Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I got a couple of questions for owners of the S4.

1. How do you get notifications on the lockscreen? I researched online and it said that you either have to root the phone to implement it on there or download an app. I don't want to do either of these things though.

2. What display mode do you usually use?

3. Do you have a micro sd card loaded in your phone?

4. *What do you usually do on your phone besides using it to call people?

Also anyone know what kind of earphones that comes with the S4. I am not familiar with the kind of earphones that the S4 is included with.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

1. How do you get notifications on the lockscreen? I researched online and it said that you either have to root the phone to implement it on there or download an app. I don't want to do either of these things though.

Q. What do you mean by notifications on the lock screen ? Messages, missed calls and such all appear on mine.

2. On a GE ROM none as there is only one. On touchwiz just use adaptive.

3. Yeah why?

4. Listening to music and utilisation of apps. Much like any smartphone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

1. Enable Lock screen widgets, and add communication notifications

2. Professional Photo which has the best whites and natural color tones, with less color bleed and higher text legibility.

3. Yes

4. Just about everything. Social networking, music, fitness tracker, movies, camera, book reading, navigation, light document editing and creation, etc etc.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Q. What do you mean by notifications on the lock screen ? Messages, missed calls and such all appear on mine.

2. On a GE ROM none as there is only one. On touchwiz just use adaptive.

3. Yeah why?

4. Listening to music and utilisation of apps. Much like any smartphone.

Like Facebook/other app notifications.

miltonbull

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Sweden

Also anyone know what kind of earphones that comes with the S4. I am not familiar with the kind of earphones that the S4 is included with.

1 Nothin I care much about, I got my LED light to show different colors for different notifications.

2. Dynamic and standard, I like those warm colors eventho they are not the most natural

3. yes a Samsung micro sd card with 64gb. I keep som tv shows on it + a few albums. Oh and I save my Spotify offline list on it, very good for that.

4. reading forums is the biggest usage. Also music, tv shows in bed, netflix and other streaming sites. Camera of course. I do most of my banking stuff as well. I have been able to do most stuff on my iPhone 5 but as many others said, the bigger screen really helps.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
3: A 64GB microSD where I upload my iTunes Playlists and videos that I moved back and forth between S4 and Tab3 8
4: It's my new Touch for music & videos; it's my main camera, and sometimes use it as a phone :D

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
1. Notifications appear on the lockscreen by default. Not sure why you'd need root for that.

That said, I am disappointed by the way Samsung implemented lock screen widgets in the S4. You cannot use lock screen widgets if you have security enabled.

2.Just changed to dynamic photo.
3. Yes. All photos go to the sd card.
4. As Samsung says, it is a life companion. Use it for everything I would do on my computer and then some.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I've had the Sandisk Ultra 64gb SDXC in mine and never had an issue. I've had it since launch day of the S3 and it was in that and my Note 2 before the S4.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas

Simple, don't use a passcode or any sort of security lock feature and then you'll be able to pull down your notification shade from the lockscreen.

Standard with adapt display checked

A 32GB I had from my old HTC Inspire. It's loaded with books, movies, TV shows, music, roms, mods, apps, photos, videos, comics, emulator games, work pdfs, and mainly just a bunch of random Internet downloads like funny gifs or zip files. I think that pretty much sums it up.

Calling people is probably the one thing I don't do lol. See I'm an engineer for one of the service companies in the oilfield and I spend a lot of time out at remote location sites (another reason why I use 2 different carriers) so therefore I get plenty of down time or as they like to call it "wait" time.

I use my GS4 mainly as my entertainment device, it's my hub or portal to the rest of civilization. Read tons of books, browse the Internet, catch up on twitter, peruse forums, check fantasy teams, watch movies, play games and then send my reports or whatever else I have to-do for work, though I mainly have a work lappy for that. During my weekends off I do more techie stuff like flash roms & mods and some light theming of whatever mood I'm feeling at the moment (minimalist right now)

Also anyone know what kind, of earphones that comes with the S4. I am not familiar with the kind of earphones that the S4 is included with.

Plain Jane white ear buds. They're not fantastic but they're not horrible either. Just so so

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Has anyone used the noise reduction on the s4?

Does it work amazingly well with a lot of background noises?

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Is it true Sandisk micro SD card are faulty on the S4 and other Samsung phones?

Wait...what? I've been always using SanDisk cards on my Samsung phones. All of them turned out fine.

In fact they are the most reliable I've owned, I had an Apacer 32GB card that died after a few months for no discernible reason. I also have a few Transcend and Kingmax cards, they work fine also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.