PDA

View Full Version : I hate how i always find myself going back to the iPhone

WhiteIphone5
Sep 12, 2013, 11:21 PM
I wish i could love android and use it as my primary OS, but i always find myself coming up.

started with the S3 and loved it, but missed iMessage, the notification system, better camera (iphone 5) App selection and Mac integration.

traded my iPhone 5 with the note 2 and had it for 4 months, really was enjoying the S Pen and the big screen. But went back because of those features, and iOS 7. I just really like how smooth and fluid iOS is. Android 4.2 is smooth as well, but there is just something about iOS that i miss and want back. And now i have the iPhone 5...Again..

Reason I want to be an android lovers, is because Google, Samsung or LG don't **** their customers. Apple is like recycling ideas, while Samsung has many innovate features, and more hardware.. like infrared, NFC, and 1080P screen.

im not an iSheep because i admit that both companies are great and i try different products not only Apple products. I gave my brother my iPhone 5 and on the 20th i want to purchase another phone..

the Note 3 is far superior than the 5S. the 5S is the same **** as the 5 but with finger print sensor" other phones had this" and an improved camera. 64 bit processor( eh too early?)

but anyway the note 3 has a leather backing which is very nice, but i feel like if i get the Note 3 ill go back and get a 5S ughh
anyone else feel the same?

Ddyracer
Sep 12, 2013, 11:33 PM
You do what you want. Don't care, whether you hate or love android or iOS. Don't hate your desicions of your own taste that's ridiculous.

Vegastouch
Sep 12, 2013, 11:40 PM
Nope. I switched and never looked back. I dont even care what new features iOS may have. My biggest problem is which phone to pick because i keep them a while and the iPhone just isnt an option for me.

Sounds like you are just having seperation issues with Apple for some reason.
Too many other features on Android i like that Apple simply does not have and imo notifications are far better on Android where you say you missed their notifications on Apple. Cant wrap my head around that one but again, thats me.

dkersten
Sep 13, 2013, 12:21 AM
Its not something you can force. Either you can live with Android being your primary OS, or you can't. Either way there is no shame in it. To me it sounds like you want to distance yourself from the iPhone crowd (I've been there and was the primary reason I switched to a S3. And I know it was a stupid reason). However, I've come to really enjoy Android and will continue to use it in the future.

That being said, I am very interested in the 5S for some of the features, the most important being iMessage (none of my friends use 3rd party messaging apps and mostly have iPhones). I'll probably move to a 5S and Nexus and use them interchangeably. Point being, don't choose your phone based on appearances, views, etc. Pick a phone that you are comfortable with and enjoy using. If its an iOS device, so be it

T5BRICK
Sep 13, 2013, 12:42 AM
I switched and I haven't looked back. I've got an iPad for those times that I need to mess around with iOS.

To be totally honest, I found that I'm really only enjoyed using my iPhone when something new, software wise, was available. Right now I've been killing my battery at least every other day on my iPad because I'm playing around with iOS 7. When I'm tired of it, the battery will last a week or two again. With Apple, those situations only happen once a year(twice if a jailbreak is available). With Android, I can pick and choose different ROMs and mods and whatever to keep myself entertained.

MacRumorUser
Sep 13, 2013, 12:45 AM
There is no right or wrong answer. Liking one OS or just having a personal preference for it is OK. You do not need to seek or look for validation from strangers.

Likewise a company can add as many bells and whistles to a device as they want but if at the end of the day you simply prefer how another device runs then why worry about perceived innovation or lack thereof.

Just use and enjoy whatever device you have. If what you have feels right for you then don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks, just use it and enjoy it.

A life less insecure, simples....

F123D
Sep 13, 2013, 12:52 AM
The heart wants what the heart wants.

bradl
Sep 13, 2013, 12:57 AM
I guess Joan Jett said it best for this thread:

I hate myself for loving you
can't break free from the things that you do
I want to walk, but I run back to you
That's why I hate myself for loving you

Personally, I love my iGear, but just wanted to post this, as it was apropos.

BL.

