn't very strong in my neck of the woods.

yeah
Sep 13, 2013, 03:04 PM

No, they may do a $0 down-payment, with a ~$19 monthly payment for the phone. :eek:

The 4S GSM works with T-Mobile US, but you will need to be in a re-farmed area. :D

floatingspirit
Sep 13, 2013, 04:03 PM
ohhhh i see. So its the same price but just spread over the contract time.

Right, EXCEPT, there is no contract for T-Mobile. If you leave T-Mobile, you just have to pay off the phone before you go.

----------

Uh, you're wrong. You can bring an AT&T 4S to T-Mobile. I'm going to be doing that as soon as my AT&T Contract finishes this November.

My AT&T Coverage is really iffy where I live, but the T-Mobile isn't much better if at all so I'm gonna bring my device to T-Mobile to try it. If it's good I stay. If not, I buy an iPhone 5S from Verizon.

I did exactly that and my life is so much better for it! (Not sure what that says about the quality of my life in general, but at least it was very positive!) :)

JesseW6889
Sep 13, 2013, 04:11 PM
Can someone explain the compatibility of iPhone's to me? Will the 5s/5c work on any network, regardless of where it's purchased?

Irock619
Sep 14, 2013, 03:11 PM
Can someone explain the compatibility of iPhone's to me? Will the 5s/5c work on any network, regardless of where it's purchased?

If it is "unlocked" then yes. I just unlocked my 4s a couple days ago on AT&T. Now it can be used on any carrier.

12vElectronics
Sep 14, 2013, 04:43 PM
Can someone double check my logic. I'm currently with ATT, but if I was a new customer, I want to see what would be better.

AT&T
iPhone 5C- $100
Monthly service- $80 after taxes
2 year cost- $1920+$100= $2020

T-Mobile
iPhone 5C- $528
Monthly service- ~$68 after taxes
2 year cost- $1632+528= 2160

I know you get more from T-Mobile monthly plan (2.5gb vs 2gb Data) (Unlimited talk vs 450min).

Let's say I will be using the phone for 2 years, so I don't care if i'm in a contract or not.

Other than that, you end up paying more at T-Mobile?

mlody
Sep 14, 2013, 07:49 PM
Can someone double check my logic. I'm currently with ATT, but if I was a new customer, I want to see what would be better.

AT&T
iPhone 5C- $100

T-Mobile
iPhone 5C- $528

I know you get more from T-Mobile monthly plan (2.5gb vs 2gb Data) (Unlimited talk vs 450min).

Let's say I will be using the phone for 2 years, so I don't care if i'm in a contract or not.

If you are fine with the limits (minutes & data) and the 2 year contract then it looks like ATT is a better deal; however, with T-Mobile you will also get text messages and 500mb of hot spot. I doubt that ATT gives you that at that price point, so this is something to think about.
Also, do not forget about coverage - saving $100-200 over two years is not a deal when your phone is stuck with either no service or Edge data.

whitecraine
Sep 14, 2013, 08:06 PM

AT&T
iPhone 5C- $100

T-Mobile
iPhone 5C- $528

With T-mobile's current "no contract" pricing, you really start saving after you pay off the phone. The longer you use the phone after the first two years, the more you save. Also, it is expected that customers should pay a little more to not be bound by a contract. I also think T-mobiles new offer of $100 for unlimited talk-text-data for 4 lines is quite the impressive deal. You can even add one more additional line for a total of 5 lines for just $10 more per month! According to T-mobile, the equivalent plan at ATT is over $300 per mo. Even if you include phone payments ($20 per line) you still save $150 /mo. http://explore.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-family-plans

12vElectronics
Sep 14, 2013, 08:35 PM
If you are fine with the limits (minutes & data) and the 2 year contract then it looks like ATT is a better deal; however, with T-Mobile you will also get text messages and 500mb of hot spot. I doubt that ATT gives you that at that price point, so this is something to think about.
Also, do not forget about coverage - saving $100-200 over two years is not a deal when your phone is stuck with either no service or Edge data.

1. My pricing included Unlimited Text.
2. Why would I care if i'm on contract or not if I plan on using the phone for 2 years. Who jumps carriers every 6 months anyways?
3. I didn't know about the 500mb hotspot. That is worth something.

