PDA

View Full Version : iMac to Airport Extreme (for stereo) direct?

ehodder
Nov 25, 2005, 06:49 AM
first, yes, they have lured me away from PCs with the iMac.

I'm planning on picking up an iMac and an AirPort Express Stereo connection. I currently have an 802.11b network.

Will the iMac communicate directly with the AirPort stereo connection via 802.11g or do I need to upgrade my wireless router? I'm not concerned with upgrading the entire network to G at the moment but would like the fatter pipe for music. (Physical location of incoming internet is not located near the stereo and isn't moving.)

rdowns
Nov 25, 2005, 06:52 AM
If your router is b, then all connections will operate at b speed. Streaming music over the AE at b speeds works just fine.

Then again, I think you can set up a new network with the AE. Comments anyone?

betty02
Nov 25, 2005, 07:12 AM
If your router is b, then all connections will operate at b speed. Streaming music over the AE at b speeds works just fine.

Then again, I think you can set up a new network with the AE. Comments anyone?

Yes there are ways of setting up networks wit the AE, but i don't think its an easy process,

first, yes, they have lured me away from PCs with the iMac.

I'm planning on picking up an iMac and an AirPort Express Stereo connection. I currently have an 802.11b network.

Will the iMac communicate directly with the AirPort stereo connection via 802.11g or do I need to upgrade my wireless router? I'm not concerned with upgrading the entire network to G at the moment but would like the fatter pipe for music. (Physical location of incoming internet is not located near the stereo and isn't moving.)

The iMac will be able to connect with no problems im not sure if it will be via 802..11g although i may be wrong, but the stereo works diffrent, and like rdowns said aslong as your router is b then there should be no upgrades required.

Hope this helps, but i hope someone can expand on what ive said, as im not entireley sure (because i don't have a mac)

Thanks