WhiteIphone5
Sep 13, 2013, 12:59 AM
I guess Joan Jett said it best for this thread:

Personally, I love my iGear, but just wanted to post this, as it was apropos.

BL.

Lololo nice

----------

The heart wants what the heart wants.

If only the HTC one could run iOS .... :( lol

cole01
Sep 13, 2013, 01:18 AM
I know what you mean. I'm typing this on my 2013 Nexus 7 but I still prefer iPhone for my smartphone. It's fluidity and stability plus things like iMessage, the overall app quality, and Apple ecosystem keep me on the iOS side. That being said, my Nexus 7 is a GREAT device and I really enjoy the Android OS for numerous things. I'll probably always have a Nexus around to satisfy my sweet tooth. ;)

As much as I love iPhone, I'm torn about the 5s.

mKTank
Sep 13, 2013, 01:22 AM
I'd say get an iPhone as a phone and then get an Android tablet to feed your tinkerish side.

Every iPhone that came out so far had me excited and want to line up to get it the second it comes out. But this year, the 5S looks frankly pathetically dated and unimpressive. I really don't care about a better camera and a gimmicky fingerprint scanner isn't going to impress me for more than 5 minutes. It's a shame, really. Excellent hardware but the same boring dumbed down OS. Except this time "upgraded" to have even longer animations and eye candy fluff that just impedes workflow.

12vElectronics
Sep 13, 2013, 01:25 AM
Every time I think about switching to the Note, I remember that about after 2 weeks ill want my iPhone back.

Spacial
Sep 13, 2013, 01:29 AM
At the end of the day, it's all about what we, as individuals find that works for us. There is no perfect solution, but there is the sloution we each prefer. And it's that fact that we should celebrate :)

Technarchy
Sep 13, 2013, 01:38 AM
Every time I think about switching to the Note, I remember that about after 2 weeks ill want my iPhone back.

You are not alone. Though it's the GS4 in my case.

ChazUK
Sep 13, 2013, 02:09 AM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with ending up with an iPhone over all of the competition IMO.

Apple always pump out more than capable hardware so its no bad thing owning one. :D

We should think ourselves lucky we have such choices when it comes to phones nowadays.

throAU
Sep 16, 2013, 12:31 AM
Currently running a HTC one for an evaluation.

Things I dislike vs my 4s:

screen is too big (can't reach the top with my thumb 1 handed, the HTC One mini fixes this)
The home button is awkward to try and hit one handed without dropping the phone
the OK/cancel dialogs have cancel on the LEFT, which is in direct conflict with every other UI i use (FFS, why?!).
I've run into a couple of bugs (mostly fixed with 4.2.2)

I get my phones supplied by work for free, so cost is not a factor. At the moment (5 days in) I still prefer my 4s.

ReanimationN
Sep 16, 2013, 12:51 AM
Currently running a HTC one for an evaluation.

Things I dislike vs my 4s:

screen is too big (can't reach the top with my thumb 1 handed, the HTC One mini fixes this)
The home button is awkward to try and hit one handed without dropping the phone
the OK/cancel dialogs have cancel on the LEFT, which is in direct conflict with every other UI i use (FFS, why?!).
I've run into a couple of bugs (mostly fixed with 4.2.2)

I get my phones supplied by work for free, so cost is not a factor. At the moment (5 days in) I still prefer my 4s.

Isn't cancel usually found on the left, with ok/confirm being found on the right?

Hastings101
Sep 16, 2013, 01:03 AM
Just use whatever you like best lol

throAU
Sep 16, 2013, 01:05 AM
Isn't cancel usually found on the left, with ok/confirm being found on the right?

Not in Windows, OS X or any other operating system I can recall. OK is on the left and cancel is on the right.

ReanimationN
Sep 16, 2013, 01:24 AM
Not in Windows, OS X or any other operating system I can recall. OK is on the left and cancel is on the right.

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/stupid-freaking-popup.jpg?w=282&h=223

http://cdn.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/images/stories/2012/02/ios_permission_popups.jpg

http://cdn.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2012/11/IMG_0994.jpeg

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 16, 2013, 03:00 AM
There is no right or wrong answer. Liking one OS or just having a personal preference for it is OK. You do not need to seek or look for validation from strangers.