With T-mobile's current "no contract" pricing, you really start saving after you pay off the phone. The longer you use the phone after the first two years, the more you save. Also, it is expected that customers should pay a little more to not be bound by a contract. I also think T-mobiles new offer of $100 for unlimited talk-text-data for 4 lines is quite the impressive deal. You can even add one more additional line for a total of 5 lines for just $10 more per month! According to T-mobile, the equivalent plan at ATT is over $300 per mo. Even if you include phone payments ($20 per line) you still save $150 /mo. http://explore.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-family-plans

But who really keeps their phone for more than 2 years? I know I get the newest iPhone every 2 years.

Also, i'm talking about individual plans. Nothing about family plans.

mlody
Sep 14, 2013, 08:47 PM
2. Why would I care if i'm on contract or not if I plan on using the phone for 2 years. Who jumps carriers every 6 months anyways?

But who really keeps their phone for more than 2 years? I know I get the newest iPhone every 2 years.

Well, there are people who want to have the latest and greatest every several months, and there are also people who are fine with their phones and do not mind keeping them past 2 years mark and for a lot of them even spending $100 on a phone upgrade is unnecessary.

I am looking at ATT website - unless there are differences based on the zip code their individual plan for 450 minutes is $39.99, 300mb data $20 or 3gb for 30$ and unlimited txt costs $20. The cheapest combo comes up to $80 - not including taxes - are you also counting some kind of a work discount? Do you mind providing the break down of fees before the tax for the ATT plan you are looking at - I am just curious about it as it sounds pretty good to me?

12vElectronics
Sep 14, 2013, 08:51 PM
Well, there are people who want to have the latest and greatest every several months, and there are also people who are fine with their phones and do not mind keeping them past 2 years mark and for a lot of them even spending $100 on a phone upgrade is unnecessary.

I am looking at ATT website - unless there are differences based on the zip code their individual plan for 450 minutes is $39.99, 300mb data $20 or 3gb for 30$ and unlimited txt costs $20. The cheapest combo comes up to $80 - not including taxes - are you also counting some kind of a work discount? Do you mind providing the break down of fees before the tax for the ATT plan you are looking at - I am just curious about it as it sounds pretty good to me?

Yes I forgot to mention I am getting a 15% work discount.

I believe without the work discount it would be about the same over a 24 months period, however the extra .5gb of data and unlimited talk DO make the T-Mobile route a better deal.

KdParker
Sep 14, 2013, 09:35 PM
What a great price.....too bad t-mobile sucks in my area.

CL4W
Sep 15, 2013, 10:28 PM

You're talking Apples and Oranges here.
With T-Mobile you have 0 overages. If you go over your 2.5GB you are still able to utilize 2G speeds. Yes its slow, but its something to get you by. ATT will charge you $10+. You get Unlimited Minutes and Texts. Texts on ATT will cost you $20 additional.

At the end of the day its what matters to you, but comparing the two, T-Mobile is simply a better value!

JackieInCo
Sep 15, 2013, 11:00 PM
And not to mention LTE. On T-Mobile tonight, I am getting about 29Mbps downloads on LTE where as on AT&T, I am only getting 1Mbps down on LTE.

Maybe AT&T is getting too big for their own good.

I'm a huge fan of T-Mobile these days.

CharismaticNerd
Sep 17, 2013, 01:55 PM
Would you be getting the new t-mobile iPhone? Which has the same coverage as android phones?
And also would you be able to "jump" when you're ready to upgrade even though you haven't paid the phone off entirely?

Amazing Iceman
Sep 17, 2013, 11:31 PM
The key here is that after the 18-24 months of paying off the phone your cost is now less because you're only paying for the plan at that point.

Whereas with other carriers you continue to pay the phone subsidy in the plan cost even after the device has been paid for.

That's where the cost savings come in and why it makes more sense if you plan to own your device & keep your plan after it's paid for.

And an iPhone is a phone that could last you quite a few years. There's really no need to upgrade every two years.

----------

And not to mention LTE. On T-Mobile tonight, I am getting about 29Mbps downloads on LTE where as on AT&T, I am only getting 1Mbps down on LTE.

Maybe AT&T is getting too big for their own good.

I'm a huge fan of T-Mobile these days.

Plus you can tether your laptop without having to pay the "AT&T Penalty Tax".