Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
that's real bad for microsoft.
let's hope they improve their OS instead of hiring big stars to endorse their products

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
So..... ?

So, when she does not get paid and is not gifted with free Windows Phone handsets she goes and picks a competitor product

It does not exactly reflect nicely on the company that paid her to promote their product, when immediately after her contract is over and she is free to chose what she wants, she chooses an iPhone over WP.

Do you really need everything spelled out to you like this or otherwise you don't get it?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So, when she does not get paid and is not gifted with free Windows Phone handsets she goes and picks a competitor product

It does not exactly reflect nicely on the company that paid her to promote their product, when immediately after her contract is over and she is free to chose what she wants, she chooses an iPhone over WP.

Do you really need everything spelled out to you like this or otherwise you don't get it?

I mean So.... Why should we care what a celebrity who was given a free phone but is now no longer contracted to a company chooses to buy a different phone. So a rich celebrity has bought an iPhone ? and ? should anyone here care ? Do you really think anyone who has bought a lumia handset is going to go give up their phone just because Jessica Alba has ? Seriously ?

Does anyone make life decisions based on what an over paid celebrity does ? If they do - have pity for THEM not Microsoft.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
I mean So.... Why should we care what a celebrity who was given a free phone but is now no longer contracted to a company chooses to buy a different phone. So a rich celebrity has bought an iPhone ? and ? should anyone here care ? Do you really think anyone who has bought a lumia handset is going to go give up their phone just because Jessica Alba has ? Seriously ?

Does anyone make life decisions based on what an over paid celebrity does ? If they do - have pity for THEM not Microsoft.

I don't think the point was that life decisions are being made based on celebrities. I think the point was that someone in a highly visible position was paid/incentivized to use a product and try it out for an extended period of time. After that time/benefit was over Microsoft was hoping she would stay on windows phone because she liked the way windows phone worked. This would show that all they have to do is get the phones into people's hands and then people like them. The fact that she immediately went back to a competitor after the required period was over shows that even after an extended use and learning period she preferred another os.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't think the point was that life decisions are being made based on celebrities. I think the point was that someone in a highly visible position was paid/incentivized to use a product and try it out for an extended period of time. After that time/benefit was over Microsoft was hoping she would stay on in because she liked the way windows phone worked. This would show that all they have to do is get the phones into people's hands and then people like them. The fact that she immediately went back to a competitor after the required period was over shows that even after an extended use case people prefer changing from windows phone.

But this also assumes that we can trust 'she only ever had one phone' at any given time. I'm sure she and her rake of helpers / aids had numerous phones / handsets and she was NEVER exclusively using any particular phone. She was just a paid figure head.

I still don't think the VAST majority of general public will give a hoot about this and those that are riding such insignificant news (compared to everything else in the world) have either too much time on their hands or feed their lives through the most shallow of celebrity gossip (does this even constitute celebrity gossip - its so non news worthy?) ....

I mean do we really believe Jay Z only ever uses Samsung phones (didn't Kanye give them both porsche design blackberries), that Alicia Keys really did anything for blackberry or that Robert Downey Jr solely has a HTC ?

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013

Man calm down.she got paid to promote windows phone for x amount of time while having an iPhone before she went with windows and she didn't go right back to an iPhone.she waited 4 months after her contract was up and decided I want to use my iPhone again.

Maybe she missed apps like instantgram and candy crush

Edit...I didn't even know she endorsed wp8 until this thread!

Last edited:

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
But this also assumes that we can trust 'she only ever had one phone' at any given time. I'm sure she and her rake of helpers / aids had numerous phones / handsets and she was NEVER exclusively using any particular phone. She was just a paid figure head.

I still don't think the VAST majority of general public will give a hoot about this and those that are riding such insignificant news (compared to everything else in the world) have either too much time on their hands or feed their lives through the most shallow of celebrity gossip (does this even constitute celebrity gossip - its so non news worthy?) ....

I mean do we really believe Jay Z only ever uses Samsung phones (didn't Kanye give them both porsche design blackberries), that Alicia Keys really did anything for blackberry or that Robert Downey Jr solely has a HTC ?

I completely agree with what you are saying about handlers and people around these celebrities, and even the celebrities themselves having multiple phones. However, I also believe you overestimate the ability of the general public to discriminate between advertising and real life. That is why people advertise. I agree that users like yourself and me can see through the ad bs and know what is really going on. I doubt that the general public is as skeptical as we are. I think their thought process is, Jessica used windows phone, now she's not. Something must be wrong with it if she got paid to use it and still won't stick with it.

I'm also right there with you questioning whether this is news and whether people actually will see this development. Most people don't care what phone she's using or don't know she even changed way back when.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

The only that thing that there is "to get" here is that noone even remotely gives a ******* what Jessica Alba thinks about smartphones. Perhaps teenage girls will care about what lipstick or clothes she prefers, but phones?

Maybe people would care if Anton Corbijn said he prefers the iPhone cameras over Nokia's, or if Coldplay went out and said they love to record song ideas on an iPhone? But Jessica Alba....smartphones? Get real. The only significant effect this will have from a marketing standpoint is that people will think Microsoft are idiots for getting Jessica Alba of all people to advertise their phones in the first place.

Last edited:

APhillyApple

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013

I guess you can point that same drivel at anything that is posted or said by anyone. The only thing that makes her different is that she is a celebrity, nothing more. Her opinion should be just as valid as anyone else, can you point that at yourself too? :apple:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
. Her opinion should be just as valid as anyone else, can you point that at yourself too? :apple:

Yes sure I can but the difference is it was likely NEVER her expressing an opinion to own a windows phone, she was paid to do so. And yes I fully am aware my thoughts and opinions are my own and equally as utterly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but again the difference is no one is trying to make them out to be so, or holding them up as some news story that is somehow indicative of something significant.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
IDK for someone that was paid to support a smartphone you would think she would know that phones nowadays have a front camera. I should get in touch w her stat to teach her where to touch :D

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010

It's not about persuasion, it's about the message. She switched the moment her contract ran out. It does not exactly send a good message towards Windows Phone.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
This thread is pointless. Drew Brees gets paid by Wrangler as well as Tide. Would it really make him look that bad if he purchased and wore a different pair of jeans? Or used a different detergent? Would it really make those companies look bad, or reflect bad on them? No. Celebrities don't endorse products based on what they like. They endorse products based on which company gives them the most money.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Windows Phone is going to crash and burn eventually. It's visually quite appealing, and Nokia has something really going for them with their amazing cameras, but the app support will just never be there and the general public isn't interested.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

Where's the haha funny part though?

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
It's not about persuasion, it's about the message. She switched the moment her contract ran out. It does not exactly send a good message towards Windows Phone.

She was no longer being paid to promote the WP message, so now she isn't promoting the image.

Either way, back under the bridge with you.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
Lol. This would be a good opportunity for Apple to sign and market her to why she dumped windows phone.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Lol. This would be a good opportunity for Apple to sign and market her to why she dumped windows phone.

Pretty sure Microsoft's lawyers added a few clauses in her contract about promoting other phones for x amount of time after her deal is up.

They probably put a 2-3 year in there as it would ruin any brand image she gave them in the first place.

I know a friend that worked in a pasta making factory and when he left he signed a clause saying he can't work in the field for 5 years because of what he learned.

Well guess what he did in that 5 years? He got a bunch of people together and built his own company and just went live this year 5 years after

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.