Likewise a company can add as many bells and whistles to a device as they want but if at the end of the day you simply prefer how another device runs then why worry about perceived innovation or lack thereof.

Just use and enjoy whatever device you have. If what you have feels right for you then don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks, just use it and enjoy it.

A life less insecure, simples....
This. My S3 had a lot more options for customization, the screen was bigger, I had more freedom with sharing photo's and other data, yet I haven't looked back since moving to the iPhone. For me it is generally a better everyday experience and for one thing I don't miss the lag I had with the S3. There is no right or wrong answer and it really annoys me when you see someone say that one platform is far superior to the other. That is simply wrong on so many levels. Android and iOS offer virtually the same thing but offer a very different experience in their delivery. Android has a lot more scope to share data and is open to the user, whereas iOS is tailored towards a certain way of operating. I actually like its layout and simplicity, and feel its closed garden approach makes it a much more stable experience. I enjoyed my Android experience very much too and still recommend it as an option to friends or family when they ask for advice. I can only share my own opinions and let people either use that as a pointer or not. It makes no difference to me what someone ends up doing, as long as they are happy with the choice.

Its always best to try out different options and see what is right for you. To the OP, if the iPhone keeps drawing you back then it obviously offers something you feel is important that you can't find elsewhere. There is no point trying to dislike something for the sake of it. Its a mobile phone at the end of the day and they all pretty much offer the same service. It is just user preference that sets them apart. :)

ChazUK
Sep 16, 2013, 03:07 AM
Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/stupid-freaking-popup.jpg?w=282&h=223)

Image (http://cdn.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/images/stories/2012/02/ios_permission_popups.jpg)

Image (http://cdn.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2012/11/IMG_0994.jpeg)

Looks like that issue remains in ios7 too... :p

http://www.chazclout.com/CV/Upload/images/imagejlj.jpg

DGPMaluco
Sep 16, 2013, 04:50 AM
I am almost on the same boat...

I have an iPhone 3GS, before that I had a 4S and I sold it and bought a really cheap galaxy s2 to give android a go for some months... What got me away from it was when it blocked during a call, when it lagged and when it simply wouldn't turn on again and I had to re flash the rom! Don't get me wrong here, these were just 3 situations in months but you guys know that iOS has a whole other level of smoothness!

On the galaxy I tried stock Samsung rom on 4.1.2
Jellybam 4.2.2
Omega Rom 4.2.2
And some other roms! None are problem free!

So my GF is using it for now and I'm with her 3GS... What really got me hooked up was the 4.3 screen of the GS2... I decided to wait and see if iPhone 6 would bring a bigger screen by idk if I can wait, apps are going to get updates and I might not getting them because of iOS 7.. Battery lasts half day on the 3GS, I ordered a new one for 10Ä let's see how that goes...

So I'm looking at the note 3 but I'm really afraid to get on the same android problems I had... I know android will eventually lag at some point, that's why android needs more hardware than other OS... But like I said I don't know if I can wait for the 6 and I don't know if I should go with a note 3.. Because in my country, paying full price is the only option and I'm afraid I might regret it!

Damn first world problems!

nixiemaiden
Sep 16, 2013, 07:57 AM
I know where you are coming from. Currently I have a 4s and an iPad 2. I ended up picking up a Nexus 7 and I like it so much that I have been waiting for a new Nexus phone to come out. I think I am going to end up going with a 5s though. There is just so much more developer support for Apple products. Just as an example, I use a fitbit on a daily basis and sync with my iPhone. According to them, it works with Apple but they have to go in and put coding changes in their app for every individual Android phone and they have to work with the phone manufacturers to get it to work...currently it only works with a handful of Samsung phones. So it is just frustrating that things can be so fragmented like that and it discourages developers from supporting Android.

To be honest, it is the only thing that I prefer about Apple and iOS over Android but I think that it is enough that it will keep me going back to the iPhone if I were to switch.

