Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
I just looked at the att store and I was really impressed with the moto x.
I have the HTC one now if I switch will I be down grading in any way?
Thx.
I am a heavy data user if that helps.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I don't own it, but I would consider it a downgrade from the One. The screen isn't as good, the processor isn't as powerful, the design/build materials leave a lot to be desired, and the camera is GARBAGE. But that's just my opinion.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I don't own it, but I would consider it a downgrade from the One. The screen isn't as good, the processor isn't as powerful, the design/build materials leave a lot to be desired, and the camera is GARBAGE. But that's just my opinion.

I found the HTC's camera to be garbage too. The difference in screen isn't that noticeable. I like the edge to edge display on the X where even though the same size the One seems to have a bigger gap from screen to size to bezzle.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Forget about comparing specs between these two devices, because on paper the Moto X loses. Far better to compare real world usage. Every Moto X review I've read praise the device as being every bit as smooth as any other flagship device, possibly even more so. Battery life seems to be comparable as well. Cameras on both phones are generally considered subpar. Take a look at the differences between the two and pick what better matches your preferences.

Do you prefer a smaller device (that you may be able to customize) with an equally large display that's running near stock Android with a select few additional features (always on voice control, Active notifications, an app that recognizes when you're driving and adjusts the OS accordingly, trusted bluetooth functionality that allows you to bypass your phone security)?

Or would you rather have a bit more robust device with an aluminum unibody, awesome stereo speakers, with a manufacturers skin that adds some unique photo/video abilities and a native news/social network gathering app?

FWIW, I have a One and took a long hard look at the Moto X but didn't like the feel of the materials and didn't like the display color tones. Put the X's OS on the One and I'd be very happy. So I'm now waiting for the Nexus 5.

We can't tell you what you want in your phone--you need to figure that out on your own.

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
Thx for all the info here.
I have the one now speakers don't mean much to me.
I do need a good camera tho as I just use my phone for a camera.
I really liked the look and feel of the x and the smaller size to.
I just didn't want to loose on the web capability end as far as that goes.

----------

I also am waiting for the nexus.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Thx for all the info here.
I have the one now speakers don't mean much to me.
I do need a good camera tho as I just use my phone for a camera.
I really liked the look and feel of the x and the smaller size to.
I just didn't want to loose on the web capability end as far as that goes.

----------

I also am waiting for the nexus.

Camera wise the top contenders are the iphone, nokia lumia 1020, and galaxy s4, you won't be disappointed with those phones.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I found the HTC's camera to be garbage too. The difference in screen isn't that noticeable. I like the edge to edge display on the X where even though the same size the One seems to have a bigger gap from screen to size to bezzle.

The main camera isn't the most impressive thing, but for somebody who loves video blogging and Snapchat the front camera is out of this world. And while the X has the same size display, you actually get less of it because it has on screen buttons, which I severely dislike. I can see its appeal though.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I had one for a couple weeks and enjoyed using it. It's very close to stock Android, with little AT&T bloat. It felt great in the hand and was easy to use one-handed. Battery life was awesome. Camera wasn't as great as you'll see on some of the other flagships, but I didn't think it was as bad as some reviews made it out to be.

Ultimately, I just couldn't get used to the AMOLED display (coming from a Nexus 4) so I decided to take it back. Got an HTC One in its place and converted it to a Google Play edition - couldn't be happier with my decision. Essentially have a Nexus device with carrier subsidy pricing.

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
I had one for a couple weeks and enjoyed using it. It's very close to stock Android, with little AT&T bloat. It felt great in the hand and was easy to use one-handed. Battery life was awesome. Camera wasn't as great as you'll see on some of the other flagships, but I didn't think it was as bad as some reviews made it out to be.

Ultimately, I just couldn't get used to the AMOLED display (coming from a Nexus 4) so I decided to take it back. Got an HTC One in its place and converted it to a Google Play edition - couldn't be happier with my decision. Essentially have a Nexus device with carrier subsidy pricing.

How can I change mine to play edition?
And an not a big software tec guy so I might need good info on how to do it.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
How can I change mine to play edition?
And an not a big software tec guy so I might need good info on how to do it.

