Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mal5z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I can't say this with 100% confidence, but it happily appears that using Siri to create a calendar event that mentions someone's name (e.g., Dinner with Tom) no longer automatically adds that person as an invitee to the event. Siri will ask you to select Tom's email address, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything with it, such as add Tom as an invitee on the event. For those of us syncing to Google Calendar, means that Tom will not accidentally be sent an unwanted invitation. (I say "unwanted," because Siri also used to send the invitation if the title of the event was "Dinner about Tom," or "Dinner about robbing Tom", which could be awkward for Tom to be invited to attend.)

Anyone noticing the same thing? I'm so gun shy about it at this point that I still can't quite get myself to use Siri for calendar entries. But maybe if someone else confirms that they are seeing the same thing consistently.

prchord

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2010
Just tried this now and it doesn't seem to have sent an email invite. I have my Iphone default calendar set as my google calendar. I tried making a meeting with a friend and that friend DID NOT get an email. I also double-checked by going on google calendar-->edit event and saw that no invitations were sent (usually it will list who was invited). I guess it's fixed :)

AmplifiedLife

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
MPLStP
I can't say this with 100% confidence, but it happily appears that using Siri to create a calendar event that mentions someone's name (e.g., Dinner with Tom) no longer automatically adds that person as an invitee to the event. Siri will ask you to select Tom's email address, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything with it, such as add Tom as an invitee on the event. For those of us syncing to Google Calendar, means that Tom will not accidentally be sent an unwanted invitation. (I say "unwanted," because Siri also used to send the invitation if the title of the event was "Dinner about Tom," or "Dinner about robbing Tom", which could be awkward for Tom to be invited to attend.)

Anyone noticing the same thing? I'm so gun shy about it at this point that I still can't quite get myself to use Siri for calendar entries. But maybe if someone else confirms that they are seeing the same thing consistently.

It just happened to me. Embarrassing.

Before I could even confirm the meeting with the person, I told Siri to schedule it in MY calendar, so that I could at least reserve that time in my calendar, in advance.

Then I realized what I’d done. I knew this was a feature not a bug, but I did it anyway. And so I immediately deleted it.

Then I tried it on myself, to see what the other person saw, and it worked the same, and when I deleted it, it put a huge CANCELLED entry in my calendar. Not a good look.

I see no settings for enabling or disabling this feature. That should probably exist. I comprehend the verbal workarounds... But... cmon man. Embarrassing.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
It just happened to me. Embarrassing.

Before I could even confirm the meeting with the person, I told Siri to schedule it in MY calendar, so that I could at least reserve that time in my calendar, in advance.

Then I realized what I’d done. I knew this was a feature not a bug, but I did it anyway. And so I immediately deleted it.

Then I tried it on myself, to see what the other person saw, and it worked the same, and when I deleted it, it put a huge CANCELLED entry in my calendar. Not a good look.

I see no settings for enabling or disabling this feature. That should probably exist. I comprehend the verbal workarounds... But... cmon man. Embarrassing.
Anyone know how to disable this gosh darn idiotic Apple damn stupid so called feature?

The last thing I ever want is for Siri in its finite near zero wisdom to start emailing my work colleagues with a miss heard appointment text.

I am currently beside myself with anger anyone know how to turn off this idiotic feature?

Dictated on an iPhone so that some contractor can hear my anger.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Anyone know how to disable this gosh darn idiotic Apple damn stupid so called feature?

The last thing I ever want is for Siri in its finite near zero wisdom to start emailing my work colleagues with a miss heard appointment text.

I am currently beside myself with anger anyone know how to turn off this idiotic feature?

Dictated on an iPhone so that some contractor can hear my anger.
Isn't this thread about Siri not sending out emails, which means that this shouldn't be an issue.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I was hoping that people figuring out why it didn't would allow me to figure out how to prevent...
But if it doesn’t, then there isn’t something to prevent (given that it already doesn’t), right?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do you have anything useful to contribute as to how to ensure that Siri does not send email invites when I use it to schedule an appointment?
Just trying to understand, given that what's mentioned in the thread is that Siri no longer sends out invites.

Reactions: DeltaMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.