I still love my Nexus and use it more than my iPad...I just think I would get frustrated when things I could do on my 2 year old iPhone didn't work on my latest and greatest Android phone. None of this stuff works on my iPad 2 though so maybe if I had went with an iPad mini, I would never have considered Android to begin with.

Jibbajabba
Sep 16, 2013, 08:19 AM
Don't get posts like that ... You hate yourself for liking something?

Get a life I guess ...

Jibbajabba
Sep 16, 2013, 08:53 AM
Looks like that issue remains in ios7 too... :p

Image (http://www.chazclout.com/CV/Upload/images/imagejlj.jpg)

People tend to blindly click on the left button so I can imagine that this is a safeguard to avoid you downloading nonsense accidentally, accepting nonsense by accident or the likels.

Cnasty
Sep 16, 2013, 10:03 AM
I thought I finally found a good forum to discuss Android/Non-ios devices and other tech stuff.

But this board is nothing but a chest pounding, crotch measuring contest of Android vs. Apple.

I mean how much can it be debated where its so overly played and just boring to read over and over and over and over.

Its like you cant go into a device thread without "Apple is better, no Android is better!!!"

So freakin annoying.:mad:

DGPMaluco
Sep 16, 2013, 10:18 AM
I know where you are coming from. Currently I have a 4s and an iPad 2. I ended up picking up a Nexus 7 and I like it so much that I have been waiting for a new Nexus phone to come out. I think I am going to end up going with a 5s though. There is just so much more developer support for Apple products. Just as an example, I use a fitbit on a daily basis and sync with my iPhone. According to them, it works with Apple but they have to go in and put coding changes in their app for every individual Android phone and they have to work with the phone manufacturers to get it to work...currently it only works with a handful of Samsung phones. So it is just frustrating that things can be so fragmented like that and it discourages developers from supporting Android.

To be honest, it is the only thing that I prefer about Apple and iOS over Android but I think that it is enough that it will keep me going back to the iPhone if I were to switch.

I still love my Nexus and use it more than my iPad...I just think I would get frustrated when things I could do on my 2 year old iPhone didn't work on my latest and greatest Android phone. None of this stuff works on my iPad 2 though so maybe if I had went with an iPad mini, I would never have considered Android to begin with.

My GF has a nexus 7 but I find the form factor really annoying especially with the menu bar taking screen away...

I find myself constantly zooming in and out because of that

The Game 161
Sep 16, 2013, 12:46 PM
I wish i could love android and use it as my primary OS, but i always find myself coming up.

started with the S3 and loved it, but missed iMessage, the notification system, better camera (iphone 5) App selection and Mac integration.

traded my iPhone 5 with the note 2 and had it for 4 months, really was enjoying the S Pen and the big screen. But went back because of those features, and iOS 7. I just really like how smooth and fluid iOS is. Android 4.2 is smooth as well, but there is just something about iOS that i miss and want back. And now i have the iPhone 5...Again..

Reason I want to be an android lovers, is because Google, Samsung or LG don't **** their customers. Apple is like recycling ideas, while Samsung has many innovate features, and more hardware.. like infrared, NFC, and 1080P screen.

im not an iSheep because i admit that both companies are great and i try different products not only Apple products. I gave my brother my iPhone 5 and on the 20th i want to purchase another phone..

the Note 3 is far superior than the 5S. the 5S is the same **** as the 5 but with finger print sensor" other phones had this" and an improved camera. 64 bit processor( eh too early?)

but anyway the note 3 has a leather backing which is very nice, but i feel like if i get the Note 3 ill go back and get a 5S ughh

Sounds to me you love apple and the iphone no matter how good or bad it is..I would stick with apple as it is something you clearly like more wether it's a better device or not.

King Shady
Sep 16, 2013, 02:12 PM
My S4 is pretty awesome. Really the only upsides of having an iPhone these days (in my opinion) are iMessage, easy syncing from iTunes (I have so much trouble syncing playlists to my S4), and the App Store ecosystem. We'll see I may get one just because iMessage is so useful because the campus has ****** service and I depend on the Wifi

bigjnyc
Sep 16, 2013, 04:09 PM
This happened to me once. I switched and after 3 weeks couldn't take it any more. I ran back to iOS.... Never again.. no matter how wonderful and innovative the hardware and android features are I'll stick to iOS. So I learned my lesson after one try.