If you don't care about getting OTA updates and are able to have root, go with the link posted by SA Spyder. A custom ROM will give you essentially the same experience as the GPe, but you'll need root and won't get OTA updates from Google. If you want OTA updates from Google, follow the link I posted. It's got pretty detailed instructions and a video you can follow along with.

Reason I went with the actual conversion is I can't have root and use company email on the same device.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
As someone who has had both, I can easily say X over the One. The One is a good phone, but I do not think it's as good as the X. The One can tend to get EXTREMELY hot sometimes (especially when using GPS), while X never gets hot. Both devices have a very nice screen, and I don't notice any substantial difference between the two. The X has better battery life than the One. The X has software that is more useful in everyday situations (active notifications and Assist), than the One. All in all, I found the X to be a better all around device than the One.

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I just looked at the att store and I was really impressed with the moto x.
I have the HTC one now if I switch will I be down grading in any way?
Thx.
I am a heavy data user if that helps.

Personally I would choose the Moto X over an iPhone 10 or S50, there is useful innovation, good battery life, and looks really good!

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.

This is an absolute garbage post. Commenting like this on something you don't even own? Really? What made you feel qualified to even open your mouth?

OP, I've had the One and I have the S4 and Moto X now. I wouldn't trade the X for any other Android phone I've used, and I've had a lot of them.

Yes, the camera isn't as good as the S4, but there aren't many that are. That being said, it's miles better than the One's over hyped Ultrapixel crap camera. Can you get good shots out of the One? Sure. But head to head, I'd take the Moto X camera every time over the One.

And don't get me wrong, I loved everything else about the One. But in the end, the camera killed it for me.

As far as comparing screens, in real world use, you can't tell a difference. If you go looking at them, side by side, you might be able to see a bit of a difference, but it's negligible.

Obviously the One wins on the speakers, but the X's speaker is plenty loud enough and has better sound than my S4.

The Moto X is the only phone I can say you can't truly appreciate until you actually use it. It's amazing how just using it can convince you of how good it is. It's better optimized than any Android phone I've ever used, and that's saying something.

SA Spyder

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
This is an absolute garbage post. Commenting like this on something you don't even own? Really? What made you feel qualified to even open your mouth?

OP, I've had the One and I have the S4 and Moto X now. I wouldn't trade the X for any other Android phone I've used, and I've had a lot of them.

Yes, the camera isn't as good as the S4, but there aren't many that are. That being said, it's miles better than the One's over hyped Ultrapixel crap camera. Can you get good shots out of the One? Sure. But head to head, I'd take the Moto X camera every time over the One.

And don't get me wrong, I loved everything else about the One. But in the end, the camera killed it for me.

As far as comparing screens, in real world use, you can't tell a difference. If you go looking at them, side by side, you might be able to see a bit of a difference, but it's negligible.

Obviously the One wins on the speakers, but the X's speaker is plenty loud enough and has better sound than my S4.

The Moto X is the only phone I can say you can't truly appreciate until you actually use it. It's amazing how just using it can convince you of how good it is. It's better optimized than any Android phone I've ever used, and that's saying something.
Pretty sure the only thing the X has over the One is a daytime camera. You've downgraded twice, bub.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Pretty sure the only thing the X has over the One is a daytime camera. You've downgraded twice, bub.

You know what they say about opinions...they're just like a$$%&#@$...everyone has one.

Is the X's camera as good as the S4? No. But you people who are locked in with the One and try and justify being stuck with it for two years with that horrid camera by clinging to HTC's Ultrapixel "propaganda" really need to wake up and smell the reality. You bought in to marketing...nothing more. You got rogered but good by HTC and their marketing department, plain and simple.

It's a shame, too. Because everything else about the One is absolutely stunning (well, except for the fact that it takes FOREVER to charge). But other than the crappy camera, it's an amazing piece of tech. Why they didn't just throw in an updated One X or One X+ camera and call it a day is beyond me. Just an awful decision and one you're starting to see the results of with the layoffs announced on Friday.

