Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knowledge!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Hey guys,

I used the search function and only managed to find the sleeve/cases thread. It seems that the thread is more aimed towards general reviews, so I hope it's okay if I make another thread.

I'm looking for a protective case that isn't just a sleeve, but isn't as hard core as the pelican. I just need something that will protect the air if I put it in my 75L traveling backpack and I occassionally sit on it while I'm traveling (i'm not a fat dude, if that helps :p).

My problem with the pelican is that it's 4cm thick . I was looking at the booq viper, but it seems that it's really just a hard sleeve without much padding. The only other option that I could find is the Brenthaven Bx2 Sleeve.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

knowledge!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Polite bump as I've managed to put together a short list and would like to hear your thoughts on it.

- SFbag/Waterfield's smart case: looks solid + seems to have protection. No top cover, but I can live with that.

- Elecom Zeroshock: the padding inside looks topnotch, but most reviews are in japanese and I can't really get a sense for how rigid the exterior/shell is

- Hard Candy Bubble sleeve: rigid shell, which I like...but my concern is that there doesn't seem to be much padding inside. It has 4 rubberized corners to keep the macbook in place, but, I would be worried about flex in the centres because of that.

- G Form extreme sleeve: you can drop a macbook from 20 feet and it would be protected. But I wonder if it would still be protected for low-impact stuff like someone sitting on it. The polymer/armour in it works by stiffening upon impact, but I'm not sure if someone sitting on it would activate it for the protection to work. I'm waiting on them to confirm, but apparently this thing is 6cm thick; which would make it bulkier than a pelican case.

- 12South's BookBook: Rigid, leather case which I like...but it seems like it's lacking padding inside. Bonus points because it can pass for a book while I'm traveling and it's less likely to get stolen.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Booqbag's Viper hardcase. I've been using mine for 3 years, and it has been excellent for traveling. Just don't overfill it like they do in the pictures, there's not that much room inside.

http://www.booqbags.com/us/sleeves/viper-hardcase

Edit: Just saw that you mentioned the viper sleeve in your original post, not the hardcase. This one has sufficient padding on the inside to protect the MBA, in my opinion.

Last edited:

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Thanks for the reply! That thing is beautiful, but It's way out of my price range. I was looking for something under $100 as I still need to buy an invisible shield

I don't want to sound like a wisenheimer, but you want something light, protective enough for you to sit on it without damaging the computer, with a minimum of bulk for under $100?

Good luck, palie.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Polite bump as I've managed to put together a short list and would like to hear your thoughts on it.

- SFbag/Waterfield's smart case: looks solid + seems to have protection. No top cover, but I can live with that.

- Elecom Zeroshock: the padding inside looks topnotch, but most reviews are in japanese and I can't really get a sense for how rigid the exterior/shell is

- Hard Candy Bubble sleeve: rigid shell, which I like...but my concern is that there doesn't seem to be much padding inside. It has 4 rubberized corners to keep the macbook in place, but, I would be worried about flex in the centres because of that.

- G Form extreme sleeve: you can drop a macbook from 20 feet and it would be protected. But I wonder if it would still be protected for low-impact stuff like someone sitting on it. The polymer/armour in it works by stiffening upon impact, but I'm not sure if someone sitting on it would activate it for the protection to work. I'm waiting on them to confirm, but apparently this thing is 6cm thick; which would make it bulkier than a pelican case.

- 12South's BookBook: Rigid, leather case which I like...but it seems like it's lacking padding inside. Bonus points because it can pass for a book while I'm traveling and it's less likely to get stolen.

None of these things will help at all if he sits on it.

Bach2011

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
I may recommend not sit on it :D. I use Incipio Feather and drilled two holes for the dual microphones.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I rather like the Twelve South 'BookBook' cover. I know that the OP mentioned it originally, but it is a solidly made, attractive looking leather cover which affords decent protection to a MBA. Little elastic bands designed to slip over the corners of the MBA hold the computer in place, and the elegant leather offers robust cover.

Anyway, I have one and I must say that I rather like it.

knowledge!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Booqbag's Viper hardcase. I've been using mine for 3 years, and it has been excellent for traveling. Just don't overfill it like they do in the pictures, there's not that much room inside.

http://www.booqbags.com/us/sleeves/viper-hardcase

Edit: Just saw that you mentioned the viper sleeve in your original post, not the hardcase. This one has sufficient padding on the inside to protect the MBA, in my opinion.
Good catch! Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to try and take a look at the hard case today.

I don't want to sound like a wisenheimer, but you want something light, protective enough for you to sit on it without damaging the computer, with a minimum of bulk for under $100?

Good luck, palie.
I don't think you're being a Wisenheimer, but I don't think it's unrealistic, either. My 5.1 macbook lasted 5 years (it's still going strong - I just felt like it was time to upgrade) because my Brenthaven case was pretty good. Now I'm just looking for something built the same way, but with a hard outer shell, instead.

I'm also under the impression that the air should be just as sturdy as my old unibody if the case is right.

I was looking at these recently. Pretty cool but maybe a little larger than needed for my 11" MBA. http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1070CC

Amazon has the 1075cc for $40, have not looked carefully at the dimensions yet though: http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Produ...f=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379358234
A Pelican is probably one of the best cases you can buy for something that you really want to protect. Unfortunately, the 4cm makes it out of the question for me. Waterproof is pretty cool, though.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Why does 4cm eliminate it? Is 4cm going to keep your feet from touching the ground?

Serious question...4cm = 1.5 inches which is almost nothing for the protection provided by a Pelican.

Y So Jelly

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2013
I saw the TwelveSouth cover at Microcenter today.. it did not look as impressive as the pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.