GKDAIR
Sep 16, 2013, 07:07 PM
Yeah I got a Nexus 7 2013 and I'm already trying to sell it to get the new ipad minis.

Android is just not as "smooth" as IOS, simple as that. For Android being as customizable as some people claim, the base launcher cannot do a lot of stuff that IOS can.

At first the tablet was great, but after owning it for roughly a month I can already start to feel slowdown, and my apps are crashing more. Not a good sign.

lsutigerfan1976
Sep 16, 2013, 08:38 PM
I am guilty of the same thing. I just sold my htc one and going to get an iphone 5 again. Although i am debating on adding a line and just doing the new 5s. But i just miss the iphone too much. Do not get me wrong, the htc one was a monster phone. I love the display. The sound was great, the ease of jelly bean and sense was awesome. Loved blinkfeed and nova. I just am one that am used to iphone so much. I cannot see myself parting with it. Even with the ugly ios 7. So i will decide by the end of the week whether to get a new one, or just go with old one (iphone 5). Either way. I am going back to iphone. Nothing against android and htc, but i think i am like the original poster. Something about it, keeps bringing me back to apple.

Southernboyj
Sep 17, 2013, 12:28 AM

I do. I LOVE Android, but I also find have a soft spot for iOS, since it was my OS choice for 4 years.

I use an iPhone for a few months, then I miss Android. I switch to Android for 6 months or so.. then I miss iOS. I just need to buy both. :mad:

Vegastouch
Sep 17, 2013, 12:34 AM
I do. I LOVE Android, but I also find have a soft spot for iOS, since it was my OS choice for 4 years.

I use an iPhone for a few months, then I miss Android. I switch to Android for 6 months or so.. then I miss iOS. I just need to buy both. :mad:

LOL,im just pretty set that i dont like iOS for my phone. Never missed it once i got comfortable with Android which took about two weeks.

Southernboyj
Sep 17, 2013, 12:59 AM
LOL,im just pretty set that i dont like iOS for my phone. Never missed it once i got comfortable with Android which took about two weeks.

I'm actually using an AT&T Galaxy S4 atm running a Android 4.3 Google Play Edition ROM. I might trade my phone for an iPhone 5 soon though. I want to give iOS 7 a full run through. :p

fredaroony
Sep 17, 2013, 05:12 AM
This happened to me once. I switched and after 3 weeks couldn't take it any more. I ran back to iOS.... Never again.. no matter how wonderful and innovative the hardware and android features are I'll stick to iOS. So I learned my lesson after one try.

Was there supposed to be a sarcasm sign after your post?

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 17, 2013, 06:44 AM
I'm in the same boat as you OP. I've switched to 5 different Android phones and I'm back on iPhone 5. I'm excited every time I leave and then I always end up back. I'm more confident than ever that I'll be gone for good with the Nexus 5.

Not only is Android up to par with iOS on smoothness and polish (stock android) but obviously it's surpassed iOS functionality wise.

This time I believe is so different because for the first time I am factoring in financial benefits of android into my decision. $349-$400 Nexus 5 contract free with a pre paid plan will be MUCH cheaper than any other high end phone/plan combination.

When you take that into account along with the faster pace that android software and hardware are moving it seems like the right choice. There's no way I'm waiting 2 years for a new phone anymore or paying a high monthly service bill.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

bigjnyc
Sep 17, 2013, 07:29 AM
Was there supposed to be a sarcasm sign after your post?

Nope totally serious

Cnasty
Sep 17, 2013, 07:37 AM
Every device in my home is an Apple device from AppleTV to an iMac to an iPad at work.

With that being said my phone will stay Android for a while as I have a Note 3 coming. Once I left the iPhone I asked myself what took me so long?

