Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
One of my major gripes with iOS 7 Safari has to be the full screen mode. I don't like how the tabs button and forward/back buttons are hidden. I don't want to have to do extra upward scrolling every time I want to open a new tab or go back a page. Is there a way to have them always shown? Things like these will always keep jail breaking alive and well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No way to keep them always there, but there are some shortcuts that can speed things up.

You can go back by swiping right from the left edge of the screen, and forward by swiping left from the right edge if the screen, without even needing the toolbars or buttons.

Aside from scrolling up some, you can also usually get them to appear by simply taping once on the status bar at the top of the screen (another tap there would scroll you quickly to the top of the page), or by tapping once at the bottom of the screen where the buttons usually appear.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
One of my major gripes with iOS 7 Safari has to be the full screen mode. I don't like how the tabs button and forward/back buttons are hidden. I don't want to have to do extra upward scrolling every time I want to open a new tab or go back a page. Is there a way to have them always shown? Things like these will always keep jail breaking alive and well.

Google Chrome on iOS 7 is the same. The status bar is hidden until you click it. The drawback to that is you cant edge swipe to go back with Chrome like you can with Safari.

kas23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Google Chrome on iOS 7 is the same. The status bar is hidden until you click it. The drawback to that is you cant edge swipe to go back with Chrome like you can with Safari.

May have to just change to Chrome. You should at least be able to make the bar appear by tapping on screen.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011

Actually you don't have to tap (or scroll to) the top to reveal the controls.
You can just tap where they usually are, and the controls will be revealed.
So to open tabs, for example, all you have to do is double-tap in the lower right corner.
Or double-tap in the bottom left to go back, and so on.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So to open tabs, for example, all you have to do is double-tap in the lower right corner.
one of the occasional downsides though is if the page you are on has a link or a button or some control that appears at the bottom of the screen, so when you tap there are you trying to use that control or to get the toolbar to come up? I often go with tapping the top--either the address/URL that appears there or even the phone's status bar itself to avoid possible mis-taps at the bottom.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
one of the occasional downsides though is if the page you are on has a link or a button or some control that appears at the bottom of the screen, so when you tap there are you trying to use that control or to get the toolbar to come up? I often go with tapping the top--either the address/URL that appears there or even the phone's status bar itself to avoid possible mis-taps at the bottom.
In my experience it always brings up the toolbar first. Which is annoying if you actually wanted to click on the page...

kas23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007

Thank you. That works perfectly. iOS 7 is really turning out to be an awesome update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.