I never said the X camera was better than the S4 or even my iPhone 5. But it's not as bad as people make it out to be, simple as that. And that's my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

SA Spyder

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
You know what they say about opinions...they're just like a$$%&#@$...everyone has one.

Is the X's camera as good as the S4? No. But you people who are locked in with the One and try and justify being stuck with it for two years with that horrid camera by clinging to HTC's Ultrapixel "propaganda" really need to wake up and smell the reality. You bought in to marketing...nothing more. You got rogered but good by HTC and their marketing department, plain and simple.

It's a shame, too. Because everything else about the One is absolutely stunning (well, except for the fact that it takes FOREVER to charge). But other than the crappy camera, it's an amazing piece of tech. Why they didn't just throw in an updated One X or One X+ camera and call it a day is beyond me. Just an awful decision and one you're starting to see the results of with the layoffs announced on Friday.

I never said the X camera was better than the S4 or even my iPhone 5. But it's not as bad as people make it out to be, simple as that. And that's my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Lol I didn't get the One because of its camera. You're assuming that everyone bought it strictly because of the camera, but you're very wrong there.

I bought mine for its speakers, screen, and build quality. The S4 and the X can't hold a candle to the One in these categories.

Frankly a very small amount of One owners actually care about any ultra pixel marketing or whatever it's even called. You still downgraded.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Lol I didn't get the One because of its camera. You're assuming that everyone bought it strictly because of the camera, but you're very wrong there.

I bought mine for its speakers, screen, and build quality. The S4 and the X can't hold a candle to the One in these categories.

Frankly a very small amount of One owners actually care about any ultra pixel marketing or whatever it's even called. You still downgraded.

Hey, good for you. BTW, I still own the S4 and iPhone 5, so how did I downgrade? If I want to use them, I've got them.

And since we're stating opinions here, in my opinion, the speakers on the One are overrated. Is the sound nice? Yes. But they don't get loud enough, especially when using speakerphone in a noisy environment (i.e. when using it hands free in a car). And the difference between the screens is negligible and not noticeable to the average user in everyday use.

The OS is better on the X, the notifications are better, and the reception is better. First and foremost, this IS a phone, so radios matter. The tiny little notification light on the One, that only shows red and green, is a joke as is placing it in the grill where you can only see it from straight on. Why even bother to add it?

Look, I've owned every flagship phone over the last year and I'd be happy to debate you on any of them. I'm not saying the One is an inferior phone...actually, it's great. But the Moto X is a fantastic piece of tech that has really great things that add to the user experience. Anyone that says otherwise either hasn't used one or doesn't know what they're taking about. Period.

SA Spyder

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Hey, good for you. BTW, I still own the S4 and iPhone 5, so how did I downgrade? If I want to use them, I've got them.

And since we're stating opinions here, in my opinion, the speakers on the One are overrated. Is the sound nice? Yes. But they don't get loud enough, especially when using speakerphone in a noisy environment (i.e. when using it hands free in a car). And the difference between the screens is negligible and not noticeable to the average user in everyday use.

The OS is better on the X, the notifications are better, and the reception is better. First and foremost, this IS a phone, so radios matter. The tiny little notification light on the One, that only shows red and green, is a joke as is placing it in the grill where you can only see it from straight on. Why even bother to add it?

Look, I've owned every flagship phone over the last year and I'd be happy to debate you on any of them. I'm not saying the One is an inferior phone...actually, it's great. But the Moto X is a fantastic piece of tech that has really great things that add to the user experience. Anyone that says otherwise either hasn't used one or doesn't know what they're taking about. Period.
I have Google Edition so I get the same exact OS: pure JellyBean 4.3. Also I have BLN which fixes the "issue" with the notification light.

The X is great, but the One is better.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I have Google Edition so I get the same exact OS: pure JellyBean 4.3. Also I have BLN which fixes the "issue" with the notification light.

The X is great, but the One is better.

Does it make the light bigger or move it out of the grill? No. So it doesn't "fix" the issue.

And you can keep saying the One is better all you want to make yourself feel better.

Doesn't make it true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.