Pros and cons to both but I enjoy the different aspects of Android after having iPhones since they came out.When I need my iOS fix I pick up my iPad.

And yes for me, one of the biggest reasons is screen size.

Isamilis
Sep 17, 2013, 07:59 AM
Have you tried other than Samsung? I'm very interested in Sony Xperia Z1. It seems that the build material is similar with Apple and also the interface is smoother due to minimalist design and functional-oriented.

I wonder Android-IOS comparison is much biased from Samsung & LG products.

fredaroony
Sep 17, 2013, 08:36 AM
Nope totally serious

haha ok then...

WhiteIphone5
Sep 17, 2013, 09:52 AM
Have you tried other than Samsung? I'm very interested in Sony Xperia Z1. It seems that the build material is similar with Apple and also the interface is smoother due to minimalist design and functional-oriented.

I wonder Android-IOS comparison is much biased from Samsung & LG products.

Not sure but there is something about Sony's UI that I don't find appealing.
Yes I've tried the Nexus? That was made by LG too right? Humm
HTC 4G LTE, Droid incredible, HTC G1.

Dmaynard83
Sep 17, 2013, 10:09 AM
Yeah I got a Nexus 7 2013 and I'm already trying to sell it to get the new ipad minis.

Android is just not as "smooth" as IOS, simple as that. For Android being as customizable as some people claim, the base launcher cannot do a lot of stuff that IOS can.

At first the tablet was great, but after owning it for roughly a month I can already start to feel slowdown, and my apps are crashing more. Not a good sign.

I completely agree and the smoothness part.

Also android ui needs some work Aesthetically. Looks like poo.

DeathTheKid
Sep 17, 2013, 11:51 AM
I actually switched about a year ago to the iPhone and never looked back. I was on Sprint and switched to AT&T. I decided, since I had an iPad, that I would give the iPhone 5 a shot.

On a tablet or a desktop, I like being able to have a fine level of granularity and will sacrifice simplicity for the to customize every single bit of OS--this is why I have a Nexus 7. However, on a phone that is different. I prefer the simplicity of the iPhone and having a phone that gets out of the way and does what I need it to do.

roadbloc
Sep 17, 2013, 11:56 AM
OP. Use what you want. Most people don't judge your choice of phone. Most people don't care. Also keep in mind that there is no perfect phone, only different ones with many opinionated positives and negatives.

Finally, there are worse dilemmas in life.

Dontazemebro
Sep 17, 2013, 02:56 PM
I too miss ios just sold the 4s boo hoo hoo.

I don't understand how you can hate something you like?

If you like the iPhone then why do you hate going back?

Look this is what I do, if you can afford it. I keep the latest android. At the moment a GS4, but I'll upgrade here soon to the Note 3 and (had) the 4s but sold it in preparation of the 5s because like most others I thought the 5 was a waste of an upgrade, might as well get its more powerful twin when the 5s releases. So unlike most ignorant fanboys I'll enjoy the best that android has to offer right alongside the best of iOS.

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 17, 2013, 03:28 PM
I'd say get an iPhone as a phone and then get an Android tablet to feed your tinkerish side.

Best advice. Or vice-versa. Get some of both in your life. Android powered devices are so cheap and resale values so low on Craigslist, no reason you can't have one of both.

ChazUK
Sep 17, 2013, 04:40 PM
I've been disappointed with the iOS 7 experience on my iPhone 4 and wanted to give it a go on a phone so I got this today (used):

http://chazclout.com/CV/Upload/images/img0261.png

HTC One and iPhone 5 combo could be a good thing! :D

So much better than the 4 (which is to be expected TBH), it shouldn't have been updated IMO now I've seen iOS 7 run on decent hardware.

WhiteIphone5
Sep 17, 2013, 05:01 PM
I've been disappointed with the iOS 7 experience on my iPhone 4 and wanted to give it a go on a phone so I got this today (used):

Image (http://chazclout.com/CV/Upload/images/img0261.png)

So much better than the 4 (which is to be expected TBH), it shouldn't have been updated IMO now I've seen iOS 7 run on decent hardware.

The best combo :D

matttye
Sep 17, 2013, 05:20 PM

Image (http://chazclout.com/CV/Upload/images/img0261.png)

iPhone 5 is a beast aint it :D

I know iOS is somewhat limited but damn it flies...

ChazUK
Sep 17, 2013, 05:26 PM
The best combo :D

Definitely (until the 5s hits). :D

----------

iPhone 5 is a beast aint it :D

I know iOS is somewhat limited but damn it flies...

I've not had any real issues on A5 on my iPad mini, 2 or my old iPod touch.

It's definitely a performer that's for sure. :D

marc11
Sep 17, 2013, 05:26 PM
I switch in March. Thought I'd regret it. Now everytime I use my wifes or sons iphone ot feels archaic to me. To each his own. Use the os that fits you.

matttye
Sep 17, 2013, 05:27 PM
Definitely (until the 5s hits). :D

----------

I've not had any real issues on A5 on my iPad mini, 2 or my old iPod touch.

It's definitely a performer that's for sure. :D

Do you have iOS 7 GM installed? It's quite sluggish on my iPad 2. It's okay for the most part but some of the animations are choppy, sometimes it gets 'stuck' for a few seconds and there's a bug with changing the wallpaper where it takes about 20 seconds.

ChazUK
Sep 18, 2013, 02:15 AM
Do you have iOS 7 GM installed? It's quite sluggish on my iPad 2. It's okay for the most part but some of the animations are choppy, sometimes it gets 'stuck' for a few seconds and there's a bug with changing the wallpaper where it takes about 20 seconds.

Not on the iPads, only pn my phones.

Hoping it isn't too sluggish on the iPad 2 and mini. Sounds like there are a few links to work out still too.

matttye
Sep 18, 2013, 02:50 AM
Not on the iPads, only pn my phones.

Hoping it isn't too sluggish on the iPad 2 and mini. Sounds like there are a few links to work out still too.

It's bearable but definitely needs improvement.

clientsiman
Sep 18, 2013, 02:57 AM
To be honest I find iOS really restrictive and now with the iOS a bit childish for my taste. I also find samsung skin really ugly.

For me to enjoy android you must have a nexus device or install a custom rom such as CM, Paranoid, etc. The only thing that iOS is better is it's backup. It's definitely much easier migrating to a new phone. I am ok with titanium backup but apple's way is way better.

Navdakilla
Sep 18, 2013, 09:04 AM
I know what you mean. I'm typing this on my 2013 Nexus 7 but I still prefer iPhone for my smartphone. It's fluidity and stability plus things like iMessage, the overall app quality, and Apple ecosystem keep me on the iOS side. That being said, my Nexus 7 is a GREAT device and I really enjoy the Android OS for numerous things. I'll probably always have a Nexus around to satisfy my sweet tooth. ;)

As much as I love iPhone, I'm torn about the 5s.

I am the exact same.. I have the iphone 5 as my phone, but recently switched to the nexus 7 and sold my ipad 3.. I wanted more space and to be able to download stuff, which you can't really do on the ipad. So the nexus 7 is basically a computer to me, but obviously not even close to the cost of one (i wouldn't get anything but a macbook at this point)

onthecouchagain
Sep 18, 2013, 09:21 AM
iPhone 5C and 5S reviews are up. They sound like winners.

onthecouchagain
Sep 18, 2013, 02:26 PM
Verge's iOS 7 review: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/18/4741724/ios-7-review

I think it's funny that their bullet points of pros really reflect what has made Android so great (widget quick settings, better notifications, automatically organized photos).

Good Stuff

Control Center is really useful
Today makes notifications a lot better
The photos experience is much improved

Bad Stuff

Design is disjointed and confusing in places
Aesthetic improvements can't mask missing functionality
Icons everywhere are horrible

Welcome to the wonderful world of quick settings, iOS users.

jrswizzle
Sep 18, 2013, 02:28 PM
Verge's iOS 7 review: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/18/4741724/ios-7-review

I think it's funny that their bullet points of pros really reflect what has made Android so great (widget quick settings, better notifications, automatically organized photos).

Good Stuff

Control Center is really useful
Today makes notifications a lot better
The photos experience is much improved

Bad Stuff

Design is disjointed and confusing in places
Aesthetic improvements can't mask missing functionality
Icons everywhere are horrible

Welcome to the wonderful world of quick settings, iOS users.

I prefer Apple's implementation ;):p:D

onthecouchagain
Sep 18, 2013, 02:32 PM
Some choice quotes: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/18/4741724/ios-7-review

"Apple’s on a mission to convince buyers that it’s still relevant, still innovative, still interesting. iOS 7 is full of big, sweeping changes to that effect, and there’s real power in making something look fresh and bright, but in the end the new visuals don’t offer much change under the surface. Not yet, anyway."

I especially agree with the "not yet" part. Strangely, the iPhone 5S and iOS 7 make me far more excited for next year than anything.

"iOS 7 is still on most levels the same operating system it’s been for six years. Meanwhile Android has become a fun, efficient, flowing operating system that makes it easy to move data between apps, easy to share things, and easy to see only the information you need at the moment. Where iOS 7 still feels like jumping in and out of a series of apps, the best moments of using Android make it feel like a cohesive, unified platform."

Honestly, no surprises there. They can't jar their millions of user base too much.

A great and honest review from the Verge. These are iOS' shortcomings and it's good that people are talking about it on the journalistic front.

jrswizzle
Sep 18, 2013, 02:57 PM
Some choice quotes: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/18/4741724/ios-7-review

"Appleís on a mission to convince buyers that itís still relevant, still innovative, still interesting. iOS 7 is full of big, sweeping changes to that effect, and thereís real power in making something look fresh and bright, but in the end the new visuals donít offer much change under the surface. Not yet, anyway."

I especially agree with the "not yet" part. Strangely, the iPhone 5S and iOS 7 make me far more excited for next year than anything.

"iOS 7 is still on most levels the same operating system itís been for six years. Meanwhile Android has become a fun, efficient, flowing operating system that makes it easy to move data between apps, easy to share things, and easy to see only the information you need at the moment. Where iOS 7 still feels like jumping in and out of a series of apps, the best moments of using Android make it feel like a cohesive, unified platform."

Honestly, no surprises there. They can't jar their millions of user base too much.

A great and honest review from the Verge. These are iOS' shortcomings and it's good that people are talking about it on the journalistic front.

VERY much in agreement. That is a GREAT review. I'm excited to see where iOS goes from here. The right way to look at it is a new beginning (which is exactly how Ive describes it in the intro video). Not ALL the features that could be packed in will be packed in every OS update....for these things to happen every year, there HAS to be a somewhat iterative feel.

iOS 7 is a GREAT iterative step in the right direction. And I'm excited to see all the things Apple will do with it.

onthecouchagain
Sep 18, 2013, 08:16 PM
The gesture-back to go back is apparently only available in certain apps, and even within those apps, only available in certain instances.

I'll take Android's dedicated back button anytime.

----------

Wow, just finished watching Verge's video review. They really didn't hold back on what they disliked about iOS 7, and it sounds like there was plenty.

I'm suddenly less optimistic about the future of iOS. I guess this time next year, we'll see. Sounds like it isn't as major of a step as I thought it would be. All those "slow" animations would get tiring to me incredibly fast.

Anyway, if you're not going to read the Verge review, this is really worth your 6 minutes to watch:

B4PcV06hz9g

verpeiler
Sep 19, 2013, 01:29 AM
After the release of iOS 7 yesterday I can't think of coming back to the iPhone soon... It looks so unpolished and odd. Icons way too big for a 3,5" or 4" device, reminds me of a toy phone. IMHO it makes iPhones screen look even more tiny.

And apart from the appearance it's still the same old restricted os with just new paint over it.

But I agree, it's a step in the right direction even if some design decision were a bit over the top for my taste.I'm very curious what Apple has planned for future versions. And especially what they will do with iOS 7 for the iPad since at the moment it looks like a bloated phone (folders for one example).